Jason Dunstall Anyone???

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Poor bloke must be really struggling to keep his gigs on Fox Footy :D

Dunstall's new gig Tim Habel 18oct05

CHAMPION Hawthorn full-forward Jason Dunstall is the new chief executive of the Australian Jockeys' Association.

********! He'll end up eating all of them

Ahh this debate again, Lockett was the best there is no doubt, the figures show that , I saw Plugger win many a game off his own boot in some very poor sides.
If Lockett had played at Hawthorn his records could have almost doubled, having said that I respect Dunstall more for seeing out his career at one club.

MadMaxx said:
Dunstall would always give away goals to teammates in better positions, and do team oriented things like chasing/tackling.

Cost him some goals for sure, AS WELL AS making him the better footballer.

Plugger for mine was awesome to watch, but he was an undisciplined self centered player in the forst half of his career, and only turned into "Tony the likeable" in his last few years @ Sydney.

Question Bloods, what was your opinion of the guy when he ended Peter Cavens career?[/QUOTE]

Caven played in a premiership with Adelaide so Lockett didn't end his career.
Having said that I would have liked to have seen Lockett hung drawn and quartered after that incident but as soon as he signed for Sydney all was forgiven. :)

MadMaxx said:
Question Bloods, what was your opinion of the guy when he ended Peter Cavens career?

Surprisingly I absolutely loved him. He was always the player I loved watching the most. On Saturday nights, if St.Kilda were on the replay you could sit down and say "lets see how many Plugger kicked today".

As for him being 'selfish' that is a myth. He was definitely more selfish at St.Kilda but only out of neccessity as he played, predominantly, with hacks. He was the only reason they made the finals in '91 and '92. When he went to the Swans he wasn't atall selfish. The difference is Dunstall, generally speaking had good, confident footballers around him.

I don't recall him ending Caven's career either. Caven killed Carey in the '98 GF, long after Plugger polaxed him.

Dunstall was marginally better than Plugger over his career IMO. Some people say he had better delivery and played in a better team, which he did, but there is 2 sides to that argument. Dunstall shared a forward line with the likes of Brereton, Buckenara, Jarman and Hall during his time, and was the most unselfish player you could ever find, probably too unselfish at times. You could count Pluggers goal assists (and probably rightly so) on one hand.

Doesn't really matter anyway, as the great Peter Hudson was better than both of them.

This could open up the great debate again. Lets just accept that Dunstall, lockett and ablett were all just as good as each other, all great fullforwards who had different strenghts and abilities. If you think otherwise then i could come up with the perfect rebuttal, and vice versa. There is no point fielding our opinions once again.

MadMaxx said:
Mmmmm. 4 Premierships to a combined tally of 2 (both to Carey) from the other 3 players.

Kicked more goals in a game (17) than any of them, whilst still being a team player.

And would have been the leagues record goalkicker if not for the 2 knee injuries suffered in his 30's. He was 80 Goals ahead of Plugger when he did his first knee.

Bugger comparison, I reckon he was better than the 3 mentioned.

Has been a bit of a d1psh1t post football tho. I reckon that has affected public opinion about he onfield efforts.

Yes he's really slummed it compared to a thug, a drug addled adolescent brain and capain love rat.

Jason wast he best. - and believe me he spent half his career in a crap team

sainter35 said:
We could go on all day.....

Was the this discussion really around "who shared the ball better?" was it Locketts fault his saints/swans coaches employed a "kick it to Lockett" at all costs? Was/is this discussion about "Dunstall was nice to my kids one day ...so he is better???"

Put aside emotion and look at the facts:

1. Lockett played in a side that largely LOST - his goal scoring opportunities are less than Dunstalls (logic tells you that)

2 Steve Silvagni......greatest fullback of the century?????? - only 1 player took him to double figures (10) ....PLUGGER.... (he flogged Dunstall regulalry)

3. AFL's GREATEST ALL TIME GOAL SCORING MACHINE = Lockett.

Game over.

Dunstal - great player, champion, nice guy and I like him in the media (he's honest) but he was not as good as Lockett of that there is no doubt.

By that login Michael Tuck was the best player ever to pull on a guersney

7 premierships etc etc

Dunstall was the first full forward to perform all the 1 percenters, chasing, smothering, etc. And he was probably the first full forward to look for team mates in a better position rather than shoot for goal himself. In a way he changed the way the position of FF had traditionally been played. On top of this, he was a wonderful player. Maybe not as spectacular as Ablett, or as powerful a kick as Lockett, but Dunstall rarely, if ever, let the team down. He made Hawthorn great in the 80s. Added to this he was something full backs fear the most ... a full forward with brains.

It's true, Dunstall is underated, but what does it matter? His career was amazing. Probably the most consistent and succesful full-forward ever. There may have been better, but none even close to as reliable.

People don't often talk of his performance in finals. And a lot is made of Ablett, Carey and Lockett prowess in these games.

Ablett played in 4 GF, Carey in 3, Dunstall in 4 and Lockett in 1.

Have people got the stats for the other 3?

Dunstall - 86 (6 on the flying doormat), 88 (7), 89 (4) and 91 (6).

23 from 4 at an average of almost 6. Missed in 87 and ....

La Vache said:
It's true, Dunstall is underated, but what does it matter? His career was amazing. Probably the most consistent and succesful full-forward ever. There may have been better, but none even close to as reliable.

People don't often talk of his performance in finals. And a lot is made of Ablett, Carey and Lockett prowess in these games.

Nothing matches Ablett's game in the 1989 GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Nothing matches Ablett's game in the 1989 GF.

I was watching on telly like everyone else. Awe-inspiring. In fact that entire finals series was probably the best pressure footy I've seen played.

I'd rate his game Vs bombers in the prelim as even better than the GF. Unbelievable.

But what about the other Finals series? and the other three GF's?

sainter35 said:
We could go on all day.....

Was the this discussion really around "who shared the ball better?" was it Locketts fault his saints/swans coaches employed a "kick it to Lockett" at all costs? Was/is this discussion about "Dunstall was nice to my kids one day ...so he is better???"

Put aside emotion and look at the facts:

1. Lockett played in a side that largely LOST - his goal scoring opportunities are less than Dunstalls (logic tells you that)

2 Steve Silvagni......greatest fullback of the century?????? - only 1 player took him to double figures (10) ....PLUGGER.... (he flogged Dunstall regulalry)

3. AFL's GREATEST ALL TIME GOAL SCORING MACHINE = Lockett.

Game over.

Dunstal - great player, champion, nice guy and I like him in the media (he's honest) but he was not as good as Lockett of that there is no doubt.

Nah mate, games not over, this argument will go on for ever. Dunstall was clearly superior to Lockett in most facets of the game, anyone who has a modicum of knowledge about football knows this, but its all subjective aint it.

sainter35 said:
True...but Im not answering "who is more selfish"

1 to 1 as a genuine goal scoing machine Plugger wins hands down (Dunstall was/is extremely underrated by the way....a freak also).....it was a time when we footy goers were truly blessed... :thumbsu:
where in "Jason Dunstall Anyone???" does it say 'dunstall was better than lockett'.
this is merely a thread talking about a past great of the game and how his achievments were forgotten by the football public fairly quickly.
give it a rest.

Bloods said:
Dunstall was an out and out gun, but not as good as Lockett. Yeah Dunstall had injuries but plugger had more than his fair share too, not to mention suspensions. The other thing is Lockett, for more than half of his career played in ordinary sides so the delivery was nothing like what Dunstall got. I think Dunstall is underrated but he wasn't as good as Plugger.

Lockett kicked double figures 22 times.
Dunstall 16 (2nd all time so that's a great effort in itself)

Lockett kicked 7 goals or more in a game 72 times
Dunstall 58 (also 2nd all time)

They're respective records suggest that they're right up there with the best of all time.

I don't necessarily agree, I'd have had Dunstall in my team every time. Unless, my team wasn't any good. At which point I'd have plugger.

Lockett could do things on his own, but Dunstall was much better as part of a cohesive, functioning forward line. He was a team player, super on the lead (best mark in front of his eyes at full pace I have ever seen - considerably better in this aspect than Lockett), and was the sort of player who could make the most of a dominant midfield. Lockett was better one out in the square or on a short lead, not the characteristics that a dominant team needs. Dunstall was a smarter player, lead into space better, involved others and created space; exactly what the team streaming out of the middle needs. I guess each was more suited to their actual environments, and maybe that match brought out the best for them.

I always saw Lockett similar to Ablett, in that they were at their very best performing cameo's on their own. I kinda think your stats about double figures etc. to show no more than Lockett was perhaps less of a team player - though he often had less of a team as well.

In no way was Pigsy any less of a player than Lockett/Ablett, super, super player. Carey was a different type of player, with a different role and impact and should be compared to his peers.

Adelaide Hawk said:
Dunstall was the first full forward to perform all the 1 percenters, chasing, smothering, etc. And he was probably the first full forward to look for team mates in a better position rather than shoot for goal himself. In a way he changed the way the position of FF had traditionally been played. On top of this, he was a wonderful player. Maybe not as spectacular as Ablett, or as powerful a kick as Lockett, but Dunstall rarely, if ever, let the team down. He made Hawthorn great in the 80s. Added to this he was something full backs fear the most ... a full forward with brains.
On the money. And he's got four premiership medallions to show for it.

Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall were all tremendous full forwards. Dunstall was by far the best team man though. True champion.

superstar said:
On the money. And he's got four premiership medallions to show for it.

Lockett, Ablett and Dunstall were all tremendous full forwards. Dunstall was by far the best team man though. True champion.
Lockett would have had premiership medallions as well if he had of been in a side as good as what Hawthorn was at the time, what a silly comment.
Lockett will always be remembered before Dunstall, cold hard fact.
Ever wondered why Lockett has a grandstand named after him?

The Fireman said:
Lockett would have had premiership medallions as well if he had of been in a side as good as what Hawthorn was at the time, what a silly comment.
Lockett will always be remembered before Dunstall, cold hard fact.
Ever wondered why Lockett has a grandstand named after him?

John Elliot had a grandstand named after him, means nothing. Now thats a silly comment

La Vache said:

Dunstall also played in the 1985 GF against Essendon, I can't recall how many goals he kicked that day but it couldn't have been too many, as Brereton was the standout that day kicking 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jason Dunstall Anyone???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back