Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Are GWS looking to use picks 3, 12, 15, 18 and 19 purely for the draft? Or do they want to get some players in via trade?

Maybe we could upgrade pick 33 or 43 for one those later picks and offer up Byrne-Jones or Bonner?

We genuinely need to trade away a player for 2nd round. Can't see it happening another way.

Hayes, Drew, Bonner, DBJ, Farrell. DBJ with most value in that lot perhaps as an All-Australian and club BnF although he was off it best this year. I know he just resigned but yeah either him or Drew

In all seriousness North have actually done fine out of this deal. So have West Coast. GWS showed up, bent over and handed over the lube to make it work for everyone else, and I salute them for it.
Yeah I think north have done well. What more can you hope for to get for a player that wants out than a similar pick + a future 1st on top. That’s a good deal.

Also west coast, despite people knocking them to get out of pick 2 and the private school vic boys and into hewett territory , whose not far behind, if at all those vic boys plus get another pick. That’s good for them.

Ports given up a lot, but the fact we get future 2nds and 3rds back helps a lot,

In the end rozee butters jhf Bergman sinn to look forward too in our midfield.

I really rate that group of players as a future midfield. High end young talent there.

Yep, Adelaide are not giving up Thillthorpe for love nor money

One of the very few untouchable players on their list.

On paper though, that deal doesn't look too bad for North though, buts it's never going to happen (Crows fans would storm West Lakes if they gave up Thillthorpe)
Even Gold Coast players stayed the two years .

I’m all for sharing whispers, but making up shit is just stupid

As an aside, given their lack of decent and tradable young talent the Roos would want should he want to leave, it would still cost the Crows at a bare minimum two top 10 picks (including 1 in the first round) and qn early 2nd pick if he wants to go at the end of next year.

They would be compromising their already struggling rebuild if they traded for JH-F, they need to stop trying to place all their eggs in the one Horne-Francis basket, hard to see the Crows getting our of the bottom 4/6 region by 2025, esp with Tex, Atkins etc retired by then.

They are better off having a crack at JH-F at the end of his next contract extension (I assume) with North.

The AFC footy dept needs to be pragmatic and keep all their early picks for at least the next 3 years, in my opinion.

They are better off having a crack at JH-F at the end of his next contract extension (I assume) with North.
Honestly, I disagree with this, right now is potentially the best/only time the Adelaide clubs will get a chance this good, if JHF really does want to go home.

At the moment North are at ground zero in the rebuild, with bad footy and media shitstorm around the club. But I'm confident this is the worst we will be and the form will improve from here.

A 2 year extension at North would take him through to 2025, which should hopefully see our underperforming senior players replaced by Thomas, Simpkin, LDU, McKay etc. in their prime. It will be much harder to dislodge JHF if he's more settled in Melbourne and the team starts performing well.

The crows have been through this already with Gibbs, they'd be keen to avoid those mistakes again.

Honestly, I disagree with this, right now is potentially the best/only time the Adelaide clubs will get a chance this good, if JHF really does want to go home.

At the moment North are at ground zero in the rebuild, with bad footy and media shitstorm around the club. But I'm confident this is the worst we will be and the form will improve from here.

A 2 year extension at North would take him through to 2025, which should hopefully see our underperforming senior players replaced by Thomas, Simpkin, LDU, McKay etc. in their prime. It will be much harder to dislodge JHF if he's more settled in Melbourne and the team starts performing well.

The crows have been through this already with Gibbs, they'd be keen to avoid those mistakes again.
Agree with the logic. Either end of this year or next is the best time for the crows to make a play.
Beyond that and he likely stays until at least free agency.

As an aside, given their lack of decent and tradable young talent the Roos would want should he want to leave, it would still cost the Crows at a bare minimum two top 10 picks (including 1 in the first round) and qn early 2nd pick if he wants to go at the end of next year.

They would be compromising their already struggling rebuild if they traded for JH-F, they need to stop trying to place all their eggs in the one Horne-Francis basket, hard to see the Crows getting our of the bottom 4/6 region by 2025, esp with Tex, Atkins etc retired by then.

The AFC footy dept needs to be pragmatic and keep all their early picks for at least the next 3 years, in my opinion.
Atkins? no wonder your posting about us is so off base, you don't even know who's still on our list.

Few things.

Two top ten picks including one in the first round? I would think two top ten picks would infer two first round picks lol. Reality is crows 2022 first and 2023 first would meet this requirement. Probably even further. Two top 5 picks.

Adelaide needs more elite talent. That's a given. Especially in the midfield. There's no guarantee that would be available in the two top 5 picks referenced. Trading for JHF would give the crows certainty to at least build around one. Add in Thilthorpe and Rachele and there's 3 players of supreme talent, something that would make future prospective free agents think about wanting to join.

Atkins? What? He left AFC two years ago and can't get a game with GC. Think you lost your mind halfway through this post given your hatred for the crows.

It's actually very rare for a club to poach a player from an opposition club and then that club running a comb through the list to see who they want to draw out in exchange. It's not a clean process either unless both clubs knew from a long way out and the player/player manager had a long time to get comfortable with the move, especially interstate.

You're more likely to see a player manager steakknives one of the other players they manage into the deal so they get a bit out of it.

I don't think it would be unreasonable for Adelaide to put their 2022 1st round pick and their 2023 1st round pick on the table for JHF.

It also wouldn't be unreasonable for North to politely say no thank you, or even a not polite F off.

It's next year that it becomes a problem for North because the next play for JHF if he wants to go home is to have "personal reasons" to be back in SA for considerable chunks of 2023.

Adelaide, should they have their fans committed for the journey could have a terrible year after some veterans retire end of 2022, trying new players in new positions, finish last in 2023 and retain their first round picks in 2022, 2023 and 2024 while adding JHF to their squad.

Few things.

Two top ten picks including one in the first round? I would think two top ten picks would infer two first round picks lol. Reality is crows 2022 first and 2023 first would meet this requirement. Probably even further. Two top 5 picks.

Adelaide needs more elite talent. That's a given. Especially in the midfield. There's no guarantee that would be available in the two top 5 picks referenced. Trading for JHF would give the crows certainty to at least build around one. Add in Thilthorpe and Rachele and there's 3 players of supreme talent, something that would make future prospective free agents think about wanting to join.

Atkins? What? He left AFC two years ago and can't get a game with GC. Think you lost your mind halfway through this post given your hatred for the crows.

Fair enough, my bad about Atkins.

But still, the asking price for JH-F is around the mark I cited, although the PSD card at the next of next season is always possible (given I think Crows are almost nailed on to finish bottom 3 again in 2023

3 young rising talents (as you say is nowhere near enough to make a club exciting and viable to prospective free agents/OOC stars, Crows have hardly been a destination club historically anyway)

Surely you cannot argue that your current rebuild/drafting has been for the most part, poor ?

You wasted top ten/first round picks on Fogarty, McAsey, Jones and probably a couple of others.

Either that or your player development is abysmal (probably a bit of both

Even if you guys somehow get JH-F, your list still has more holes in in that Swiss Chesse, I cannot see Adelaide even contemplate playing finals before 2027 (and that is if everything goes right in your next 2 draft and trade periods)

Anyhow, I guess my point is don't look at or consider Horne-Francis as the Crows savior/messiah.

There is still a few more years of pain to go regardless.

It's a serious question. Winning too many games could cost the Crows two first round picks.

If JH-F has not signed an extension by the end of next season and wants to go home (which I don't think will happen but I digress) the Crows surely would play/use that card in order not to give up as much draft capital for JH-F if he nominates them.

This is all just idle speculation on my behalf though, that is one card the Crows have up their sleeve though, unsavoury as it is.

If he wants to go home.. North are better off letting him go at the end of this year.. tell him “look, you are still contracted and if we let you go it will only be in a deal with the Crows”… and then they can ask for the crows first this year (almost definitely a top 5 pick at this point) and next years first (more likely than not a top 10 pick)..

I think given what the crows offered them last year for pick 1 to get him that the crows would give them that for him this year..

If they wait till next year.. port enters the equation and if he picks them they might get nothing even close to that in return..

Crows might also improve next year making their 2023 and 2024 firsts less valuable..

Best for North to cut their losses early and get the best back for him that they can..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a serious question. Winning too many games could cost the Crows two first round picks.
If the crows end up below North next year, I don't know why he'd force a trade tbh. Would mean that the crows have gone backwards or North have made a substantial improvement.

If the crows end up below North next year, I don't know why he'd force a trade tbh. Would mean that the crows have gone backwards or North have made a substantial improvement.

If Adelaide sign him to an eight year deal he won't mind. Whether an interstate player will commit to that long is a different story.

I am not sure the crows finish below north next year but its only because we could be 17th and you guys 18th. But the only reason that he might go to the crows would be for a huge financial offer and then the fringe benefit that it gets him home at the same time. I suspect North could probably match any offer the crows made as big as what it might be able to be.

So I don't see a PSD option on the horizon for any side so it will be paying up IF he decides he wants to leave

If he wants to go home.. North are better off letting him go at the end of this year.. tell him “look, you are still contracted and if we let you go it will only be in a deal with the Crows”… and then they can ask for the crows first this year (almost definitely a top 5 pick at this point) and next years first (more likely than not a top 10 pick)..

I think given what the crows offered them last year for pick 1 to get him that the crows would give them that for him this year..

If they wait till next year.. port enters the equation and if he picks them they might get nothing even close to that in return..

Crows might also improve next year making their 2023 and 2024 firsts less valuable..

Best for North to cut their losses early and get the best back for him that they can..
I wouldn’t let him walk this year when he is contracted. If he picks Port next year and wants to move we will make it work.

Will Jason Horne-Francis still be at the Kangas in season 2024...

Surely now it's of great concern that he's put contract talks on hold after earlier seeming really keen and talking up the club positively?

Maybe the coach has lost the players if performances are an indicator so perhaps a change there might help?

To be honest I think North were crazy not to take Adelaide’s offer before the draft, it may come back to bite them.

Given the quitting of recruitment staff at North recently it’s says something is wrong there.

I’d say Adelaide may offer their first round pick likely top 5, a player (key position) and a future second round pick.

North should get a priority pick this year, god knows they need it, that will give them potentially 3 of the top 5 picks. Draft some Victorian kids and get back to rebuilding properly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

what was the exact offer last year... and what players did it end up equating to?

so according to this..

Adelaide made the enormous bid this week, putting pick 4 on the table along with their 2022 first-round pick and Melbourne’s 2022 first-round pick, acquired this week

So Rachele and who knows this year.

As he is contracted..it will have to be very much in Norths favour. Two R1 picks and maybe a juggle of other picks this year and then North should consider it IF he wants out. Its not like 20 years ago, drafting a kid doesnt give you his footy for the next 200 games etc...I think players are more comfortable than they have ever been with the idea of moving.

Next year if he is uncontracted , North will still get a good deal but they will have less leverage.

Last edited:
To be honest I think North were crazy not to take Adelaide’s offer before the draft, it may come back to bite them.

Given the quitting of recruitment staff at North recently it’s says something is wrong there.

I’d say Adelaide may offer their first round pick likely top 5, a player (key position) and a future second round pick.

North should get a priority pick this year, god knows they need it, that will give them potentially 3 of the top 5 picks. Draft some Victorian kids and get back to rebuilding properly.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Trading blue chip picks is incredibly high risk with extreme backfire potential a club may not want to deal with the potential consequences of. See: Pies trading their 2021 first and the Weller trade at GC. Imagine if Carlton traded Walsh away, they'd never hear the end of it.

Adelaide made the enormous bid this week, putting pick 4 on the table along with their 2022 first-round pick and Melbourne’s 2022 first-round pick, acquired this week
people keep referencing this trade but only presenting half of it.

The proposed trade had north sending some decent picks back the other way too.

I’d be more than comfortable redrafting him (running in the assumption that we finish last (distinct possibility)
as opposed copping some shit deal. He’s not a free agent.

Rachele re-signed with the Crows until the end of 2025, under no circumstances will he be part of any potential JH-F trade I would have thought.

Think it would be one of the biggest dog acts in footy history if JH-F requests a trade/walks out on North after only one season, especially with the club in its current state.

Very very unlikely that happens though, just speaking hypothetically.

people keep referencing this trade but only presenting half of it.

The proposed trade had north sending some decent picks back the other way too.

I get your point, its the same as the Cameron trade... Geelong gave up three R1's.... but no reference to what tehy got back. It's why I first asked what it equated to . It involved futures so the deal compaction is still in play.

I’d be more than comfortable redrafting him (running in the assumption that we finish last (distinct possibility)
as opposed copping some shit deal. He’s not a free agent.

It just would not happen. North get what they can ..and it would be substantial... and you move on. Players may not be free agents but its rare that a club wants to bring in an unhappy player like that. If North managed to get picks and bring in a couple of very talented kids...they will probably win in the long term.

Traded Jason Horne-Francis [to Port Adelaide in multi-club trade]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back