Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesse Hogan is twice the player Steven May is, and even if Melbourne decided to play Jesse Hogan down back, he would still be a better player than Steven May is.

Then why are the Dees so keen to trade Hogan and get May? Given that Hogan is 'twice the player' May is.

Barrett and others suggesting Melbourne would have accepted 5 and 23 kind of blows that out of the water. Also, Fremantle playing hard ball with Brisbane in relation to Neale kind of makes it hard to believe its Melbourne that were the difficult party. That newspaper story might work in WA.

This is an example of confirmation bias.

Barrett and others suggesting Melbourne would have accepted 5 and 23 kind of blows that out of the water. Also, Fremantle playing hard ball with Brisbane in relation to Neale kind of makes it hard to believe its Melbourne that were the difficult party. That newspaper story might work in WA.
We don’t want Lachie to go.
Melb are pushing Hogan out the door.

Don’t you see the difference?

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...e/news-story/e006f45f43ac968867a9f1f8df3c65d6

Who knows if freo would do it, or are just saying they would do it because they know Kelly won’t come. I suppose this helps Geelong and maybe helps freo to seem like they are willing to deal where they see it as fair.

From what I’ve read no/few freo fans would be willing to give up 11 for Kelly.
There's no confirmation in that article. It's just speculation. They've pieced those quotes together from unrelated discussions.

When Freo had 6 Melbourne would not have accepted 6 + 23.

Thats changed, they opened with 5+6 (or at least 5/6 + a decent first rounder).

So now Melbourne will accept 5 + 23, great but we don't have it.

Freo have to get Brisbane to budge from 5 on its own. Then this'll get sorted.

If Freo cop flack in the media about it so be it, clubs and players won't care. Next trade period all that will matter is what each team wants and what they have to get it done.

Last edited:
Melbourne looking over there list: damn we have to many tall forwards and we are short a decent defender, what to do?

Ohh look Brissy wants Neale that means Freo will have 5 and 6 in a super draft. Even better no list manager you beauty we are going to kill the pig here. Lets offer them Hogan for pick 5 and pick 6 and ohhh i don't know choose there best young bloke, that Cerra kid from last year, he looked a bit alright. They will gladly say yes as they are desperate and dumb and inexperienced and we can laugh and laugh as we then pick up May for pick 6 and go into the super draft with 5 and also have there young gun Cerra.

So question is how did the Incompetent Mahoney get it all so wrong?
No 1. Leaked Hogan viewing Freo to the media to get fans involved.
No 2. Came out with historic trade rubbish, very amateurish
No 3. Misjudged how valuable Neale is to us
No.4 Misjudged how valuable we consider Hogan
No. 5. Misjudged how valuable Hogan actually is.
No 6. Thought leaking info to media was a good idea
No 7. Gave freo an ultimatum. Either trade Neale and get us pick 5 plus 11 and 23 or walk away.

Freo walks away......

Melbourne are outraged how dare the big bad Freo not cave to our ludicrous demands. Now we can't get May or have pick 5 in the super draft

As i have said before the Melbourne board will be having a good hard look at Mahoney after this trade period, quite possibly the biggest misjudgment in trade history.
Turned out to be historic afterall

No. Players and managers will steer clear as they will be nervous a deal won’t be able to get done.

Freo will be less likely to attract marquee players than they have been in the last 10 years.
Lol sort of like WC and kelly oh i see so what your saying then is they cancel each other out then and neither impacts on trading in the future, good point well done

Remind me what WC payed for Elliot Yeo all the clubs must be dying to deal with them
In hindsight the Eagles got a great deal for Elliott Yeo, I can't be bothered having a look, you sound like you know anyway.

Which proves that the Eagles are "under smart management" and IMO would be a more attractive destination than the other WA club.

In hindsight the Eagles got a great deal for Elliott Yeo, I can't be bothered having a look, you sound like you know anyway.

Which proves that the Eagles are "under smart management" and IMO would be a more attractive destination than the other WA club.
It was pick #28

Considering they will be in premiership contention next year again i agree with you, just missing currency to trade good players in unfortunatly oh and salary cap

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm... it was confirmed 11 was on the table for Kelly.

No confirmation that any realistic offer has been put on the table for either Hogan or Lobb.

You need to get over pointing the finger at whose to blame here. If a club wants a player, they need to be the ones that make the play for the trade.

Freo haven’t done that with either Lobb or Hogan.

This post encapsulates the mistakes that many posters on here make. The trade week is not set up to gratify your urges to know what is happening. Sensible managers negotiate behind closed doors and don’t discuss what is happening through leaks and press interviews.

It has NOT been confirmed that Fremantle offered pick 11 for Kelly. Jon Ralph made that claim, presumably after talking to a list manager from Geelong or Kelly’s manager. Certainly Freo wouldn’t leak to that campaigner. I think it’s more likely that Geelong are trying to put pressure on the Eagles to improve their offer.

You don’t know if realistic offers have been put on the table for Lobb. You don’t know if the offers regarding Hogan and leaked by Melbourne were realistic either, because you don’t know everything that the list managers do.

It’s fine to speculate, but the whole story is not out there, just leaks from one side. All the little Nancys who are overreacting because the trades they thought were fair haven’t happened (yet), need to take a few breaths and relax.

Then why are the Dees so keen to trade Hogan and get May? Given that Hogan is 'twice the player' May is.
I would rather just keep Hogan. However Melbourne are in a very fortunate position to have Tom McDonald and now Weideman looks like he can fulfill his potential. May stabilises the back 6.
Hogan has apparently also asked for us to explore trade options as he wants to go home. He is OOC next year so from a club perspective we can capitalise on a key player wanting to go home.

I would rather just keep Hogan. However Melbourne are in a very fortunate position to have Tom McDonald and now Weideman looks like he can fulfill his potential. May stabilises the back 6.
Hogan has apparently also asked for us to explore trade options as he wants to go home. He is OOC next year so from a club perspective we can capitalise on a key player wanting to go home.

It's amazing why people are so suspicious about Melbourne being willing to do a deal that works for them. For the same reason, why did the Hawks want to trade Croad in 2001? Because it allowed them to do other things to improve their team - it's mature list management. Being honest to the media about it doesn't make it not good practice or diminish value because 'you are pushing them out'.

Trading players a year before they become out of contract is going to become more common as clubs can still get good value and spend salary cap space elsewhere. If it was me, I'd want Hogan over May but if Hogan is going to return home someday then there is definitely a good argument to trade him now, maximise value and shore up a structural need in your team.

Hmm... it was confirmed 11 was on the table for Kelly.

No confirmation that any realistic offer has been put on the table for either Hogan or Lobb.

You need to get over pointing the finger at whose to blame here. If a club wants a player, they need to be the ones that make the play for the trade.

Freo haven’t done that with either Lobb or Hogan.

#fakenews

What other fairy tales do you believe?

The Vic media is getting fed some cracker stories by the Dee's.

It's amazing why people are so suspicious about Melbourne being willing to do a deal that works for them. For the same reason, why did the Hawks want to trade Croad in 2001? Because it allowed them to do other things to improve their team - it's mature list management. Being honest to the media about it doesn't make it not good practice or diminish value because 'you are pushing them out'.

Trading players a year before they become out of contract is going to become more common as clubs can still get good value and spend salary cap space elsewhere. If it was me, I'd want Hogan over May but if Hogan is going to return home someday then there is definitely a good argument to trade him now, maximise value and shore up a structural need in your team.

Nah, just Freo supporters. Everyone in Vic knows he will head home someday.

Hell, in 2015, when Hogan still had 2 years to run, Freo supporters were running around like headless chooks saying he is ours.

So pretty much the opposite to what Belly did on Friday eh?

All the previous leaks to the media are ignored to focus on that one time Bell gave a statement to a reporter and you don't see the bigger picture there?

It was a two fold play. It was saying that we aren't playing your game and you can hear about it in the media how you've been conducting negotiation via the media thus far.

We shouldn't be hearing anything about negotiations.

Looking forward to hearing how Bell goes “cap in hand” to Melbourne to try and re start negotiations for Hogan.
Given he has already pissed Melbourne off I suspect negotiations will start on Melbourne’s terms.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jesse Hogan [traded with #65 to Fremantle for #6 and #23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back