Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geary touched on something important in his post game interview. Last year we played on 5% more than the next closest team. We seemed to play a more tempo style game today. In last year's JLT series we were nearly at 1:1 (kick to handball ratio) and we finished the season pretty close to that ratio. Today we had 231 kicks and 152 handballs and last week was similar. That's a big shift in game style. If we can clean up our ball use, IMO we will trouble a lot of teams. Great to see Bruce launching at them and Marshall needs to be given every opportunity to play in the ruck. Newnes looks more like that player he was in 2017. Our pressure looks likes it's back but just needs to be eased off just a touch so we don't give away as many free kicks. Overall I was satisfied with the effort today.

I agree that it's going to be tough to drop Dunstan now but I don't like the look of the side with him there. He's be our 4th best mid at best but the fact he can't play various roles hurts us.

Hunter Clark is still behind him as an inside mid, but you can play him of a flank or a wing and know he's going to give you something.

He most likely won’t but where does he play when not in the middle. Same goes for Steele and Ross. This happened last year and many whinged about Steele being on the wing. Well if we have to many who can’t play elsewhere then the same thing will have to happen. And it will mean gesh and Clark hardly get a run in the middle
Based on today i'd still prefer Gresh fwd with the occasional run on the ball, prob the same with Clark. Granted Steele. Dunstan and Ross are strictly mids
But last week Steele managed to snag a couple and Dunstan regularly snags 1 or 2 when pushed fwd...That leaves R..... I'm not going there
Again as he obv won't be dropped for Rd 1. So who goes out then? As someone else mentioned Wilkie, Hind or sinclair and Lonie or Parker
I'd be going with Hind and Parker to stay in!

8-17 clearances but how many due to iffy free kicks?

139-148 contested possessions but contested possessions include free kicks (excl OOF) which were 14-40.

All things considered, Dunstan & Steele looked pretty good as a contested midfield duo.

Would definitely go Marshall over Pierce & Longer. But what if Paddy doesn’t get up? Do we go Marshall & Pierce or bring in Acres? Marshall’s value was as a marking target around the ground, not up forward, in my opinion.

There’s going to be some selection headaches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks a fair way off I think
Disappointing but not suprsing. I really want to see him at AFL level this year. But its looking like he will still get a chance at rd1 since Austin hasn't been played in JLT.

All reports suggests Joyce has come on leaps and bounds. Do you think Joyce and Brown can play in the same defence come rd2?

Disappointing but not suprsing. I really want to see him at AFL level this year. But its looking like he will still get a chance at rd1 since Austin hasn't been played in JLT.

All reports suggests Joyce has come on leaps and bounds. Do you think Joyce and Brown can play in the same defence come rd2?

Yes they can. Joyce looks a different player.

I note Afl.com had Battle listed in the best today somehow

Not sure how he went defensively, but Battle was much more prominent today.

5 disposals and 1 mark last week,
16 (@ 100% efficiency) and 6 today.

Definitely a better effort today, but he needs to be used as that third tall that zones off or really improve his defensive work. He looks like a fish out of water in the one on one stuff when the footy's coming in.

He's got plenty of time to learn, but I wouldn't be having him as a key defender just yet.

Bit of a scrappy game, but I’m honestly pretty pleased with the way we look for a few reasons:
  • For the second week in a row, we haven’t let a team get a huge run-on against us. It’s clear our defensive structures are working better and our whole gameplan is more controlled and less frenetic and haphazard meaning our structures are holding better. The fact we were murdered by the umps and in clearances backs this up even more. We bent but didn’t break today defensively....a great sign.
  • A bit linked to the above, we are thinking through situations way more. There are still errors but we aren’t just doing the same thing over and over and over again. We don’t just handball to a runner going past EVERY time or bomb it long EVERY time. We are much less predictable
  • The improvement in these JLT games has come against 2 teams we haven’t matched up against well for a few years. So this tells me that, even though it is JLT, these gameplay changes are going to be significant for us in a good way.
Overall, a really positive JLT for us. A promising collective effort and some real steps forward.

I didn't see one in the second half, haven't seen the first. Maybe once I see it Ill have a better perspective

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Come on, surely you heard the Bronx cheers from our supporters when we got our only two free kicks...in the fourth I think.;)

Yes they can. Joyce looks a different player.
Reckon Brown looks really good this pre-season. Could well have the legs to play CHB this year and rotate with Joyce like him and Jakey did last year

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back