Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Never said he won't make it as a backman mate, just got a lot of work to do.

He's got plenty of time to learn and he has shown a few good signs. Needs to improve his one on one stuff.

Let’s not forget he’s played less than 10 games, and all those forward.

Let’s not forget he’s played less than 10 games, and all those forward.
I'm not forgetting that. We were asked how he looked. I said he's still a long way off.

Not once did I say he should be dominating now, nor did I say he will never get there.

I'm confident he'll do well there, but he's not there yet.

I'm not forgetting that. We were asked how he looked. I said he's still a long way off.

Not once did I say he should be dominating now, nor did I say he will never get there.

Was just a passing comment. Not an attack on your opinion.

Because of injuries & suspensions he’s being forced to play as a second tall defender when he should really be a third. Think we’ll see a better version when he has a chance to play the role he’s suited to.

Dunstan is the worst of our mids. Slow. Sloppy disposal. Lazy.
Steven plays first round even if he is underdone.
Geary - Joyce - Webster
Savage - Battle - Roberton
Billings - Steele - Newnes
Kent - Bruce - Gresham
Long - McCartin - Membery

Pierce - Ross - Steven

Hunter / Dunstan / Hind / McKenzie

Toss up between Pierce and Marshall
After todays game also I feel Gresham will only play short bursts in the middle

Parker , Lonie are stiff to miss out but I feel you can't have 5 small forwards in the 22 or you could take out Hind , but he gives a bit more I feel.
Parker looks great , but feel he does't do enough over 4 quarters and Lonie didn't help his cause today.

The umpiring was a bad as some of our tackling. We know the Bulldogs stooge for free kicks, but they are smart players. So we have to be smarter with our tackling and spoiling.

Given the clearance differential our team defense held up really well. I thought it was a promising team performance.

Worrying Paddy with another clumsy head knock. I guess its his illness but sometimes he just seems to have no sense of awareness, when other games he looks ok?

If we can teach Marshall to be stronger and more adept in the ruck, we will have a seriously good player on our hands. People are stating he played against a kid in English, but he has been the AFL system as long as Marshall.

Our flat footed midfield will destroy us against the top sides, but hopefully Steven and Hannebrey can address that. I also liked the look of Long in the short bursts he had up the ground. Adds a touch of speed and kicking class.

They must be on the take, they don't give a shit about actually officiating to two sides sometimes.
I know that we shouldn’t be offended by commentators and expert shows and footy talk shows ... but I feel it’s the same there too. I’d like to not care, but then we’re stuck with listening to it! Both games I have felt a completely one sided commentary on the opposition and very much so on the positivity side (even though we had won both). Guess we need to earn respect, but doesn’t really feel like our last two opponents have exactly earned that. Anyway. Carry one. Squibbing over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think when you have a good backline, you can play not that well and still win. That's what it felt like to me today. I really liked Battle's game, along with Joyce, Robbo (obvs), Geary, Savage, they all played well and just look really comfortable with each other and the system. They'll get better too which is exciting.

I really liked how we transitioned it a few times like lightning and scored.

More good performances from a few. Bruce, Membrey both looked good, liked Steele again, liked Billings. Kent slots in seamlessly. Seb seems to be coasting, hopefully plays a bit better in the real stuff. I thought Dunstan had another decent game.

We struggled to get centre clearances which is going to be important this year with 6-6-6. Hopefully Hannebery and Steven are back in the side soon for that reason. We tried a few other players in there like Long but we were just smashed in the centre (Dunstan seemed to be the one guy getting in there for us).

Long very rusty first half but great in the second.

Thought Marshall was ok in the first half but smashed it in the second against English. Gets the first shot for mine - have a feeling he is determined to improve and he can play anywhere.

Shame about Paddy, has it been confirmed as a concussion?

Very interested to see who gets first crack in the 22. I think Newnes is a lock. A few on the periphery will be Sincs, Parker (think he'll play), Lonie (think he plays too), Hind, maybe Clark? I hope Paddy gets up for Rd1.

We need to tidy up our tackling. The free-kick count was so lopsided but a big part of that was our sloppy tackling. Having said that I love having a bit of mongrel back in the side.

Our ball movment in the first quarter was looking sublime. After that we started to get a bit rushed. Anyone who understands the tactics more then I, know what changed?
I think it’s as simple as the Bulldogs upping their pressure and Bevo tweaking their defensive positioning at quarter time to deal with what we were doing, meaning the game became scrappy from then on.

In modern footy against good coaches like Bevo, they won’t let you play like we did in the first for too long without making adjustments.

3rd in CP's for us today (with 11), 2nd for clearances (with 5, next best 4), and equal-5th for tackles (with 5), was, you guessed it....

Newnes. 👍

Also a very nice lead-up mark and goal.
If he was a new recruit he’d be in the running for awards. Good to see him back. Like his aggression.

Our ball movment in the first quarter was looking sublime. After that we started to get a bit rushed. Anyone who understands the tactics more then I, know what changed?
Dogs improved their pressure. It was non-existent in the first.

3rd in CP's for us today (with 11), 2nd for clearances (with 5, next best 4), and equal-5th for tackles (with 5), was, you guessed it....

Newnes. 👍

Also a very nice lead-up mark and goal.

Looks back to his old self.

Will be a huge loss if Roberton is forced to sit out, footys not really important when these things can happen. I really hope he pulls the plug.

Pretty sure he is trolling hence why I ignored him

Not trolling.

Dunstan has some good games, but is extremely inconsistent and is a one trick pony.

Ross, Steele & Steven can all get contested possessions and clearances. But they can also run, spread and hit teammates.

Last week Dunstan only had 15 possessions.

If he is a walk up start in our 22 all year then we are going backwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back