Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Just home from the game - drive from Ballarat is a little longer than Marvel!

A few thoughts from watching in person.

Really noticed Dunstan at the stoppages - always seemed to have his hands on the pill even if he want winning clearances he was in the thick of it.

Newnes was great on a wing

Parker might be our Cyril in the sense that’s he seems like he has a lot more of it than what the stats suggest - not sure if that’s good or bad the last two weeks it feels like he’s done a lot more that 16 combined possession would suggest.

Joyce was fantastic today - some great spoils, used it well under pressure a couple of times - could well become an elite FB if his development continues.

Gresh and Clark didn’t seem to have much impact today

Finally stood about 6 feet away from Max King today and he is bloody enormous - can’t wait to see him in action

Dunstan 10 tackles, 12 contested possessions & 8 clearances (most on ground) & only played 76 minutes. By comparison Steele had 10 tackles, 13 contested possessions & 4 clearances in 101 minutes. Dunstan has sewn up a round 1 spot in the 22.

Went to game pretty happy drive home .

Watched Seb Ross really closely today hoping he is coasting because only went one way today & only getting
an easy kick gifted from a teammate.
Number of times was not prepared to help his teammates out very very noticeable today.

Marshall absolutely fantastic played on Jackson Trengove and did fantastic job ran to the right spots too.
Wouldn’t say English is not going to be good player for dogs too in a year or 2 either.

Was really impressed with Hind ran hard linked and used the ball really well early.
Newnes appears to be back this year.
Battle was sensational because every disposal was spot on.
Have to play Long , Kent was good , Steele going to be very good , Bruce & Robbo great.
Can’t play Dunstan , Ross , Steele in starting quartet.
Disappointing game by Gresham today but he will hopefully have learnt something

Last edited:

So, my thoughts - apart from the real concern for Robbo and the selfishness of him being irreplaceable. I think I’d forgotten what a good footballer and leader he was. Then add Paddy who’s really showing a bit now. Yeesh

I’ve been one that’s been very buoyant. I always felt last year was heavily driven by confidence/ lack of self belief that fed into ball movement, fed into slight missed tackles, not doing the out of the ordinary etc. (by the way I’m amazed that we are going to slow down things - feels like all we did last year was chip it back and forth in our backline. Saints defenders were SuperCoach gold).

That’s felt like it’s changed and there’s an inner determination, more leadership, and simply we’re going to be slicker, more pressure, better.

That game as a spectacle was god awful. We looked great early. Then they got their hands on it more and then we messed around and went into our shells. I just hope it’s the fact that there were two teams playing very similar very defensive mindsets.

The positive is that we won. And we won despite that. I do think we’ll be better. But I must admit I was expecting to build on last week. Perhaps the heat and the getting used to running that defensive pressure played a part.

Very hard to pick out good players. I would say that we should give Gresh another go at it though. He’s seemed very comfortable other times; out it down as a bad one? I did feel he was frequently there, his handle was just off.

Newbies showed a lot early and then disappeared. Bruce in good nick. Paddy’s movement. Marshall played well. I stil liked Billings. I liked what Battle and Joyce did. The latter is a god send. He’s just a newb, there’s probably a heap of growth left in him as a player. Longy excellent late.

We have so few really high level players though, so I’m expecting a heap more from Seb.

If mccartin gets concussed from an innocuous contest like that then that is the end for him . My tip is 3 more during the season then forced retirement

How good is it to have a bit of campaigner on field again?

Great to see tackles sticking, harder and hurting.
Billy Slater effect?
Giving away silly frees but 40-14 says a lot about more than just about Saints players. Our players will improve their standard but can the same be said of the other.....

Continue being bold and agressive to the ball carrier.

Transition looks better and passes better. Still missing plenty of targets.

Last edited:
Went to game pretty happy drive home .

Watched Seb Ross really closely today hoping he is coasting because only went one way today & only getting
an easy kick gifted from a teammate.
Number of times was not prepared to help his teammates out very very noticeable today.

Marshall absolutely fantastic played on Jackson Trengove and did fantastic job ran to the right spots too.
Wouldn’t say English is not going to be good player for dogs too in a year or 2 either.

Was really impressed with Hind ran hard linked and used the ball really well early.
Newness appears to be back this year.
Battle was sensational because every disposal was spot on.
Have to play Long , Kent was good , Steele going to be very good , Bruce & Robbo great.
Can’t play Dunstan , Ross , Steele in starting quartet.
Disappointing game by Gresham today but he will hopefully have learnt something today.

And whilst Stevic & Rosebury weren’t great that would have to be one of the worst , inconsistent umpiring
performances by McInerney someone at the club internally should mention it ..the guy has form in the past.

From AFLs Mitch Cleary’s match report...

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge admitted he was "surprised" at the 40-14 free kick differential in favour of his team but conceded the Saints were hungrier for the contest.

Interesting to note that the three umps were not exactly novices...Stevic, Rosebery and McInerny. I wonder if the club asks for clarification ever? Wouldn’t think Lethers would be too afraid to ask the questions.

PADDY - how can he not know that backing back at an almost 45 degree is suicide. Does nothing other than get in the way of our attacking forwards and hurt yourself. I feel
he puts himself in that position to be "tough" The coaches need to pull him aside and say NO. leave ego out of it or youll have no career.
Play smarter not harder.

So frustrating. We need him and robbo firing.

Parker, Kent, Hind - great pickups.
Long - this kid is a gun. Newnes may actually be good this year.
NBrown is important to our back structure.

What is wrong with AUSTIN, MCKENZIE and COFFIELD.

I know its silly to read into these games but wins are always pleasing. Paddy is too brave for his own good - I have no issue with him being smarter going forward even if it impacts his play. Acres and Steven back in will be a big boost. Backline is fragile, ironically was one of our stronger points in recent years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker and Hind while very good in the early stages seemed to completely disappear after half time. Not sure the reasons, but we can’t carry two players like that against good sides in the home and away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newnes with a bunch of CPs and tackles..

if he just couldn't tackle last year because of injury, I'd prefer the club just say so, rather than keeping it on the low. It's not good for the supporters, cos then we just think he's playing bruise free footy and resent it.

It'd be better to just say, 'yeah newnesy is having a bit of trouble with his shoulders so he's not able to be as physical as he or we'd like, but we still need him out there for his experience given the age profile of our group'.

Parker and Hind while very good in the early stages seemed to completely disappear after half time. Not sure the reasons, but we can’t carry two players like that against good sides in the home and away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogs pressure went up. they started to really compete with us. that's when things get hard for the state league players making the next step. based on what i have observed of parkers two years at south, that's when he crumbles. that's his big issue. when things are going well, he'll be fine, but when he's up against seasoned opposition really cracking it, he tends to disappear completely. it's why long is miles ahead of him IMO. long doesn't have that trait. he gets going. he cracks in harder.

now that may change for parker, but nothing today suggested that was the case. but he has time to work on that. we've got him early. hopefully it does.

on hind, i'm not sure.

newnes with a bunch of CPs and tackles..

if he just couldn't tackle last year because of injury, I'd prefer the club just say so, rather than keeping it on the low. It's not good for the supporters, cos then we just think he's playing bruise free footy and resent it.

It'd be better to just say, 'yeah newnesy is having a bit of trouble with his shoulders so he's not able to be as physical as he or we'd like, but we still need him out there for his experience given the age profile of our group'.
Or we can celebrate the fact he's back to his best...

3rd in CP's for us today (with 11), 2nd for clearances (with 5, next best 4), and equal-5th for tackles (with 5), was, you guessed it....

Newnes. 👍

Also a very nice lead-up mark and goal.
He's off my watch-list completely with this start to the season. Adding the tackling in this week sealed it. Great to see. I've taken Geary off my watch-list, mainly because I can't watch when he kicks. That just leaves Seb. Thought he was better today, made some decent moves in tight but composure is still miles off the level we need him at imo.

Parker, Long, Hind, Marshall. These guys almost need to play in my book if only for the fact that they make our team far, far, far more watchable. That's kind of important for the club after last year. Don't think Marshall will be able to ruck against the Gawns and McEvoys for a whole day though, but he showed a lot as a solo ruck option today.

Parker and Long will piss opposition teams off, and that will get our competitive juices flowing a bit. Lonie tries to annoy the opposition, but it's just embarrassing. Long and Parker mean business.

As for Paddy, I was only watching on TV but he presented a lot up the ground in the first half and I thought we missed that a little bit when he went off. Clumsy way to enter a contest again, and I thought getting taken out by Long's chest might be a sign he's not just big enough to play the way he's been playing. Having said that I'd almost written him off at the end of last season, so am pretty happy with his start for the year despite playing 2 first halves and effectively zero second halves in the JLTs.

Well after our 2 preseason games it looks we actually are a better side than the Roo's and the Dogs , you can add the Suns , Dockers , Hawks , Blues , Port , Lions , Swans to that list.

That is 9 gettable wins and we play the Suns , Carlton and Dockers twice , that makes 12 wins

of course we can lose them all , but at this stage I feel we we only get better every game we play.
Just seems we have some structure to our game plan now.

Well after our 2 preseason games it looks we actually are a better side than the Roo's and the Dogs , you can add the Suns , Dockers , Hawks , Blues , Port , Lions , Swans to that list.

That is 9 gettable wins and we play the Suns , Carlton and Dockers twice , that makes 12 wins

of course we can lose them all , but at this stage I feel we we only get better every game we play.
Just seems we have some structure to our game plan now.

Actual footage of Premium trying to keep the lid on 2019 after today's JLT win...

HeartySomberIcelandichorse-size_restricted.gif

8-17 clearances but how many due to iffy free kicks?

139-148 contested possessions but contested possessions include free kicks (excl OOF) which were 14-40.

All things considered, Dunstan & Steele looked pretty good as a contested midfield duo.

Would definitely go Marshall over Pierce & Longer. But what if Paddy doesn’t get up? Do we go Marshall & Pierce or bring in Acres? Marshall’s value was as a marking target around the ground, not up forward, in my opinion.

There’s going to be some selection headaches.

Thanks for reminding me about free kicks being contested possessions. Couldn't fathom that we had lost the contested poss count, but take free kicks out, and we win it comfortably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back