Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We've played two sides that have had the wood on us recently and won. And despite them being pre-season/practice games with managed minutes, the opposition cracked in and were trying to win. The game today got pretty willing at various points. So clearly there was a desire to win from both sides. And with a crippling free kick count against. I did see many of those frees I must admit, but saw a few 'not paid' to us as well. I'm massively encouraged though. Some real spirit emerging. Dampeners with Robbo and Paddy. Hopefully that all works out.

I said last week that despite the enthusiasm everyone has for our new guys they only came into the game again with flashes. Can't see many starting in early rounds. Experience will count. Despite the criticism Dunstan is a definite. Not sure what Ross is doing. Agree with an earlier poster that thought he was cruising. Good player though. Hopefully a bit more impactful when we get into the real stuff.

Marshall looked good. Seems stronger and fitter. He's got some good skills so he could be very handy for us. Lonie and Gresh a bit out of sorts compared to game 1, whereas Long was terrific I thought. And Newnes back to his form of 2-3 years ago. Must have been injured last year because it was a very uncharacteristic season for him.

Interesting selections for R1. Some will be rightly disappointed, which is a good position for us to be in.

Last edited:

I make a note to check the free kick counts in bulldog games, and it looks like this game today really took the cake. Was it as frustrating to watch as the numbers imply?
Yes. Many were there if a bit tiggy touchwood. We were a bit sloppy it has to be said. Some of my fellow supporters may not agree! But then those kind of nothing free kicks didn't go our way. Consistency is probably all you ask.

Caleb Daniel was interviewed at half time and said they spoke about how this game was as important as R1, so you'd think they were having a crack. Especially after losing to GC last week and not wanting to go into the season winless, after finishing bottom 6 last year.

They were also closer to full strength than us, and of course got 40 free kicks- which, when you think about it, is a ridiculous number. 40 times they got to go back, and if they wanted to, kick it up to 50m forward!

Caleb Daniel was interviewed at half time and said they spoke about how this game was as important as R1, so you'd think they were having a crack. Especially after losing to GC last week and not wanting to go into the season winless, after finishing bottom 6 last year.

They were also closer to full strength than us, and of course got 40 free kicks- which, when you think about it, is a ridiculous number. 40 times they got to go back, and if they wanted to, kick it up to 50m forward!

Our midfield will continue to be our Achilles heal all year because we did nothing substantial in the offseason (aside from signing a broken hanners) to address what has been a major problem area for years.

Adding billings, gresh and (fit and firing newnes) etc, and improvement from steele etc, is just incremental improvement making our major weakness a minor weakness.
It's still going to be a genuine weakness all year.

Having said all that- I'm super impressed that we were able to beat the dogs who's strength is their midfield.
Teams that are stacked in the middle will be our kryptonite this year- it's encouraging to see we can at least compete.

We'd be up to our necks in deep september action if we had a macrae or bont in the mix.

I know that we shouldn’t be offended by commentators and expert shows and footy talk shows ... but I feel it’s the same there too. I’d like to not care, but then we’re stuck with listening to it! Both games I have felt a completely one sided commentary on the opposition and very much so on the positivity side (even though we had won both). Guess we need to earn respect, but doesn’t really feel like our last two opponents have exactly earned that. Anyway. Carry one. Squibbing over.
I couldn't believe it Dunstall was even more miserable than Mooney. Didn't think it was possible.

That was really good game for us , the pressure came hard from a quality Bulldogs midfield and we held our own.
StKilda 2018 would've rolled over and lost by 30-40 pts.
Defensively we are tight.
I can't recall any goals from a stoppage inside Bulldogs Fwd50.
Joyce was fantastic, Brave, settled.
Hopefully Battle goes forward , his field kicking is a weapon.
Marshall plays the traditional Ruck Rover role well .
Parker plays regardless of going missing in patches, his X- factor will win us big games.
Ben Long will be a Star sooner than later.
Very happy Saints fan , I love watching our side playing like campaigners and earning respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ahhhh, this is the worst part of the season, all the build up and then two weeks of nada...

I'm feeling much better about this year compared to last. I think we look better with the three talls this time round.. If paddy doesn't get up maybe battle will be swung forward?

Hopefully marshall gets ruck duties, steven gets up, and longy or gresh get their hands on it if it;'s close

Seriously, people don't want Dunstan in the team but he is our equal highest clearance player. He's the guy at the bottom of the pack. Who the frock do you put in to get the ball? We'll get creamed in the middle if you go without him at present.

Not to mention all his defensive work. 10 tackles & plenty of blocks for team mates. He’s selfless & for a team lacking leadership it would be silly to leave him out.

Last edited:
So gla
Not sure this possession game holds up against good sides but at least it’s a plan. 4 or 5 coming out of this side come round one. At the moment Parker might struggle. Maybe Sinclair. A back. Not sure who and dunstan. Marshall or pierce. And then there is Steven who will most likely train this week.
Glad to hear Stuv will be back!!

We've played two sides that have had the wood on us recently and won. And despite them being pre-season/practice games with managed minutes, the opposition cracked in and were trying to win. The game today got pretty willing at various points. So clearly there was a desire to win from both sides. And with a crippling free kick count against. I did see many of those frees I must admit, but saw a few 'not paid' to us as well. I'm massively encouraged though. Some real spirit emerging. Dampeners with Robbo and Paddy. Hopefully that all works out.

I said last week that despite the enthusiasm everyone has for our new guys they only came into the game again with flashes. Can't see many starting in early rounds. Experience will count. Despite the criticism Dunstan is a definite. Not sure what Ross is doing. Agree with an earlier poster that thought he was cruising. Good player though. Hopefully a bit more impactful when we get into the real stuff.

Marshall looked good. Seems stronger and fitter. He's got some good skills so he could be very handy for us. Lonie and Gresh a bit out of sorts compared to game 1, whereas Long was terrific I thought. And Newnes back to his form of 2-3 years ago. Must have been injured last year because it was a very uncharacteristic season for him.

Interesting selections for R1. Some will be rightly disappointed, which is a good position for us to be in.
I agree on the new players and have posted similar.

However they were recruited for a reason.

The conundrum is they are established at vfl level so they need a run of games to develop further.

My view is they will be given a block of games to start with.

I think you can probably introduce two players maxinun to keep a balance between experience and fresh talent.

ahhhh, this is the worst part of the season, all the build up and then two weeks of nada...

I'm feeling much better about this year compared to last. I think we look better with the three talls this time round.. If paddy doesn't get up maybe battle will be swung forward?

Hopefully marshall gets ruck duties, steven gets up, and longy or gresh get their hands on it if it;'s close

The effort appears to be there this year. A few game plan tweaks and some fresh faces.

My concern is that we are still a bit inexperienced.

Bruce is our only forward with a decent number of games, then Membrey.

Our back six has some decent experience.

Really need that 50-100 game players to take it up a notch.

The effort appears to be there this year. A few game plan tweaks and some fresh faces.

My concern is that we are still a bit inexperienced.

Bruce is our only forward with a decent number of games, then Membrey.

Our back six has some decent experience.

Really need that 50-100 game players to take it up a notch.

I agree with the inexperience .
I can see Armitage playing especially against sides like Bulldogs, Richmond, Adelaide, Port , Sydney ect....sides who breath contested possession.
I dunno if Armo and Dunstan play together.

Preseason form much better than last year obviously. Still a couple of concerns for me though.

- All preseason we heard Hunter is going to play through the middle of the ground, happened for a bit last week but what happens this week.....lines up at HF for pretty much the whole game.

- Geary 24 touches, Webster 13. Something off there particularly when even Geary questions why he’s playing that role.

Overall though forward line looks much better. Kent will be a super pick up obviously if he stays injury free. I doubt the mature age guys were brought in to be superstars, we got them to fill a pretty important hole in the list. Somewhere near a goal a game with manic pressure and they’re doing their job. Still too much bombing in there though. Just because we’ve got talls doesn’t mean you have to try and kick it into the clouds.

Poor form by me to not have Newnes in the best 22 anymore. Absolute lock. Looks a completely different player from last year.

Good point

Old mate bevo did not look happy. It'd be interesting to see the rotations and interchange to see if they were throwing everything at it to get a win and some momentum.

Very glad that we've come out and showed intent and resolve in both of our pre season games this year. Much better than the insipid performances that foreshadowed the disaster that was our 2018 season.

Marshall was a big positive, IMO. He's a guy who has mainly played key position at either end of the ground but in one pre season has clearly improved his ruck craft to the point that he'd comfortably be my first preference over Pierce and Longer. Great to see Bruce back clunking big marks and leading like a mad man all over the ground as well.

It was a real shame to see Paddy knocked out in yet another innocuous incident; we honestly cannot plan for him to be a part of our team going forward because at some stage the doctors are going to have to tell him to stop for his own health. Someone in their early twenties should not have 8 concussions to their name. He attacks contests in a way that will always put his head in dangerous positions and he's been knocked out 2 or 3 times by impact that would not even daze any other player in the competition. Battle did look a bit better this week but I'd rather that we send him forward in Paddy's spot and bring Austin in to play CHB.

Kent looked very lively and has put himself at the top of the pecking order of our new batch of small forwards. Lonie went back to his old ways of staging, missing shots and failing to stick tackles after a promising performance last week.

I am very impressed by what Hind does when he gets the footy. His instinct is always to move forward and inside at pace, and his disposal has been excellent. If he can just lift his production I think he can be that linebreaking JJ/Harbrow type that we need.

I'm not convinced by this Gresham to the midfield experiment - he's tracking to be an elite small forward and I'm happy for him to stay there, perhaps with the occasional burst in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back