Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Who Wins?

• Bulldogs

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Saints

Votes: 46 85.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm convinced that anyone who thought Paddy looked good only watched the first quarter and closed their eyes the two times a dwarf spoiled an easy mark.
This. Should have cleaned him up the first time but too nice for his own good. Those two plays were embarrassing.

Robbo looks like a massive wait-and-see.

They can say "he's fine" and all that, but I googled the articles on him after his collapse last year and they were saying he'd miss 1-2 weeks, and Robbo himself was quoted as saying he hoped to only miss one week. Nek minnit he misses the rest of the season and then in his 2nd game back feels "wonky" and spends the night in hospital undergoing tests.

Anything could happen here. Hope he's OK for his own sake.

Paddy too.

This. Should have cleaned him up the first time but too nice for his own good. Those two plays were embarrassing.
He actually looked off for the time he played yesterday. The 2 frees were because he wasn’t strong enough and then he completely missed the ball when he went for another mark.

He actually looked off for the time he played yesterday. The 2 frees were because he wasn’t strong enough and then he completely missed the ball when he went for another mark.
Hard not to laugh at the missed mark when the ball went straight through is hands virtually uncontested.

I'm like 6 pages behind so apologies if this has already been answered but he had the tracksuit on at the final siren so I think we took him off at some stage

He looked great in the first half. He looks very slight though and perhaps isn't fit enough to run a full game out yet, especially with his speed being the key to his game. Maybe they are building him to full fitness, 6 months ago he was playing VFL and working.

If the defender has his back to the incoming ball and he spoils the ball out of the marking players hands the umps always pay it. They bought that rule in a few years ago and it's pretty consistently umpired. Both of Paddy's frees were for that.

If the defender has his back to the incoming ball and he spoils the ball out of the marking players hands the umps always pay it. They bought that rule in a few years ago and it's pretty consistently umpired. Both of Paddy's frees were for that.
There is no such rule as that. The first one was not a free. He hit the ball. It shouldn’t have got to that as paddy should have been stronger. The second one was a free but again paddy should have been stronger.

In some better news, Richo said in his presser that we feel like Hanners has turned the corner with regards to his ability to step up his intensity at training, and that his last two sessions have been really strong, so it sounds like he might have finally been able to step it up to over 80% intensity without awareness/soreness.

Now just needs to be able to do that for a sustained period to be given the all-clear to play by the sounds of it, and to hopefully be pretty much fully fit.

Would be a huge plus if that were to happen.

If mccartin gets concussed from an innocuous contest like that then that is the end for him . My tip is 3 more during the season then forced retirement

Don’t know if he can afford even three more, but I would seriously consider putting him back as an intercept marker ( as Joey suggested)where he’s not likely to be so involved in pack marking, and bring Josh Battle forward again.

Don’t know if he can afford even three more, but I would seriously consider putting him back as an intercept marker ( as Joey suggested)where he’s not likely to be so involved in pack marking, and bring Josh Battle forward again.
Should have done it in pre season. Seems obvious to me. Think it’s to late now for this season.

There is no such rule as that. The first one was not a free. He hit the ball. It shouldn’t have got to that as paddy should have been stronger. The second one was a free but again paddy should have been stronger.

They pay it nearly every time so it's either a rule or they do it for fun. It's part of frontal contact I think.You only have to have your back to the play and make any front on contact including the arms and they pay it.

Well, I dunno, he could have said that the Bulldogs would finish above the Saints. He was commentating. He's not showing any bias towards the Saints. He certainly hasn't before.:rolleyes:
He gave somewhat reasonable, unbiased reasons for it. Last year was an abberation; the Dogs have a better midfield than us but ours is improving; we have strong talls forward and back than them.

He was saying we'd go better than the dogs, not that we'd win the flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They pay it nearly every time so it's either a rule or they do it for fun. It's part of frontal contact I think.You only have to have your back to the play and make any front on contact including the arms and they pay it.
They should never pay it if you only hit the ball and most times they don’t pay it. If they do it’s a mistake but if you can tell me the rule I will look it up. You would think I should know that rule after umpiring 33 years. Yes if you get the arms it’s a free but if you get the ball it isn’t. The little guy got the ball.

They should never pay it if you only hit the ball and most times they don’t pay it. If they do it’s a mistake but if you can tell me the rule I will look it up. You would think I should know that rule after umpiring 33 years. Yes if you get the arms it’s a free but if you get the ball it isn’t. The little guy got the ball.

I thought he got arm as well as ball, I guess it's what the umps think they saw then. Pretty sure frontal contact is what they pay in that situation. It's often paid against our backs.

I thought he got arm as well as ball, I guess it's what the umps think they saw then. Pretty sure frontal contact is what they pay in that situation. It's often paid against our backs.
As you said if you touch the player its a free but it looked all ball to me thus no free whether coming front on or not. Either way it shouldn’t have got to that. He should have put his knee up to protect the area

He got all ball initially, but the arm/hand then got Paddy on the body on his follow-through, so that's what the free would have been for.

As you said, all they have to do is touch the body/arms when going back like that and if they see it they pay it every time.

As you said if you touch the player its a free but it looked all ball to me thus no free whether coming front on or not. Either way it shouldn’t have got to that. He should have put his knee up to protect the area
Wouldn't have helped. Daniel was already caught up in the tractor-beam attached to Paddy's noggin.

For what it's worth, I thought on the replay trivial contact was made by Daniel with his back to the play so I thought it was a trivial free kick. Not sure if the umpire saw the contact or assumed it had happened. Watching it live on TV, I assumed contact had happened. Not going to complain after the lop-sided count yesterday. Anyway I'd hope, if it wasn't a practice match, Paddy would have his knee up in that situation.

It doesn't matter if contact is trivial or not if you're going back with the flight and not looking at the ball. If you make any body contact at all and they see it, they pay it.

Paddy probably figured he'd either mark it or get a free, but he really needed to crunch Daniel with his knee in that instance.

As for the lop-sided count, frees inside F50 were a whopping 9 to them and 2 for us!

In further evidence that the Dogs were playing to win, their pressure index (or whatever it's called) went up to 208 in the last quarter (from 168 in the 3rd).

League average is about 185 and anything above 200 is considered "elite", so they applied elite pressure to us in the last.

Unfortunately for them, ours went up to an "elite+++" 230 for the quarter!

Our overall number for the match was 203 (to their 185), which is clear evidence that our pressure switch has been flicked again.

Pleasing.

It doesn't matter if contact is trivial or not if you're going back with the flight and not looking at the ball. If you make any body contact at all and they see it, they pay it.

Paddy probably figured he'd either mark it or get a free, but he really needed to crunch Daniel with his knee in that instance.

As for the lop-sided count, frees inside F50 were a whopping 9 to them and 2 for us!
That’s true but the umpire obviously guessed because the contact was that minimal he couldn’t have seen it. Even roo and dunstall said it wasn’t a free. You do love a stat.

In further evidence that the Dogs were playing to win, their pressure index (or whatever it's called) went up to 208 in the last quarter (from 168 in the 3rd).

League average is about 185 and anything above 200 is considered "elite", so they applied elite pressure to us in the last.

Unfortunately for them, ours went up to an elite++ 230 for the quarter!

Our overall number for the match was 203 (to their 185), which is clear evidence that our pressure switch has been flicked again.
So both sides wanted to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: Western Bulldogs v St.Kilda

Back