News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Think that judgement has given enough of an out for the club to express disappointment and anger in his actions whilst committing to assist his rehabilitation by retaining him

Should ban him from playing this year though as a consequence but demand he rejoin the club in Perth

Another off season before he gets game time would be a big blow for him. One of his own doing, mind you, but I fear what could unfold if he doesn't get back the weekly structure of some training, games and recovery.

Could we strike a deal with the AFL to ban him from any Eagles games for 2021 (R23 and finals series) but seek approval for him to return through the WAFL earlier than August 20 instead?

I can't believe the power and reach of the West Coast Eagles extends beyond The Worst, Channel 7, the Freo recruitment team and their supporter's headspace, all the way to the NT legal system.

Up the coasters and all that.
You forgot Freo's medical team also.

With the injuries to both sides I wouldn't be surprised if we were sharing due to Covid cuts.

Excellent result. Now bring him back to Perth, get him around the club and a professional environment, make sure he knows how he is lucky but that he's on thin ice.

Support him and his family as much a possible, implore him to be better and sit back and watch him do what he does best.

All the best Willie.

Excellent result. Now bring him back to Perth, get him around the club and a professional environment, make sure he knows how he is lucky but that he's on thin ice.

Support him and his family as much a possible, implore him to be better and sit back and watch him do what he does best.

All the best Willie.

Still can't be around the club until the 20th of June though.

None of this means anything unless Willie agrees to weekly drug testing

He said he was going to prove everyone wrong last time and look how that turned out............

I don't like the idea of either a club or league imposed ban just yet. He's been dealt with through the justice system, he's been away from both our club and the AFL for nearly two years now and frankly, any sort of ban would be more severe than the AFL's own official three strikes policy.

He should realise that his career is hanging by a thread at this point. There is also a reasonable expectation that things will improve once he is back in the structure of the club. Try to get through these last couple of months without any more incidents, get him back to the club, assess his motivation and if it's there, dangle the carrot for him to play this year if he can work his way into the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good legal result. Now the club should make him say sorry, suspend him for one game and force him off to rehab and hope he can have a first game back like Cousins did (but in a final).

With a happier ending than Cousins first final I hope.

Actually, let’s avoid any comparisons at all to Ben Cousins ‘come back’ - Christ.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Stengle and Crouch copped 4 and 2 weeks respectively less than 12 months ago.

I think Stengle and Crouch can be distinguished on the basis that notwithstanding Rioli remains contracted to the club, the nature of his suspension means he was "away from the club". He has also been the victim of an overly-drawn out investigation leading into his 2 year ban. The AFL has a discretion here not to take any action additional to that imposed today by the NT Local Court, and my gut feeling is, they won't. Notwithstanding Willie's (as the thread title says) moronic decision, any additional sanction on top of the existing ASADA sanction and the good behaviour bond could well be seen as "crushing". And the player's own mental health needs always to be borne in mind.

The AFL will ban him anyway - probably for the start of next year too.

Will get 4 weeks - able to return Round 4 2022....wherever that may be.
Why? I dont see it at all.
He is not in competition, hasnt tested positive for anything, and not playing for an AFL team.
Unless they want to go down the bringing the game into disrepute path, which I imagine would be hard to stick given the above, I dont think they AFL will do anything but let WCE deal with it as they see fit.
The sooner this all goes away the better as far as the AFL are concerned.

Why? I dont see it at all.
He is not in competition, hasnt tested positive for anything, and not playing for an AFL team.
Unless they want to go down the bringing the game into disrepute path, which I imagine would be hard to stick given the above, I dont think they AFL will do anything but let WCE deal with it as they see fit.
The sooner this all goes away the better as far as the AFL are concerned.

So what do we do? A fine, with funds to be sent to a drug rehabilitation program?

Plus drug education (that is obvious)

Plus 'voluntarily' submitting to regular testing

Plus an apology/explanation to team-mates

That sort of seems the minimum...

So what do we do? A fine, with funds to be sent to a drug rehabilitation program?

Plus drug education (that is obvious)

Plus 'voluntarily' submitting to regular testing

Plus an apology/explanation to team-mates

That sort of seems the minimum...

I'm fairly sure under the AFLPA collective bargaining agreement the club itself can't do anything in terms of fines, requirement to attend drug education, submission to drug tests etc. Of course, they can continue not to select him once he becomes eligible to play, and can sack him.

I understand an apology/explanation to teammates may already have occurred (for what it's worth).

Remove this Banner Ad

News Jnr Rioli - He’s back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back