Opinion Joe Daniher - Will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

Joe Daniher - will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

• Bomber

Votes: 15 6.9%
  • Lion

Votes: 201 93.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn’t agree more. Joe is a really genuine fella with a heart of gold who the football media have treated very poorly over his career. Very happy for him to get a flag!

Just for a bit of balance, let’s be clear - Joe doesn’t like footy and only cares about one thing - Joe.

That extends to signing contracts. He tried to weasel out of his Essendon contract and now he’s walking out of his Brisbane contract.

Nobody ever forced him to play footy - his father and he himself confirmed that - he did it, and signed on to do it, because he wanted the huge dollars.

Make no mistake - Fagan and the rest of the Brisbane hierarchy will be absolutely bleeding about this. He’s one of their most important players and he walks out mid contract with them receiving nothing. Let’s see how happy they are in 12 months if they lose a prelim or grand final by 5 points.

Everybody at Brisbane is super driven, like all professionals, and they want to win a flag in 2025. That doesn’t change because they won it in 2024. He’s leaving them in the lurch.

Absolutely no issue with him simply finishing his contract and keeping his word to them - but that would require him to care about something / somebody other than himself.

He’s an adult and can keep his word and be responsible for his actions.

I won’t be the least bit surprised if / when he decides to return in 2026 because he realises the paycheques aren’t landing any more.

Just for a bit of balance, let’s be clear - Joe doesn’t like footy and only cares about one thing - Joe.

That extends to signing contracts. He tried to weasel out of his Essendon contract and now he’s walking out of his Brisbane contract.

Nobody ever forced him to play footy - his father and he himself confirmed that - he did it, and signed on to do it, because he wanted the huge dollars.

Make no mistake - Fagan and the rest of the Brisbane hierarchy will be absolutely bleeding about this. He’s one of their most important players and he walks out mid contract with them receiving nothing. Let’s see how happy they are in 12 months if they lose a prelim or grand final by 5 points.

Everybody at Brisbane is super driven, like all professionals, and they want to win a flag in 2025. That doesn’t change because they won it in 2024. He’s leaving them in the lurch.

Absolutely no issue with him simply finishing his contract and keeping his word to them - but that would require him to care about something / somebody other than himself.

I won’t be the least bit surprised if / when he decides to return in 2026 because he realises the paycheques aren’t landing any
reckon that's well harsh honestly.

Not everyone loves footy. He's clearly his own man, marches to the beat of his own drum, etc. If he feels he has better things to do in life than play footy (particularly if it's to meet other people's expectations) then good on him. He seems like a well-rounded individual to me and this demonstrates that. I respect the decision. I respect him for having agency and making the decision that's right for him.

Saying he only cares about himself is a pretty weird take. If he only cared about himself he could play next year, phone it in, and take the cash. It's actually the opposite of only caring about himself, surely.

A contract is a two party agreement and if he's happy to walk away from the money he has every right to do so, surely. Terminating a contract isn't "breaking your word", christ, how many players get tapped on the shoulder when it suits the club?

I doubt Brisbane are feeling betrayed or upset, and would wish him well. They 100% wouldn't have even made the GF without him so it's hard to argue he hasn't given them enough.

As you say, no-one forced him to play footy and now he's decided he doesn't want to. Simple as that. And he's gone out on top, on his own terms. Not many can say that

Last edited:

I won’t be the least bit surprised if / when he decides to return in 2026 because he realises the paycheques aren’t landing any more.
Wouldn't be the first time a player has retired before the end of their contract. Maybe you are a little salty he left the bombers and won a premiership? When your body tells you its time, you listen to your body and not your contract or maybe he has just lost the drive to put the hard work in. Either way, he has the right to choose, just like any other player.

reckon that's well harsh honestly.

Not everyone loves footy. He's clearly his own man, marches to the beat of his own drum, etc. If he feels he has better things to do in life than play footy (particularly if it's to meet other people's expectations) then good on him. I respect it. Saying he only cares about himself is a pretty weird take. If he only cared about himself he could play next year, phone it in, and take the cash. It's actually the opposite of only caring about himself, surely.

A contract is a two party agreement and if he's happy to walk away from the money he has every right to do so, surely. Terminating a contract isn't "breaking your word", christ, how many players get tapped on the shoulder when it suits the club?

I doubt Brisbane are feeling betrayed or upset, and would wish him well. They 100% wouldn't have even made the GF without him so it's hard to argue he hasn't given them enough.

As you say, no-one forced him to play footy and now he's decided he doesn't want to. Simple as that

Phoning it in would indeed be selfish, but there’s more than one way to be selfish.

Winning is a huge team effort - you commit to a team to see it through. Don’t like footy? Fine. Don’t sign the contract.

List management is a tough caper in the tight confines of the AFL. Brisbane have brilliantly managed and walked the tightrope.

They have a massive chance to win a flag next year - they are very bloody hard to win - and a central piece of their team has just walked out despite signing a contract to play. There are a lot of people at Brisbane earning a hell of a lot less than Joe who are working their arses off to make it happen.

It’s a pattern too with Joe - he signs a contract then just renegs on it for no other reason than he isn’t feeling it and doesn’t give a shit about what the team needs from him. He only cares about himself.

Just see out your contract, Joey. You signed it.

Fancy wasting precious moments of your life writing this absolute drivel

Phoning it in would indeed be selfish, but there’s more than one way to be selfish.

Winning is a huge team effort - you commit to a team to see it through. Don’t like footy? Fine. Don’t sign the contract.

List management is a tough caper in the tight confines of the AFL. Brisbane have brilliantly managed and walked the tightrope.

They have a massive chance to win a flag next year - they are very bloody hard to win - and a central piece of their team has just walked out despite signing a contract to play. There are a lot of people at Brisbane earning a hell of a lot less than Joe who are working their arses off to make it happen.

It’s a pattern too with Joe - he signs a contract then just renegs on it for no other reason than he isn’t feeling it and doesn’t give a shit about what the team needs from him. He only cares about himself.

Just see out your contract, Joey. You signed it.
Don't sign the contract?? So you're not allowed to change your mind? Come on man...

Contracts are, by their very nature, mutual and voluntary agreements. It's crazy to suggest otherwise. You say that list management is a tough caper... well should clubs never, ever sack players? Is that what you're saying? Because that would make list management really bloody tough. Don't sign the contract, club, if you're not 100% certain you will allow the player to finish it!!

Or is the letter of the contract only binding for players?

It all makes no sense. On the one hand you castigate him for "reneging" on a contract for "not feeling it" or "giving a shit", whilst simultaneously arguing he should see out the contract. Despite not feeling it. Which, by definition, means he isn't going to give 100% and which, be definition, would be far more detrimental to the club than what he's done.

And while we're at it, you have no idea what's going on in his life. Maybe he is quitting because he's made bank and won a flag and genuinely couldn't give a shit about his teammates. Seems pretty unlikely to me, but maybe. But how do you know it's not a million other things? Maybe he's passionate about travelling the world while he's young. Maybe he genuinely doesn't want to get CTE. Maybe he has a life partner who ****ing hates footy. Maybe a million other things are going on in his life you or I don't know, and have no business knowing

Wouldn't be the first time a player has retired before the end of their contract. Maybe you are a little salty he left the bombers and won a premiership? When your body tells you its time, you listen to your body and not your contract or maybe he has just lost the drive to put the hard work in. Either way, he has the right to choose, just like any other player.

Nah, more than a few players have left Essendon and won flags. That’s footy, doesn’t bother me. It might if they beat us in a GF, but that’s not happening!

Don't sign the contract?? So you're not allowed to change your mind? Come on man...

Contracts are, by their very nature, mutual and voluntary agreements. It's crazy to suggest otherwise. You say that list management is a tough caper... well should clubs never, ever sack players? Is that what you're saying? Because that would make list management really bloody tough. Don't sign the contract, club, if you're not 100% certain you will allow the player to finish it!!

Or is the letter of the contract only binding for players?

It all makes no sense. On the one hand you castigate him for "reneging" on a contract for "not feeling it" or "giving a shit", whilst simultaneously arguing he should see out the contract. Despite not feeling it. Which, by definition, means he isn't going to give 100% and which, be definition, would be far more detrimental to the club than what he's done.

And while we're at it, you have no idea what's going on in his life. Maybe he is quitting because he's made bank and won a flag and genuinely couldn't give a shit about his teammates. Seems pretty unlikely to me, but maybe. But how do you know it's not a million other things? Maybe he's passionate about travelling the world while he's young. Maybe he genuinely doesn't want to get CTE. Maybe he has a life partner who ****ing hates footy. Maybe a million other things are going on in his life you or I don't know, and have no business knowing

He wants to travel the world young. His missus doesn’t like footy 🤣

It’s a two-way street. Somebody in Joey’s position is a very, very valuable resource and a lot of people rely on him. It’s not an individual sport.

Just see out your contract. It’s not all about you.

Agree to disagree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He wants to travel the world young. His missus doesn’t like footy 🤣

It’s a two-way street. Somebody in Joey’s position is a very, very valuable resource and a lot of people rely on him. It’s not an individual sport.

Just see out your contract. It’s not all about you.

Agree to disagree.
yep, see out your contract even though you no longer want to play. Makes perfect sense.

As for the rationale, I don't know why but that's kind of the point. Maybe he just doesn't enjoy the incredibly regimented existence, who knows? But all of these potential options seem more likely than him just being selfish because, well, for some reason

Those 2 goals in the semi just showed how ice this bloke was. Without that the lions don't win the flag. Was great watching him, I just wish he kicked 5+ in the granny.
Go well Joe
I also don't think Lions win the Prelim without him in the ruck. That completely changed the game

Really didn't fulfill his potential.
Literally had it all ... more tricks than Buddy Franklin but just failed to put it all together. Injury certainly played a part.

Had a very good career nethertheless.

Really didn't fulfill his potential.
Literally had it all ... more tricks than Buddy Franklin but just failed to put it all together. Injury certainly played a part.

Had a very good career nethertheless.
More tricks then Buddy? surely you are trolling, Daniher had a good career but many Key forward were better than him.

More tricks then Buddy? surely you are trolling, Daniher had a good career but many Key forward were better than him.

Just as athletic as Buddy. Superior mark and just as long kick.
He had it all did Daniher.

I never said he had a better career.
For a player of his ability, to only average under 2 goals per game is why it was unfulfilled.

yep, see out your contract even though you no longer want to play. Makes perfect sense.

As for the rationale, I don't know why but that's kind of the point. Maybe he just doesn't enjoy the incredibly regimented existence, who knows? But all of these potential options seem more likely than him just being selfish because, well, for some reason

Those who immediately assume he is selfish are projecting - they simply do not have the imagination to consider the billion alternatives.

Joe carried the weight of the world for us this September - 100% TOG, 4 weeks running - while also being called upon to carry the load in the ruck following Oscar’s injury.

The people who rush to call him selfish, and up himself, and arrogant, fail to then ask themselves why he avoids media at all costs, doesn’t watch TV, and lives in relative isolation.

The bloke just wants to be left alone - I hope this legend can enjoy a hard-earned retirement!

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Joe Daniher - Will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

Back