Opinion Joe Daniher - Will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

Joe Daniher - will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

• Bomber

Votes: 16 7.3%
  • Lion

Votes: 204 92.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Those 2 goals in the semi just showed how ice this bloke was. Without that the lions don't win the flag. Was great watching him, I just wish he kicked 5+ in the granny.
Go well Joe
I would've argued that next year our team gets better with Coleman, L Ashcroft and McCarthy to come back into the side. With Joe's retirement, I think we are worse team next season despite those players coming in/back.

I loved the finals series Daniher put together and would have liked to see him go round again and be part of the Lions' premiership defence. In saying that, if it's time, it's time. He bows out a premiership player after a pretty solid run of form in the games that mattered most.

Just for a bit of balance, let’s be clear - Joe doesn’t like footy and only cares about one thing - Joe.
no one forces themselves to stay in a job they don't like for over 10 years.
Everybody at Brisbane is super driven, like all professionals, and they want to win a flag in 2025. That doesn’t change because they won it in 2024. He’s leaving them in the lurch.
Maybe he's doing them a favour by freeing up a shit load of cap space. Which they can now use to go after another forward. They might get several suitors who'd be interested to play with the premiers and will have an even stronger list next year.

no one forces themselves to stay in a job they don't like for over 10 years.

Maybe he's doing them a favour by freeing up a shit load of cap space. Which they can now use to go after another forward. They might get several suitors who'd be interested to play with the premiers and will have an even stronger list next year.
And which star key forward will suddenly up and request a trade to Brisbane over this off season? Who's likely? My guess would be no one.

Depends on alot like where they grow up but i am pretty sure Joe D lives in the Byron area (Ocean Shores), which i am also pretty sure is zoned to Gold Coast? the Northern Rivers zone goes to Gold Coast?. Fact check me please.

Sydney's northern zoning stops at Newcastle/New England area from memory.

Thought he had a house in Daylesford?

Can not for the life of me wrap my head around people having a go at him for retiring now.

Footy is not the be all and end all, he’s got a family and he probably has himself set up with outside interests out of footy and good on him.

It’s easy to sit on here and say how easy they have it when reality they don’t, you’ve got no idea the toll of not only the game but the training has had on his body, mentally to.

I would assume having young children whilst trying to play professional sport would be extremely challenging, like I know in my own life having two very young kids it’s hard enough with the work life balance but also getting your own time and time with wife that isn’t filled with watching kids shows or doing kid activities.

There’s the training, games, travel, recovery and throw trying to be there for your kids and partner whilst sticking to so many regimented routines would be bloody hard work mentally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And which star key forward will suddenly up and request a trade to Brisbane over this off season? Who's likely? My guess would be no one.
you've gone very early. the trade period doesn't start till next week, and then it goes for 10 days. Plenty of time.

As for who's likely, who knows at this point.

Just for a bit of balance, let’s be clear - Joe doesn’t like footy and only cares about one thing - Joe.

That extends to signing contracts. He tried to weasel out of his Essendon contract and now he’s walking out of his Brisbane contract.

Nobody ever forced him to play footy - his father and he himself confirmed that - he did it, and signed on to do it, because he wanted the huge dollars.

Make no mistake - Fagan and the rest of the Brisbane hierarchy will be absolutely bleeding about this. He’s one of their most important players and he walks out mid contract with them receiving nothing. Let’s see how happy they are in 12 months if they lose a prelim or grand final by 5 points.

Everybody at Brisbane is super driven, like all professionals, and they want to win a flag in 2025. That doesn’t change because they won it in 2024. He’s leaving them in the lurch.

Absolutely no issue with him simply finishing his contract and keeping his word to them - but that would require him to care about something / somebody other than himself.

He’s an adult and can keep his word and be responsible for his actions.

I won’t be the least bit surprised if / when he decides to return in 2026 because he realises the paycheques aren’t landing any more.
if this is the attitude essendon have towards their players no wonder they are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity.

a mature club sees their roster as people first, footballers second.

jeepers.

if this is the attitude essendon have towards their players no wonder they are stuck in a cycle of mediocrity.

a mature club sees their roster as people first, footballers second.

jeepers.
They prefer to trade in and retain model citizens like Jakey.

While stronger clubs cut loose players with highly questionable ethics.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Joe Daniher - Will he be remembered more as a Bomber or a Lion?

Back