Joel Selwood ducking his head

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does this shit annoy anyone else? He sees a guy coming to tackle him and he just drops his knees and ducks the head. I'm sick of hearing the likes of Bruce McAvaney and Dennis Cometti telling us he goes in with his head and gets rewarded for being brave. Firstly it's dangerous for Selwood because one day their could be a nasty collision resulting in a bad head/neck injury and secondly you pretty much can't tackle him without giving away a free. I'm not saying he's a bad player or anything though he's one of the competitions elite but the head ducking has got to stop many others are starting to do the same thing. Thoughts?
I get more annoyed at players getting an in the back free when they throw themselves forward when tackled, ala the one that resulted in a goal to Roughead toda.

He lets himself down by throwing the head back and grabbing his noggin like he's been shot by Lee Harvey Oswald
That's not brave, that's just playing the umpires for fools, and its not playing football, it's playing for free kicks.
Don't see Judd, Ablett, Hodge, Watson doing it and sadly it will taint every non-Geelong supporters memories of his playing days when he retires.

you've never seen gary ablett play for a free? really?

As a hawthorn supporter it does piss me off, but here's an idea.. tackle Selwood and really every tackler should be going for the hips not the head or shoulders.

Selwood has been the main perpetrator of it and has done it for years, it is now spreading like wild fire across all teams this season.

Collingwood sent the AFL a video of him doing it the other year and ducking plus lifting his arms so tackles would slip high, to make the umps aware he was doing it but alas the umpires are still blind to it.

What's so amusing about this is, you say everyone is aware of Selwood bending the rules? Solution - TACKLE HIM AT THE HIPS! or make the adjustments necessary?? No?

While he's still winning his own ball and gaining free kicks with ball in hand and not sorting to the complete gutless rubbish as below, I'll be happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dLwuB1_Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJPeGuQCaI

Selwood has been the main perpetrator of it and has done it for years, it is now spreading like wild fire across all teams this season.

Collingwood sent the AFL a video of him doing it the other year and ducking plus lifting his arms so tackles would slip high, to make the umps aware he was doing it but alas the umpires are still blind to it.

Why WOULDNT he lift his arms? It's a method of EVADING a tackle! A method that consistently works for him. If the tackle was layed effectively, then it wouldn't matter, he'd be wrapped up and its a ball-up. You MORONS act like he should just freeze and accept the tackle!

If you people actually care to watch games, half the time he's caught above the shoulder by a flailing arm, stuck out by a desperate opposition player who's 2 steps slower than Joel. Hardly his fault!

What's so amusing about this is, you say everyone is aware of Selwood bending the rules? Solution - TACKLE HIM AT THE HIPS! or make the adjustments necessary?? No?

While he's still winning his own ball and gaining free kicks with ball in hand and not sorting to the complete gutless rubbish as below, I'll be happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dLwuB1_Us

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yJPeGuQCaI

It's hard to get his hips when he lunges head first bent over into the oncoming player, he is also very efficient at bending the legs to get under a tackle and roll his shoulder/raise his arms once wrapped up.

Also on Didak I agree he can be quite soft and I hate it when he squibs the contest, but this is about J.Selwood and other players milking free kicks from effectively head butting another players torso.

Selwood has every right to drive his head into opposition players, because the rules reward it.

Solution: Players deliberately driving themselves headlong into other players earn 49.5 demerit points at the MRP. If I have to wear a seatbelt while driving to protect myself from injury, then this makes perfect sense! :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why WOULDNT he lift his arms? It's a method of EVADING a tackle! A method that consistently works for him. If the tackle was layed effectively, then it wouldn't matter, he'd be wrapped up and its a ball-up. You MORONS act like he should just freeze and accept the tackle!

If you people actually care to watch games, half the time he's caught above the shoulder by a flailing arm, stuck out by a desperate opposition player who's 2 steps slower than Joel. Hardly his fault!

The issue is he draws a free kick instead of a 'play on call' for him DUCKING while also raising his arm, if the tackle is just sloppy fair enough (which he also receives) but he instigates the contact a lot of the time that is what people have issue with.

It's not the raising the arm its the ducking under the tacklers arm to get hit high and get awarded for it.

It's a really effective tactic in today's game too where the ball-winner in that situation is just as likely to get pinged for holding the ball in or a ball-up
To come out with a free-kick instead of a 50:50 stoppage is a major win and worth the head trauma risk I guess.

It's hard to get his hips when he lunges head first bent over into the oncoming player

I still don't agree that he intentionally does this to get a free kick, roles his shoulders.. for sure, I personally can't recall him lunging into players headfirst with the soul intention a winning a free kick(which I'm seeing LOTS of players do in 2011). Be happy to be proven wrong with footage though.

It's not the raising the arm its the ducking under the tacklers arm to get hit high and get awarded for it.

He's doing it to evade the tackle, not draw a free kick. Change the rules go ahead, he usually gets the handball out to a team mate anyway...

While we're talking about exploiting loopholes wanna chat about the last 8 rounds of the 2005 season?

Selwood started the trend and others now follow and until the umps stop paying the free for it then it's game on.

Players and teams will look for and work on beating loopholes in the system - it is the nature of the game. While it may not be in the spirit of the game (I am not referring to just selwood here more the loopholes) if it wins you games then so be it.

Truly terrible display of it today. He's not technically breaking a rule, but certainly taking advantage of one in a manner which is against the fairness and sportsmanship associated with our great sport. The umpires association needs to address it. Really bad look for the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back