Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

If he leaves, what should Sydney get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st round pick

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other second round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have never argued that Dawson's value as a trade asset is pick 4. I've explicitly said it's less than that, and a straight swap for pick 4 has never been on the table.

Obviously Dawson will attract less than pick 4, but giving up 4 for Dawson and a big sweetener? That's not unreasonable.
It is unreasonable when compared to our best alternative which is to get him for nothing. The price we pay as a trade will mainly reflect (i) the insurance premium we're willing to stump up to avoid the risk (for us) in the PSD...which is fairly low and (ii) whatever value we place on getting a deal done now (i.e. before PSD) and preserving relations with Sydney...which again is not nothing but would be fairly low. At this stage the value of Dawson as a player is a fairly low factor overall in his value as a trade asset.

It is unreasonable when compared to our best alternative which is to get him for nothing.

Sydney dont value Picks outside the Top 10 or an Academy player, which is why they dont care if they miss out on a Melbourne 1st or the Dogs Pick 17.

Every chance he would. To get to free agency. 1) It must be in play.
He gets a chance at success while the Swans are up & about in these next few years & will be 26 at that time & could get a bigger pay day when that time comes, not to mention, the Crows will be more likely to have some success in two years time.
2) It actually makes more sense. If he has a couple of big years for us, his value skyrockets & club caps will be back up. He will command a much bigger salary.
It's not out of the question because we have done it before.

Though the Crows themselves may be willing to stitch the Swans up, I'm sure Dawson doesn't want that for us.
But time will tell.
I can't believe how hyped up Crow supporters get over this.
Whatever will be will be.
The Swans are quite entitled to stretch this out until they get what they want, or closer to what they want. He's been developed well in our system so we may feel it's worth a risk.

1) Considering he sought out a trade now, and not just waited for two years indicates any notion of Dawson remaining a Swan until free agency is not in play. Quite likely he's figured he's not getting a bigger payday than what he has on the table now, which is pretty likely as he is 25 next season and doesn't have FA rights until he's 27.

2) And if he does an ACL round 1? or his form tanks which can occur for a myriad of reasons (family issues, health, just plain rotten luck etc)?

Considering we did offer to move up to 17 for Dawson, we likely didn't come into this with the intention of trying to stitch you up. Now though, it's certainly not out of the question.

AFL
They can if he wants to go into the PSD. That's the rules. He can go to whatever state he is drafted or he can give up playing.

If he wants to make sure he lives in S.A, he'd better get the Crows to give a trade Sydney will accept.

Fremantle has a pick (No. 3) ahead of the Power in the December 16 NAB AFL pre-season draft, for which Carr will nominate, but is unlikely to take a risk on re-drafting the veteran, who has stated his intention to remain in Adelaide.

Every chance he would. To get to free agency. It must be in play.
He gets a chance at success while the Swans are up & about in these next few years & will be 26 at that time & could get a bigger pay day when that time comes, not to mention, the Crows will be more likely to have some success in two years time.
It actually makes more sense. If he has a couple of big years for us, his value skyrockets & club caps will be back up. He will command a much bigger salary.
It's not out of the question because we have done it before.
Though the Crows themselves may be willing to stitch the Swans up, I'm sure Dawson doesn't want that for us.
But time will tell.
I can't believe how hyped up Crow supporters get over this.
Whatever will be will be.
The Swans are quite entitled to stretch this out until they get what they want, or closer to what they want. He's been developed well in our system so we may feel it's worth a risk.
But none of that has changed since a month ago when Dawson made the decision to choose the Crows...not sure why you think he'd change his mind now. All of this posturing and the process (inc. PSD) would have been laid out to him in chapter and verse by his Manager (and the Crows) so surely nothing new has happened such that he'd backtrack now.
With respect I don't think (most) Crows supporters are getting hyped up - we're hearing what (to us) sounds like hyperbole from Harley, Gardiner, et al which is then being repeated by Swans supporters which just doesn't reflect the realities of the industry or this situation. OOC + PSD are the overwhelming factors here that will drive the price.

Drafts picks are overrated but Melbourne just won a premiership from drafting two of the best midfielders in the game (Oliver and Petracca) in the top 3 picks of the draft.

Dawson, despite being a very good player, will never have the impact of Petracca and Oliver, and I think Adelaide would want a shot at picking up a great (not a very good) player. There is a definite possibility of a top pick being a bust, but it can also transform your team into a premiership contendor. I think Adelaide want to run the risk of that.
Melbourne actually won a p'ship because they were rewarded for being good a being shit & a shit club for consecutive years.
Not the first club.

Adelaide is following that script.

I recall David Noble working at the crows..

One phone call, hey nobes don't take Dawson in the PSD.

Then front load the contract because Collingwood and GC have none.. Done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So just give it to us instead and get him in now! ;)

I'm sure we'll be amicable to Dawson -> pick 4 in the PSD.

Just ignore the fine print, and try to not spend it all in one place.

*Though honestly, you might be able to trade PSD picks. I don't think anyone has ever tried though, considering they're worthless. It probably also makes the AFL think that you're about to shiv some team in a darkened alley.

I'm sure we'll be amicable to Dawson -> pick 4 in the PSD.

Just ignore the fine print, and try to not spend it all in one place.

*Though honestly, you might be able to trade PSD picks. I don't think anyone has ever tried though, considering they're worthless.
My dumb ass thought that PSD meant that Dawson just becomes available in the rookie draft which is why I couldn't understand why you'd be so happy to spend the pick there but not in a trade.

FMD that's embarassing.

The AFL cannot force a Player to live in a certain state.

But that’s not what I’m asking.

I am asking, as per how the rules are currently stipulated, If a player can refuse to be drafted by a club when offered a contract.

The rules for a player when nominating for the PSD are that they can nominate their salary and contract length requirements but not the club itself. As long as another club matches their salary expectations, they can draft them.

Just as the national draft. If you enter the draft you do so knowing any club can draft you. And as the rules stand, the PSD is the same. If a player refuses to be drafted by a particular team, they sit out for 12 months.

If anyone can find in the rules where it stipulates that said player can only go to a certain state in the draft, please point it out.

Say for example a club holds pick 1 in the national draft and there is a consensus on who the best young talent is. If that talent refuses to be drafted outside of say WA and Ade had pick 1 and wanted them, that would be considered draft tampering most likely if said player just refused to sign a deal until a team from WA had a pick. In the rules, the PSD is no different from what I can see.

Last edited:
I'm a dead set moron. Pls ignore :'(
Not for that.

No. Its not a problem to not know or understand how the draft and PSD etc all works, the problem I have is not seeing how neutral supporters view the Crows deal as fair and reasonable and yet not even remotely consider it might be?

My dumb ass thought that PSD meant that Dawson just becomes available in the rookie draft which is why I couldn't understand why you'd be so happy to spend the pick there but not in a trade.

FMD that's embarassing.

I'll give you an out, it has happened in the past with Luke Ball opting to go into the national draft when the trade between Saints and Collingwood fell over. Collingwood would get their man with pick 30, however (though it was the first pick they held in the draft).

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Jordan Dawson traded to Adelaide for F1 (Melb)

Back