Confirmed Josh Battle - Joins Hawthorn as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t care about NGA’s. Most likely the clubs wouldn’t have access to them, but this battle pick devalues three of our picks because they’re live.

AFL can **** off
so Ashcroft @ pick 1-3 for Brisbane, who has pick 18 doesn't devalue your picks
Kako @ 15 won't devalue your picks
Lombard @ top 5-10 won't devalue your picks

all who will cost their club less than face value will have zero effect on Freo
but the Saints getting 8 does.

the system is cooked

It's been reported that Battles offer was 6 years at almost 900k, so why are people acting as though this is some leg up from the AFL?

If 6 x 900k doesn't land band one, what should?
Yep, if he’s in the top 5% of wage earners in the AFL it should be band one.

It’s the fact that he is in the top 5% that is so astounding.

Well done to his management.

The original question is why are Freo fans are upset, we have lost the most on the Battle decision. We have every right to be pissed off, that's all their is too it.

Cumming hasnt gotten band 1 yet as he? But yes, watch Collingwood dump Perryman in 4 years with more than half of his 6 contract left still to pay
I actually think Brisbane are the ones that are going to be challenged most by all of this.

Their asset in their first rounder has been pushed out to pick 20 and will likely be pick 21. Going to be tough for them to get the points required for both Ashcroft and Marshall without giving up some of next years picks.

Richmond or North Melbourne should do the right thing by the league and bid on Ashcroft early.

I actually think Brisbane are the ones that are going to be challenged most by all of this.

Their asset in their first rounder has been pushed out to pick 20 and will likely be pick 21. Going to be tough for them to get the points required for both Ashcroft and Marshall without giving up some of next years picks.

Richmond or North Melbourne should do the right thing by the league and bid on Ashcroft early.
Haha maybe but obviously I could care less about the premiers struggling to find enough points to pay for their high end talent very cheaply

yeah that is what i thought with the salary cap increasing

so this is surprising that 850k got it done unless they based it on last years triggers which would be dumb

5 x $900k + $400k.

Only 5 years count so its front loaded. He may even get $1m a year for 2 years. The 6th year brings the average down to a bit over $800k.

So the claims can be correct.

so Ashcroft @ pick 1-3 for Brisbane, who has pick 18 doesn't devalue your picks
Kako @ 15 won't devalue your picks
Lombard @ top 5-10 won't devalue your picks

all who will cost their club less than face value will have zero effect on Freo
but the Saints getting 8 does.

the system is cooked

Christ. The rules are we don’t have access to Kako, Lombard and Ashcroft.
Everyone doesn’t have access and this known
Of course that dilutes the pool. But the AFL have two year in Row pulled a “value” out of their arse and given picks that aren’t justified.

This year it’s pushed pick for us back 4 times. 9, 10 and 16 twice.

So in affect our live picks are now worse.

Good result all around.

Pick 8 is more than he’d be worth on the open market in a trade, but it’s closer to his true value than band 2 compo (which could end up in the mid to late 20’s) would have been, so it’s a reasonable result.

And we could do with a break, because unlike some teams, we’ve remained very competitive for several years in a row now, rather than drop down and become a basket case and get rewarded with high picks, but it’s very hard to get out of that middle part of the ladder (because you don’t get the crème of the draft, and really good players don’t want to play for you), so you need a break or two.

Didn’t hear him talk about Free Agency comp funnily enough.

Does this priority pick change F/S and Academy bids ?.

Brisbanes rorts are fine so no sweat for us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, if he’s in the top 5% of wage earners in the AFL it should be band one.

It’s the fact that he is in the top 5% that is so astounding.

Well done to his management.
Most of the top earners these days are just players getting a big payday to jump ship.

We saw that last year with McKay.

The AFL needs to get rid of free agency compensation, academy picks and father son picks.

The compensation system is clearly politically driven, with zero transparency or accountability from the AFL. The system has proven to be more unfair than equitable - removing compensation means that more players would be traded pre-agency, leaving other clubs to pay a fair price instead of political AFL handouts corrupting the system.

Academy and father son mean we don't have a free draft - this is going to become an obscene issue over the next three years. Wouldn't be surprised to see the AFL flip flop back to not being able to match early academy bids as a result.

The original question is why are Freo fans are upset, we have lost the most on the Battle decision. We have every right to be pissed off, that's all their is too it.

Cumming hasnt gotten band 1 yet as he? But yes, watch Collingwood dump Perryman in 4 years with more than half of his 6 contract left still to pay
Maybe console yourself with the fact you got pick 2 for Lachie Weller and pick 8, a 2nd rounder and Blake Acres, for Hill, which were both outrageous overs, and landed you Brayshaw and Serong.

It’s a very deep draft, if you don’t get great value from your picks that’s on you.

It’s also worth noting that had we rolled over and let Carlton win that final game, we’d have picks 5 and 6, yet we aren’t crying ourselves to sleep about it.

Who cares about pick 8. I know from experience SOS is highly likely to **** it up anyway.
Or the Saints could grab the next Curnow or McKay.

Pick 8 in a strong draft is a great return for Battle, who's a really solid player, but not a world beater. He might even be the third most important key position player currently for the Saints.

I'd be quietly very pleased if I was a St Kilda supporter.

yeah that is what i thought with the salary cap increasing

so this is surprising that 850k got it done unless they based it on last years triggers which would be dumb
The thing that most are either forgetting or not aware of, is that for the first time this year, length of contract comes into the formula.

Had it been the amount he’s getting on last years formula, we almost certainly get band 2, but now a 6 year deal is worth twice as many points as a 3 year deal- when it comes to that part of the formula- so that’s almost certainly why it triggered band 1.

It also then goes to a committee to tick it off, and when they weigh up the fact that he’d probably get pick 12 or so in a trade and that band 2 could end up being pick 26 or so, pick 8 is a lot closer to his true value than 26ish would be.

Maybe console yourself with the fact you got pick 2 for Lachie Weller and pick 8, a 2nd rounder and Blake Acres, for Hill, which were both outrageous overs, and landed you Brayshaw and Serong.

It’s a very deep draft, if you don’t get great value from your picks that’s on you.

It’s also worth noting that had we rolled over and let Carlton win that final game, we’d have picks 5 and 6, yet we aren’t crying ourselves to sleep about it.
Ridiculous strawman and I'm not the one bit annoyed at Saints so I don't know why you feel the need to defend it. Enjoy the win, it's not your clubs fault or problem

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Josh Battle - Joins Hawthorn as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Back