Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Talk about suspect quoting of what Tom Morris said.

He said: “It’s right on the edge”

The rest is his opinion.

It doesn’t need to start with a 9 to trigger. It can be 875k for example and trigger band 1 due to the rest of the triggers adding up.

Morris is literally repeating what Ralph said a few weeks back, however he failed to add the clubs view - below from Ralph, and clubs have some form of an idea as to what it will end up being. It isn’t a complete surprise to them.

How do you know it doesn't need to start with a 9? You have absolutely no idea and are also guessing.

Also how is that suspect reporting of what Tom said? he literally said it was his opinion that it wouldn't be band 1 which is exactly what I said.

What I have learned over time though that when it comes to things like AFL rules or verdicts that the journos have pretty good intel. The AFL essentially uses them to condition the public about an outcome.

If Tom’s word is that anything under 900k isn’t going to trigger band 1, that’s coming from the AFL. The only variable will be what the actual offer is but from all reports it is less than 900k.

You may get band 1 but my recommendation is to prepare for the worst, because it sounds like that is what will happen.

Bit of research from your end might.
Already dealt with you lot regarding Battle to Hawks early on, I would pipe down

You are guessing on your calculations, under 900k wont trigger band 1

So Im sweet

Band 1 / Band 2 - No matter, Battle took less to come to Hawthorn, speaks volumes

Will be a great addition to the best backline in the comp next year

Just re Ben McKay

Other than the increase in comparative wages that makes band 1 harder, it’s also important to remember Ben McKay was younger for free agency purposes.

Makes a difference when it’s close

How do you know it doesn't need to start with a 9? You have absolutely no idea and are also guessing.

What I have learned over time though that when it comes to things like AFL rules or verdicts that the journos have pretty good intel. The AFL essentially uses them to condition the public about an outcome.

If Tom’s word is that anything under 900k isn’t going to trigger band 1, that’s coming from the AFL. The only variable will be what the actual offer is but from all reports it is less than 900k.

You may get band 1 but my recommendation is to prepare for the worst, because it sounds like that is what will happen.
Every journo has literally ran with - it’s on the edge/cusp of a band 1 trigger.

The reason we factor things such as age/contract years etc is so that salary amount isn’t the ONLY factor. It may be the biggest, but it doesn’t mean that a figure starting with 8 won’t trigger band 1.

So no, I’m not guessing that’s pretty factual based on the AFLs public outline of what is part of the consideration for compensation.

Also re Journos, funny how they seem to know the contract starts with an 8 and yet cannot categorically rule out band 1.

I’ll take my clubs confidence here above them.

Already dealt with you lot regarding Battle to Hawks early on, I would pipe down

You are guessing on your calculations, under 900k wont trigger band 1

So Im sweet

Band 1 / Band 2 - No matter, Battle took less to come to Hawthorn, speaks volumes

Will be a great addition to the best backline in the comp next year
I’ve said for months he was coming to the Hawks. It’s in here. Have a look and then apologise.

I also said it would be band 1

Just re Ben McKay

Other than the increase in comparative wages that makes band 1 harder, it’s also important to remember Ben McKay was younger for free agency purposes.

Makes a difference when it’s close
Yes.

But contract length wasn’t a formal trigger.

It is now and it would appear the Battle deal will be minimum 5 years. So provide maximum points towards the calculation.

He will get the 2nd highest points based for his age.

Every journo has literally ran with - it’s on the edge/cusp of a band 1 trigger.

The reason we factor things such as age/contract years etc is so that salary amount isn’t the ONLY factor. It may be the biggest, but it doesn’t mean that a figure starting with 8 won’t trigger band 1.

So no, I’m not guessing that’s pretty factual based on the AFLs public outline of what is part of the consideration for compensation.

Also re Journos, funny how they seem to know the contract starts with an 8 and yet cannot categorically rule out band 1.

I’ll take my clubs confidence here above them.
They can't rule it out because they don't have a set criteria outlined to them on what triggers band 1 compo. They don't have that because the AFL doesn't let clubs know what that is so they can't manipulate it. Seems fairly straight forward to me.

Battle is 26 so he's not at the bottom end of age and he's not triggering the wage side either by the sounds of it so it seems to not be working in your favor based on that information.

As we get closer to FA and the journos start saying it's less likely for band 1, I'd be fairly confident they are right.

They can't rule it out because they don't have a set criteria outlined to them on what triggers band 1 compo. They don't have that because the AFL doesn't let clubs know what that is so they can't manipulate it. Seems fairly straight forward to me.

Battle is 26 so he's not at the bottom end of age and he's not triggering the wage side either by the sounds of it so it seems to not be working in your favor based on that information.

As we get closer to FA and the journos start saying it's less likely for band 1, I'd be fairly confident they are right.
They know enough of the 4 public triggers and as per this morning radio interview - Buckley was pretty quick to pull Morris in line about this being band 1. “How is it not band 1!?” And proceeded to discuss the guaranteed average salary.

• Their average guaranteed contract value
  • What percentile of the AFL contracts theirs falls into
  • Age - with 25-year-old's getting most value
  • Contract years - 5 years being the maximum points trigger
It would be absolutely beyond poor management for a player manager for his 26 year old client to take a lesser deal to go to Hawthorn AND be on LESS of a GUARANTEED salary.

Which again, is why the 9 figure isn’t the be all and end all.

What’s likely occurring here and this would be a guess. Is that the publicised stkilda offer that is greater has bonuses that take it past Hawthorns Guaranteed salary.

Thus I would imagine Hawthorns offer wouldn’t have a lot around bonus payments.

They know enough of the 4 public triggers and as per this morning radio interview - Buckley was pretty quick to pull Morris in line about this being band 1. “How is it not band 1!?” And proceeded to discuss the guaranteed average salary.

• Their average guaranteed contract value
  • What percentile of the AFL contracts theirs falls into
  • Age - with 25-year-old's getting most value
  • Contract years - 5 years being the maximum points trigger
It would be absolutely beyond poor management for a player manager for his 26 year old client to take a lesser deal to go to Hawthorn AND be on LESS of a GUARANTEED salary.

Which again, is why the 9 figure isn’t the be all and end all.

What’s likely occurring here and this would be a guess. Is that the publicised stkilda offer that is greater has bonuses that take it past Hawthorns Guaranteed salary.

Thus I would imagine Hawthorns offer wouldn’t have a lot around bonus payments.
Sounds like you're going to tie yourself in knots up until next Friday.

I look forward to seeing the final outcome.

Sounds like you're going to tie yourself in knots up until next Friday.

I look forward to seeing the final outcome.
Pretty relaxed about the entire situation to be honest.

Just think it’s funny watching opposition supporters proclaim so confidently it won’t be band 1.

Tom Morris reporting that he doesn't believe it will be band 1 compensation.
Saints fans would be furious but its the right decision from an external perception POV if that is the case.
Almost exactly what happened in the Crouch deal if this happens

what goes around comes around i suppose

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty relaxed about the entire situation to be honest.

Just think it’s funny watching opposition supporters proclaim so confidently it won’t be band 1.
I don't think I have said anything definitively or with confidence that it won't be band 1. I've only stated what is being reported now and all the information at hand that it's not looking as promising for you. Nothing more, nothing less.

I don't think I have said anything definitively or with confidence that it won't be band 1. I've only stated what is being reported now and all the information at hand that it's not looking as promising for you. Nothing more, nothing less.
You are putting a lot of weight in what Tom Morris said today and ignoring the rest of what he said.

He also literally says 😂

“We don’t know yet”

“It’s right on the edge”

Morris is guessing. The same way Ralph reported the same salary figures and said he doesn’t know how it will land but the saints are super confident it’s band 1.

I’ve said for months he was coming to the Hawks. It’s in here. Have a look and then apologise.

I also said it would be band 1
Said Battle was Hawks bound a long way out, your little mates kept chirping and proclaiming “announcement this week”, “announcement Monday” and what happened?

From any info given in the media or otherwise, if the contracted terms are at an average of under 900k on average at a 5 year deal, it’s reasonable for it to be Band 2 with the CBA uptick

Outside of that, your guessing

You keep saying Saints were super confident about Band 1, weren’t they also super confident Battle was staying?
(Via Ross Lyons mouthpiece - JZ)

Said Battle was Hawks bound a long way out, your little mates kept chirping and proclaiming “announcement this week”, “announcement Monday” and what happened?

From any info given in the media or otherwise, if the contracted terms are at an average of under 900k on average at a 5 year deal, it’s reasonable for it to be Band 2 with the CBA uptick

Outside of that, your guessing

You keep saying Saints were super confident about Band 1, weren’t they also super confident Battle was staying?
(Via Ross Lyons mouthpiece - JZ)
I’ve said the entire time he is leaving. My source has been the club.

I’ve said the entire way through it’s band 1.

Playing group and Ross may have felt confident he was staying. List management did not.

You are putting a lot of weight in what Tom Morris said today and ignoring the rest of what he said.

He also literally says 😂

“We don’t know yet”

“It’s right on the edge”

Morris is guessing. The same way Ralph reported the same salary figures and said he doesn’t know how it will land but the saints are super confident it’s band 1.
‘There’s every chance this is not the pick the saints want it to be’ I can also selectively choose quotes from Morris to make my point.

You’re obviously a lot more invested but it sounds like a genuine coin toss based on that reporting and the tone from Morris was that it’s not sounding promising for you.

Do you think with everything else going on in the footy world right now Morris is going to put that on his agenda as part of his 10 minute radio segment this morning if he hasn’t heard some kind of recent whisper? These afl news cycles are very predictable if you’re paying attention.

You can believe in st Kilda supreme confidence if you want to, be my guest.

‘There’s every chance this is not the pick the saints want it to be’ I can also selectively choose quotes from Morris to make my point.

You’re obviously a lot more invested but it sounds like a genuine coin toss based on that reporting and the tone from Morris was that it’s not sounding promising for you.

Do you think with everything else going on in the footy world right now Morris is going to put that on his agenda as part of his 10 minute radio segment this morning if he hasn’t heard some kind of recent whisper? These afl news cycles are very predictable if you’re paying attention.

You can believe in st Kilda supreme confidence if you want to, be my guest.
I purposely excluded that quote because it highlights the entire fabrication of what he reported.

There was no facts. He is guessing and after saying his opinion is that the saints won’t get pick 8 because Battles contract starts with an 8 - he ends the entire conversation with.

“It’s right on the edge.”

Which you are backing in as he has heard a whisper.

Which is also impossible as Morris states that AFL will work through the compo NEXT WEEK.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unrestricted Free Agent Josh Battle [UFA 2024] “Make me a Hawk”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back