Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

If im Bulldogs Im open to trading him but not for speculative picks.

I mean if we are fair dinkum, Carlton and Bulldogs could sit together and work out a trade very quickly because Carlton have a abundance of tall forwards and Carlton also need some help for Cripps and a ready to go replacement for Curnow too

A move such as McKay + pick for Dunkley + McLean would work

McKay/Naughton would be beastly going forward
For the first time since the mid 1950s we're actually ok for tall forwards - JUH will get to us this year and he can develop while Bruce/Naughton take the big defenders. Ideally we'd pick up a ruck so English can rest forward as well (he looked better forward than Bruce did this year).

We do desperately need a quality KPD, Keath did ok but is better suited to the no 2 role (free him up so he can intercept more) and Cordy is hit or miss as a 1 KPD.

Collingwood may look to trade into the top 10 before a McInnes pick and may be looking to trade out their future first due to the Daicos bid next year. Could give overs to get a top 10 pick this year.

Essendon
In: Dunkley
Out: pick 7, pick 16

Dogs
Out: Dunkley, future second
In: Pick 14, Pick 16 and future 1st

Collingwood
Out: Pick 14 and future 1st
In: Pick 7 and future second (points for Daicos bid)

Gives dogs pick 12, pick 14, pick 16 and two future firsts as first round selections over the next two years
Plenty of clubs would be willing to trade up for some of those first round picks. The future firsts can be used as currency to target a player next year if someone becomes available or dogs can use it in a strong draft.

Otherwise, 7 and 16 for Dunkley is an option.

From a dogs viewpoint I think that is fairly decent. Probably would like to trade pick 14 and our own pick 12 into 2021 picks. Considering that can happen until draft night I think it's reasonable.

He had a little bit of an interrupted year. If he stays, I would ideally like those numbers to be around 60% for all 5 players evenly split. Bont/Dunks can spend a small amount of time forward, Smith/Macrae can spend a little bit of time on the wing each & Libba will need to be managed moving forward.

The other big question that needs to be answered is the value of said first rounder(s).

If we get pick 14 instead of pick 7(8) for Saad that changes things significantly in terms of draft pick value index.

If we get Carlton's 2021 first, we on trade that Dogs for Dunkley + something else which would go a long way to helping the Dogs avoid using a lot of 2020 draft pick (points).
But do you do a deal for Caldwell first? Given he's OOC it seems if you can only get one done, that will be the easier deal to get over the line. That will even further reduce flexibility to satisfy a Dunkley deal even if one or two other clubs can be bought into a potential deal.

technically they can. But in the hypothetical world where Dunkley nominates a trade do they really want to keep a player who doesn't want to be there? Who they don't even use in his preferred position?

We more than anyone knows that sh*t generally doesn't go well, buy yes in some situations it works out.

Yeah. Even if he has a average year and plays entirely forward he's still in our 22. And if he requests a trade immediately next year, it's much better scenario for us. We can actually use draft picks so they'll have some worth, and we'll also have more time to line up a trade target. As is it's too late to lure someone as everyone we really need is either taken or committed to re-signing. We can't get his worth this year so why bother trying.

Will be interesting and the JUH situation makes it all the more risky for both teams.

2 Future firsts could end up in a terrible trade for either team. We look like geniuses if Essendon **** the bed and the intended late first rounder also ends up top 10. Vice versa and both those first round picks involve teams in the GF would be a stinker of a trade for us.

If Essendon give you two top 10 picks for Dunkley than that will be the nail in the coffin for dodoro.

But do you do a deal for Caldwell first? Given he's OOC it seems if you can only get one done, that will be the easier deal to get over the line. That will even further reduce flexibility to satisfy a Dunkley deal even if one or two other clubs can be bought into a potential deal.

Free Agency opens up a few days earlier doesn't it? Would mean Saad + Daniher could potentially be sorted before the trade window meaning we know what we're working with, especially since depending what happens with Geelong / GWS / Cameron and Brisbane / Essendon / Daniher might dictate whether Carlton can split 7 or not.

we've done multiple trades in one period before (saad, stringer, smith)
Caldwell seems as simple as either a future 2nd or swap of 1sts and we upgrade GWS this year.

Latter probably depends on what we get for Daniher & Saad.

Key is how we satisfy the Dogs for Dunkley
Lot of moving parts there.

IMO the nail should have been when he rejected the two top ten picks on offer for Daniher.

Let's see how he plays out this trade period.

that was a **** up but it wasn't all dodoro...

at least it will be an interesting trade period.

From a dogs viewpoint I think that is fairly decent. Probably would like to trade pick 14 and our own pick 12 into 2021 picks. Considering that can happen until draft night I think it's reasonable.
Yep I think you'd find a few clubs who are keen. I think that's a win/win/win. Collingwood would be pretty satisfied by that as well.

IMO the nail should have been when he rejected the two top ten picks on offer for Daniher.

Let's see how he plays out this trade period.
there is talk that wasn't Dodoro and was more a Richardson/Campbell call (makes sense. a pure list manager wouldn't look that haul in the mouth and knock it back imo. SOS has also said 9 wasn't on the table...but how much that's covering for his mate?).

2x 1sts is fine with Dogs sending future 2nd back.
That's your standard going rate for a contracted quality mid who you don't want to lose but they've asked to leave.

Future 1sts make more sense, so we'll need to put ours on the table.
And i reckon we target the Pies' 1st given it's going to be smashed by Daicos. Flick them 6 & future 3rd for 2020 1st and future 1st.

Send both to Dogs for Dunkley
Get a 2nd back next year.
Go into this year Saad pick, Daniher pick, Fantasia pick & Pies 1st (~18 once all bids and FA comp are in)
2021 we'll have 2x 2nds (or 1 if we use one to pay for Caldwell)

For the first time since the mid 1950s we're actually ok for tall forwards - JUH will get to us this year and he can develop while Bruce/Naughton take the big defenders. Ideally we'd pick up a ruck so English can rest forward as well (he looked better forward than Bruce did this year).

We do desperately need a quality KPD, Keath did ok but is better suited to the no 2 role (free him up so he can intercept more) and Cordy is hit or miss as a 1 KPD.

My issue is you said Bruce/Naughton

Bruce is trash

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is just my personal opinion, but I don't see Dunkley as a '2 x high first round picks' player.

He's a very, very good mid but for mine there are very few players worth 2 x top ten picks.

I rate Dunkley somewhere like Neale was when at the Dockers and he went for 6 + 19 + 55 for Neale and 30.

A 3 way trade between Essendon, Dogs and Dons might work...

Dogs
Give - Dunkley
Get - Future 1st + 19 + 42

Brisbane
Give - 18 + 19
Get - Daniher

Essendon
Give - Daniher + Future 1st + 42
Get Dunkley + 18

So because I had nothing better to do (silly me), and got a bit jack of this type of claim:
there were dogs supporters in here earlier asking for Merrett + our 2021 first pick.........

The dogs supporters in here suggesting he's worth more than 2 firsts should line up a wall and run at it. might re arrange things for the better.

But to sit in here and suggest that the trade, even hypothetically, would be a straight up swap for Merrett is beyond laughable, let alone the other dogs fans who think it would be Merrett + our 2021 first.....like come on.......Dunkley would be safe as houses if you think that's his price.

Just stop it.

There was this, which values AMT at a first rounder in next years draft. Laughably bad for us.

Josh Dunkley and our 2020 1st round pick for Zach Merrett and Anthony Mcdonald-Tipunhoweveryouspellit.

There was this, nowhere near a claim we're trying to take your first rounder also.

You honestly think Dogs should add something to a hypothetical Dunkley/Merrett swap? Is this a joke?

There was this asking for a theoretical pick 6 & 7 to see if we could get pick 2. Not really a trade I can see Essendon doing even if they were desperate, but it's not THAT far out of the realms of possibility if other picks went back your way.

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

This would leave (prior to further free agency compensation & bids):

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Adelaide with pick 2 (or pick 1), pick 6, pick 7 & pick 8.

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).

So please stop posting shit like this...

Sure we need Dunkley, potential to be a great inside mid - but that doesn't mean we pay 3 x what's he's worth....

I'd happily pay 2 x Firsts for Dunkley to get him out of the dogs. But anymore is a joke. Not even Neale + Kelly went for more.

Any ridiculous trade suggestion regarding Merrett and extras, or more than two first rounders HAS NOT been introduced to the thread by any Bulldogs poster. I couldn't even find any that were truly horrendous from an Essendon viewpoint.

If you would please indulge us as to where these are en masse that you seem to be claiming, I'll happily admit I was wrong.

Geez there's a narrow window there between what you consider the absolute peak of what you could ask, and the minority you should be receiving.

Yes, I agree. I don't want to be fleeced, which would be below the minimum, and I'm not asking for ridiculous overs, whoch would exceed the maximum. Simples.

It is just my personal opinion, but I don't see Dunkley as a '2 x high first round picks' player.

He's a very, very good mid but for mine there are very few players worth 2 x top ten picks.

I rate Dunkley somewhere like Neale was when at the Dockers and he went for 6 + 19 + 55 for Neale and 30.

Dogs
Give - Dunkley

Brisbane
Give - 18 + 19
Get - Daniher

Essendon
Get Dunkley + 18

Not a bad effort actually mate, but I don’t think the Lions will entertain giving up their 2 first rounders for Joe. I like the idea of the Dons giving up a future first though, as that would be more appealing to the dogs than an early pick this year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Finally someone in the media talking a bit of sense re this situation

I wouldn't personally listen to what Riley says. And before anyone starts I actually don't think this trade will get done, but there is a fairly easy way to do the trade. Collingwood swap next year's first for this year's first - they are similar to Bulldogs with JUH this year in that next year their first pick will be pointless as Daicos will get a very early bid. Essendons next year's first goes to Bulldogs so they get good value in a stronger trade period and no waste non this year's with JUHs bid eating into their pick. Dunkley to the Bombers. Obviously there would be more to the trade either by pick swaps or players etc but Essendon only need to get in another first which they can get from Saad or Daniher or something else and then they can trade another first if they need to as part of the Dunkley trade. So, not that hard to see a trade is certainly quite easy to achieve, even though I think as mentioned earlier that it won't happen.

Dogs
Give - Dunkley

Brisbane
Give - 18 + 19
Get - Daniher

Essendon
Get Dunkley + 18

That’s a pretty good starting point for a trade between the three teams. Id happily give up a future first for Dunkley if I were Essendon as he is the quality of player you’d hope to draft anyway.

We’d still likely have 6 and 7 this year -plus, potentially another first if Merrett leaves via FA in 2021

I wouldn't personally listen to what Riley says. And before anyone starts I actually don't think this trade will get done, but there is a fairly easy way to do the trade. Collingwood swap next year's first for this year's first - they are similar to Bulldogs with JUH this year in that next year their first pick will be pointless as Daicos will get a very early bid. Essendons next year's first goes to Bulldogs so they get good value in a stronger trade period and no waste non this year's with JUHs bid eating into their pick. Dunkley to the Bombers. Obviously there would be more to the trade either by pick swaps or players etc but Essendon only need to get in another first which they can get from Saad or Daniher or something else and then they can trade another first if they need to as part of the Dunkley trade. So, not that hard to see a trade is certainly quite easy to achieve, even though I think as mentioned earlier that it won't happen.
So Bulldogs get 2 firsts like most of us said about 50 pages ago.

Dogs
Give - Dunkley

Brisbane
Give - 18 + 19
Get - Daniher

Essendon
Get Dunkley + 18
That's pretty reasonable. Our second first round doesn't need to be a first round - only needs to be equivalent points for Jamarra. We get rid of our own first (direct swap with Pies 2021 first most obvious considering our draft positions and their Daicos situation).

That’s a pretty good starting point for a trade between the three teams. Id happily give up a future first for Dunkley if I were Essendon as he is the quality of player you’d hope to draft anyway.

We’d still likely have 6 and 7 this year -plus, potentially another first if Merrett leaves via FA in 2021
My thoughts exactly although the sticking point maybe what you have to give Carlton to go with Saad to get pick 7, especially in my scenario it leaves Essendon with no picks between 7 and 60 odd.
I could see...
Saad + future 2nd
for
Pick 7 and pick 45

Gives Carlton a stronger hand next year as they aren't really going hard at the draft this year anyway and Essendon are going harder this year

That's pretty reasonable. Our second first round doesn't need to be a first round - only needs to be equivalent points for Jamarra. We get rid of our own first (direct swap with Pies 2021 first most obvious considering our draft positions and their Daicos situation).
I find the Dogs trade down to be one of the most interesting things in trade week this year!
If you could get Pies future 1st + Essendon Future 1st, that would be phenomenal with the quality coming through next year and in some ways worth loosing Dunkley?
eg.....
Dogs
loose Dunkley + pick 12
gain (enough points from 12 to cover JUG and keep a pick under 30), 2 x 2021 1st round picks (likely around 7-12)

For mine Dunkley is a player the Dogs can afford to loose.

I find the Dogs trade down to be one of the most interesting things in trade week this year!
If you could get Pies future 1st + Essendon Future 1st, that would be phenomenal with the quality coming through next year and in some ways worth loosing Dunkley?
eg.....
Dogs
loose Dunkley + pick 12
gain (enough points from 12 to cover JUG and keep a pick under 30), 2 x 2021 1st round picks (likely around 7-12)

For mine Dunkley is a player the Dogs can afford to loose.
I agree. Personally, I would offer this, with the follow ons underneath.

Essendon will have picks 6, 7 and 8. I'd offer pick 12 and Josh Dunkley for 6 and 7. I'd then offer 6 and 7 to Adelaide for pick 1.

We will draft the best player not named Jamarra at 1, then match a bid at Jamarra (even if it means going into a deficit).

Once this was all done, I'd offer our 2021 1st round pick to Collingwood for Adam Treloar (I don't think we necessarily need him and would be happy to skip this step entirely, but there's nothing wrong with midfield depth) and a 2020 second-round pick (to help with the matching on Jamarra)

We would have:

In: Adam Treloar, Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and pick 1
Out: Josh Dunkley and pick 12

Essendon would have:

In: Josh Dunkley and pick 12
Out: Pick 6 and 7

Collingwood get Adam Treloar off their books whilst also acquiring an additional first round pick next year (at the expense of a 2020 2nd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back