Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is some criticism of Dodoro, but the defence of his trading this year and last is strident, and it's not one or two isolated examples.

Again, refer previous comments about Dodoro not valuing his own deal as enough.
There is pleeenty of criticism for Dodoro regarding Daniher. Many believed we should have traded Daniher last year instead of holding onto him. Plenty of criticism for the Shiel trade. Most Essendon fans also believed he unnecessarily made the Fantasia trade complicated.

I don’t have any problems with his conduct regarding the Dunkley trade though except for the length it took to come up with his offer. The final offer of pick 8 and a future second is more than enough. The 3-way trade for Treloar and Dunkley was also enough. Bulldogs just weren’t interested which is fair enough.

You’re misinterpreting Dodoro’s statement. Saying he wouldn’t do the deal if he was Bulldogs doesn’t mean he believes that’s what Dunkley is worth. It means he understands why Bulldogs didn’t trade Dunkley and would do the same for a player like him. A classic case of a player being worth more to a club than the open market considering Dunkley only has 3 quarters of one season last year to even justify a first rounder. There’s a reason why we targeted Dunkley over an Oliver type because he should realistically be cheaper than Oliver. Someone that’s pushed out of the midfield loses value.

Don’t think Dodoro or anyone expected the price to be 2 top 10 picks, which is what a contracted Oliver costs. We offered as high as we could and moved on from it. No issues there. All of Essendon, Bulldogs and Dunkley parted in an amicable way.

Providing Western Bulldogs soften their stance and listen to offers...Hypothetically what is he worth?

7 + 16 ?

6 + Next years Second round pick ?

Interested mostly on what supporters of clubs not involved think. I realise him being contracted for 2 years is a factor.
I think if Essendon got Carlton's future first for Saad, then on traded Carlton's future first and Essendon's future first for Dunkley is a deal that would interest the dogs. What you suggested is way unders and they won't be interested in picks this year because of Jamarra bid.

Bains never ruled out pick 5 being involved. He just ruled out a straight swap:

But St Kilda counterpart Ameet Bains said his club would reject those demands, declaring the club's pick No.5 would not be put on the trade table in exchange for Carlisle.

"Not at this point in time," Bains told reporters outside Etihad Stadium.

A straight swap never occurred, so Bains stuck to his word. Not sure how so many bombers fans continue to get this one wrong.

Just a genuine question mate. Don’t get so uptight.

Can someone tell me why Dunkley wants to move?

At this point nothing has been confirmed.

The increase in pay is the likely truth if he does actually want to leave. Other rumours range from him feeling he's being squeezed out of the midfield all the way to Essendon doing a side deal involving recruiting his vfl tier brother as a bonus. At this point it's all conjecture as nothing official has come out.

Yikes. Are Essendon being realistic as to where their list is at? Because that suggests they are going for a flag tilt when it couldnt be further from the truth. Why are they topping up when they have such glaring holes on their list?

Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, Bellchambers, Mckernan, Mckenna would make up a solid chunk of the salary cap and will all be off the books, then we also delisted lesser known a in Hibberd, Gown, Mutch and Begley. Tally all their yearly salaries up and we are talking huge gaps in our cap. We have to meet the minimum salary cap requirement somehow.

Hasn't indicated he does.

IF he does it will be money driven. Who the heck wants to go to the Essendon dumpster fire
Thank you.
It seems incredibly bizarre he would want to move. Unless he got some crazy offer from the bombers that would be impossible to turn down.

If Dunkley does go, it makes caldwells decision look stupid

Just a genuine question mate. Don’t get so uptight.

Can someone tell me why Dunkley wants to move?
In what universe has that happened? It's a Tom Browne rumour and Dunks has never indicated he wants out, at least not yet.

The reality is no one knows what Dunkley wants, he's on holiday and has not said a single thing about it. If he leaves, it's for the huge money Essendon are offering

so you think our CEO is sitting at the trade table? making list decisions and negotiating with other clubs over who we need and who is expendable, vetoing trades etc?

That type of thing may actually go on at Essendon but it might be news to you that this isn't normal in the rest of the league, as shocking as that may sound

So they... do want him out of the club?

And how’s the attempted lecture... Peter Gordon is the only club president in history to make a point of personally doing a trade with Ryan Griffin and Boyd 🤣🤣

Are you doing this on purpose?

Absolutely worth two firsts and absolutely what Essendon needs, a no brainer target.

With Essendon's need to use firsts to satisfy the AFL requirements, they'll need to get 2021 firsts for Saad & Daniher.

Dodo can make a hero of himself, as he does every trade period, if he can pull off this one

Daniher, Saad, Fantasia, Bellchambers, Mckernan, Mckenna would make up a solid chunk of the salary cap and will all be off the books, then we also delisted lesser known a in Hibberd, Gown, Mutch and Begley. Tally all their yearly salaries up and we are talking huge gaps in our cap. We have to meet the minimum salary cap requirement somehow.

No doubt. Dont you think salary dumps would be a shrewder move though? You need to rebuild your spine, this takes time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No doubt. Dont you think salary dumps would be a shrewder move though? You need to rebuild your spine, this takes time.

We have drafted players that will hopefully make up our spine in years to come. We need some players who can contribute now. Dunkley is one of those along with a key forward. We’ve got cash to burn, a heap of empty spots on our list and we lack experience/leadership across the board so I would assume we are after a few players this trade period.

Given the dogs hold the whip hand in any Dunkley negotiations (2 years remaining on his contract). If the dogs relent (and Dodoro is serious about getting the deal done) Dunkley could be traded to Essendon for picks 6 & 7 (assuming pick 7 is involved in the Saad deal).

If Adelaide get pick 2 in compensation for Crouch, would they entertain trading pick 1 (or pick 2, along with a gentleman’s agreement to not bid on JUH?) for picks 6 & 7?

This would leave (prior to further free agency compensation & bids):

Essendon with Dunkley (and could use Daniher compensation to trade for Caldwell).

Adelaide with pick 2 (or pick 1), pick 6, pick 7 & pick 8.

Dogs with pick 1 (or pick 2 - either way a guaranteed pick before JUH bid) & pick 12 (to be traded for greater points value to match JUH bid).

Would have loved him at North, we've got cash and picks and Dunkley is the perfect age profile for us moving forward. Happy to give his brother another shot as well.

Late 1st/early 2nd and our 2021 1st for Dunkley seems reasonable to me.. surprised that he reportedly wants out at the dogs but can see how we might have sold him the 'lacking a big bodied mid' spiel and a healthy contract. I sympathise with doggies fans as its always difficult when a good player might leave.. this week will be telling to see if there is actually any chance of a trade, I suspect his manager will be on radio and get asked the question of whether he will formally request a trade. If he does, it will have to be a pretty good deal for the dogs to get it done.

What I don't understand is why people are making such a strong connection between how much we are offering Dunkley and what Essendon would need to give up in a trade. If Dunkley still wanted to join Essendon on only 2x$400,000 is he suddenly only worth 1 first rounder or less? If Essendon convinced Bont to leave at $900,000 would he then have the same value as what the dogs want for Dunkley? The answer to both of those is no. The trade value comes from how much worth he has to the team he is leaving not how much the other team is willing to pay. Which for Dunkley will still be a fair bit, he is a very good player worth a lot to the Dogs.

What I don't understand is why people are making such a strong connection between how much we are offering Dunkley and what Essendon would need to give up in a trade. If Dunkley still wanted to join Essendon on only 2,$400,000 is he suddenly only worth 1 first rounder or less? If Essendon convinced Bont to leave at $900,000 would he then have the same value as what the dogs want for Dunkley? The answer to both of those is no. The trade value comes from how much worth he has to the team he is leaving not how much the other team is willing to pay. Which for Dunkley will still be a fair bit, he is a very good player worth a lot to the Dogs.
So basically you said all of that just to admit Dunkley is good and Essendon should pony up

Late 1st/early 2nd and our 2021 1st for Dunkley seems reasonable to me.. surprised that he reportedly wants out at the dogs but can see how we might have sold him the 'lacking a big bodied mid' spiel and a healthy contract. I sympathise with doggies fans as its always difficult when a good player might leave.. this week will be telling to see if there is actually any chance of a trade, I suspect his manager will be on radio and get asked the question of whether he will formally request a trade. If he does, it will have to be a pretty good deal for the dogs to get it done.
Picks this year don’t do anything for us ... and poor ones at that

What I don't understand is why people are making such a strong connection between how much we are offering Dunkley and what Essendon would need to give up in a trade. If Dunkley still wanted to join Essendon on only 2x$400,000 is he suddenly only worth 1 first rounder or less? If Essendon convinced Bont to leave at $900,000 would he then have the same value as what the dogs want for Dunkley? The answer to both of those is no. The trade value comes from how much worth he has to the team he is leaving not how much the other team is willing to pay. Which for Dunkley will still be a fair bit, he is a very good player worth a lot to the Dogs.

Money is irrelevant correct. But doesn’t change the fact you gotta offer way overs.

Seems kinda bizarre that Essendon have targeted him in the first place, unless they've already established what could make the deal happen.

Kind of smart by Dodoro when you break it down

1) Dogs would/could/should need points for a likely early bid on JUH
2) Dunkley is down the order in his preffered position, did miss games through injury (Syndesmosis).
3) With a war chest in front of him (Dodoro), we can front load a contract to the point they would be in the very top handful of paid players in the game so why not target someone who fills a much needed hole on our list.
4) see points 1 - 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Josh Dunkley [OOC 2022, requested a trade to Essendon, didn't get there]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back