Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

So if you were the coach and you think I might try so en so in the middle and the biggest downside that you observe is he seems to get caught with the ball . Ok next week we try again and blow me down there’s two opponents on his clacker and everyone is yelling at him so he takes a bounce and bingo. So your the coach what are you going to do.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Probably try some coaching at some point.

Tell me Kirky, is this an accurate assessment by Rookiemecentral in Rachele's Draft Year .....all this outrage as to why he isn't playing midfield ....my comments on his lack of effort & two-way running, as factors to why he isn't getting midfield minutes:

Do I want to tear a player down, NO ....however there are holes in Rachele's game that were pre-existing his drafting....which are still work-ons

So why are Coaches the villains for not playing him in the midfield ....seems pretty obvious to me
____________________________________________________________________________________________

A factor which may be holding Rachele back from more midfield time is his consistency, and consistency of effort. He has developed into a player who impacts in spurts, dominating periods of a game rather than the full four quarters. You get the sense he knows just how good he is, and might not seek to prove it with each act. There are games where he simply looks on, but others where he is less energised and raring to break the game open.

Should Rachele build his tank and enhance his two-way effort, he can become an unstoppable small forward/midfielder in the modern game. Aware of some of his defensive deficiencies, he stated in preseason that he wanted to take his tackling inside 50 to the next level. He averaged 3.8 per game in the NAB League this year and is ominous when making a menace of himself, but can work on bringing that intensity for longer periods.

DRAFT PROJECTION: 6-12

SUMMARY:

Rachele is a player who, at his best, has top five potential. As the leading small forward in this year's cohort, his stocks will be boosted even further and he will likely tempt clubs inside the top 10. Work rate and consistency are essential in the modern game, but can easily be developed in an elite environment. Rachele will be drafted based on what he does so well, and there are plenty of traits which fans will quickly come to enjoy. He's a bums-on-seat type of talent, and one capable of pulling off what others simply cannot.

When challenged about Rachelle’s current play, you’ve resorted to copy n paste an amateur scouting report from when he was a junior?

Weird

Tell me Kirky, is this an accurate assessment by Rookiemecentral in Rachele's Draft Year .....all this outrage as to why he isn't playing midfield ....my comments on his lack of effort & two-way running, as factors to why he isn't getting midfield minutes:

Do I want to tear a player down, NO ....however there are holes in Rachele's game that were pre-existing his drafting....which are still work-ons

Wouldn't 2023 AFL games be more relevant than pre draft concerns?

To round 17 of 2023 he had 138 CBA's (only 2 CBA's over the last 7 rounds).

To round 14 of 2024 he has 42 CBA's.

So what changed between 2023 and 2024? Did he lose effort? Get less fit?

So why are Coaches the villains for not playing him in the midfield ....seems pretty obvious to me

So why did the coaches have him training with the midfield group all pre-season only then to not play him there?

Seems a real waste of Preseason training time and resources? The club released media pieces about how he was training with the midfield group and would be spending a lot more time in the middle. Rachele was quoted that his expectation that he would play a lot of time in the middle.

So obviously there is a massive disconnect here.

And its not just Rachele - its also Pedlar. Pedlar had 80+ CBA's from round 9 to round 24 last year (after having 1 in the first 8 rounds). He then also trained heavily with the midfielders in the preseason and was expected to increase midfield time. He had 2 CBA's up until he was injured in the 3rd game of the year and was used as a bloody defensive forward on Stewart.

So why did the coaches have him training with the midfield group all pre-season only then to not play him there?

Seems a real waste of Preseason training time and resources? The club released media pieces about how he was training with the midfield group and would be spending a lot more time in the middle. Rachele was quoted that his expectation that he would play a lot of time in the middle.

So obviously there is a massive disconnect here.

And its not just Rachele - its also Pedlar. Pedlar had 80+ CBA's from round 9 to round 24 last year (after having 1 in the first 8 rounds). He then also trained heavily with the midfielders in the preseason and was expected to increase midfield time. He had 2 CBA's up until he was injured in the 3rd game of the year and was used as a bloody defensive forward on Stewart.
Sometimes the intention of Coaches is not met with effort by the players !

You can't lump every player failure on Coaches .....the old adage, no-one sacks (delists) a player ....it's the player that got himself delisted

The Club trained Rachele and Pedlar in the midfield over the PS (I accept your premise on that) .....but if the players do not play the roles as required, the Coaches can't continue to play them in that role

We believe Pedlar hasn't been totally committed over the PS ..his form a reflection of that

Pedlar, is judged on what he does with the ball ....however, a huge part of a players role these days is what a player does without the ball ....two way running & pressure ...most Clubs are trying to have a successful turnover game, on the back of pressure

Just as an example .....is the current form of Oliver, the Coaches fault, or the players fault ??? ....except MELB keeps on playing Oliver midfield, and it's costing games

Iv been wondering for a while if both arnt able yet to maintain it for a whole season yet, so the plan from the outset was to time our peak and have them in the middle second half.

The Club trained Rachele and Pedlar in the midfield over the PS (I accept your premise on that) .....but if the players do not play the roles as required, the Coaches can't continue to play them in that role

Hmmmm....

But they weren't given a chance to play their roles in 2024....

Rachele had 4 CBA's through the first 4 games. So all preseason were his efforts enough? If not - why didn't he train with the forwards where he has ended up playing 95% of his time this season? If his preseason efforts were good enough - why wasn't he given a run in the midfield in the first four weeks when we went 0-4?

Rachele was publicly baffled why he wasn't used in the midfield.

It doesn't add up.

So why haven’t they dropped him then and I’m not sure that he ever got more than a few centre bounces and then rolled forward.
Can you imagine the outcry by supporters .....do you mean Rachele or Oliver ?

Iv been wondering for a while if both arnt able yet to maintain it for a whole season yet, so the plan from the outset was to time our peak and have them in the middle second half.

It's a legit thought I had as well.

I know that the past two seasons Rachele in particular has run out of steam after week 10.

Perhaps Nicks thought we would be flying early season, ease in Rachele / Pedlar and have them firing for finals.

I thought that Nicks' use of Rachele in 2022 / 2023 was great. His use in 2024 is completely and utterly stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really don't think there's any plan beyond picking the team for this Saturday

They didn't even think through Rachele as a midfielder plus extra midfield time for Rankine if our structure only allows us to roll 4-5 players through there

Hmmmm....

But they weren't given a chance to play their roles in 2024....

Rachele had 4 CBA's through the first 4 games. So all preseason were his efforts enough? If not - why didn't he train with the forwards where he has ended up playing 95% of his time this season? If his preseason efforts were good enough - why wasn't he given a run in the midfield in the first four weeks when we went 0-4?

Rachele was publicly baffled why he wasn't used in the midfield.

It doesn't add up.
Don't believe for one second what players say publicly ! .....remember they're 20 / 21 year olds

It's quality of CBA's ....or should I say, what he does after the ball leaves the circle

3-4 weeks ago Rachele was inserted into CBA's in the 3rd qtr of a game ....he only lasted 10 min ....effort was minimal & he was walking up and down inside the centre square ....whilst Soligo was down in the opposition goal square ....that's the difference in effort

No use keeping him in CBA's if he isn't going to play the role the Coaches want ......and then supporters blame the Van Berlo, because we're getting smashed in the midfield

It's a hiding to nothing scenario

Is it actually a weakness? It's one minor instance of it in junk time after he had shown some really courageous efforts earlier in the game. It's a cheap shot on a player that the media seem to made their whipping boy this year. It's becoming like Kane's campaign against Ginnivan from the last couple of seasons.
Kane is a parasite that has to be controversial to stay relevant.

It seems to me, a player who's main focus is developing new goal celebrations, has lost perspective .....and has got ahead of himself

I don't mind this criticism ....there's the basis of a good player there ...he just needs re-programming, which he's young enough to do

This wake-up call ....the public criticism, his public questioning of the lack of midfield time ...and the deciding of when & where he puts in effort ...could be the turning point in 2025

You'd think there'll be a lot of soul-searching by Rachele ....I'm sure he wants to be more than a good average player
Your comments are rubbish Wayne. I can’t read them anymore.

Does anyone think that Rachele's lack of progress this year is out of step with most of the squad?
Not played in the middle, plays in a forward line with low inside 50s, shit delivery, slow game plan in a bottom team, it’s a recipe for success. Having said that he’s on track for 30 goals as a small forward, not a bad return problem is he’s a pick 6.

Sometimes the intention of Coaches is not met with effort by the players !

You can't lump every player failure on Coaches .....the old adage, no-one sacks (delists) a player ....it's the player that got himself delisted

We believe Pedlar hasn't been totally committed over the PS ..his form a reflection of that

Pedlar, is judged on what he does with the ball ....however, a huge part of a players role these days is what a player does without the ball ....two way running & pressure ...most Clubs are trying to have a successful turnover game, on the back of pressure

Just as an example .....is the current form of Oliver, the Coaches fault, or the players fault ??? ....except MELB keeps on playing Oliver midfield, and it's costing games

You're trying to conflate the form of senior players with the development of younger players even though they're two completely different things.

Clarry is an elite player when he's at his best, there's questions at the moment over his form and in his case we already know that much of it is driven by his personal issues.

Rachele and Pedlar are developing players and Nicks' role, like every other coach, is to develop talent and get the best out of them.

This clearly isn't happening and trying to use Oliver's personal issues off the field as a smokescreen to try and shift blame away from Nicks for their development being stifled seems like another attempt at a hail mary.

I really don't think there's any plan beyond picking the team for this Saturday

They didn't even think through Rachele as a midfielder plus extra midfield time for Rankine if our structure only allows us to roll 4-5 players through there

Let me have some hope!

We will be coming back pretty fresh with those 2, Thilthorpe, Murray, Tex rested 3 weeks, ROBs been playing 2s, Daws resting forward.

Could be why they wanted to quieten the noise around Nicks early, darkest before the dawn.

Im thinking conspiracy now

Can you imagine the outcry by supporters .....do you mean Rachele or Oliver ?
Rachele, he’s obviously not worried about supporters when he plays McHenry and a Murphy each week.
If he’s genuinely worried about supporters reactions to dropping a highly rated kid for not working hard enough, he should just walk now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Josh Rachele - Sent To The Gulag!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back