An apology to the “negative” supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

As an extremely positive poster I acknowledge I was wrong and that the club is actually bad, which is tough for me to say because I've never said so before

It is tough to see the club in this situation. But let me ask you, is it negative to call a spade a f&^ing shovel?

To me, being negative is just hating on certain players, thinking the world is falling in because we have a single loss etc. Never do I equate being negative with telling the truth when its deserved.

The club is headed for a world of pain. Thats just brutal honesty. We have a board thats struggled to get the most basics of deals done to find a new headquarters. We have a board that appears to be void of leadership. We have an off field full of individuals. I think we have clear factions within the playing group developing and a disconnect between the coaches and players.

The current selection policies have dissolved all selection integrity.

Being positive is simply putting lipstick on a pig. At the end of the day its still a pig. This is what the happy clappers do.

If we had no injuries, I have no doubt we'd probably have made finals. But injuries are part of the game and they will take a toll. But the issue for me isn't so much this year, its the next two years. Tex is certain to retire. Fogarty isn't going to lead our forward line like we need him too. He isn't trying to bring Curtin into a much needed running position, probably to replace Milera who could be cooked.

The fact is that if you don't future plan as well as plan for the match in front of you you are asking for a world of hurt. Nicks threw everything he had at a finals appearance with this years best 22, throwing out all development. we could only win 50% of our games and missed out. He blatantly tried again, cycling through the best 22 he could muster each week for a shot at finals and we have only won 4 games for the year. Dowling should have played 4 weeks before now. Curtin should have played 4 or 5 full games by now. Cook, Nank should have played 6-8 weeks before they actually came in last year and then again this year.

This is the problem when you have no eye to the future. Nicks is not going to take us to be a regular top 4 contender. Its like he if going all out to hang his hat on a solitary finals appearance at the expense of anything regarding the immediate following seasons. He had 4 good years of a low injury count and its clear he took it for granted by incorporating this ridiculous golden tickets club. He has been exposed so bad right now.

Nicks is a Plan A coach. Next mature body comes in. Thats it. What we saw tonight was a coach bereft of ideas and planning.

Nicks for me is nothing more than a Robert Shaw type coach. Will go down in history as probably our worst coach. Which is quite the effort.

I dont get it.

Sandy: and you never will

Sad Homer Simpson GIF

Apart from Taylor, Edwards, Ryan there are really no other youngsters on our list to blood that truly look like they have AFL potential so the cupboard looks really bare right now once we have a few injuries. We have a number of back ended players squadwise that look SANFL quality but not good enough for pushing the side further up the ladder at AFL level

The next couple of off seasons need to work and there is not enough trust in the guys currently there to nail the off season to bring in the right players for what we need. A root and branch back of house rebuilt needs to also be considered if we ever want to hope to win another flag

Apart from Taylor, Edwards, Ryan there are really no other youngsters on our list to blood that truly look like they have AFL potential so the cupboard looks really bare right now once we have a few injuries. We have a number of back ended players squadwise that look SANFL quality but not good enough for pushing the side further up the ladder at AFL level

The next couple of off seasons need to work and there is not enough trust in the guys currently there to nail the off season to bring in the right players for what we need. A root and branch back of house rebuilt needs to also be considered if we ever want to hope to win another flag

I really don't think performing regularly at SANFL level is the foundation that many think it is. If you aren't good enough for AFL once your fitness is up to scratch, then becoming a better SANFL player isn't going to help.

I really don't think performing regularly at SANFL level is the foundation that many think it is. If you aren't good enough for AFL once your fitness is up to scratch, then becoming a better SANFL player isn't going to help.
This is telling from just last night. Here are the player stats. Dowling - 1st game at this level. 17 Disposals, a goal and 9 marks with 437 Metres gained. Been left to 'develop' in the SANFL whilst McHenry and Murphy get gifted game after game after game. Experienced Murphy with over 100 AFL games 11 disposals, 1 goal and 5 marks and 225 metres gained. Ned McHenry, comes on in 3rd 1/4, has 70 games and is in the side for pressure - has 0 tackles.

On what planet do they justify not playing Dowling for so long and then justify keeping on gifting games to the other 2. remember, McHenry and Murphy often both occupy half forward roles which is where they brought Dowling in and played him for large parts of the game.

This is just a microcosm of whats wrong with the way players are treated at our club.

MatchSeason avg.
#PlayerAFGBDKHMTHOCLRMGGAToG%
Ranked by Fantasy Points (descending)
#PlayerAFGBDKHMTHOCLRMGGAToG%
12Jordan Dawson124003215175804504288
27Luke Nankervis1110028171111100284084
16Max Michalanney108002516911201320085
38Lachlan Sholl9601231677301377094
29Rory Laird90002810182507273082
31Billy Dowling8910171349202437069
32Darcy Fogarty873214958200246092
35James Borlase801113856441164086
14Jake Soligo7701201195403258173
17Will Hamill7500151057400254075
3Sam Berry740112662905186071
8Josh Rachele7220121027100283276
41Jordon Butts6800141049100122094
33Brodie Smith6601201194200455086
20Mitchell Hinge6401221392000534176
48Mark Keane62001614242012010100
45Kieran Strachan601010644013250057
4Lachlan Murphy501111745000225066
1Chayce Jones460014861302279088
26Harry Schoenberg381012481001100068
2Ben Keays350014311200170089
21Chris Burgess3100431128071077
25Ned McHenry16008260001147126

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Line up positive posters who have got stuck into us “negative” posters who were correct when we’ve identified the issues with this club for years now.

Surely now you get it.

So show yourself, a simple “I was wrong I am sorry” will do.

So who is first?
I've been pessimistic on the club's outlook for some time (cf. the "Our Current Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Me Wrong" thread which I posted in March 2021) and don't take any real comfort from the fact that our performances are continuing to bear out this prediction.

In spite of that I do believe at its core following a footy team should be an inherently positive and optimistic experience and so I don't bear any ill will to those who choose to take an optimistic bent on things and I certainly don't think they owe anyone with a contrary opinion an apology.

Surely we can all agree that in the current environment - no one wins!

The fall from the PF in 2017 is incredible. I blame whoever hired Burton.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app
If anyone some had told me the morning after that game we’d get belted by 48pts in the GF and then not make the finals for 7 years I would’ve had them certified insane. We were on top of the world that night, the crash is unbelievable.

If anyone some had told me the morning after that game we’d get belted by 48pts in the GF and then not make the finals for 7 years I would’ve had them certified insane. We were on top of the world that night, the crash is unbelievable.
Just goes to show how important it is to have the right people in the right places running the club

Not much response, I think I can help.

Carmo after our Eagles win. I think he needs to take at least one step towards absolution.

Haha the pessimists (are we calling them the cartel now?) will be calling their therapists flat out this week. It will be hard for them to cope so all the optimists please be nice. You can see some of the coping efforts already in this thread.

PS It was a nice win but I don't think any of us "happy clappers" will be going out and putting 10G on us for the premiership.

And those that liked his post should consider bowing down too. Wazzy36 Truck25 Numinous jenny61_99 fortunatecrow Matt27 Mostyn Jarmayhem WaynesWorld19

#you’renotatruesupporterg#gosupportport IMG_4229.png
IMG_4228.png

I've been pessimistic on the club's outlook for some time (cf. the "Our Current Rebuild Will Ultimately Fail - Prove Me Wrong" thread which I posted in March 2021) and don't take any real comfort from the fact that our performances are continuing to bear out this prediction.

In spite of that I do believe at its core following a footy team should be an inherently positive and optimistic experience and so I don't bear any ill will to those who choose to take an optimistic bent on things and I certainly don't think they owe anyone with a contrary opinion an apology.

Surely we can all agree that in the current environment - no one wins!
It's kinda a dick move to ask people to apologize to you tho

Seems like the kind of behaviour that immediately precedes a break up.
The two mature posts in this thread

Being optimistic, pessimistic or anything in between is fine (right now I’m deep in the pessimistic camp, myself) - being at each other’s throats and baiting each other is not close to necessary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back