Judas Ablett... attack #1

Remove this Banner Ad

We shall see.

And you are also a tad wrong. He is not untried as a coach at AFL level, he is untried as a senior coach at AFL level.

I acknowledge the distinction between an experienced assistant and a complete clean skin like Vossy or Hirdy, but as far as I know he wasn't ever in a position to be game day coach and is therefore effectively untried at that level. To class him as excellent already is going a little overboard.

As you say, we shall see. Bags not being the first club to play them at home.

I'd like to see what any of the people calling Gaz a 'Judas' would do if they were offered double salary to leave their current jobs for effectively a similar position.

Do you have 40000 peoplemcheer you on at work? ********. You idiots don't understand so just shut the **** up. Judas deserves all the bagging he cops. Can't wait until egg day at KP against the scums. Weak **** will probably twinge a hammy the week before and not turn up. As far as I'm concerned he's an opposition player and I couldn't give a shit about him anymore. **********.

Originally Posted by thurmanmunson
I'd rather have $10 million than the respect of 40,000 people who don't know me. Life is about making money and succeeding. That's what gets you in the clubhouse.

I'm guessing you're from Sydney. :rolleyes:

He lives in the real world.

Love the posts about Gaz losing respect and not being welcome in Geelong. There's a big loss.
To think he could have had gold memberships at Corio's best discos for life! Think of all the annoying hill peoples who won't have the chance to bail him up at the shops and piss in his pocket and tell him stories about his old man?

If Ablett ever comes back to Geelong, he'll be arriving after dark and gone before morning.
(Though I will be watching the first Cats v Suns with interest).

Oh FFS, I love how everyone here can very easily turn that kind of money down.

Can't wait to see Ablett booed by this handbagging bandwagoning lot next year. Handbaggers make me absolutely sick!

Well no, it isn't bullshit in everyone's case.

Walk up to me in an everyday job situation (ie significantly less money and fame then footballers get) and of course id take the double pay.

Call me stupid but the amount Cash Grablett Jnr was making and was set to make at Geelong, plus the marketing opportunites after his career finished as a one club legend would be more than ample pay.

If i was in his position, offer to triple my money- i wouldn't take it.
Sorry Scooty but this is bullshit. Who are you to judge Ablett? I'm guessing you're under 25 with that attitude.

Ablett has a limited career as a footballer- could end tomorrow for all we know or he could go on another 6 - 8 years. He's got to make his money while he can. How many ex footballers do you really see making money from marketing opportunities after they've left the game? People are fickle and quickly forget and a new star is always around the corner. Maybe he doesn't want to be the sad old sportsman travelling about the country, giving motivation lectures and opening shopping centres.

Anyway it's HIS decision and the fact you feel able to judge HIS situation, HIS life and the best option for HIM from behind a computer makes you a sad, arrogant little prick.

You may well dream of being a footballer - a club legend and a one club player - but he's been there and probably in a better informed position to decide. Simple fact is in professional sports the club isn't loyal to their stars so why should the stars be loyal to the club? That's serf mentality.

Anyway it's YOUR opinion and the fact I feel able to judge YOUR situation, YOUR life and the best option for YOU from behind a computer makes me a sad, arrogant little prick.

efa

Seriously, I laugh at blokes on here who are probably on $25k a year, and reckon they'd turn down $5million. Shens.

I've never been offered millions, so its difficult to compare, but I'm presently foregoing a job worth $130K a year plus a car so that I can spend more time with my family and volunteer my time to benefit my local community. Money isn't everything, and those that think it is are the sad types.

Plenty of posters are saying football is a business, but its not, its a religion.

efa

I've never been offered millions, so its difficult to compare, but I'm presently foregoing a job worth $130K a year plus a car so that I can spend more time with my family and volunteer my time to benefit my local community. Money isn't everything, and those that think it is are the sad types.

Plenty of posters are saying football is a business, but its not, its a religion.
You don't get it. I've foregone plenty of better paying opportunities for various reasons- just as you have. Never said money is everything.

You are obviously at a different stage in your life to Ablett and have made a decision you feel is correct for YOU. Someone else might have made the different decision. In fact, if you were given that opportunity 5 or 10 years ago you may have made a different choice yourself.

As you said, 5 million is a big difference to what you've been offered and I'm sure you know deep inside you'd uproot the family for 5 years for an extra 5 million- no point pretending you wouldn't. But even considering your situation- was the offer you've recently foregone DOUBLE what you get now?

Geelong's 2011 No. 1 Ticket holder has just been announced...

90d4d44dc53b04c4a63b016babae65fc.jpg

I'd rather have $10 million than the respect of 40,000 people who don't know me. Life is about making money and succeeding. That's what gets you in the clubhouse.

Attack him all you want. He doesn't give a crap. Nor should he.

This sums up the argument in favour of little Garry. Life is about making money and succeeding. The two are of course one and the same in the minds of many.

Those of us who believe there are things in life more important than an excess of money (Garry would have been well looked after by Geelong) believe he is a selfish little prick.

Those who believe having the most toys when on their deathbed, see him as a good bloke who did what anyone (of us) would do.

I'm glad I fall into the former category but that's just me.

Footballers make good money because we (the fans) buy memberships, watch the footy on TV and buy merchandise. That's where the money comes from, the fans, no one else. Corporates would not be interested in the AFL if it did not have a big following amongst the public.

Little Garry has just turned his back on all his fans, all the little kids with No. 29 on their jumper. He's turned his back on his mates who helped him get to where he is - Ling, Bartell, Selwood, Scarlett etc.

He's a greedy little prick.

Sorry Scooty but this is bullshit. Who are you to judge Ablett? I'm guessing you're under 25 with that attitude.

Ablett has a limited career as a footballer- could end tomorrow for all we know or he could go on another 6 - 8 years. He's got to make his money while he can. How many ex footballers do you really see making money from marketing opportunities after they've left the game? People are fickle and quickly forget and a new star is always around the corner. Maybe he doesn't want to be the sad old sportsman travelling about the country, giving motivation lectures and opening shopping centres.

Anyway it's HIS decision and the fact you feel able to judge HIS situation, HIS life and the best option for HIM from behind a computer makes you a sad, arrogant little prick.

You may well dream of being a footballer - a club legend and a one club player - but he's been there and probably in a better informed position to decide. Simple fact is in professional sports the club isn't loyal to their stars so why should the stars be loyal to the club? That's serf mentality.

Far be it for you to judge anybody on this forum d*ckhead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgive the man for wanting to pursue a different path, earn more money, take on a different challenge, broaden his life experiences, help get an AFL club off the ground, help develop young talent, get some sun on his chrome dome, enjoy new surroundings...the people who piss and moan about Gary leaving Geelong are the greedy little pricks!

You don't get it. I've foregone plenty of better paying opportunities for various reasons- just as you have. Never said money is everything.

You are obviously at a different stage in your life to Ablett and have made a decision you feel is correct for YOU. Someone else might have made the different decision. In fact, if you were given that opportunity 5 or 10 years ago you may have made a different choice yourself.

As you said, 5 million is a big difference to what you've been offered and I'm sure you know deep inside you'd uproot the family for 5 years for an extra 5 million- no point pretending you wouldn't. But even considering your situation- was the offer you've recently foregone DOUBLE what you get now?

A position on $130K would be about 18 times what I get now, but I understand the point you're trying to make. When I had a job that paid the $130K odd, I considered fly-in fly-out employment which would have paid at least double what I was on, but felt the impact on family life wasn't worth it. Each to their own.

If I was in a job paying $5M for a 5 year contract, I couldn't really see the benefit of compromising my whole belief system to chase an extra $5M. There really is only so much money a person needs.

A position on $130K would be about 18 times what I get now, but I understand the point you're trying to make. When I had a job that paid the $130K odd, I considered fly-in fly-out employment which would have paid at least double what I was on, but felt the impact on family life wasn't worth it. Each to their own.

If I was in a job paying $5M for a 5 year contract, I couldn't really see the benefit of compromising my whole belief system to chase an extra $5M. There really is only so much money a person needs.
Absolutely. But each person needs to be given the room to make their own choice about that and not criticised. We don't really know that Ablett has in any way compromised his belief system- just that of his fans and their impression. Footy players in the system a few years probably have a far different perspective about 'loyalty' than the rest of us as they see first hand how the club works internally. He may be happy just to get out of Geelong - we can't say how he deals with the kind of fame he has there.

Absolutely. But each person needs to be given the room to make their own choice about that and not criticised. We don't really know that Ablett has in any way compromised his belief system- just that of his fans and their impression. Footy players in the system a few years probably have a far different perspective about 'loyalty' than the rest of us as they see first hand how the club works internally. He may be happy just to get out of Geelong - we can't say how he deals with the kind of fame he has there.

that's ok
why did his mum beg for money from Geelong

when his dad, great mentor, was in a pub or dark alley

1- This is a football forum mate- why shouldn't people be allowed to have a comment on maybe the biggest name to move clubs in a long time, under such unique circumstances.

2- Ablett has made a shitload of money and would have continued to make a shitload of money whether that was at Geelong or the Gold Coast. Fair enough you call bullshit on an everyday person in an everyday job turning down a 5 million dollar payrise, but ****, isn't getting millions as it is at the cats enough money !?

You can comment all you like about what you would do but quite frankly you have no ****ing idea about me or my personality at all. I am telling you now if i was in the same position as Ablett i would not have gone. End of.

1- This is a football forum mate- why shouldn't people be allowed to have a comment on maybe the biggest name to move clubs in a long time, under such unique circumstances.

2- Ablett has made a shitload of money and would have continued to make a shitload of money whether that was at Geelong or the Gold Coast. Fair enough you call bullshit on an everyday person in an everyday job turning down a 5 million dollar payrise, but ****, isn't getting millions as it is at the cats enough money !?

You can comment all you like about what you would do but quite frankly you have no ****ing idea about me or my personality at all. I am telling you now if i was in the same position as Ablett i would not have gone. End of.

I heard the Dockers are changing their song? Thank **** for that, at least now, we all won't have to put up with that heave-ho crap!

oh and good luck to Gary Ablett at the Suns, I have a new found respect for the man. :D

Fair enough, you may well feel that way now, but you don't really know on a personal level the position Ablett is in now. You have your own impression from media reports and bigfooty gossip.

To say dismissively you wouldn't do it for three times the money seems a little naiive. An extra 10 million over 5 years wouldn't give you pause for thought?

Remove this Banner Ad

Judas Ablett... attack #1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back