Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this proves noone at the AFL actually approves the jumpers and shorts prior to the game. They just let the clubs use what they want so long as white shorts worn by away team

This was an issue in an NRL game between the Sydney Roosters and the North Queensland Cowboys last Sunday. With the jumpers of the Roosters and Cowboys both having dark blue as the main color, visiting club North Queensland wore a mainly white jumper but both teams wore white shorts, which sort of negated the clash jumper. If Sydney had worn dark blue shorts there would have been far greater contrast between the sides.

I think this proves noone at the AFL actually approves the jumpers and shorts prior to the game. They just let the clubs use what they want so long as white shorts worn by away team

Yep, or they have no idea.

Only just tuned in but they are actually lucky it’s a shady game as the GWS jumper is quite neon on TV.

The frustrating thing is GWS have had three kits before including a white one but it’s like they enjoy trolling us with eyesores.

The worst part about the GWS-Hawks game is Hawthorn don't actually clash with many teams, GWS is probably the worst. You would think a sufficient contrast could be achieved but of course the answer is no.

Now, this isn't a hill I'm prepared to die on but it just annoys me.

My view is white shorts should be banned for all clubs who don't have white as one of their colors.

Absolutely agree. It's totally unnecessary.

Fitzroy-Uniform1975Y.png

Of course, but you’ll never convince the supporters of 2 of the worst offenders of this fact.

This was an issue in an NRL game between the Sydney Roosters and the North Queensland Cowboys last Sunday. With the jumpers of the Roosters and Cowboys both having dark blue as the main color, visiting club North Queensland wore a mainly white jumper but both teams wore white shorts, which sort of negated the clash jumper. If Sydney had worn dark blue shorts there would have been far greater contrast between the sides.

You’re trying to implement an AFL ‘thing’ in another sport.

Roosters don’t wear dark blue shorts with their home jersey. It’s like Man Utd wearing red shorts with their main shirt. It just doesn’t happen.

The only NRL teams that may flip shorts in their main strips are souths and manly. Then again, souths are black shorts or white shorts, not the main colour of their jersey which is green.

Yep, or they have no idea.

Only just tuned in but they are actually lucky it’s a shady game as the GWS jumper is quite neon on TV.

The frustrating thing is GWS have had three kits before including a white one but it’s like they enjoy trolling us with eyesores.

Not that it makes it right, but this is probably a game they’re making up their puma contracted quota with the orange away jersey.

Most likely. Clubs need to make up theirs contracted quotas. No better game than one in Hobart at 145pm on a Saturday. Adelaide did the same last week!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you work for a jumper manufacturer?

We don’t care, the threads about clashes not supplier contracts.

Relax mate. I’m providing a reason as to why teams such as Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney over the past two weekends have worn a particular away strip or jersey, even though it is more similar to Hawthorn than any other guernsey in their stable. It’s more than you and some others are doing, just complaining about the same clashes each season for the past 10 years and simply throwing your arms in the air as to why it’s happening.

It’s common for clubs and apparel makers to have quotas on away strips. Think of it like the MCG finals quota. In comps like the premier League, they can spread the quota over their 18 away leagues games + additional cup fixtures, which aren’t similar. It’s more difficult in the AFL with some clubs having away, ‘clash’, heritage, and other one-off guernseys all requiring exposure? So you get the ridiculous examples of the past two weeks where Crows and Giants choose a similar guernsey v Hawthorn to make this up.

In the big boys world, these merch deals are important. A little more than the opinions of a few posters on the jumper clash fails thread on BF!

Relax mate. I’m providing a reason as to why teams such as Adelaide and Greater Western Sydney over the past two weekends have worn a particular away strip or jersey, even though it is more similar to Hawthorn than any other guernsey in their stable. It’s more than you and some others are doing, just complaining about the same clashes each season for the past 10 years and simply throwing your arms in the air as to why it’s happening.

It’s common for clubs and apparel makers to have quotas on away strips. Think of it like the MCG finals quota. In comps like the premier League, they can spread the quota over their 18 away leagues games + additional cup fixtures, which aren’t similar. It’s more difficult in the AFL with some clubs having away, ‘clash’, heritage, and other one-off guernseys all requiring exposure? So you get the ridiculous examples of the past two weeks where Crows and Giants choose a similar guernsey v Hawthorn to make this up.

In the big boys world, these merch deals are important. A little more than the opinions of a few posters on the jumper clash fails thread on BF!
Start a thread about it then. See if anyone at all is interested in discussing the supplier contracts.

Everyone is well aware of the myriad of reasons for these idiotic decisions, thing is, nobody cares and in the big boys world somebody could sit down and work out when clubs could wear their alloted number of games per jumper so that it doesn’t clash with another team couldn’t they?

Start a thread about it then. See if anyone at all is interested in discussing the supplier contracts.

Everyone is well aware of the myriad of reasons for these idiotic decisions, thing is, nobody cares and in the big boys world somebody could sit down and work out when clubs could wear their alloted number of games per jumper so that it doesn’t clash with another team couldn’t they?

This is really working you up. It's relevant to the thread, i.e., jumper fails.

You seem to have the solutions, why are you wasting them here?

This is really working you up. It's relevant to the thread, i.e., jumper fails.

You seem to have the solutions, why are you wasting them here?
Lol, I’m not worked up I’m just not sure why you’re trying to achieve by commenting on two seperate games now saying “oh you fools it’s because of the supplier contracts”.

We know, we don’t care, you’re adding noting to the convo.

You think you’ve come up with this brilliant answer that nobody has thought of but we have and we don’t give a shit.

Their contracts don’t negate the fact it’s a clash.

Seriously, go start a thread about jumper supplier contracts, I’m sure it’ll be a riot.

Lol, I’m not worked up I’m just not sure why you’re trying to achieve by commenting on two seperate games now saying “oh you fools it’s because of the supplier contracts”.

We know, we don’t care, you’re adding noting to the convo.

You think you’ve come up with this brilliant answer that nobody has thought of but we have and we don’t give a shit.

Their contracts don’t negate the fact it’s a clash.

Seriously, go start a thread about jumper supplier contracts, I’m sure it’ll be a riot.

I didn't realise Lord Phantom spoke for the entire BF community. You seem extremely personal and insecure in this entire exchange. At least I hope that's what it is because it would infer some emotional intelligence. Otherwise, I would have to describe you as obtuse. You could have moved along so easily. It seems that reply button was just too strong for your willpower.

I offered a reason as to why Giants or Crows wore the strip they did against Hawthorn. It seems as though you wanted to maintain the vagueness as to why two clubs would each choose their most similar guernsey to Hawthorn in those two games. Don't worry, being informed won't kill the thread.

I didn't realise Lord Phantom spoke for the entire BF community. You seem extremely personal and insecure in this entire exchange. At least I hope that's what it is because it would infer some emotional intelligence. Otherwise, I would have to describe you as obtuse. You could have moved along so easily. It seems that reply button was just too strong for your willpower.

I offered a reason as to why Giants or Crows wore the strip they did against Hawthorn. It seems as though you wanted to maintain the vagueness as to why two clubs would each choose their most similar guernsey to Hawthorn in those two games. Don't worry, being informed won't kill the thread.
Lol, yes nobody had ever heard of apparrel contracts before you.
Also it’s not an explanation because the clubs and afl could plan for it ahead of time couldn’t they.

Reading your post, it did come across to me that you almost favoured the finances more so than ensuring contrasting kits. Maybe you needed to be a little stronger in your condemnation of the currents deals. Sure they may be a reason, but its not a good one, and they need to be renegotiated under much stronger guidence from the league.

Tonight’s game however…..
Yeah, as I’ve stated earlier I think we should wear red shorts as the home team which is acceptable if Carlton wear their traditional strip.

Ideal would be Carlton in white jumper and Essendon in black shorts, but red shorts and normal Carlton jumper is still acceptable if not perfect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back