Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, as I’ve stated earlier I think we should wear red shorts as the home team which is acceptable if Carlton wear their traditional strip.

Ideal would be Carlton in white jumper and Essendon in black shorts, but red shorts and normal Carlton jumper is still acceptable if not perfect.
Yknow Whats perfect? Carlton in their white with white shorts. Like they do against Port. And Freo.

Carlton steadfastly refuse to wear a clash strip in "Big 4" clashes against Collingwood, Essendon or Richmond. This goes back to the John Elliott days.
Carlton shouldn't be able to refuse.

The AFL should have the guts to tell them to wear clash.

Both the AFL and Carlton are so frustrating amateur

Carlton shouldn't be able to refuse.

The AFL should have the guts to tell them to wear clash.

Both the AFL and Carlton are so frustrating amateur
Yep the AFL should tell them to wear their clash or sort something acceptable with Essendon (a la the Collingwood deal that Eddie kept promising but never eventuated). If they don't do either then fine them and keep upping the fine each time until they comply even if it means stripping them of premiership points.

Same with North and white shorts.
Ditto.

Yep the AFL should tell them to wear their clash or sort something acceptable with Essendon (a la the Collingwood deal that Eddie kept promising but never eventuated). If they don't do either then fine them and keep upping the fine each time until they comply even if it means stripping them of premiership points.

Ditto.
It shouldn't even be a fine. If they refuse to wear the clash strip after being asked by the AFL it should be an automatic forfeit.

Reading your post, it did come across to me that you almost favoured the finances more so than ensuring contrasting kits. Maybe you needed to be a little stronger in your condemnation of the currents deals. Sure they may be a reason, but its not a good one, and they need to be renegotiated under much stronger guidence from the league.
Not that it makes it right, but this is probably a game they’re making up their puma contracted quota with the orange away jersey.
Most likely. Clubs need to make up theirs contracted quotas. No better game than one in Hobart at 145pm on a Saturday. Adelaide did the same last week!

No way. I'm only suggesting the reason for clashes in these two games. The poster didn't appear to know based on their contributions that I replied to. And I actually wrote that it doesn't make it right. Check out the original posts where I brought it up! The point was, if a club has contracted with their supplier to wear a particular guernsey a set number of times a year, then they have to otherwise they're in breach. That's how contracts work. So what do you think a club is going to do in this case? Be concerned about responses in our thread, or avoid a breach of contract? A club and CEO are concerned about their reputation and fulfilling their contracted obligations.

The comment about "no better game" was in reference to the AFL most likely not giving as much of a shit about a game at 145pm on a saturday arvo, as they would in prime time. It's happened two weeks in a row with the same home team, and in both instances has led to an embarrassing presentation of the games. If it's a choice between incurring a clash, or making a club breach a contract, I'm sure the AFL will go for the former. It doesn't want clubs to suffer financially, or create a poor negotiating environment in future for clubs due to bad reputation.

A lot of this thread is based on the AFL and clubs operating in a vacuum. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Carlton not wearing their clash was ridiculous and made it horrible viewing. Honestly don’t understand the logic in wearing it when there is a perfectly good clash jumper?

Just dumb arrogance by either Carlton or the league (or both?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stuff the shorts, why don't they have a predominantly red jumper? They used this in 2015, for instance.

View attachment 2016127

They don’t need one, the light blue is a great clash option, works against everyone, except maybe Sydney or Gold Coast and that jumper isn’t helping there.

Was at game with a couple Blues fans who were perplexed as to why they would not be wearing white jumper.

Even today, there is no need for Melbourne to wear white shorts, other than a loosely adhered to age old tradition.

Are they recent converts? If they were Blues fans, they'd know very well why they're not wearing a white guernsey.

The Dees in white shorts.

White is one of Collingwood's colors. White is not one of Melbourne's colors.

Why aren't they in blue shorts?
I would assume given its a clash colour, they dont have Royal blue shorts

This was the exact same match up last Friday night when Bulldogs were the away team white shorts with their royal blue jumper very similar to Melbourne’s royal blue clash jumper.
Both Melbourne and Bulldogs maybe should wear red shorts in this instance?

This was the exact same match up last Friday night when Bulldogs were the away team white shorts with their royal blue jumper very similar to Melbourne’s royal blue clash jumper.
Both Melbourne and Bulldogs maybe should wear red shorts in this instance?

Lighter shade of blue may as well be white. Especially since it is a club colour.

I'd like to see them trot out the navy once in a while vs teams like North or Hawthorn (both fellow 1925 entrees)
He meant our normal royal blue is a lighter shade of blue than Carlton’s. And that we could wear that blue, our traditional jumper as the home team but with white shorts that helps wth a clash against Carlton. I actually think we could do this against Melbourne too. I personally think Bulldogs are one of the only clubs that look better in their white shorts. And it’s no surprise to me that the NRL roosters (similar jumper to ours) always wear white shorts with their home jumper.
I reckon the traditional home black shorts look epic too with royal blue jumper ala Ted Whitten.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back