Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

This. Club’s should be able to wear whatever they want at home. North’s royal shorts or Geelong’s navy shorts or Port’s white panel are not and have never been the issue.

The issue is that clubs do not have alternate uniforms that are distinct enough from their home kits. Every club NEEDS a 3rd kit in a predominantly non-club colour in order to resolve these inevitable clashes.

Yes that means Collingwood in pink, Carlton in green etc. That is the fix. Accept it or persevere with the stupidity.
Collingwood latest kits have really blurred the lines with the widening of the white stripes virtually eliminating the black sides on many jumpers and making the home kit almost a white based jumper with black stripes and number panel.

Collingwood should have been in black shorts regardless of the short colour North Melbourne were in. The white shorts made the situation worse.

The AFL have clearly given up with the amount of clubs not wearing their clash kits in matches where they used to probably because the AFL kept letting certain clubs get away with it.

North should probably have worn white shorts but Collingwood not wearing black shorts was a much bigger issue.

As to Hawthorn and gold short, really not necessary as the gold jumper is powerful that the shorts really don't matter, they just need a brown clash jumper to pair them with (not an away jumper as that just causes more issues)

Hawthorn should be Gold Top, Brown Shorts Home and Away and Brown Top, Brown Shorts where their is a clash (and their really is no situation were this would be necessary except maybe GWS) Gold shorts might be helpful away vs Adelaide and that's about it.

North Melbourne should be White Top, Royal Blue Shorts at Home against most sides and White Top, White Shorts Home and Away vs Bulldogs and Collingwood and Home vs Geelong (would would then wear a Navy Top, With Navy Shorts) Away vs Geelong they need a Blue Top and Shorts and Geelong would wear White Top, White Shorts.

Essendon should wear red shorts with their clash jumper.

Bulldogs should wear their White kit way more often.

Last edited:
We could wear red shorts permanently against Roos and I reckon that would work well?
And I would have the bulldogs wear white shorts permanently against Carlton and Melbourne. White shorts look fine on bulldogs uniform but can create confusion against lighter uniforms.
If the Bulldogs had a full red kit to wear against North that'd probably be the best but the full blue would be fine. If you had white shorts with the blue top though... ooft

This. Club’s should be able to wear whatever they want at home. North’s royal shorts or Geelong’s navy shorts or Port’s white panel are not and have never been the issue.

The issue is that clubs do not have alternate uniforms that are distinct enough from their home kits. Every club NEEDS a 3rd kit in a predominantly non-club colour in order to resolve these inevitable clashes.

Yes that means Collingwood in pink, Carlton in green etc. That is the fix. Accept it or persevere with the stupidity.
The AFL just need to enforce the rules. If there is a clash, you tell the clubs to sort it out, or the league sorts it out.
That means every blues vs pies game pies wear their white strip with white shorts.
Bombers vs tigers - force an alternate strip. Tigers don't mind the yellow strip. But essendon lean on "tradition" in every game vs Richmond to avoid a clash jumper

The AFL just need to enforce the rules. If there is a clash, you tell the clubs to sort it out, or the league sorts it out.
That means every blues vs pies game pies wear their white strip with white shorts.
Bombers vs tigers - force an alternate strip. Tigers don't mind the yellow strip. But essendon lean on "tradition" in every game vs Richmond to avoid a clash jumper
Last time Richmond played a home game v Essendon (excluding Dreamtime) was 2018 and they wore Red.

We don’t need special rules for certain match ups, it just adds unnecessary inconsistency. If Collingwood want to wear black against Carlton or anyone else at home that should be their right. It’s incumbent on the away team to find a solution.

Problem is half the league are predominantly black/various blues with another cluster of red teams. There isn’t much variety so clashes are inevitable when everyone stubbornly clings to their own colours for their clash kits.

Kits in non-club colours is the professional solution and it solves every single problem fairly.

We don’t need special rules for certain match ups, it just adds unnecessary inconsistency. If Collingwood want to wear black against Carlton or anyone else at home that should be their right. It’s incumbent on the away team to find a solution.

Problem is half the league are predominantly black/various blues with another cluster of red teams. There isn’t much variety so clashes are inevitable when everyone stubbornly clings to their own colours for their clash kits.

Kits in non-club colours is the professional solution and it solves every single problem fairly.
I haven't sat down to properly work it out but I can't think of a team that couldn't just invert their jumper colours when up against a team that share a colour with them. Like Richmond's clash for example

I haven't sat down to properly work it out but I can't think of a team that couldn't just invert their jumper colours when up against a team that share a colour with them. Like Richmond's clash for example

Carn we just had the classic North vs Collingwood jumper clash reprise this thread!

Carn we just had the classic North vs Collingwood jumper clash reprise this thread!
Which again.... Would be fine if pies were in black shorts

Light v dark

The bigger issue is not north wearing white shorts - but that no one else should ever wear white shorts when they play them (or Geelong).

Which again.... Would be fine if pies were in black shorts

Light v dark

The bigger issue is not north wearing white shorts - but that no one else should ever wear white shorts when they play them (or Geelong).

It’s bush league we don’t have enough money to avoid this fine. It’s not pro sport fine.

Would have mostly fixed yesterday's North and Pies problem...

There's a consensus that North in Blue and Pies in black shorts would've been sufficient.

One thing most folks agree on is white shorts away should be consigned to history.

But we need to acknowledge the heritage of Australian Football, and the differences that exist with football strips here in comparison to other sports around the world.

In the AFL, there are a large number of clubs with black, navy or white in their club colours.

Clubs in this League also have multiple colours in their guernseys, or designs that are different from the front and the back of the guernsey, and this gives the impression of three or sometimes four different teams on one field when strips are viewed from different angles. Our club is somehwat guilty of this, but is a very distinctive strip in the League overall so it can largely get away with it. But Port Adelaide v Adelaide is one fixture that comes to mind that looks like shith, and there are several others.

I agree with many here who argue that club away strips need to be sufficiently different to their home strips. Why do the Giants have an away strip that is still predominantly orange? It's probably a good idea to make them simpler than the home strip. For example, Adelaide's away strip this season is still akin to Joseph's technocolour dreamcoat, and makes clashes worse. 🤦‍♂️

I still believe that clubs can largely make the away guernseys from their club colours. It is common OS to use white, or yellow as a base for away strips. I like white as you won't look back on it in a replay in a decade and wonder who the **** it is, because you can still add your club colours to it.

Ultimately, the AFL need to get a handle on it all first. It seems as though they've gone back 30 years in their approach.

Last edited:
I dont think our combo of blue and red/maroon inverts very well against a few clubs. Its still mostly dark and could have issues against a few teams like Adelaide. I dont think us wearing the red with white shorts in Melbourne games is the best option. Personally think we would more often be better to go a full white strip or go the yellow with the bears maroon V's or B's as an alternative.

Just a random thought...

If a club, let's use Carlton as an example, surveyed its members, asking them would you prefer us to wear our white strip in away games against Essenson and Richmond?

What percentage of their members do you think would say yes?

And do you think the yes vote would be a lot higher from the younger voters?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a random thought...

If a club, let's use Carlton as an example, surveyed its members, asking them would you prefer us to wear our white strip in away games against Essenson and Richmond?

I think you’re average supporter doesn’t really care and would probably prefer the best spectacle.

There will be the minority of traditionalists that want them to always wear navy and the minority of people (like us in this thread) who really care that they wear white.

Clash kits should be designed by opposition fans where clubs can't/won't figure it out themselves...
Just about every club has a suitable Home / Clash jumper, things would work if a few simple things happened.

• GWS Home - change back to charcoal
  • Crows Clash - dominant yellow, red or white based (current one is not suitable)
  • Away teams - actually WEAR clash when needed (ie Carlton away v Pies) - no Big4 exceptions
  • No team wears white shorts v white teams (Geelong, North, Sydney)
- White shorts should be worn AWAY only to INCREASE contrast, and never if it increases the CLASH

North & Cats actually get to wear their Home jumper when Away v all teams bar (except each other)

IF a club wears white shorts in a Cats or North match - it should be Cats or North - Home or Away. But in most North games, its not needed (example where it is is v Bulldogs).

Maybe the only way to bring about some change is to stage an A-League style crowd protest.

For example, during the Round 1 opener next year, the away team's fans co-ordinate to fill the aisles and hold a mass walk out at say the 10min mark of the second term.

And drape a few large banners over the empty seats with slogans like "Once in light gear, we'll come back and cheer."

Would bring all sorts of unwanted publicity and might just be the giant kick up the arse the league needs to sort it out.

Sadly, I dont think the majority of fans care about it enough to do anything like that.

Last edited:
We need Carlton to be away to Collingwood in grand final, close game and last play of the game when scores level is a carlton player accidentally passing it to a pies player who goes on to kick winning score and he says on record “i thought it was my teammate”

Until then, this thread will allow us all to vent til we die

We need Carlton to be away to Collingwood in grand final, close game and last play of the game when scores level is a carlton player accidentally passing it to a pies player who goes on to kick winning score and he says on record “i thought it was my teammate”

Until then, this thread will allow us all to vent til we die
Please, keep going.

Just a random thought...

You don’t even need to ask them because you just know, 2 mins into a game, the naysayers wouldn’t give two shits and would have forgotten all about it.

These clash jumpers have been around for decades now and people are well used to them.

I could almost understand the debate if they actually didn’t exist and it was about introducing them.

But it’s just about wearing them when they’re supposed to.

People are over it - they’ve accepted them long ago.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again.

We need a soccer style system.

Each team nominates a home kit.

Eg North in traditional strip with blue shorts, Port in Prison Bars with white shorts.

Teams then need to design an away kit and a third kit. No home kits to be worn in away games, ever.

Last edited:
I'll say it once, and I'll say it again.

We need a soccer style system.

Each team nominates a home kit.

Eg North in traditional strip with blue shorts, Port in Prison Bars with white shorts.

Teams then need to design an away kit and a third kit. No home kits to be worn in away games, ever.

Not actually how most soccer leagues work. Most have clash kits, not away kits as such. The wear home kits in away games when they can

1718852365988.jpeg

The difference is, they wear them whenever needed.

Not actually how most soccer leagues work. Most have clash kits, not away kits as such. The wear home kits in away games when they can

View attachment 2024640

The difference is, they wear them whenever needed.
Exactly. And the FA / EFL come down hard on those who don't comply.

But I believe (from memory) there's a minimum amount of games required to wear each kit.

Such a system would definitely force clubs to be more compliant and creative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back