Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

The response was overwhelmingly positive when we bought back this clash, especially compared to the way the white kits were perceived.
There's no issue with this particular jumper, just it doesn't work against red teams. No reason they couldn't have a yellow/white third jumper.

There's no issue with this particular jumper, just it doesn't work against red teams. No reason they couldn't have a yellow/white third jumper.
Disagree - a clash jumper that is a third dark (navy), a third light (yellow), and third medium (red) is always gonna cause problems, even if it "looks good".

One of the reasons I never liked the eagles tri panel - dark on one side, light on the other - then white to clash with teams with shorts.

Haven't they previously used a predominantly yellow jumper with red and blue hoops (i.e. same as their home jumper, but with a yellow rather than blue base)? That one looked fine, and did its job of avoiding a clash.

I agree, but I will ad another solution as I think white is boring. I would suggest they could do what melbourne do and have a royal blue instead of navy blue.

View attachment 2052513View attachment 2052516
The blue isn't quite right but you get my point.

The blue you've pictured is far more acceptable than the blue you've described. Dees royal blue jumper is another one I think should never have been ticked off. Has to be Sky blue to be effective.

Was there tonight. Genuine clash.

The side view is often overlooked but is important. It’s what we often see as we watch from the wing and play goes from one end to the other.

Tonight was red and black versus red and navy.

1721397971691.jpeg

In general this is a shit of a jumper - it creates issues and clashes.

It doesn’t pass the peripheral view test, which is what is important. It’s just a mess of red and navy. White shorts don’t help, Essendon has white numbers.

A couple of times players from both sides handballed directly to the opposition and there’s no doubt it was this peripheral vision issue. On the edges of your vision they just blend together, particularly against the fence and the crowd. You need one team in a light colour.

It’s a shocker. Adelaide need a white kit. FWIW I think Essendon should have one too.

Was there tonight. Genuine clash.

The side view is often overlooked but is important. It’s what we often see as we watch from the wing and play goes from one end to the other.

Tonight was red and black versus red and navy.

View attachment 2052895

In general this is a shit of a jumper - it creates issues and clashes.

It doesn’t pass the peripheral view test, which is what is important. It’s just a mess of red and navy. White shorts don’t help, Essendon has white numbers.

A couple of times players from both sides handballed directly to the opposition and there’s no doubt it was this peripheral vision issue. On the edges of your vision they just blend together, particularly against the fence and the crowd. You need one team in a light colour.

It’s a shocker. Adelaide need a white kit. FWIW I think Essendon should have one too.

Gws and an old eagles strip look completely different, dark or light, when viewed from either side

No. Carlton wear their home guernsey, not a seasonal abomination that is supposed to differentiate them from Essendon.

Adelaide wore this guernsey v hawthorn in Tassie earlier this season, and made the fixture worse than if they wore their home
Carlton dont bother with a clash jumper when away to Essendon, thinking white shorts does the trick.

Adelaide just did the same.
The AFL approving it is ridiculous.
Yep.

Need a proper clash kit policy.

White shorts when away, should be put in the bin. It aint local footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why we got rid of the yellow strip, I never know - I really liked it and it was effective against most teams

I like the strip we played in last night in isolation, I guess it has nostalgic properties to it, but as our main clash it was always going to be ineffective against a number of teams and last night was one of them

Carlton dont bother with a clash jumper when away to Essendon, thinking white shorts does the trick.

Adelaide just did the same.

Yep.

Need a proper clash kit policy.

White shorts when away, should be put in the bin. It aint local footy
Essendon and Carlton are the same club.

Carlton in their home guernsey isn’t great, and they should be in the away strip, but it’s a guernsey they’ve worn in the fixture for years, it’s a solid colour/design, and you know what you’re get.

Adelaide’s alternate is a mish mash of similar colours to Essendon. They and their apparel partner have produced a guernsey that worsens the presentation in several fixtures.

They have a stable of 5 or so guernseys this season, and they can’t avoid similarities to all other 17 clubs with them.

Carlton vs Essendon is fine. One club has a great big sash of red across their bodies and only one team has any significant white (their shorts). I've been to this game 1000 times and never had an issue.

The big problem last night was Adelaide having Navy with a big splash of red, playing against Essendon in black with a big splash of red.

When they play against Essendon, Adelaide need to have a jumper that removes either the Navy or the Red completely. Even their main clash strip - predominantly navy with a yellow crow outline - would be far better and make for a completely fine match against Essendon.

TBH though most teams should have a standard home strip, fancy pants away strip (for marketing) and a white strip that they can wear when its clearly the best option.

Even their main clash strip - predominantly navy with a yellow crow outline - would be far better and make for a completely fine match against Essendon.

1721452596697.png

Do you mean this one? NO. Just No. I'm not sure where you get the idea that navy blue & black provide good differentiation. You say Ess v Carl is fine - it would be so, so much better with Ess in red or Carl in white. Ess's red sash is simply not prominent enough from a distance.

If it's a Sydney v Brisbane GF, with the Swans as the higher ranked team, would we see the teams in the kits they are wearing today, or would we see the Swans with red backs and the Lions in yellow?

If it's a Sydney v Brisbane GF, with the Swans as the higher ranked team, would we see the teams in the kits they are wearing today, or would we see the Swans with red backs and the Lions in yellow?
Both teams would likely wear their full home kits, they have as recently as a game in 2022 at the SCG. When we play Sydney in away games we usually wear our home kit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back