Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

I was expecting that to be way worse if I’m honest.

Unless you’re actively looking for a problem, don’t think tonight clashed at all.
Agree with the first part, I thought it would be worse but don’t agree with the second part and again, why in the name of god would Carlton just wear the white?

It’s simple really. Put them in the strip with the greatest possible contrast. Funnily enough, that’s what they do at training match sim and what’s they do with their VFL teams. For both players and spectators it’s the far superior option - the game can move at great speed and it makes a huge difference on a big field when you’re relying on peripheral vision in terms of players down the ground.

It’s not so much an issue on TV as there’s no peripheral vision involved, but it looks better anyway.

Carlton should’ve been in all white.

I was expecting that to be way worse if I’m honest.

Unless you’re actively looking for a problem, don’t think tonight clashed at all.
The problem is that the white guernseys would have without question made it better.

For a club like Carlton which has a pretty perfect clash ready-made (white, or any colour really with the monogram) but just has a few issues with not wearing it as often as they should, I'd be in favour of a rule being implemented where the clash is the default away strip, unless it will make the clash worse than the regular home strip (e.g. against Geelong or Sydney).

I suspect part of the problem with games like yesterday is sponsorship. Many clubs have different sponsors on home vs clash jumpers, or at least they swap the front and back sponsors like Carlton do (Hyundai and Great Southern Bank). They sell these sponsorships based on how many games they’ll be worn in, so when North switch from their home strip (which wouldve been mostly white) to a blue strip, Carlton can’t always just switch too because of sponsors.

And yes, they can get another set of jumpers made (ie a clash set with home sponsors) but that takes a surprisingly long time between design, approval (sponsors might not be happy with how visible they are on a different colour jumper), and production in China off a new template (samples, adjustments then final).

Of course all these things can be avoided through proper planning and communication, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that just doesn’t happen.

So I have a little sympathy for when clubs switch right up in fancy dress like North did yesterday, going from white to blue.

Also on North, not because of yesterday because they were the home club, but just in general, they’re often criticised because they don’t have a clash jumper.

Quite strange they don’t just use this, was their jumper when they joined the VFL and the last one they wore before settling in the current stripes. It is literally a North jumper and it’s perfect. All blue with blue shorts, and their home strip is white with white shorts.

1680948507882.gif

Bizarre they don’t use it.

I suspect part of the problem with games like yesterday is sponsorship. Many clubs have different sponsors on home vs clash jumpers, or at least they swap the front and back sponsors like Carlton do (Hyundai and Great Southern Bank). They sell these sponsorships based on how many games they’ll be worn in, so when North switch from their home strip (which wouldve been mostly white) to a blue strip, Carlton can’t always just switch too because of sponsors.

And yes, they can get another set of jumpers made (ie a clash set with home sponsors) but that takes a surprisingly long time between design, approval (sponsors might not be happy with how visible they are on a different colour jumper), and production in China off a new template (samples, adjustments then final).

Of course all these things can be avoided through proper planning and communication, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that just doesn’t happen.

So I have a little sympathy for when clubs switch right up in fancy dress like North did yesterday, going from white to blue.
Many teams, including Carlton, already have a home sponsors, and away sponsors version of their home jumper:

Round 2 vs Geelong at home:
6F9CAA60-4712-43A9-BFBC-F86F6842CD47.jpeg
Round 3 vs GWS away (they also wore this on Friday):
4116C2F0-3EA7-43CC-8A6C-94A1C5E09B2D.jpeg

Note the Hyundai logo on front for home games and great southern bank on front for away.

Many teams, including Carlton, already have a home sponsors, and away sponsors version of their home jumper:

Round 2 vs Geelong at home:
View attachment 1654489
Round 3 vs GWS away (they also wore this on Friday):
View attachment 1654490

Note the Hyundai logo on front for home games and great southern bank on front for away.

Yeah it's a decent theory, but something that I'm struggling to believe couldn't be thrashed out over the off-season to come to an arrangement that works for everyone.

Yeah it's a decent theory, but something that I'm struggling to believe couldn't be thrashed out over the off-season to come to an arrangement that works for everyone.
I was saying the theory doesn’t work, the clash jumper has the same sponsors as the away sponsors jumper, meaning they could easily switch last minute to the white kit without upsetting the sponsors.

I was saying the theory doesn’t work, the clash jumper has the same sponsors as the away sponsors jumper, meaning they could easily switch last minute to the white kit without upsetting the sponsors.

Yep, I was agreeing with you.

There may be a few issues where a sponsor prefers their logo on one guernsey or the other, but I find it hard to believe they couldn't be resolved.

If Melbourne want to wear the light blue yoke as its main clash(which btw, doesn't work well at all), then they need another clash uniform for WB and the Eagles.

Melbourne-Red-2017.gif

Would probably do the job with red shorts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous. Melbourne need a clash strip.

Also need a proper clash policy, this league is stuck in the stone age though pandering to tradition over common sense

If Melbourne want to wear the light blue yoke as its main clash(which btw, doesn't work well at all), then they need another clash uniform for WB and the Eagles.

Melbourne-Red-2017.gif

Would probably do the job with red shorts
just a straight inverse would be better. melbourne-3-kits.png

I was watching the Richmond-Bulldogs game for a bit on Saturday.

And even though there wasn't much of clash. What I noticed in regards to Richmond was that when the camera was in close, the Yellow stood out, but on the long, wide shots, it is ALOT less noticable.

I'd hate watching a Richmond home vs Carlton/Essendon away game in the nosebleeds. As dark with yellow (sash) vs dark with white (shorts) would make it a nightmare from afar (ie. Back of the grand stands)

And then today you unexpectedly get this. Beautiful. Amazing. Perfect

Hawks could have so easily been in white shorts and geelong blue.
But they get it 100% correct

How?
I think that’s due to Hawthorn’s long enduring policy of never wanting to wear white. I remember back in the 90s everyone would wear them away except for Hawthorn and Sydney and not sure why that was accepted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back