Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Contrasting Colour is the solution. Not white shorts. Dark vs light is a red herring. It's only relevant in a few distinct circumstances (games involving Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong and North Melbourne and perhaps Freo)

All the clubs have access to these colours as club colours:

1720660922343.png

People have been so brainwashed by 'light vs dark'. The most striking and visually pleasing matches are with teams who have contrasting colours:

1720661961336.png 1720662091447.png 1720661684064.png 1720661386677.png 1720661551245.png

Even in some of these examples where one team is wearing white shorts, they're not assisting in any way and arguably making the contrast weaker very often. It's colours that make the contrast. Every club (except the black/navy blue and white clubs) have access to strong bright colours in their signature branding.

Blue and orange are opposite sides of the colour wheel. This leads to an absolutely beautiful contrast:

1720663734004.png 1720663751991.png

GWS wearing white shorts is doing absolutely nothing to assist in creating a contrast and in fact is actually making it worse.

Compare this below:

1720664165766.png

GWS' "charcoal" coloured shorts now makes the contrast even better. Contrasting colours is the solution. Light vs dark = red herring.

Nice contrast. It must be the white shorts causing that.

Or is it!?!

Ok I think I've made my point.
A very well made point.

White shorts when away is a redundant concept that made sense back in VFL era when it was a suburban game, players weren't professional, there was no money in the game, clubs all played on sat arvo, to watch the game you had to go to the suburban stadium, there was no TV broadcast deals and nobody watching on TV.

White shorts are the biggest reason why jumper clashes exist, as they do absolutely nothing to solve a jumper clash.

Need full alternate kits that contrast, most clubs are finally getting there. Tis just a few stubborn ones that refuse to use them for ALL games.

An excellent point at that, one of the better posts I've ever read on this site.

Also why I wish Freo went back to using their more vibrant purple rather than being almost navy blue.

As an aside, the current freo jumpers are very bland. They look like they were chosen from a catalog.

As an aside, the current freo jumpers are very bland. They look like they were chosen from a catalog.
Agreed, but also previous Guernsey was extremely busy.

I'd be all for their original purple starlight design, purple with the white anchor and then subtly the collar and sleeve trim are Port and Starboard colours.

Why not blue shorts?
I think it looks better as a more solid colour going from blue to red to red rather than blue-red-blue.

Buy realistically it should depend on who playing against. Against black or white teams more red works. Against an orange/yellow/red team then more blue works.

I've also stated a few times I think we should embrace the bears more yellow colours sometimes to provide a better contrast

I think it looks better as a more solid colour going from blue to red to red rather than blue-red-blue.

Buy realistically it should depend on who playing against. Against black or white teams more red works. Against an orange/yellow/red team then more blue works.

I've also stated a few times I think we should embrace the bears more yellow colours sometimes to provide a better contrast
We should wear our bears gold/maroon clash jumper for all away fixtures outside Victoria. So against Gold Coast, Sydney, GWS, Adelaide, Port, Freo and West Coast. I'd even suggest wearing it with Maroon shorts. The jumper should provide enough contrast.

Collingwood do our bit, when away to ALL dark teams we bring out the white kit, whether it be Essendon, Carlton, Freo, Adelaide etc. But some clubs (Carlton) decide to play in white against Freo and Adelaide, but then not against Essendon.

That is what we should do. Note teams have a preferred full kit. They should wear it home and away if no clash.

I would prefer Richmond to wear the yellow kit, Essendon the red kit etc. As it would be easier to tell teams apart, which should be the priority.

Para 1 - That's why I listed COL v CAR, as in COL at home.

Para 3 - What if the MAJORITY of clubs wore away/clash strips away to COL? The black/navy clubs and the white clubs? Would that wear thin after a few seasons? In a European football type of approach, I reckon the only teams that would be allowed to wear their home guernsey when visiting COL would be GC, SYD, WB, and HAW. AFL need to be more hard ball on COL's (and PA's) home guernsey.

Collingwood's home kit against fully white kits, doesn't clash at all. Not sure where this narrative has come from

COL's guernsey is predominantly white at the front. This is has been a common observation from many football fans. Not much different to PA's white number panel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Para 1 - That's why I listed COL v CAR, as in COL at home.

Para 3 - What if the MAJORITY of clubs wore away/clash strips away to COL? The black/navy clubs and the white clubs? Would that wear thin after a few seasons? In a European football type of approach, I reckon the only teams that would be allowed to wear their home guernsey when visiting COL would be GC, SYD, WB, and HAW. AFL need to be more hard ball on COL's (and PA's) home guernsey.
GC, GWS, HW, NM, SYD, WC, WB there is no issue in them wearing full preferred kit (including coloured shorts) against Pies in our current preferred black kit.

BL and Melb, revert to the lighter Fitz and Royal Blue kits (again with coloured shorts) and also no issue...and they are traditional jumpers that fans know as "home kits" get.

Geel in white, I dont see as that big a clash anyway.

So leave 7 clubs

Ade, Ess, Rich, Saints all have strong colour based alternates which wont clash at all and are easily identifiable as the respective clubs.

Freo and Port have previously used colour based away strips - green and teal - so again no problem in a non white clash.

And Carlton have gone yellow, baby blue and are now introducing orange...as long as they have the CFC logo they identify as Carlton.

It really is a non-issue.

AFL just needs to get clubs to have a minimum of three kits (they make more with all the gimmick jumpers anyway).

Preferred kit
Alternate kit
Clash kit

And the AFL decides which you will wear, and lets EVERYONE know, when releasing the fixture.

GC, GWS, HW, NM, SYD, WC, WB there is no issue in them wearing full preferred kit (including coloured shorts) against Pies in our current preferred black kit.

BL and Melb, revert to the lighter Fitz and Royal Blue kits (again with coloured shorts) and also no issue...and they are traditional jumpers that fans know as "home kits" get.

So leave 7 clubs

Ade, Ess, Rich, Saints all have strong colour based alternates which wont clash at all and are easily identifiable as the respective clubs.

Freo and Port have previously used colour based away strips - green and teal - so again no problem in a non white clash.

And Carlton have gone yellow, baby blue and are now introducing orange...as long as they have the CFC logo they identify as Carlton.

AFL just needs to get clubs to have a minimum of three kits (they make more with all the gimmick jumpers anyway).

Preferred kit
Alternate kit
Clash kit

And the AFL decides which you will wear, and lets EVERYONE know, when releasing the fixture.

They also should coordinate the indigenous kits before the start of the season because there’s been some disastrous colour clashes over the years during the Doug Nichols round

They also should coordinate the indigenous kits before the start of the season because there’s been some disastrous colour clashes over the years during the Doug Nichols round
I'm convinced that some of these kits and match ups are known well before the fixture is released. Not to mention the designs have to go past AFL house first.

So leave 7 clubs

Preferred kit
Alternate kit
Clash kit

If I was in charge, NM & Geel wouldnt be able to wear preferred kits away to Collingwood. Way too much white going on at the stoppages, front on. NM can go solid royal blue, and the Cats really need a third kit for this one, as solid Navy wouldn't achieve much either. Maybe a light green or yellow base with hoops of a lighter shade - something still very Geelongish.

Contrasting Colour is the solution. Not white shorts. Dark vs light is a red herring. It's only relevant in a few distinct circumstances (games involving Carlton, Collingwood, Geelong and North Melbourne and perhaps Freo)

View attachment 2044985

People have been so brainwashed by 'light vs dark'. The most striking and visually pleasing matches are with teams who have contrasting colours:

View attachment 2044993View attachment 2044998View attachment 2044991View attachment 2044987 View attachment 2044990

Even in some of these examples where one team is wearing white shorts, they're not assisting in any way and arguably making the contrast weaker very often. It's colours that make the contrast. Every club (except the black/navy blue and white clubs) have access to strong bright colours in their signature branding.
Colourless shorts do look weaker.

So leave 7 clubs

Preferred kit
Alternate kit
Clash kit

Yep, didn't write SYD or WCE which pass as well away v COL.

The jury is still out in COL v GEE. I'm sure there will be more than a few posts in here tonight regarding the fixture. Likewise COL v NM. It's the white stripes/hoops in the guernseys which makes these fixtures a bit of an eyesore, particularly with the COL guernsey being predominantly white from the front with the broad stripes.

It's great as a Sydney supporter, we get to see all but a couple of clubs play at the SCG in their home uniforms, and it's aesthetically good on the eye. That's not the case in COL or PA matches in particular.

View attachment 2044985

View attachment 2044993View attachment 2044998View attachment 2044991View attachment 2044987 View attachment 2044990

I completely agree, I hate white being the default clash strip. I also think there is nothing wrong going for non traditional colours for alternative strip. For example I think port should go for a predominantly teal guernsey as their clash strip rather than white or freo have their original 90s green guernsey no other team wears green (except tassie when they come in)
images (55).jpeg
Maybe this with green shorts for an example.

I completely agree, I hate white being the default clash strip. I also think there is nothing wrong going for non traditional colours for alternative strip. For example I think port should go for a predominantly teal guernsey as their clash strip rather than white or freo have their original 90s green guernsey no other team wears green (except tassie when they come in)
View attachment 2045875
Maybe this with green shorts for an example.

I like the idea of green for Freo. But you'd probably want it to be a lighter Sydney Thunder type green as that green pictured offers little contrast with darker home jumpers.

The jury is still out in COL v GEE. I'm sure there will be more than a few posts in here tonight regarding the fixture. Likewise COL v NM. It's the white stripes/hoops in the guernseys which makes these fixtures a bit of an eyesore, particularly with the COL guernsey being predominantly white from the front with the broad stripes.
North really isnt a problem if they are in their preferred royal blue and we are in our preferred black.

But guess what the AFL decision was for this year...Pies in white shorts!!

Screenshot_20240712_123952_AFL.jpg

The white shorts make it worse, as means both teams have more white.

It's great as a Sydney supporter, we get to see all but a couple of clubs play at the SCG in their home uniforms, and it's aesthetically good on the eye. That's not the case in COL or PA matches in particular.
As the other poster said, it is contrasting colour which you want.

Red really pops against other colours, which is why Essendon, StK and Adelaide could easily do a red based alternate and solve majority of their clashes. Similar with Richmond (yellow) and Port (teal).

Emphasise the alternate colour instead of going with a generic white strip.

And I agree that the Pies could/should do a BLACK OUT style clash kit against North and Geelong (the white teams) which we have previously done, which is basically ALL BLACK with a couple of thin white braces.

North really isnt a problem if they are in their preferred royal blue and we are in our preferred black.

But guess what the AFL decision was for this year...Pies in white shorts!!

View attachment 2045892

The white shorts make it worse, as means both teams have more white.

As the other poster said, it is contrasting colour which you want.

Red really pops against other colours, which is why Essendon, StK and Adelaide could easily do a red based alternate and solve majority of their clashes. Similar with Richmond (yellow) and Port (teal).

Emphasise the alternate colour instead of going with a generic white strip.

And I agree that the Pies could/should do a BLACK OUT style clash kit against North and Geelong (the white teams) which we have previously done, which is basically ALL BLACK with a couple of thin white braces.

Yep. Which of the following has a clearer and more aesthetically pleasing contrast?

1720756944455.png 1720757010772.png

If I was in charge, NM & Geel wouldnt be able to wear preferred kits away to Collingwood. Way too much white going on at the stoppages, front on. NM can go solid royal blue, and the Cats really need a third kit for this one, as solid Navy wouldn't achieve much either. Maybe a light green or yellow base with hoops of a lighter shade - something still very Geelongish.
There's literally zero issue with these three clubs.

Best case scenario for all matchups is:
(Guernsey/Shorts)

North as home team:

vs COLL: Home / White vs Home / Black
vs GEEL: Home / White vs Clash/Inverse / Navy

Geelong as home team:

vs COLL: Home / White vs Home / Black
vs North: Home / White vs Clash/Inverse / Blue

Collingwood as home team:

Home / Black for both games, Geelong and North in Home/White for both games.

Of course, there's generally no reason why North can't wear blue shorts vs Collingwood but until the AFL actually allows teams to wear coloured shorts against each other (eg AFLW) then the use of white shorts for these particular games is needed.

Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Back