Justin Leppitsch - New Brisbane Lions Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry what i'm saying is how is he a upgrade from Voss?

It isn't that simple. The board burned their bridges with Voss by sacking him thinking they could get Roos which that subsequently botched. Roos was the "Voss upgrade".

Once that ship sailed, it was simply not feasible to get Voss back. The damage was done.

The process then became about getting the best coach available. They aren't being measured against Voss.

That's taking too long. Hurry up and sack the board pls.

Angus refusing to budge apparently. The hubris of this man is off the charts. Total inability to read which way the wind is blowing.

Looks like we are heading for an EGM.

Reckon every coaching appointment is a "Wait and see" proposition. Anyone who makes definitive predictions in advance is purely guessing.

True, but the likes of Hinkley and Sanderson had runs on the board as assistants.

Admittedly, so did Neeld.

It isn't that simple. The board burned their bridges with Voss by sacking him thinking they could get Roos which that subsequently botched. Roos was the "Voss upgrade".

Once that ship sailed, it was simply not feasible to get Voss back. The damage was done.

The process then became about getting the best coach available. They aren't being measured against Voss.

Fair enough mate good luck to him and the Lions :thumbsu:

Genuine question because i'm having a mental blank.

Has a past player ever been a successful coach within 10 years from retiring as a player at the club they've taken over?

Richmond were in a somewhat similar mess to where Brisbane are now, when Leppa arrived there. Coach had been sacked, a rebuild had gone somewhat awry. Not suggesting for a second he single handedly solved their problems but he has been witness to them getting back on the rails in a big way.

May have been why his presentation was more impressive than Leigh Tudor who is a highly regarded assistant but has generally arrived at clubs when they were in premiership contention.
Gary March was the bloke that put us back on track by getting Benny Gale and Dimma to the club.Leppa was a bonus but not the be all and end all.Anyway good luck to Leppa.

Has a past player ever been a successful coach within 10 years from retiring as a player at the club they've taken over?

John Worsfold.

Finished playing in 1998. As a coach runner up in 2005, then a premiership in 2006.

Leppa was a bonus but not the be all and end all.

Not sure you read my post properly. I said the benefit of us getting Leppitsch is that he witnessed your rebirth, I didn't say he caused it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

John Worsfold.

Finished playing in 1998. As a coach runner up in 2005, then a premiership in 2006.

Yeah add Paul Roos to the mix as well then I suppose.

I dunno though. For whatever reason I don't put Leppitsch on the same level as Roos/Worsfold

Wait, this is who they fired Voss for?

ffs.

Love it when people just keep parroting stuff that has already been clarified in the thread.

Smith
Kennedy
Coleman
Davis
Jeans
Hafey
Jewell
Walls
Roos
Worsfold

Obviously Nicholls, Jezza and the like as well.

And probably more on top of that. It's not unusual.

EDIT: Forgot Parkin, thanks Slax

Remove this Banner Ad

Justin Leppitsch - New Brisbane Lions Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back