Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

You guys fail to understand Simmo is probably completely burnt out and mentally cooked from this saga - why would he want to join Freo right now when:
a. he is getting paid to not work until end of next year
b. he already is wealthy and doesn't need the money
c. he has coached 11 seasons straight and probably needs a break from footy
Maybe in a year or two, but if f I were him I would be booking a 1 way ticket to a pacific island with my surfboard and leave my phone behind

I just reckon it's gotta be a sacrificial lamb. Somebody to throw to the wolves becuase whoever gets the job, isn't surviving the duration of the rebuild. IMHO.
Agreed, usually the upcoming assistants or the wise old hands are the best candidates for that.

Paul Roos for Melbourne was probably one of the best examples of the latter, otherwise it's the Scott Burns or Andrew McQualters of the world in my view.

West Coast do have some serious clout though, so wouldn't surprise me if they can do something big.

Agreed, usually the upcoming assistants or the wise old hands are the best candidates for that.

Paul Roos for Melbourne was probably one of the best examples of the latter, otherwise it's the Scott Burns or Andrew McQualters of the world in my view.

West Coast do have some serious clout though, so wouldn't surprise me if they can do something big.
I wonder if Sheeds is still around. ;)

I think West Coast would have to be aware of the sacrificial lamb nature of the next 2-3 years.
They would be better off putting in a temporary experienced coach with a succession plan already in place.
Something like Ken Hinkley for max 2 years with Ash Hansen coming over as well taking some of the media commitments etc ready to take control when needed.
Cox seems too entrenched for the Sydney role to risk a straight up senior coach role here.
Schofield could switch over to Port after 7-8 games senior experience, would def make the Port fans happy!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Shame west coast don’t really have any players of need for us as juicy bones to pick off their carcass.
We don’t often trade with them but these here are extraordinary times !
Closest to our needs would be Liam Ryan but risky given his soft tissue injuries 🤷‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Was talking to a couple of Eagle supporter friends yesterday and they were emphatic that they do not want Cox or any other former Eagle player for their new coach.

They are of the belief that former players have too many former Club connections and are too easily influenced by that and it isn’t necessarily an advantage. They want a totally new Coach with fresh ideas and a new approach.

It’s an interesting take, and it made me reflect on the Bell-Longmuir dynamic which from all accounts went belly up after a while.

Was talking to a couple of Eagle supporter friends yesterday and they were emphatic that they do not want Cox or any other former Eagle player for their new coach.

They are of the belief that former players have too many former Club connections and are too easily influenced by that and it isn’t necessarily an advantage. They want a totally new Coach with fresh ideas and a new approach.

It’s an interesting take, and it made me reflect on the Bell-Longmuir dynamic which from all accounts went belly up after a while.
I hope thet get Bevo ;)

Don't know about Bevo, and how long he'll last if the Bulldogs don't make the finals this year. I thought they were on track before last week to push towards the top 4, but that was a big belting they copped against Port and they've lost a few key players now.

I reckon Longmuir picked up something tactically from the loss against the Western Bulldogs with regards to the way the Bulldogs mids switched positions on us and pushed forward and kicked goals. I know Hayden Young had already been doing that a bit in some games previous, but it seemed like we did a similar thing to Gold Coast the following week getting their mids and defenders in no man's land, as in when their mids should follow and when they should let their defenders pick up.

I don’t think being a former player of the club is a disadvantage. Not sure any of the three players in question have been at West Coast for 3-4 years.

They need someone from outside the four walls I reckon but I don’t think these guys being former players means all that much given they’ve been outside the four walls for some time.

Bell has a massive ego and thinks he knows better than everyone - people like that tend to micromanage and just generally cause a toxic environment. Tbh I get similar vibes from Don Pyke.

In the summer of 2006 I witnessed Dean Cox try to steal a blokes missus at the Floreat, piss in a pot plant at the Saint, and finally snort something unusual at Metro City.

Can people really change that much?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the summer of 2006 I witnessed Dean Cox try to steal a blokes missus at the Floreat, piss in a pot plant at the Saint, and finally snort something unusual at Metro City.

Yes, they can... and if they're brave enough, they do.

TBH most of the Eagles at the time were all doing much the same and worse

I think we're seeing a more confident JL these days in his pressers. Obviously, he's not the most eloquent in front of camera (which I can totally relate to!) but in his last presser his "ums" and "ahs" are almost gone and he's speaking with more authority. Calling out his players for "chasing stats" and giving a 50 point win a 7/10 are more examples. I think he's starting to believe a flag is within his reach in the near future if everything goes right and players execute. Belief leads to confidence and speaking with more conviction. I'm digging the confident JL these days.

Depends on the pessimism\optimism scale U be on. :)

I'm no employment contract expert, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some kind of restraint of trade clause which prevented Simpson from working for a competitor over the timeframe covered by any payout. I.e he wouldn't be able to take on the (paid) role of assistant coach for at least 6 months, but probably more, if his contract is not subject to the 6-month payout clause that AFL-owned clubs are.

Note: someone with specific expertise in this area might yet confirm the fact that I am, indeed, no employment contract expert.
ususlly restraint of trade is valid for period of the contract . If contract was cancelled and that why they paying him out, then he is free to to be employed anywhere

Having been on contracts myself fir many many years that is certainly how mine are

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back