Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

He can coach (how good I’m not sure) but he’d want to pull his head out his arse with regards to some issues that continue to arise every single time the team goes into a game with alot riding on it

Team selection
Slow starts
Inability to close out games
Lack of genuine plan when games get tight

All still issues 12-18 mths in the making and still no closer to a credible solution for any of them besides The process!!
Aka (WEz aRS yUnGZz!)
While I agree with this 100%, some blame should be placed on the players this season:
  • Jackson- dropping easy marks, taking little contested marks, getting beaten in the ruck way too easily
  • Freddy- good for a goal but does fk all for the rest of the match, the same applies to Sturt
  • Banfield- had a brilliant start to the year but has dropped off completely. Maybe the low balling is getting to him?
How do you replace all of these players? You just simply can't and they need to lift big time.

He shouldn’t have been renewed this year. The list isn’t strong enough to cover the injuries but JLO is poor on game day.

While I agree with this 100%, some blame should be placed on the players this season:
  • Jackson- dropping easy marks, taking little contested marks, getting beaten in the ruck way too easily
  • Freddy- good for a goal but does fk all for the rest of the match, the same applies to Sturt
  • Banfield- had a brilliant start to the year but has dropped off completely. Maybe the low balling is getting to him?
How do you replace all of these players? You just simply can't and they need to lift big time.
Yea spot on with those player assessments.
Banfield and Freddy in particular have been nothing short of horrendous last 4/5 games and it’s killing us.
Our lack of depth up front is fully exposing our teams weaknesses

It’s just with jlos selection and tactics atm aren’t doing himself any favours.

I mean would it have hurt not to have Brodie sub?
our CB work has been diabolical of late

Also if not Reidy why not go small?
Keep Ras in?.. he was actually ok last week apart from that one error and it’d do his confidence world of good to get a couple games in row.

Qh1X8HL.png

We still need to persist with JLo folks. If he doesn't make finals next year then for sure he needs to move on. The only coach I would sack JLo tomorrow for is C Scott and he isn't available.

We still need to persist with JLo folks. If he doesn't make finals next year then for sure he needs to move on. The only coach I would sack JLo tomorrow for is C Scott and he isn't available.

Why? If the club believes he is the coach to lead us forward, extend him.

If they don't, waiting 12 months is only causing more harm.

There is enough evidence after 5 years of coaching to determine if he is any good. Club should make a stand, back him in or move him on.

Reidy had 52 hitouts and 19 possessions today for peel, wonder if JLo will even watch the replay?
Reckon he ever watches the replay?

Would mean he couldn't pretend Will Brodie isn't on the list anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Longmuir has got this group to believe and in games. It’s up to the leaders to will the team over the line. There’s only so much Jl can do.

What is he meant to do with a 4 goal head start to Geelong?

The difference is so fragile. He wins the close ones, he’s the best coach with McRae. He loses, he’s an idiot.

Has to learn to close games. The leaders have to step up.

Look it may be pessimistic but during games, this team can really give hope. Once they get over that, world beaters.
Loss to Port by 3
Carlton by 10 after leading by 5.
Loss to Essendon by 1.
Geelong by 11 after leading at 3/4 time.

Loss to Hawthron by 15, after being ahead at 3/4 time.

It’s belief.

It’s hard to explain. There’s something about this group that’s different to Ross Lyon 2011-2016. If add more grunt and experience, watch out

Longmuir has got this group to believe and in games. It’s up to the leaders to will the team over the line. There’s only so much Jl can do.

The difference is so fragile. He wins the close ones, he’s the best coach with McRae. He loses, he’s an idiot.

Has to learn to close games. The leaders have to step up.

Look it may be pessimistic but during games, this team can really give hope. Once they get over that, world beaters.
Loss to Port by 3
Carlton by 10 after leading by 5.
Loss to Essendon by 1.
Geelong by 11 after leading at 3/4 time.

Loss to Hawthron by 15, after being ahead at 3/4 time.

It’s belief.

It’s hard to explain. There’s something about this group that’s different to Ross Lyon 2011-2016. If add more grunt and experience, watch out

I agree.

I think Longmuir coached well. After Geelong jumped to a four goal lead he slowed the game down and got us back into it. Our forward line was dysfunctional with the players we had forward.

Can he mark for Voss? Can he kick straight for Frederick and Amiss? Can he make correct marking decisions for umpires in the goal square?

The players need to be held accountable.

We’re close and changing the coach will do nothing but set us back. He’s got many of our players playing their best football.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just to pick up on this point (appreciate the rest of your post was much more in depth)...the slow starts have been systemic.

If it was an isolated incident I'd be fuming at the players given what was on the line but our chronic poor starts and persistent inability to hold a lead deep into a game have been characteristic of the last two seasons. That fact shifts the blame towards the coaching staff and their inability to have the players in a space where they can hit the ground running/close out a game.

Of course it's not purely Longmuir's fault. Everyone has to own it and yes we are still a relatively young side so it's not entirely surprising. Ultimately though, it's his job on the line and if he can't fix these persistent issues that are going to keep us from cementing a place in the top 4, he's in trouble.

The one thing I'll say for JL is that our good football this season has been far better than previous years. I was pretty disenfranchised at the start of the year but have been drawn back in because we've played more attractive, effective footy for extended periods of time. I think he's actually got a gameplan with this side to win a flag, he just needs to figure out how to keep the players at that level more consistently within each game and throughout the season.

Last edited:
You see, they say that we're practicing intense game situations, yet the performances they've dished up every time say otherwise, something doesn't add up.

Very much feel this is an add/refresh the assistants type of scenario. Boyd and Corey have speak so similarly to JLo (media at least) and have near identical demeanours. Three photocopies and Jaymie Graham is an imbalanced coaching group.

And, if we're not regularly contacting Adam Simpson's manager about an assistant coaching role, we're not serious. He took a good Eagles list and turned them into a highly-skilled team (arguably the best dry weather team for a few seasons), including taking a Claremont forward prone to dropping marks into a stunning marking defender (J McGovern). He was also well-regarded assistant at Hawthorn, pre-Eagles.

You see, they say that we're practicing intense game situations, yet the performances they've dished up every time say otherwise, something doesn't add up.

I wonder if a 30 Y.O JOM unneccessarily taking an advantage and turning it over + Worner not knowing how to kill a simple ball on the boundary was factored into the training.

I wonder if a 30 Y.O JOM unneccessarily taking an advantage and turning it over + Worner not knowing how to kill a simple ball on the boundary was factored into the training.
Massively stupid blunders, I couldn't believe my eyes watching both of those.

It's pretty simple, put us under pressure and the plan falls apart.

Look a million bucks against teams who don't pressure then when the heat turns up we don't know what the **** to do.
I don’t think that’s due to game plan. To me it’s preparation, onfield leadership and appetite for the contest. The game plan held up against some great teams this year. We don’t have a consistent winning mentality. That’s where JL and the club is failing. We don’t have it onfield, we don’t have it at selection.

Worner at a minimum needed to get that over the line for a stoppage, however amiss had a paddock if he could just handball it over Blicavs head, instead he took him on and got done HTB, just stupid.

Everyone needs to relax on JL he’s a good coach and we have results this year that shows we are on the right path.

I know every team has injuries but we have injuries on players we can’t replace
Draper for Pearce is like asking for steak and being given tofu
Darcy being a fat injured lard screws all structure we have because Jackson isn’t a ruck and he isn’t a fwd idek what he is
And then treacy the heart and soul of this team replacing him with Taberner that’s just watching the girl of your dreams hook up with your worst enemy. It’s soul crushing and makes the game so hard

Then youve got blokes coming back from long term injuries in cox. Everyone expects him to be in 2022 form but realistically he’s a slow burn because he’s had 12-14 weeks out

Pre season all media had freo finishing 15th-12th every fan here was like just make finals. It’s been a weird season but we should make finals but now the goal posts have changed for everyone and expect a team to finish as low as they did last year to finish top 4.

The big picture is we’ve had development in some good kids
Clark young Treacy MJ amiss and that’s what this year was about getting the kids to be ready to wins games and push for finals next year is when we start questioning JL
If we don’t push top 4 and a prelim then I’ll be happy to get rid of him but we are young we are building to great things just need to spend the off season practicing on starts and finishes for games it’s all we are lacking right now
Turn 3 of those games we lead at 3qtr time and lost into wins and we are top of the ladder

So again everyone just chill out on JL give it next year when we are supposed to contend and just enjoy the small wins this year and hopefully can win a final because that’s an over achievement from pre season

Glad the club hasn't jumped at the sugar hit we've had and extended him

I still stand my him not the coach to take us to the next level

Again we lost at the selection table and the sub decision was terrible

Worner? For a key forward. Yeh the games mostly gone past tabs but we had some sort of forward structure with him on

And worner wasn't going to be the sugar hit with pace at that time in the game, doesn't have experience to influence a game like that

We might limp into the finals this year, but next year he's Gonski if we aren't top 4 with this list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back