Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone needs to relax on JL he’s a good coach and we have results this year that shows we are on the right path.

I know every team has injuries but we have injuries on players we can’t replace
Draper for Pearce is like asking for steak and being given tofu
Darcy being a fat injured lard screws all structure we have because Jackson isn’t a ruck and he isn’t a fwd idek what he is
And then treacy the heart and soul of this team replacing him with Taberner that’s just watching the girl of your dreams hook up with your worst enemy. It’s soul crushing and makes the game so hard

Then youve got blokes coming back from long term injuries in cox. Everyone expects him to be in 2022 form but realistically he’s a slow burn because he’s had 12-14 weeks out

Pre season all media had freo finishing 15th-12th every fan here was like just make finals. It’s been a weird season but we should make finals but now the goal posts have changed for everyone and expect a team to finish as low as they did last year to finish top 4.

The big picture is we’ve had development in some good kids
Clark young Treacy MJ amiss and that’s what this year was about getting the kids to be ready to wins games and push for finals next year is when we start questioning JL
If we don’t push top 4 and a prelim then I’ll be happy to get rid of him but we are young we are building to great things just need to spend the off season practicing on starts and finishes for games it’s all we are lacking right now
Turn 3 of those games we lead at 3qtr time and lost into wins and we are top of the ladder

So again everyone just chill out on JL give it next year when we are supposed to contend and just enjoy the small wins this year and hopefully can win a final because that’s an over achievement from pre season
While I agree with most of this, the losses at the selection table have been incredibly disappointing, the point blank refusal to play Reidy when Darcy is unavailable or should have been unavailable is inexcusable. Plus the refusal to play Brodie (even as Sub) is also inexcusable. He offers way more coming on for a quarter than Aish, Ras or Worner. It’s just dumb that we get overridden in the middle in last quarters when we have a proven AFL level Mid playing in the twos.
Once or twice is understandable but we’ve now lost 5 games we’ve lead at 3/4 time, 4 of them when Darcy isn’t playing and we’ve gone with Jackson as lead ruck, all of them with nobody who provided run and drive as the sub.

Glad the club hasn't jumped at the sugar hit we've had and extended him

I still stand my him not the coach to take us to the next level

Again we lost at the selection table and the sub decision was terrible

Worner? For a key forward. Yeh the games mostly gone past tabs but we had some sort of forward structure with him on

And worner wasn't going to be the sugar hit with pace at that time in the game, doesn't have experience to influence a game like that

We might limp into the finals this year, but next year he's Gonski if we aren't top 4 with this list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Club should be on the front foot and be looking at improving the assistants first.
Don’t see how we can take the next step otherwise.
Jlo has one maybe two years left, and with Hinkley safe for the moment maybe we
offer Carr the top job in 2026?
Otherwise Ash Hansen would be another assistant worth approaching to have a smooth transition to replacing JLo.
Hansen has ties with the. Bulldogs previously so I wouldn’t be surprised to see him
being talked about at Freo.

We head into 2025 the same as 2024, JL with a season on his contract coming off a year we didn’t deliver to expectations.

The club had a flag in its aims by 2025 and the women’s team won’t get it done either.

It really puts the club in awkward spot, I don’t think going an untried coach to replace him is the answer. But there aren’t any proven coaches we can shake out. We need to do something different though but which way?

I understand the psychology of positive thinking in sport which all the players seem to have and that led by JL. They’re always talking about wining the flag or that there is no ceiling, why not now, all that talk. But I think psychologically that can create a culture or atmosphere that it’ll just happen and that’s what I feel is the vibe of the playing group and fans. Yes look at all these young guns we have, we definitely will get a flag, look at the game against Sydney or Melbourne in 2022…but history shows you need to add grit to that. We rest on our laurels too much. I also think the long term contracts (while unavoidable in modern footy) also hurt psychologically.

Gws were going to win 5 flags in a row with the group they had. The Port team of 2014 was supposed to get flags. The group Freo had in 2003 ended up failing miserably. This is such a similar group, that team could beat anyone anywhere on its day and even look like a contender occasionally but then had so many let downs and final qtr chokes.

The change of the HTB rule mid season has really hurt JLo's tactics. You can see by how long we hold onto the ball in a contest that he's instructed players to keep every possession until there is a free player to handball or kick to. The amount of time we were caught in posession was damning. Geelong on the other hand threw it onto the boot immediately. If we do scrape into the eight (unlikely now) I can see another Collingwood style execution if we want to keep playing in the same manner.

sadly the selection of Tabs to come into the game to replace Darcy was a mistake

Sorry Justin you stuffed that one up.

Should have been like for like we needed a full time ruckman to replace Darcy Reidy would have tryed hard maybe not succeed but tryed hard.

But Tabs selection wasnt the reason we lost. The reason we lost was the team couldnt handle the pressure. Dropped marks by so many. Handballs to the oppostion. Ball disposal to space instead of to our own team.

IT looked like a rattled team.

Back to square one it seems. Another year in development

I will try to remain positive but it looks just like another same old same old for Fremantle after 30 yrs

You see, they say that we're practicing intense game situations, yet the performances they've dished up every time say otherwise, something doesn't add up.

They can train these situations all they like. Reality is though there’s nothing like playing actual games in these situations.

Genuinely think it’s something we won’t be able to shake this season tbh but do have some faith we’ll eventually turn that part of our game around.

Thankfully I don’t think a banged up Taberner is playing for us again. Worner has a contract for next year but shouldn’t play again for us this season. Thing is I actually think our depth sort of goes okay but we’re using the wrong players - outside of perhaps the ruck if we can’t trust Reidy.

While I agree with most of this, the losses at the selection table have been incredibly disappointing, the point blank refusal to play Reidy when Darcy is unavailable or should have been unavailable is inexcusable. Plus the refusal to play Brodie (even as Sub) is also inexcusable. He offers way more coming on for a quarter than Aish, Ras or Worner. It’s just dumb that we get overridden in the middle in last quarters when we have a proven AFL level Mid playing in the twos.
Once or twice is understandable but we’ve now lost 5 games we’ve lead at 3/4 time, 4 of them when Darcy isn’t playing and we’ve gone with Jackson as lead ruck, all of them with nobody who provided run and drive as the sub.
Yeah it is frustrating but there has to be a reason reidy isn’t playing. The Brodie one dumbfounds me because we saw in preseason him and Fyfe absolutely dominate bray and young in the intraclub

Bit late for that mate lol
Yep it’s looking like an early start to preseason. But will anything change?
Instead we will roll out so and so trade, and the promise of the holy grail.
We have seen this script before and where the change should be off the field
instead it will be on our star recruits.
Players that need individualised programs, on speed size and stamina will all be
Put through the grinder as a collective.
Those people that have been around long enough to see AFL from the beginning
have seen teams have massive gains and the start of greatness.
Sure we have a few that are driven, but too few to really dominate.

This is the only thread I’ve actively avoided this year, but I can’t help myself now.

Repeated poor starts and failing to hold on to leads all comes down to coaching imho. To get the team prepared, and then to have them understand how to shut a game down. I really hope it is just a learning curve and we continue to improve in these areas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone needs to relax on JL he’s a good coach and we have results this year that shows we are on the right path.

I know every team has injuries but we have injuries on players we can’t replace
Draper for Pearce is like asking for steak and being given tofu
Darcy being a fat injured lard screws all structure we have because Jackson isn’t a ruck and he isn’t a fwd idek what he is
And then treacy the heart and soul of this team replacing him with Taberner that’s just watching the girl of your dreams hook up with your worst enemy. It’s soul crushing and makes the game so hard

Then youve got blokes coming back from long term injuries in cox. Everyone expects him to be in 2022 form but realistically he’s a slow burn because he’s had 12-14 weeks out

Pre season all media had freo finishing 15th-12th every fan here was like just make finals. It’s been a weird season but we should make finals but now the goal posts have changed for everyone and expect a team to finish as low as they did last year to finish top 4.

The big picture is we’ve had development in some good kids
Clark young Treacy MJ amiss and that’s what this year was about getting the kids to be ready to wins games and push for finals next year is when we start questioning JL
If we don’t push top 4 and a prelim then I’ll be happy to get rid of him but we are young we are building to great things just need to spend the off season practicing on starts and finishes for games it’s all we are lacking right now
Turn 3 of those games we lead at 3qtr time and lost into wins and we are top of the ladder

So again everyone just chill out on JL give it next year when we are supposed to contend and just enjoy the small wins this year and hopefully can win a final because that’s an over achievement from pre season
Isn’t the coach the head of the match committee ?
That’s where our problems are. We have been losing games this year at team selection.

It's pretty simple, put us under pressure and the plan falls apart.

Look a million bucks against teams who don't pressure then when the heat turns up we don't know what the **** to do.
I swear freos current era under Justin Longmuir reminds me of Chris Connollys coaching era of 2002-07.

This 2023-24 era reminds me of that connolly era of 2004-5. Solid season of decent wins and frustratiing losses. But sadly end up just outside of a finals spot of 9th or 10th or 11th.

I am not gonna say freo in 2025 will do a freo of 2006.

Longmuire needs to go so many mistakes from not using 2 rucks the last few weeks to keeping banfield on for too long .....he is only assistant coach material
Can't coach for shit. Sack him.

Reidy, Brodie & O'Driscoll languishing in the WAFL and blokes like Banfield/O'Meara/Aish let us down week in week out.

3 goal head starts 2 week in a row have cost us games

The same thing we have been plagued with over his whole tenure

How many chances do you get?

The one thing we desperately had to do this week was not give GWS a head start.

Finals on the line and the same underlying issues undermined us. Poor opening 15 mins, inability to hold a lead, suspect defending.

Awful.

Hypothetically, if we were to suddenly be in the market for a coach I do wonder if any of those who have said no to the West Coast job would throw their hat in for ours

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back