Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

So we've lost 3 crucial games by a total of 21 points.

We've been 23 points, 19 points and 14 points down by halfway through the first quarter in all of them.

In that time our starting line up has been exactly the same barring changes to the team.

I'd love to hear what we are trying to do to address these starts.
To be fair its hard to plan for your KPD going lazy handover / caught napping, then giving away a 50, then watching cadman run away and float across the pack to go down 3 goals straight up.

Three weeks in a row the sub has been used at a pre-conceived time for a pre-conceived player. Absolutely no game-day sense to any of the decisions. Yes Tabs was bad last week, but the sub changed our structure completely. Erasmus against Essendon and Fyfe today weren’t best on ground, but were doing enough and being useful to stay on the park. It’s just way too scripted and the only way JL is going to change mid-match is if we get an injury.

He has Plan A only, there just never seems to be a Plan B. Anytime the opposition shuts down our Plan A, we just keep on pushing on with Plan A hoping it eventually clicks and we might get off the chain.

Skilled and disciplined teams can lock us down and JL just has not taught this team how to adapt to challenges during the game.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he’s the one to take us to the promised land.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Three weeks in a row the sub has been used at a pre-conceived time for a pre-conceived player. Absolutely no game-day sense to any of the decisions. Yes Tabs was bad last week, but the sub changed our structure completely. Erasmus against Essendon and Fyfe today weren’t best on ground, but were doing enough and being useful to stay on the park. It’s just way too scripted and the only way JL is going to change mid-match is if we get an injury.

He has Plan A only, there just never seems to be a Plan B. Anytime the opposition shuts down our Plan A, we just keep on pushing on with Plan A hoping it eventually clicks and we might get off the chain.

Skilled and disciplined teams can lock us down and JL just has not taught this team how to adapt to challenges during the game.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t think he’s the one to take us to the promised land.

No he’s not. Today did it for me. The realisation of his poor selection the last 2 weeks and not making the right changes today on the field. They had to put someone on Hogan who could play tight, Banners should of been pulled off in the 3rd and I felt that Jackson should of been ordered to put more body on his opponent. Soft display.

Soft coach. Ready for the Finisher.

As members we need to put some pressure on the club. jL presser he said he told the players he is proud of them? WTAF? Proud of what? Consistently coughing up games? **** him off, we need a coach with some balls

What was the play today instead of subbing Fyfe?

Like if the Tabs subbing messed our structure, the Fyfe sub was as good as we could do keeping our structure in tact.

Drizz basically had to come in to the midfield. We desperately needed some run and carry through there. It was either sub Fyfe or sub Banfield or a wing but have to push Young / Serong / AB to a wing or fwd. I'm not sure the alternative was the obvious choice, even in hindsight.

Kinda strange that I feel like he should be sacked at the end of the year after the good game overall. And it was a good game by us considering the missing players. It was also inexcusable to select Banfield to begin with and to top it off, keep him in for the whole game.
Sure, there were few bad/average performers in the team but there’s only one sub unfortunately.

The whole Darcy management, picking favourites shite will come back to bite him on the arse. I reckon he’s a great assistant coach and a very good tactical coach but I don’t believe he’s a senior coach material.

Erasmus against Essendon
Had to be Brodie.

Wasn't the time to bring in a kid who has shown any ability to handle the level yet. That decision alone has cost us finals.

What was the play today instead of subbing Fyfe?

Like if the Tabs subbing messed our structure, the Fyfe sub was as good as we could do keeping our structure in tact.

Drizz basically had to come in to the midfield. We desperately needed some run and carry through there. It was either sub Fyfe or sub Banfield or a wing but have to push Young / Serong / AB to a wing or fwd. I'm not sure the alternative was the obvious choice, even in hindsight.

I think the argument is that we should have subbed Banfield. We probably should have pulled the trigger on that half way through the third. It was slow, pre-empted decision making.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

partly coached fault yes but we had too many skill errors from so many players

failure to man up on so many occassions

The only quarter we looked good was 2nd but that was mainly becaue GWS pressure was down . our pressure never matched theirs

PRessure is a player issue , not a coach directly.

Yes Reidy should have played everytime Darcy was not playing

jackson is good as 2nd ruck not main ruck,

NExt year hopefully.

Next year.

AGAIN

As members we need to put some pressure on the club. jL presser he said he told the players he is proud of them? WTAF? Proud of what? Consistently coughing up games? **** him off, we need a coach with some balls
My friend who was watching for the first time saw JLo and said “He looks so nervous, I just wanna give him a hug”

Bloke's post match conference was a disgrace. I get it's a personality thing but he's drier than a Koorda farm in summer - you've got a massive supporter base absolutely gutted, and all the responses were utterly one-dimensional and hopeless.

I'm sure there's a lot more to it than just delivery, but this one really hurts.

Plays his favourites and is too slow game day. Not inspiring or tough enough for mine. Banfield, Fyfe (who has hit the wall), playing fat unfit Darcy, playing an unfit Cox rd 1, not getting Wagner back to the 23 sooner, not playing Reidy the last 2 weeks…list goes on.

I think there is a certain amount of players who have got a little comfortable just like ( Michael Johnson, Crowley, Paul Duffield, Pavlich lesser extent, Stephen Hill, Clancee Pearce and obviously Walters) were prior to RTB arriving late 2011. Probably a few I forgot.

Just remember the coach they respect and at times feared challenged nearly each individual at the club to improve and become a better version.

We are at that point now. Yes we’ve had that from Treacy and Young this year, but there are so many on this list who have a long way to go and kick up the arse.

Jlo isn’t terrible tactically, but he isn’t a genius either and is conservative to make adequate changes.

It’s time. Jlo is a huge reason why we will miss finals this year through is stubbornness and selection stupidity throughout. It’s time to go.

Would disagree if it was his 2nd-3rd year... It's his 5th and he continually presides over glaring coaching errors.

Inexcusable to sub Fyfe off instead of Banfield.

Even more inexcusable that Reidy played a decent game. Why on earth wasn’t he selected last week?

We just get beaten by such obvious shit. I don't want to see him sacked, but this is a results based business and this team has completely choked.

I could tell he was upset after the game today.

Should've been. he's too nice.
We have 30 years of mostly pitiful existence, Longmuir has been there for 13.

5 years as a coach, one finals campaign.
8 years as a promising player, riddled with knee injuries.

We were shit for most of that 8 years, made finals twice. Second time Longmuir not played coz of injury.
I'm not sure he's ever played in a final, happy to be corrected.

But he's taken a lot of $ out of the franchise, and really one would have to size up who has benefitted the most.
Probably not the Dockers.

Harsh, but it's a results based business.
His results are mediocre at best!

I swear freos current era under Justin Longmuir reminds me of Chris Connollys coaching era of 2002-07.

This 2023-24 era reminds me of that connolly era of 2004-5. Solid season of decent wins and frustratiing losses. But sadly end up just outside of a finals spot of 9th or 10th or 11th.

I am not gonna say freo in 2025 will do a freo of 2006.
Great connection you've made there. I've been telling all my Dockers supporting mates this privately for two solid years now. 2022 was our 2003.

Justin is good enough to keep us there or thereabouts, but he's not good enough to contend. The club needs to be brave. We need a hard ass coach to come in and straighten the group out like Ross did at the start of 2012 (sans the defensive game style). This is the most talented group we've ever had and we're going to blow it if we're not brave enough to make a change.

On Pixel 3 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back