Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

We’d have to do something pretty special to find a replacement that’s better tbh. That’s unless Jaymie Graham is a much better coach than JL.

Look at how many are turning the eagles and their reasoning. I don’t think the eagles are missing out because their list sucks.
No one wants to deal with Don Pyke

We’d have to do something pretty special to find a replacement that’s better tbh. That’s unless Jaymie Graham is a much better coach than JL.

Look at how many are turning the eagles and their reasoning. I don’t think the eagles are missing out because their list sucks.
Even then, I think its dangerous to hire from within.

Re the Eagles: I reckon that's exactly why nobody wants it. They haven't even bottomed out (you watch how many 27yo+ are in their BF top 10 this year). It's a hiding to nothing given how long it might take to get competitive again. You'd only take it if you were convinced its the only chance you'll get.

Even then, I think its dangerous to hire from within.

Re the Eagles: I reckon that's exactly why nobody wants it. They haven't even bottomed out (you watch how many 27yo+ are in their BF top 10 this year). It's a hiding to nothing given how long it might take to get competitive again. You'd only take it if you were convinced its the only chance you'll get.

I agree their list is sh**e but I think Carr, Buckley and Giansiracusa don’t want to leave their current state. Cox is heir apparent to Longmire at a club that gets enough AFL assistance to not bottom out.

Basically just leaves Graham unless I forgot someone. I can’t really think of another excuse for Graham tbh.

I agree their list is sh**e but I think Carr, Buckley and Giansiracusa don’t want to leave their current state. Cox is heir apparent to Longmire at a club that gets enough AFL assistance to not bottom out.

Basically just leaves Graham unless I forgot someone. I can’t really think of another excuse for Graham tbh.

Brent Montgomery.

Graham doesn’t want it.

Can you see the point here? Not sacking them lead to a dynasty.

One more year is actually worthwhile considering how close we are to contending, especially with 1-2 more guns.
only problem is, who are these 2 gun players gonna be traded from?

We cant do what Richmond did in 2016 trade in Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis and all of a sudden bang we win a flag.

Dimma got them in 13-15

Thommo 00, 04 and 05.

So both had them playing in 3 finals campaigns with Thommo winning a couple. They had a few more runs on the board it must be said.

The Cats 2000-2009 and Tigers 2010-19 comparisions are so similar its scary.

Cats in 2000 made finals. Lost the elim final. Cats made a prelim final in 2004. So they at least won a final. They made and won an elim final in 2005 vs demons lost narrowly in the semi final vs swans.

2006 was the important year. The didnt make finals and Bomber thompson was nearly sacked. Then comes 2007, they broke a 44 year cup drought vs a South Aussie side in Port. Looked certain to win a flag in 2008 but choked. Won a flag in 2009.

Richmond .... Again similar situation. Made elim finals in 2013-5. Should of at least beaten Carlton in 2013 or North in 2015 or both. They were never gonna beat Port in 2014. In 2016, Richmond didnt make finals. Hardwick was nearly sacked.

2017 rolls around, Richmond breaks though a 37 year cup drought, beating a South Aussie Side in the crows. Richmond like the cats in 2008, looked certain to win the flag in 2018 but choked. Tigers won another flag in 2019.

Just shy of 5 years on. Hate to say a toe to sew.

Lyon would actually have had a serious chance with this list. He is the exact type of coach we now need and we have Buckleys chance of attracting a coaching and football talent like him to WA.

He's since proven he's still one of the best coaches in the league. I said a few times on here that I would rather lose Fyfe than Lyon and I stand by it.

Attitudes reflect leadership. The standards you walk past are the standards you accept. Ross gave us some backbone. An identity. Some relevance. It was a once in a lifetime shot that got him here in the first place and we traded it all in so an image obsessed president could get himself a cheap headline.
So true.

Ross Lyon might be defensive but He does get results. People can laugh about Ross Lyon not winning a flag. But as it stands now.... Look at freos history from 1995-2024, our 30 years in the comp.

Ross Lyon is the only coach in our history to get us sustained finals run or make finals for at least 2 years in a row. That was 2012-15.

Go look what we achieved Before Ross Lyon was coach. From 1995-2011, we only made finals 3 times out of 17 years. Taht was 2003, 2006 and 2010. We never made back to back finals in that period. Barring a flag. I seriously would of traded our 2003 season to make finals in 2005. That means making finals in 2005-6. Its not great but at least we could say we had a sustained finals run.

Since we sacked Ross Lyon at the end of 2019, we have had Justin Longmuir since 2020. Have we made back to back finals under Longmuir? Nope. But I wished we made finals in 2021 as well. That also means we would of made finals in 2021 and 2022.

Its not the lack of Flags that concern me. Its the lack of finals matches or Sustained finals matches in our history that concerns me.

Barring that 2012-15 period, there isnt a lot to cheer about or be proud of.

I already posted this before and will post it again. Regardless on if we make finals in 2024, 2012-5 will still be our only period of sustained finals and contention.

So I will look forward for the next 30 seasons from 2025-2054. I would be happy if we make finals 10 times in the next 30 seasons after this season is done. I can tolerate a 5-6 year period of no finals if we make finals for 2 or 3 years in a row after that.

He seems fairly hopeless in his interviews and post matches sometimes. The latest one where he's asking fans to get around Freo irked me slightly. What the hell does he think the fans having been doing so far?

Definitely on the 25 finals or out. If we trade in Warner and Bolton at the cost of our first rounders than the caveat should be top 4 and grand final appearance.

Of course, who would be his successor would be the next question?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In that highly unlikely event, I reckon we go back to the highly rated assistants. No doubt we'd ask about C.Scott and maybe Horse (although given the Swans Q1s not sure he'd be that well received) but get told no.
That’s the point & it’s not directed at supporters like you.

There’s a lot on here who want him sacked but offer up no replacement. You’ve put up the 2 that are the obvious wish list but are not gettable.

I hate that we’ve lost close games because we’re missing 3 players, that’s crap but we don’t yet have the depth to cover them. Our injury list has been fantastic all year & the fact that those 3 out is costing us games is not great, but that’s where the list is at.

Another year in the system for our young depth players & we’re winning those games & probably sitting top 4.

Longmuir has made made mistakes as all coaches have but he’s not the finished product & there are still holes in our list that need to be addressed before we are serious top 4 contenders which for me is exciting as we are only a game or 2 off it.

If supporters can’t see improvement & evolution in his coaching this year & the way we’re playing, then their glass is completely empty.

How the **** is Ross Lyon still being mentioned here? He was sacked for a reason & admitted himself he had to re-educate himself.

Nobody is putting down anybody.

A realist can only be so if completely detached from the emotion of the situation. And judging by the content of your post, you're anything but detached from the emotion. I'd like to think I am a realist, but acknowledge I am compromised on Freo, usually negatively (destroys my tipping).

That general admin messaging happens at all clubs. And even if there were some seemingly ingrained administrative incompetence, just consider how long between drinks (flags) there were for:
  • Richmond
  • Dees
  • Dogs

There is no insurmountable obstacle stopping us.
yeah there is mate. Theres always going to be obstacles stopping us from freo ever winning a flag.

whether its umpires or better sides. If we were that good or that well run, we would of won a flag already.

That’s the point & it’s not directed at supporters like you.

There’s a lot on here who want him sacked but offer up no replacement. You’ve put up the 2 that are the obvious wish list but are not gettable.

I hate that we’ve lost close games because we’re missing 3 players, that’s crap but we don’t yet have the depth to cover them. Our injury list has been fantastic all year & the fact that those 3 out is costing us games is not great, but that’s where the list is at.

Another year in the system for our young depth players & we’re winning those games & probably sitting top 4.

Longmuir has made made mistakes as all coaches have but he’s not the finished product & there are still holes in our list that need to be addressed before we are serious top 4 contenders which for me is exciting as we are only a game or 2 off it.

If supporters can’t see improvement & evolution in his coaching this year & the way we’re playing, then their glass is completely empty.

How the **** is Ross Lyon still being mentioned here? He was sacked for a reason & admitted himself he had to re-educate himself.

Well people aren't going to bring up Neesham, Drum or Harvey as examples of periods of success are they? Although, Neesham was undoubtedly a man ahead of his time.

He seems fairly hopeless in his interviews and post matches sometimes. The latest one where he's asking fans to get around Freo irked me slightly. What the hell does he think the fans having been doing so far?

Definitely on the 25 finals or out. If we trade in Warner and Bolton at the cost of our first rounders than the caveat should be top 4 and grand final appearance.

Of course, who would be his successor would be the next question?
Josh Carr probably thought that the Port job would be his by now.
Could he be swayed?
Otherwise I’d chase Ash Hanson to assist for a year before taking the reins.
Crows coach should be axed, and he would be one to offer a lifeline to help
assist.
C Scott is the ultimate dream to takeover in 2027, pretty much guaranteed to
lift this club out of the doldrums.

Josh Carr probably thought that the Port job would be his by now.
Could he be swayed?
Otherwise I’d chase Ash Hanson to assist for a year before taking the reins.
Crows coach should be axed, and he would be one to offer a lifeline to help
assist.
C Scott is the ultimate dream to takeover in 2027, pretty much guaranteed to
lift this club out of the doldrums.
I don't want Josh Carr anywhere near our club. He has walked out on Freo twice.

He walked out the 1st time in 2008 as a player after trading picks 11, 27 and 45 after he got a premiership medal from port in 2004.

He walked out on the dockers at the end of 2022 to... You guessed it Port Adelaide as an assistant coach

If JL doesn't realise after this season is over that we need to get a better tackling coach or emphasis on pressure in games then he will not last. We can beat any team if we put them under pressure but we have been pretty woeful in this area in the last 3 matches which is pretty surprising given JL's insistence that Sturt learn how to tackle before he could be given a game.

If we spend first round picks on Bolton/Warner etc then it should be top 4 or gone.

Yeah this same side with the extra year plus preseason of experience, unlikely to get any younger unless a draftee is an absolute bolter, plus A-grade trade pickups should have a pass mark of a prelim final at minimum in 2025.

Slipping in to 7th-8th next year should be papers stamped for JL, no pats on the back for making finals in that instance. It's time to gun for a flag and if he can't show very quickly that he can guide us towards the top of the ladder with a team in their young prime we've got to cut our losses before we move too far into the premiership window.

Hopefully the board are of a similar view

The game plan has us competing with the best.
The team is about to enter its prime.

Room for improvement in selection and in-game changes.

Prelim or bust next year.

The game plan has us competing with the best.
The team is about to enter its prime.

Room for improvement in selection and in-game changes.

Prelim or bust next year.
I don't disagree that should be the target, but coaches rarely get sacked after making finals (see Ken).

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back