List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely someone comes out looking bad in this news story.
  • If they get McQualter/any other coach that Baker "approves" of and Baker chooses West Coast, you have the easy "Liam Baker chose your coach" attack, whether it played a part or not.
  • If they get a coach that Baker doesn't "approve" of and Baker chooses Freo, at best Baker wasn't a factor in their decision, and at worst West Coast actively chose not to get a coach that would help them get Baker. Probably a good decision, but also hopefully that means Baker takes derbies personally.
Just about the only win-win out of this is if it's not McQualter and Baker chooses West Coast anyways (ie: likely the whole coach factor story was a bit manufactured, and Baker was always going West Coast). Coz then immediately you have someone who publicly backs the new coach, but without the stain of Baker's choice being a factor in the coaching choice.

For a role player this Liam Baker fella is acting like a bit of a diva. Top 10 pick... Only going there if he likes the coach... I don't want him anymore. Make the decision for him.

For a role player this Liam Baker fella is acting like a bit of a diva. Top 10 pick... Only going there if he likes the coach... I don't want him anymore. Make the decision for him.

A role player is the exact type of player that needs to make sure the new coach wants him. Strange take.

He also doesn't decide what clubs trade for him.

A role player is the exact type of player that needs to make sure the new coach wants him. Strange take.

Wouldnt know it the way half the media are carrying on for Richmond

Media seem to be chirpy about how he very much is dictating that Richmond should be getting a good return.

FMD, if you love Richmond that much then just stay? Surely bloke has to have enough awareness that if his destination has to shell out top dollar then he's making his future employers (and the team he would be playing for) weaker.

If Pickett’s not in the picture then my preference is using 9,16 on Bolton and taking 10 to the draft and nothing else. No Baker, no moving picks into next year.

1. Bolton & Pickett
2. Bolton only
3. Bolton and Baker

I don’t see realistically how we get both Bolton and Warner salaries to fit and I’m not keen on moving on any of our guys to make it happen.

Ideally it’s Warner and Pickett we end up with but too far down the Bolton road.
My preference would be
1. Pickett
2. Take the picks to the draft
3. Bolton

Seen many reports Baker wants Richmond adequately compensated in any trade. He'd be close to a top 5 player at WC if he went there. You'd think the new coach would want him.

If WC do knock him back we should be tough at the trade table and with his contract. Take what we offer or stay at Richmond and he can rent out the new house he just bought over here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, who needs guys like Serong and Young right?
Serong got going very very quickly for a draftee but it took Young a much more typical timeframe to go from a fringe standard player (was never getting dropped due to potential) to what he is today.

It took Young 3-4 years - same as Brayshaw. Johnson, Chapman, NOD and Erasmus are looking similar.

We wait 3-4 years and Alex Pearce is retired and one or two others are on their last legs.

There's a clear tipping point with squad development where it starts to makes sense to use draft currency to fill in the gaps with readymade players who fill positions of need.

It's even more pressing for Freo given our profile is imbalanced enough as is.
I worry about this line of thinking - let's just throw picks out the window because we're already young. How has that worked out for Suns?

Yeah, who needs guys like Serong and Young right?
Its true that every single star player was drafted at the very beginning. However, IMO we don't need 18 year old versions of them developing at Peel while our best 22 has holes that can be immediately filled by top flight players who want to come here. Our window is open now.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 List Management thread - Trade Targets Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back