Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think he shifts the needle at all, but if you’re missing Fyfe and Johnson he’d definitely decrease the amount the needle drops with those outs.
So you'd think there's likely something about his game the coaches figure produces a sum negative, either short or long term, if they play him.

His turnovers were one issue for him.

Could be that or maybe something else he hasn't straightened out. But his history at Gold Coast was also starved of opportunity at AFL level.

So much depends on what we do in the off season.

I think with our current squad finals is a must. If we can add Bolton or ... then the expectations need to go up.
I seriously doubt we will see a squad transformation. A few individuals that are highly driven, most are just happy to ride the gravy train.
It starts at the top and this group is missing that killer instinct to win at everything.
Then you have to make tough or ruthless decisions on players, if this club was
serious, I’m yet to see JLo put up his hand and say it’s on him.

I seriously doubt we will see a squad transformation. A few individuals that are highly driven, most are just happy to ride the gravy train.
It starts at the top and this group is missing that killer instinct to win at everything.
Then you have to make tough or ruthless decisions on players, if this club was
serious, I’m yet to see JLo put up his hand and say it’s on him.
It doesn't really need a "squad transformation" (whatever that specifically would mean). The age/experience of the B22 should have an an incremental lift across the board next year. We improve in (small/med) forward potency, attacking transition and extra polish off half back (sort of day surgery level improvements) is think we'd be up to our eyeballs in it.

It was small margins that cost us this year. We got smashed 3 times (all with potential caveats if you wanted to go there), but otherwise put up very good fights consistently.

Statements like "most are happy to just ride the gravy train" seriously is just shooting from the hip and has no actual substance or even basis in reality.

One Benefit of being a WA team no one gives a toss in the VFL media.

Longmuir only had the WA mafia to deal with.
Tbh, with the absolute insane way they cranked it up on Simpson... clearly the WA media doesn't really care about Freo either. For that alone I do hope Simpson gets a gig with Freo so he can stick it to them.

Could be that or maybe something else he hasn't straightened out. But his history at Gold Coast was also starved of opportunity at AFL level.
Weren’t you the bloke who always thought Henry could do no wrong?

Anyway Because yeah GC have/are such a beacon in the AFL landscape for player development and good football practice

I’m far from Brodie fan but if there was one position that was still open to taking advantage of his strengths ,sub is it.
Not forgetting either Jlo use of the sub has on the general been very poor

Weren’t you the bloke who always thought Henry could do no wrong?

Anyway Because yeah GC have/are such a beacon in the AFL landscape for player development and good football practice

I’m far from Brodie fan but if there was one position that was still open to taking advantage of his strengths ,sub is it.
Not forgetting either Jlo use of the sub has on the general been very poor
If you interpret "a young player with a history of injury disruptions in development" as "do no wrong" I can't help ya.

What Brodie's history suggests is a pattern. Sure we can bag Gold Coast, but all that does is provide a distraction. Not being in the inside I'm not sure the exact ins and outs of what is holding Brodie back here. His propensity to turn it over has reportedly been a concern.

I'm not sure Brodie had the best attributes I'd look for in a sub, but essentially I'm a neutral in terms of him being up to standard or not. I would love him to be fwiw.

Perfectly happy to examine specific games of his (time willing) to see the evidence either way.

So you'd think there's likely something about his game the coaches figure produces a sum negative, either short or long term, if they play him.

His turnovers were one issue for him.

We all know his deficiencies, lack of tank and defensive pressure, especially on transition, I’d rate him equal to Fyfe in that regard, Fyfe is a slightly bigger body and has more inside nous, however if Fyfe is missing Brodie is absolutely the next best we have at that role. If we wanted to use the sub as an impact role, I’d be subbing Fyfe out and Brodie in at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd quarter every game. It removes his biggest weakness which is the lack of tank, probably means Fyfe can go harder while he’s on the ground as well.

We all know his deficiencies, lack of tank and defensive pressure, especially on transition, I’d rate him equal to Fyfe in that regard, Fyfe is a slightly bigger body and has more inside nous, however if Fyfe is missing Brodie is absolutely the next best we have at that role. If we wanted to use the sub as an impact role, I’d be subbing Fyfe out and Brodie in at the 20 minute mark of the 3rd quarter every game. It removes his biggest weakness which is the lack of tank, probably means Fyfe can go harder while he’s on the ground as well.
Hopefully it is relatively fine margins he can cover across this off season. It's much better if we have access to what Brodie brought to the team in early-mid '22 than not. The clock is running.

I would suggest he changed the game against GC coming on as sub in 2023 at gather round.
Just watched it and I'd say that is a very generous take. He did ok here and there, but really he had about 5 influential involvements max.

Brodie came on when we were 5pts down early-mid 2nd QTR and went off 4 mins to go in the last when we were about 10pts up.

He played mostly a negating role (Rowell, Anderson & Miller variously). Had a few unforced turnovers and a few almost anonymous link ups in chains of play. Probably came most into his own at the mid point of the last quarter (you could argue when everyone else was tiring), and stood up in some good moments.

Was well behind Walters, Darcy, Schultz, Jackson and Serong for influence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His kicking efficiency or lack of at Peei is still evident, cant fault effort and attitude but he just dosent hurt the opposition with ball in hand

Also cant play forward as poor overhead mark for his height

Suggest trade him if any other team shows an interest, but unlikely He is just a good WAFL or VFL player

His kicking efficiency or lack of at Peei is still evident, cant fault effort and attitude but he just dosent hurt the opposition with ball in hand

Also cant play forward as poor overhead mark for his height

Suggest trade him if any other team shows an interest, but unlikely He is just a good WAFL or VFL player
Fyfe can’t kick either, there was some ridiculous stat that when Brodie had 40+ disposals, 35 were handballs, if you’re at the coalface dishing the ball out to runners, you don’t need to kick. FWIW he kicked an awesome goal earlier in the year, breaking from centre square, big fend off, then dobbing it from 50.

One player being selected or not, particularly at the level of player being discussed does not win or lose you games.
Playing Brodie or Erasmus over JOM for example makes no difference at all.

Brodie was influential in that win, you can argue the semantics of where he ranked among other players but there's no doubt he helped us win.

He then played two more games and hasn't been seen at AFL level in 18 months. Despite being extremely consistent at WAFL level. Despite a 2022 campaign where he was clearly influential in our 16 wins - polling Brownlow votes in seven individual games. I'm sorry but you're not going to convince some of us that he's suddenly a shit player or his limitations now are any different to what they were in 2022.

It's straight up bizarre that we haven't given him a chance, in the two struggling seasons since.

Yeah this is it in a nutshell, if JL is willing to let Fyfe run around and not do anything defensively then why wouldn't Brodie replace him when he's not available? Instead we got Erasmus trying to tag Merrett.. #slapsforehead

Brodie was influential in that win, you can argue the semantics of where he ranked among other players but there's no doubt he helped us win.

He then played two more games and hasn't been seen at AFL level in 18 months. Despite being extremely consistent at WAFL level. Despite a 2022 campaign where he was clearly influential in our 16 wins - polling Brownlow votes in seven individual games. I'm sorry but you're not going to convince some of us that he's suddenly a shit player or his limitations now are any different to what they were in 2022.

It's straight up bizarre that we haven't given him a chance, in the two struggling seasons since.
dont think its that strange considering our midfield has been the number 1 clearance team in the league this year which is pretty much brodies one wood. what would he bring to improve our game outside of winning clearances? would he defensively put a stop to some run ons? would he be useful in transition? would he be able to pick out a kick i50?

Semantics? I mean he played a role and if that equates to "helping us win", then yeah, you could say that.

But he realistically wouldn't figure in the top 10 Freo players in that game (ie in terms of helping us win, he was way down the list... generously I failed to mention in my initial list Brayshaw, Sturt, Young, Clark & Ryan playing much more influential games/moments). I think the semantics game is on the other foot.

Especially as the initial point was him not really shifting the needle post late-'22 and those pinpointing this game as where he did.

He held up is what I would say.

If somebody wants to construct a list of his specific involvements that were above and beyond it might add to the case. But vague "Yeah, nah, I think he did" ain't really cutting it in the rational argument stakes.

dont think its that strange considering our midfield has been the number 1 clearance team in the league this year which is pretty much brodies one wood. what would he bring to improve our game outside of winning clearances? would he defensively put a stop to some run ons? would he be useful in transition? would he be able to pick out a kick i50?

We played Matt Johnson as an inside player for the bulk of the year, as we did Fyfe. From what I've seen of Brodie at AFL level, I'd have him above current Fyfe and Johnno.

But I'm not overly fussed on forcing him in as a mainstay based on 2024 and the strength of our clearance game and the way the midfield was travelling for the bulk of the year, but when Johnno and Fyfe both missed games for various reasons he was an obvious callup, and could have helped us win with the Essendon game being front of mind first and foremost.

And I'd seriously consider him replacing an aging Fyfe in that inside role for 2025 rather than giving up on him in the trade period. Each of those questions you asked could be put about Fyfe. It's just weird that Brodie hasn't been given a chance, at all, even when opportunities arose, despite showing how valuable he was in our only good year in the last 8.

We played Matt Johnson as an inside player for the bulk of the year, as we did Fyfe. From what I've seen of Brodie at AFL level, I'd have him above current Fyfe and Johnno.

But I'm not overly fussed on forcing him in as a mainstay based on 2024 and the strength of our clearance game and the way the midfield was travelling for the bulk of the year, but when Johnno and Fyfe both missed games for various reasons he was an obvious callup, and could have helped us win with the Essendon game being front of mind first and foremost.

And I'd seriously consider him replacing an aging Fyfe in that inside role for 2025 rather than giving up on him in the trade period. Each of those questions you asked could be put about Fyfe.
ill play johnson ahead of brodie every single day, no problems with that call at all. MJ could become an elite player and already has more versatility than brodie

yeh fyfes form is worrying and i wouldnt have been against dropping him but im sure he brings with him some unquantifiable which maybe justify his inclusion. but again this weird obsession with brodie, hes not the answer and ive no issue with him not playing in a midfield with serong, young and brayshaw aleady taking 80% of mid time

You realise by actually getting the ball first you stop teams getting a run on?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Justin Longmuir Pt 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back