Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why we need a committee. It’s Longmuir or bust. A Freo guy, exactly what we need
Voss has shown he can’t coach- damaged goods.
Ratten is no way
Mick Malthouse would be in the same boat as Voss when he was at the Bulldogs, except the Eagles wanted an Victorian
coach.
Unfortunately Vossy did the same as Neesham and had no prior experience at AFL level.
Its like saying Ron Alexander couldn't coach, due to the circumstances, and I think the same with John Todd.
AFL experience in the top job shouldn't be discarded, and if we do go a first time coach again, then a mentor is required.
Plenty of other clubs have two guys in the box with experience regardless of wins/loss ratio and I believe it adds rather than
subtracts.
It should of been Ross in a mentoring role, or the option explored, instead of Roman policies and watching Rome burn.

Mick Malthouse would be in the same boat as Voss when he was at the Bulldogs, except the Eagles wanted an Victorian
coach.
Unfortunately Vossy did the same as Neesham and had no prior experience at AFL level.
Its like saying Ron Alexander couldn't coach, due to the circumstances, and I think the same with John Todd.
AFL experience in the top job shouldn't be discarded, and if we do go a first time coach again, then a mentor is required.
Plenty of other clubs have two guys in the box with experience regardless of wins/loss ratio and I believe it adds rather than
subtracts.
It should of been Ross in a mentoring role, or the option explored, instead of Roman policies and watching Rome burn.

I didn’t want Lyon gone.
But I don’t think it would have been possible to retain him in a mentoring role. The new coach will need clean air. I would be happy for another ex senior coach to be a mentor.

If we were to go with JLo or another inexperienced coach, who would be the top of everyones list to be senior assistant/ mentor?

I don't like Malthouse much but he is right in that an experience coach can be distracted by peripheral stuff at a club, and could use support, to allow them to focus on whats important.
Would any of the experience candidates want to play second fiddle?

coach.
subtracts.
Success is built on "failure". You could even chuck a Steve Jobs reference there if you were keen.

From a distance it seemed that Voss got over-excited by the prospect of a big talent full forward and sold the farm at the end of his first year (also add to the fact there was probably reduced voices of concern elsewhere in the footy department owing to his legend status at the club) and his coaching tenure was hobbled too heavily so early in its development. Had it not been for the Fevolution effect, he may have had a much better time of it at the Lions.

Brisbane got 13 H&A wins and a finals victory in his first year and were within sniffing distance of the finals in his last year or two, so it's not as though his head coaching career was an abject failure either.

Lots of coaches are better second time round after a bit of a break from their first stint. Two most prominent examples are Blight and Matthews.

You would want Summa over Voss?

Did I say that?

But actually yes I would, at least Sumich has actually achieved something as a coach. Sticking with Ross would’ve been better than either of them imo.

If you’re going to give someone the flick, you need to then replace them with someone better otherwise you’ve wasted your time and the whole thing would be a pointless exercise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were to go with JLo or another inexperienced coach, who would be the top of everyones list to be senior assistant/ mentor?

I don't like Malthouse much but he is right in that an experience coach can be distracted by peripheral stuff at a club, and could use support, to allow them to focus on whats important.
Would any of the experience candidates want to play second fiddle?

Guys like:

Peter Sumich
Jarrod Schofield
Jamie Graham

Keep Mzungu and Hayden.

Don't be surprised to see John Worsfold in as a Director of Coaching/Mentor or something along those lines.

I actually liked Ross with the media...didn't suffer fools and was erduite in handling leading questions and inferences. Odd thing to bash him for really.
Depends on what you admire. I didn't admire or respect the way he went about things at all. He contradicted himself constantly and when questioned about his inconsistencies became defensive and belligerent and tried to humiliate the questioner by trying to baffle them with bulls**t. Most of the time he was the fool that everyone has to not suffer. Rudeness isn't strength, not in my book, anyway.

Depends on what you admire. I didn't admire or respect the way he went about things at all. He contradicted himself constantly and when questioned about his inconsistencies became defensive and belligerent and tried to humiliate the questioner by trying to baffle them with bulls**t. Most of the time he was the fool that everyone has to not suffer. Rudeness isn't strength, not in my book, anyway.

See I often considered the media as the rude party more often with a leading question about his style for the umpteenth time or, towards the last year of his tenure, about his viability as coach. I'm not sure how you would've preferred him handle things. His strength was in neither giving an inch nor a headline. He drew focus from the players by doing so. Sort of Wayne Bennett like really (although he not really in the same league but definitely playing the same game).

I think this may be a difference of perception though and I'm not exactly going to rush to the defence of Ross in any other aspect any time soon so it's probably not worth persuing on my part

You probably need to review some of your posting over the past couple of months if this is the case.

See I often considered the media as the rude party more often with a leading question about his style for the umpteenth time or, towards the last year of his tenure, about his viability as coach. I'm not sure how you would've preferred him handle things. His strength was in neither giving an inch nor a headline. He drew focus from the players by doing so. Sort of Wayne Bennett like really (although he not really in the same league but definitely playing the same game).

I think this may be a difference of perception though and I'm not exactly going to rush to the defence of Ross in any other aspect any time soon so it's probably not worth persuing on my part
I think questions about our skill level were reasonable, not rude, considering we looked like little league most of the time and we were supposed to be a professional unit. The fact that he wasn't prepared to make any concessions in that area suggests stubbornness, not strength. Ross hung the players out to dry often, when it suited him.

You probably need to review some of your posting over the past couple of months if this is the case.
The stench one was rude, I concede that. Most of the rest would just be saying things as I see them. You need to look at the cherry picking you have used to whitewash a situation to suit yourself. Alcock said he made the change so people can have a nice place to work and so the club can attract quality people into the football department. Fyfe said he wants the next coach to be someone who can bring the whole list along with him. Nick Reiwolt said some people would be sad about Ross's sacking and others would be glad he is gone. Duffield in the media was very supportive of Ross mainly, so he wasn't being victimised by all of the Perth media. I would rather look honestly at the whole picture, not try and manufacture a fake utopia. I'm sure the club didn't fork out a million bucks and sack a coach and CEO because 6 pr made them do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back