Coach Justin Longmuir

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any coach who continues to lose first quarters has got a problem that needs solving asp.

Then again our recent trend has been to restrict the scoring of some pretty good teams (excluding the derby as WC are rubbish)

Some aspects of JL's coaching can be good and others frustratingly bad.
lol what?

So, the JL hate has spilled over into just making up random lies.

Here are the last 3 games: Freo literally have won all 3 1st quarters.

1692653526927.png 1692653595865.png 1692653645676.png

lol what?

So, the JL hate has spilled over into just making up random lies.

Here are the last 3 games: Freo literally have won all 3 1st quarters.

View attachment 1781898View attachment 1781903View attachment 1781906
We have lost about 18 first quarters this season so it’s clearly an issue, though some recent signs are encouraging.
I don’t think there’s any denying that it’s a problem. There is also the asterisk that these end of season games are kinda junk time games, in the context of the year as a whole. When the whips were cracking and there was something at stake earlier in the year we were found wanting. We have been playing for pride for the last month really.

Look, he’s safe for now but come round 1 next year JL is one of the most under pressure coaches in the comp as far as I’m concerned.
We would need to be 7-3 after the first ten games for him to keep the wolves from the door.
However, a repeat of this year where finals were gone by May and we were sitting at 2-5?
The shows over, he will be toast.

We have lost about 18 first quarters this season so it’s clearly an issue, though some recent signs are encouraging.
I don’t think there’s any denying that it’s a problem. There is also the asterisk that these end of season games are kinda junk time games, in the context of the year as a whole. When the whips were cracking and there was something at stake earlier in the year we were found wanting. We have been playing for pride for the last month really.

Look, he’s safe for now but come round 1 next year JL is one of the most under pressure coaches in the comp as far as I’m concerned.
We would need to be 7-3 after the first ten games for him to keep the wolves from the door.
However, a repeat of this year where finals were gone by May and we were sitting at 2-5?
The shows over, he will be toast.
What’s the point in being good enough? This club started a rebuild in 2017 to
win a flag.
We have been teased by 2022, but I want to see a rise similar to the Dees.
That club has a hard edge with player management, and the guts to move on
players that don’t fit in with their plans, or buy in long term.

Did anyone watch JL on the news last night in his weekly interview. Absolute cringe worthy. He was asked about what the pre-season would look to achieve and he really babbled some useless non-sensical stuff without getting close to answering the question. I felt embarrassed for him. There was no pointed, critical answer. I'm not saying he has to give away secrets but gee it was embarrassing. He's so uninspiring which was always my concern from when he was appointed. Sadly he's a dull boring character and has our team playing, dull boring footy. I'm fearful our young talent is being wasted under him. JL is probably an amazing assistant but doesn't cut it for me as a senior coach.

If this is the club's idea of inspiring leadership we're doomed

Last edited:
Just had a little rant about Jlo on the media thread. He still doesn’t realise our slow ball movement is what disrupts our i50s. When we’ve been frantic is when we win! We go slow, numbers get back, defences set up and force our marking targets to go wide.

He is so conservative to the point where he hates seeing the ball being turned over in transition between the two arcs..that it’s a floodfest by the time we get it there.

There are so many games during the year when we’ve been out of it and then as soon as the shackles are off and we go fast/frantic to get the ball down there we score quickly!

We have a fairly talented and speedy list. Hopefully it’s not wasted.

Still hate how we selected him as our coach and who we interviewed.

Jlo - Former player
Suma - Former Assistant
Solomon - Former Player
Carr - Former player

Voss - Had an interview lined up but realised Freo had already made their minds up it was going to be Jlo. He then backed out.

We interviewed 4 Individuals with a previous link to the club. That’s thinking pretty small. Think big Freo!! Eagles weren’t thinking small when they hired Malthouse/Simmo. There are plenty of candidates out there who would’ve loved to coach our club. Unfortunately we were only looking at candidates who had a prior connection for some reason??? Think big and find the right candidate next time regardless what state they are from.

Still hate how we selected him as our coach and who we interviewed.

Jlo - Former player
Suma - Former Assistant
Solomon - Former Player
Carr - Former player

Voss - Had an interview lined up but realised Freo had already made their minds up it was going to be Jlo. He then backed out.

We interviewed 4 Individuals with a previous link to the club. That’s thinking pretty small. Think big Freo!! Eagles weren’t thinking small when they hired Malthouse/Simmo. There are plenty of candidates out there who would’ve loved to coach our club. Unfortunately we were only looking at candidates who had a prior connection for some reason??? Think big and find the right candidate next time regardless what state they are from.
The whole thing seemed dodgy.

Interviewing Sumich at all when he hadn't even been doing any assistant coaching at AFL level since we sacked him years prior is an indictment. His resume should've been put aside as soon it came in.

Interesting article at the time about who we actually interviewed. The end of it actually asks why were only Fremantle people interviewed?

Yeah, very dodgy.
Yeah never liked it and maybe Voss wasn’t the right guy for us but I was keen for us to at least interview one outsider.

Yeah never liked it and maybe Voss wasn’t the right guy for us but I was keen for us to at least interview one outsider.
I swear I remember reading that we interviewed someone else who apparently came close to getting the job, think it was Jade Rawlings, but he ended up getting fired from North Melbourne a year later as assistant coach. But I can't find an article for it.

I wonder if we looked into Voss, Matthew Nicks or even Craig McRae?

Interesting article at the time about who we actually interviewed. The end of it actually asks why were only Fremantle people interviewed?

Yeah, very dodgy.
I know we are all frustrated but he deserves to see the year out. Surround him with some proper assistants and you never know how far we might go. Hinkley is an average coach but he has some great assistants around him.

I swear I remember reading that we interviewed someone else who apparently came close to getting the job, think it was Jade Rawlings, but he ended up getting fired from North Melbourne a year later as assistant coach. But I can't find an article for it.

I wonder if we looked into Voss, Matthew Nicks or even Craig McRae?
Yeah I think we did interview Rawlings and he came a close second?? He came late in the process?? Probably should of hired him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I think we did interview Rawlings and he came a close second?? He came late in the process?? Probably should of hired him.
I think Pike is the best replacement for JLo if we need to go down that route. Only problem is that Eagles will be probably take him before us.

Let's jump on the coaching revolving door... yay

charlie doors GIF

I think Pike is the best replacement for JLo if we need to go down that route. Only problem is that Eagles will be probably take him before us.
As long as eagle fans are still yelling on tv and the players on tv yelling they love Simmo…we may be a sneaky chance if we go now.

The whole thing seemed dodgy.

Interviewing Sumich at all when he hadn't even been doing any assistant coaching at AFL level since we sacked him years prior is an indictment. His resume should've been put aside as soon it came in.
Interviewing Sumich at all when he's an absolute peanut is an indictment on the club.

We've become a boys club - old players from a club who've never achieved anything scratching each others backs. Bell didnt like Ross Lyon (our best coach to date) and so sacked him to bring an old buddy in.

More than Dodgy - corrupt is the word

JLo can stay, but only if we bring in someone strong to support him as a senior assistant and/or Footy Manager. As we stand, we're a nothing coaching group - inexperienced, no charisma, uninspiring etc etc etc

You must be content with out game style and coughs results.
No, this year has been disappointing.

But to think that suddenly sacking the coach and expecting everything to be rosy again is short term thinking at its best.

We all know the demographic of our list and how it's going to need some time to mature. Sacking the coach doesn't help with that.

It doesn't mean JL has a pass forever, it just means he should be given next year to further develop this group. I remember supporters of Richmond and Melbourne having similar thoughts to you before experiencing recent success and Freo supporters have as much reason as anyone to get a bit impatient and want results now, not tomorrow.

We have some ripping young players, but they need a bit more time. They also need stability and a solid foundation around them to reach their potential.

Lastly, sacking coaches is easy, but finding really good replacements is a lot harder, and to me, there doesn't seem to be a clear leading candidate that would be worth the risk.

No, this year has been disappointing.

But to think that suddenly sacking the coach and expecting everything to be rosy again is short term thinking at its best.

We all know the demographic of our list and how it's going to need some time to mature. Sacking the coach doesn't help with that.

It doesn't mean JL has a pass forever, it just means he should be given next year to further develop this group. I remember supporters of Richmond and Melbourne having similar thoughts to you before experiencing recent success and Freo supporters have as much reason as anyone to get a bit impatient and want results now, not tomorrow.

We have some ripping young players, but they need a bit more time. They also need stability and a solid foundation around them to reach their potential.

Lastly, sacking coaches is easy, but finding really good replacements is a lot harder, and to me, there doesn't seem to be a clear leading candidate that would be worth the risk.
I don’t see him being sacked this year but would like for us to appoint a senior assistant who’s experienced and keeps Jlo on his toes.

I Loved the way we went into the 2013 finals .Ross had a hard edge on all the players.I just can't see us mentally getting to that same hardness with a coach that is better suited putting an arm around someone.I hope i am wrong but there's to many on our list that get an easy run and nobody's going to kick their arse.I Like the way Adam Kingsley has gone about the task with GWS,Leon Cameron seemed ok but he could never get the chocolate.A good coach is a prority to making finals

I Loved the way we went into the 2013 finals .Ross had a hard edge on all the players.I just can't see us mentally getting to that same hardness with a coach that is better suited putting an arm around someone.I hope i am wrong but there's to many on our list that get an easy run and nobody's going to kick their arse.I Like the way Adam Kingsley has gone about the task with GWS,Leon Cameron seemed ok but he could never get the chocolate.A good coach is a prority to making finals
Great post and I agree there’s a few who will thrive with a hard coach.

I don’t see him being sacked this year but would like for us to appoint a senior assistant who’s experienced and keeps Jlo on his toes.
This is a catch 22 though, look at Port Adelaide as an example, you bring in a good assistant (Carr) who you think will be a successor for the current coach, get an instant jump up the ladder and the incumbent coach gets the plaudits and a contract extension.
I’d love the instant jump in success but it means you lot wanting JLo gone will be stuck with him for longer.
FWIW I am hoping JLo’s one takeaway from this year is to be more open to suggestions from his assistants (Corey asking for young in the middle weeks before it happened) and Players (Switta making suggestions for more attacking game plans but being knocked back). It’s the only way we’ll know if they (assistant coaches) are any good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back