Kangaroos List V BuLLDogs List

Remove this Banner Ad

doggies said:
what a stupid thread
we beat the kangas twice in 2004...enough said.

Peanut.

We beat Port by 95 points, and I reckon they are a fair bit better than us.

OldSchool said:
It's a good thread that has unfortunately been derailed.

Indeed.

I think your the only Dog here that is not in need of some tissues. I would have thought it's a pretty tame subject.

The_Flying_Egg said:
Why??? Do you know a lot about him do you? You haven't seen Griffen or Smith play but you know enough about Williams to know its a mistake?? Im gonna trust Clayton's judgement over yours. He's not gonna be playing this year, but we don't need him too. We're not expecting instant success

What would have ********ed me off is trading our top 2 picks for an inconsistent, seemingly past his best forward, when we should be rebuilding. I know we got Rawlings the year before but he is a better player, we still had 2 early picks, and as has been mentioned key positions was more of a problem area for us.

Lie down before you hurt yourself.

I said it was risky, not wrong. I said taking a risk like that would have ********ed me off if I was a bulldog fan. With number 6, I would not like North to take a punt on a kid who had played footballer for 5 minutes. We picked Moran at 58, who is apparently a stupendous athlete, and I am far from convinced he will be anything but a good news story.

Is that ok..?

NorthBhoy said:

I said it was risky, not wrong. I said taking a risk like that would have ********ed me off if I was a bulldog fan. With number 6, I would not like North to take a punt on a kid who had played footballer for 5 minutes. We picked Moran at 58, who is apparently a stupendous athlete, and I am far from convinced he will be anything but a good news story.

Is that ok..?

I will use your words....

TIME WILL TELL!

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
I was talking about Nathan Thompson. Now that is a massive RISK!

You not well, but I shall humour you.

Big risk. We gave up highish picks for a bloke who will be huge, either way. A massive flop or a massive success. It was done with thought though. We don't have enough middle aged, experienced footballers. We don't have any middle aged KP players. We don't have a KP player who can break open a game in 2005. We have a few who will be able to do this in 2006 and beyond, and one who used to be capable of this.

It was a risk, IMO we payed too much, but he can play and might just be the difference in important games.

NorthBhoy said:
I would have thought it's a pretty tame subject.
It should be but it's hard to have a decent discussion when people take what is essentially a difference of opinion so personally.

Of course both groups think their list is better, thats what we should be discussing not all the other rot about how viable each club is etc.

Both lists are crap....how about that :cool:

I think the bulldogs offer more scope for improvement over the next few years though.

OldSchool said:
It should be but it's hard to have a decent discussion when people take what is essentially a difference of opinion so personally.

Of course both groups think their list is better, thats what we should be discussing not all the other rot about how viable each club is etc.

It would be sensible to ignore them all, but hell, it is so damn fun watching morons whip themselves into a frenzy.

NorthBhoy said:
You not well, but I shall humour you.

Big risk. We gave up highish picks for a bloke who will be huge, either way. A massive flop or a massive success. It was done with thought though. We don't have enough middle aged, experienced footballers. We don't have any middle aged KP players. We don't have a KP player who can break open a game in 2005. We have a few who will be able to do this in 2006 and beyond, and one who used to be capable of this.

It was a risk, IMO we payed too much, but he can play and might just be the difference in important games.

The biggest risk is his state of mind. I don't mean to make light of his condition but depression is very serious and you don't just get over it. I am sure the Roos got all the best advise but I am calling it risky. Depression isn't like a hamstring tear. Given the very public admission to his condition last year i would have thought it was too bid a risk. If he comes through the other side and plays anywhere near his best he'll be good. If not the Roos have looked for a short term gain and lost a longer term prospect.

As for Williams, he is good at everything he has tried his hand at. That alone says it is a good move and it is only one pick not two.

I will be hoping Nathan kicks on this year but hardly shocker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NorthBhoy said:

Is that ok..?

Thats fine. All I thought I was doing was disagreeing, but if I sounded like a ******** Im sorry

The_Flying_Egg said:
Thats fine. All I thought I was doing was disagreeing, but if I sounded like a ******** Im sorry

Don't apoligise.

And yeah, I probably jumped the gun on him having not seen him play at all. Blokes like these just seem to good to be true, and I will never be convinced that athletes who have to learn the game can be anything more than explosive, once a month types.

It's like Brad Moran. He broke Koops' draft camp record for the sprint, and is 200 cm's. That is ridiculous. I got sucked in, and was thinking silly things. Problem is he has played 15 games ALL UP, and has only been in the country for a few years. It will take a huge effort for him to even play AFL footy IMO.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
The biggest risk is his state of mind. I don't mean to make light of his condition but depression is very serious and you don't just get over it. I am sure the Roos got all the best advise but I am calling it risky. Depression isn't like a hamstring tear. Given the very public admission to his condition last year i would have thought it was too bid a risk. If he comes through the other side and plays anywhere near his best he'll be good. If not the Roos have looked for a short term gain and lost a longer term prospect.

While I agree that we probably paid a little over the top for him I think the decision was based on the fact that we got Jesse W Smith for a bargain.

Smith and Thompson for picks 1,2 & 3 doesn't seem too bad.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
As for Williams, he is good at everything he has tried his hand at. That alone says it is a good move and it is only one pick not two.

but it was an awfully high pick and certainly surprised everyone. Sometimes when your picks are so good you probably should play it with a straight bat. 50+ picks are where you should try and get a little fancy.

Remember you got Tim Walsh pick which surprised everyone and that means you have gave up the opportunity to pick up Salopek, Brennan, Mackie, Schammer, or Bell.

20/20 hindsite and all that but Salopek was the straight bat option and as it turns out I don't think too many people would be picking Walsh over him, regardless of how much you needed to fill a position.

Ipaidmy200in89 said:
I will be hoping Nathan kicks on this year but hardly shocker

Hopefully a change of scenary will do him the world of good.

The reason people see more potential in the Dogs is because pretty much all of their youngsters have played 5+ of league footy

The roos still have-Trotter-Y2D
Grima-2 Games
Urch 2 Games
McIntosh-Y2D
Shore-Y2D
Perry-Y2D

plus a few more....

forget the newbies and veterans and concentrate on the players with 50->100 games to their name. These are the players that will decide the success of the clubs over the next 2 years.

For the doggies, these players are:

Patrick Bowden
Daniel Cross
Daniel Giansiracusa
Mitch Hahn
Ryan Hargreave
Brian Harris
Rober Murphy
Sam Power
Jordan MacMahon

Theres a bit of talent there, I hope it is just waiting to be harnessed effectively to become realized. But there is only 1 true tall in that list (Harris) and 2 mediums (Hargreave and Bowden). The rest are midfielders and flankers.

Dunno what the equivialnt north list looks like, but its probably more balanced.

The_Flying_Egg said:
Smith was an AA as recently as 2003. That was possibly his best season ever. He also had a good 2004, getting 392 disposals in 21 games as a half back. Thats 57 more than Brent Harvey.

And your right he's not a midfielder. That makes his 20 touches a game even more impressive

Umm...Brent Harvey was injured this year and way out of form....so considering ths.....57 aint that much....

Wells
Harris
Motlop
Petrie
Jesse.W.Smith
Hale
McIntosh
Leigh Brown
Grima

Now thats pretty good...

To say that Norths midfeild has less depth to it than the Bulldog's is ludacris. Apart from Grant, Harvey and Simpson, we have Wells (voted best young player by the coahes), Harris (the most productive player in the league in 04 for minutes spent on the ground), Rawlings (one of, if not the premier tagger in the league), then we have a host of young guys that show potential but the jury is still out on. These include Grima (2 games), Firrito (earned a rising star nomination). In addition to that we have guys that can be rotated through the middle such as Troy Makepeace (severly underated), corey jones, daniel motlop etc. In addition to these players we have 2 top 10 draft picks that could be anything (Trotter, Smith).
Apparently we dont have any small fowards either. Daniel Motlop kicked over 30 goals this year and he's played about 40 games, leigh harding, whilst inconsistent has kicked over thirty on 2 occasions, as well as brent harvey who can rest foward.
The place i firmly believe North ******** over the Bulldogs is in the KP's. We have Brown, Petrie, Thompson, Watt who are all established players, Sav and Colbert (had his best season for North last year) are very useful all be it at the later stages of their carrer. In addition to 2 top 10 picks in Hale and McIntosh who are both over 200 cm and can go foward (both could be guns, both could never make it).
Every year North get underated, every year we suprise then cop the same old ******** the next year. Bulldogs are a team that i have the up most respect for, they are battlers like us and have to fight for everything they get. Hopefully both teams have a succesful year. But mark this down right now, North will make the 8 in 2005.

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangaroos List V BuLLDogs List

Remove this Banner Ad

Back