Keep pick 5

Remove this Banner Ad

You idiot Sheehan, there is no point in Collingwood trying to trade early draft picks for an established player unless he will continue to be a genuine superstar for at LEAST 5 or 6 years. Collingwood's list at the moment just will not allow them to be realistic Prelim final contenders, let alone the flag, for a handful of years. So trading to get one or two good recycled players now is a futile exercise since all it is likely to do is give them 6-10th spot at best.

You probably disagree that your list is that bad, but why else would Eddie be masterminding this massive post-season shake up? Anyway, any team that contains at least one Cloke other than Travis, a couple of Shaws, Ben Johnson, O'Bree, Woewodin, Neon Leon and Cole simply will lose more than it wins. At least the Pies have started well by getting rid of McGough last year.

Bear in mind that when Collingwood DO finally have a shot at the flag it will be without Buckley, Rocca, Wakelin, Burns (who is useless now anyway) and maybe Tarrant, given the fact Eddie will send him packing next time he smacks out Bucks. So the only course of action for the Pies is to draft early, young, genuinely promising kids to be around in 6+ years. Collingwood would be a great club to go to so there isn't much chance of an early pick wanting to go home or whatever. A Clarkson-esque strategy is what's required; if you disagree then just wait 2 or 3 years when the Hawks and like-minded Doggies are owning the AFL.

MarkT said:
Just how good do you think a player at pick 5 will be? Luke Power is a gun premiership defender, a gun premiership forward and a gun premiership midfielder. He is as hard and brave as Scott Burns and as skilful as anyone on our list possibly bar Buckley and potentially Didak. He has good pace and, importantly, a good brain. Unless there is a Judd and he will last until pick 5 or unless the club recons it can confidently pick out a Dal Santo or Black then pick 5 for Power is a good deal. 5 Years is plenty but he’ll potentially have a couple more than that. We need midfielders. We need pace, skill and hardness. We need winners. Where else can we improve so many areas of need than with Luke Power? He fits right in with our leadership needs and he slots right into our premiership horizon.

Hear Hear, Couldn't have said it any better. I was wondering when the voice of reason would re-appear.

Power is a player with some geniune courage and would lead by example for atleast five years. It would also be nice to have a player of his calibre and age group at the club. He is a ball magnet who knows what to do with it.

rubbers0ul said:
You idiot Sheehan, there is no point in Collingwood trying to trade early draft picks for an established player unless he will continue to be a genuine superstar for at LEAST 5 or 6 years. Collingwood's list at the moment just will not allow them to be realistic Prelim final contenders, let alone the flag, for a handful of years. So trading to get one or two good recycled players now is a futile exercise since all it is likely to do is give them 6-10th spot at best.

You probably disagree that your list is that bad, but why else would Eddie be masterminding this massive post-season shake up? Anyway, any team that contains at least one Cloke other than Travis, a couple of Shaws, Ben Johnson, O'Bree, Woewodin, Neon Leon and Cole simply will lose more than it wins. At least the Pies have started well by getting rid of McGough last year.

Bear in mind that when Collingwood DO finally have a shot at the flag it will be without Buckley, Rocca, Wakelin, Burns (who is useless now anyway) and maybe Tarrant, given the fact Eddie will send him packing next time he smacks out Bucks. So the only course of action for the Pies is to draft early, young, genuinely promising kids to be around in 6+ years. Collingwood would be a great club to go to so there isn't much chance of an early pick wanting to go home or whatever. A Clarkson-esque strategy is what's required; if you disagree then just wait 2 or 3 years when the Hawks and like-minded Doggies are owning the AFL.

Firstly, Luke Power would give us 5-6 years. Secondly, if we had no injuries next year we would be a shot at the flag. We came form a long way back the first time we made the Grand Finals, and in both years we were lucky with injuries. If Sydney nexy year have the same run of injuries as we had this year they wouldn't have a hope of even getting near the finals.

Collingwood isn't coming from the same position as Hawthorn. We've done the Clarkson strategy before. That's given us the base that we already have. We don't need to do it again. In our last couple of games this year, we had 10 players on the park who hadn't played more than 10 games. So in summary, I disagree with your assesment of our list. We'll only know who's right and wrong at the end of next year, obviously.

Thirdly, why is Eddie doing a shake-up of the football department? Because there are clearly deficiencies in the football department, particularly the recruitement. Every organisation has to do this. Sydney would be reviewing their football department too, it's just that Collingwood's more interesting to talk about.

you idiot sheehan said:
Thirdly, why is Eddie doing a shake-up of the football department?
Is he though? I keep hearing additions without deletions. So what I take from this is we have failed, we have a review, we need changes but no one has failed individually. It isn't a review it is appeasement until proven otherwise.

For the sake of comparison, I'd just like to point out a comparison that my brother and I stumbled upon while discussing getting Power:

Luke Power is the same age now as Nathan Brown was when Richmond got him two years ago.

That move did a lot of good for Richmond...

MarkT said:
Is he though? I keep hearing additions without deletions. So what I take from this is we have failed, we have a review, we need changes but no one has failed individually. It isn't a review it is appeasement until proven otherwise.
Nobody we have is a bad coach, IMO, but some of them can't handle everything they're given. Gavin Brown is a good assistant, but I don't think it's fair to put him in charge of the forward line as well, so we bring in Wayne Carey part time to help with that.

Likewise, Brad Gotch is probably a good coach for Williamstown as a football team, but strictly in terms of player development for Collingwood, he has been sub-par, so we brought in Alan Richardson to help with player development.

I still think we'll see one or two gone, Adrian Fletcher for one - the midfield has been our weakest area, and he is the midfield coach. However, I don't think a witchhunt was in order. We've added help in areas where we have been weak, and that's enough for now.

robert shaw, daicos and SOS soon.
we already have alan richardson, wayne carey and craig starchevich
eddy and mm know what they're doing this time around, have faith like all faithful supporters, i see a difference this time around. GO PIES

and michael malthouse is still one of the most intellectual coaches in the AFL and can improve our list better then anyone available

keep pick 2
offer brisbane pick 5 for power,
offer geelong woewoden or cole + pick 21 for bartel?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was West Coast there is absolutely no way I would get rid of Kerr. He might win Grand Finals for you that guy one day. Would you swap him for 2 pretty-goods and a maybe? Awesome players in their prime just don't get traded off too often.

Remove this Banner Ad

Keep pick 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back