Ken Hinkley has a better win % than Damien Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure Hardwick would trade his three premierships for a higher win percentage.
Neil Craig as a crows coach from 2004-2011 had a decent 56.7% win percentage....

I assure you many crows fans would trade a lot for a win in the 2006 prelim final and 2006 grand final.

Dead Certain Mark Riccuito would trade his 2003 Brownlow medal and a few All Australians for winning that 2006 prelim final and 2006 grand final despite already winning a medal in 1998.

You would certainly be happy with that trade.
Would you be happy for Hinkley to coach Richmond if they decide it's time to part ways with Hardwick?
Neil Craig as a crows coach from 2004-2011 had a decent 56.7% win percentage....

I assure you many crows fans would trade a lot for a win in the 2006 prelim final and 2006 grand final.

Dead Certain Mark Riccuito would trade his 2003 Brownlow medal and a few All Australians for winning that 2006 prelim final and 2006 grand final despite already winning a medal in 1998.
You could say that about any of 2005, 2006, 2012, 2017.

All golden opportunities we've had since we last won a flag, only to fall short.

Would you be happy for Hinkley to coach Richmond if they decide it's time to part ways with Hardwick?

You could say that about any of 2005, 2006, 2012, 2017.

All golden opportunities we've had since we last won a flag, only to fall short.

Amd if you had to choose to win a 3rd flag out of 2005, 2006, 2012 or 2017, which year would you take? Actually, I will even add 2002 up there as a choice too as the crows only lost by 28 points in that prelim final vs the magpies.

I wouldn't entirely mind it but I'd prefer to start fresh with a new coach. Out of the current established coaches, I'd probably have Hinkley up there.

There is a Hardwick one. Ross is still actively coaching, I guess.
I found the thread. I do find it interesting knowing a triple premiership coach has a lower win percentage than a coach who hasn't even coached his team into a grand final.

I found the thread. I do find it interesting knowing a triple premiership coach has a lower win percentage than a coach who hasn't even coached his team into a grand final.

Because donuts loves mediocrity. Even in years when we've been average, we've still been around the 10-11 wins mark. Also ken has an amazing record against shit teams. We basically never lose to them. We've beaten gold coast a dozen times in a row or something.

It's been a hallmark that we flat track the crap teams, go 50/50 against mid table, and hardly ever beat anyone in the top 8. Except this year might be different

Did Port go after Clarkson when he was available in 2022?

Mate, our footy department isn't chasing any other coach.

Officially we are sticking with Ken under contract. Unofficially, Carr is the successor.

No other coach is being mentioned. Some Port fans including myself is open to Buckley coming across.

Could have had Voss and Kingsley but nope. Might get Carr or Schofield depending who Eagles get first.

My Prediction is That You might have to Tolerate Ken Hinkley for one more season. Then Replace him with Either Schofield or Carr.

But as you Said, I can See Eagles next Coach being either Schofield or Josh Carr and Port this time next season gets the other bloke.

I just find it funny, Both Josh Carr are both Port Premiership players of 2004 and also former dockers players. Both blokes could become coaches by this time next year

Last edited:
My Prediction is That You might have to Tolerate Ken Hinkley for one more season. Then Replace him with Either Schofield or Carr.

But as you Said, I can See Eagles next Coach being either Schofield or Josh Carr and Port this time next season gets the other bloke.

I just find it funny, Both Josh Carr are both Port Premiership players of 2004 and also former dockers players. Both blokes could become coaches by this time next year
Mark Williams 2004 Port Adelaide team (players and assistants) are with each season becoming more and more successful in transferring to senior coaching roles. (wildly varying degrees of success)

My count

Head Coaches:
from players, Hardwick, Kingsley, Dew, Primus
from assistant coaches, Bailey, Walsh, Clarkson.
Assistants: C Cornes, Montgomery, Mahoney, J Carr, Brogan, Lade, Schofield, Francou

Last edited:
Mark Williams 2004 Port Adelaide team (players and assistants) are with each season becoming more and more successful in transferring to senior coaching roles. (wildly varying degrees of success)

My count

Head Coaches:
from players, Hardwick, Kingsley, Dew, Primus
from assistant coaches, Bailey, Walsh, Clarkson.
Assistants: C Cornes, Montgomery, Mahoney, J Carr, Brogan, Lade, Schofield, Francou

well theres is a nice line of former players to coaches or assistant coaches.

Primus Didnt play in the 2004 grand final, he was sadly injuried but I get your point.

I am actually Shocked on how Kingsley improved GWS in one season from 16th to a prelim final. Maybe Leon Cameron got stale or GWS just had a bad season.

People Talked up Schofield on how good he was as Subiaco head Coach. Crazy to Think we was Part of 6 Subiaco flags between 2006 to 2018.

Schofield was in Subiacos 2006, 2007 and 2008 sides as a player. He was the coach of Subiacos 2014, 2015 and 2018 premiership sides. Lost the WAFL grand finals in 2016 and 2017 to the Dockers Linked Peel thunder side. Subi won 2 more flags in 2019 and 2021 but Schofield wasnt coaching subi at the time.

Coaching Subiaco from 2014-21 was like Coaching the Central Districts in the SANFL from 2000 to 2011.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How's that win percentage treated him in preliminary finals?
Hinkley took average Port lists to within a kick of a grand final in 2014 and 2020, while having to come up against dynasty teams in Hawthorn and Richmond.
What coach do you think could have done better with the cattle Hinkley has had to work with?

Hinkley took average Port lists to within a kick of a grand final in 2014 and 2020, while having to come up against dynasty teams in Hawthorn and Richmond.
What coach do you think could have done better with the cattle Hinkley has had to work with?
Seriously? C. Scott, Clarko, Dimma, McRae, Simmo off the top of my head I would expect to do better. Love him or hate him, Lyon gets that list to a grandfinal in however long Hinkley's had, 12 years is it?

The 2014 list was almost as good as the 04 list. Not sure what you are on about

Seriously? C. Scott, Clarko, Dimma, McRae, Simmo off the top of my head I would expect to do better. Love him or hate him, Lyon gets that list to a grandfinal in however long Hinkley's had, 12 years is it?
Hinkley holds the V/AFL record for most games coached without making a grand final.
The 2014 list was almost as good as the 04 list. Not sure what you are on about
How so?
Port's list in 2014 wasn't much different to their 2011 and 2012 lists.

Remember how bad Port were in 2011 and 2012?
Hinkley did really well to get Port to within a kick of a grand final in 2014.

Hinkley holds the V/AFL record for most games coached without making a grand final.

How so?

I think the addition of Robbie Gray, Ollie Wines and even Jared ****ing Polec, plus the blossoming of Wingard significantly improved them.

How so?

And Ports 2004 list wasnt a lot different to its 2000 list when it looked like winning the spoon. Young swuad, players develop, smart recruiting and you climb up the table. This is pretty basic stuff. Just because we were bad in 2011 doesnt mean we would always be bad. Our 2014 squad was highly talented, super fit and had better depth than our 2004 squad. And yes Hinkley coached well for most of that year

And Ports 2004 list wasnt a lot different to its 2000 list when it looked like winning the spoon. Young swuad, players develop, smart recruiting and you climb up the table. This is pretty basic stuff. Just because we were bad in 2011 doesnt mean we would always be bad. Our 2014 squad was highly talented, super fit and had better depth than our 2004 squad. And yes Hinkley coached well for most of that year
Port 2000 was seen as a bad year similar to Geelong 2006 and Richmond 2016, as history proved it to be a small step backwards in the grand scheme of what was an upward trajectory.

Port 2011, on the other hand was seen as the worst team since Fitzroy.
Not just on field, but off field too.

I'm just not sure who else Port are going to get as coach if they get rid of Hinkley?
The last time Port were looking for a coach, no one else wanted to coach them.

You all thought Ken was a superhero after beating the Saints and Bulldogs.

In all seriousness,
Hardwick has Hinkley's measure with a 10-6 record against him.
Why didn't Port go after Hardwick last year when he was available?
God I can't wait for Hinkley to go and it stopping your Hinkley trolling will just be the cream.

Every other coach who has coached in the past 20 years except Matthew Knights and Mark Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ken Hinkley has a better win % than Damien Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back