Votes: 60 19.2%
  • End of the season

Votes: 86 27.5%
  • Never - coach for life

Votes: 105 33.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2001 straight sets finals exit.
2002 and 2003 finish top of the ladder yet fail to make grand final.
2005 dream final against the Crows for 83 point loss.
2006 finished 12th and loving it.
2007 grand final disaster 119 point loss.
2008 and 2009 on field performance decline, accumulating debt, unable to pay players.
2010 losing to winless Richmond in 140th anniversary celebration game.
2011 tarps, crippling debt, struggle to find sponsors, Laidley coaching via Skype.
2012 president and coach sacked, no one interested in becoming the new Port coach.

2023 shit posting from tapir
2024 shit posting from tapir
2025 who knows what the future holds but I'm guessing shit posting from tapir

2023 shit posting from tapir
2024 shit posting from tapir
2025 who knows what the future holds but I'm guessing shit posting from tapir
1997, 1998, 1999, 2004, 2013, 2014 and 2020 are the only Creed worthy seasons from Port since they've been in the AFL.
Their finals record in the AFL is the complete antithesis of the old Port in the SANFL.

Don’t think Carr is necessarily the messiah. I’d much rather have a go at Buckley.

I think it’s just that Port fans would be happy with anyone to take over from Hinkley.

Carr had a solid record taking a low tier team in the WAFL to a premiership and was hyped up as an elite coach from his days over in the WAFL more than just randomly now.

Also known to be a far better tactician of a coach which we solely are missing. Ken has full reigns and is a great motivator but a shocking game day coach.

All in all it’s more just hope with Carr and any change is better than none. Especially given Hinkley has broken the record for most games coached without making a grand final. Basically everything has changed, full turnover of a list, 10+ assistant coaches but Hinkley as the only constant for 12 years hasn’t been able to do much as a coach.

He’s been found out on game day so many times and is stable but incapable of change.

At some point the only constant has to take some of the blame for a good enough list not even making a grand final let alone winning one.

The record as coach is around 56% win rate but he’s:

41% in finals
0% in prelims
45% in showdowns
17% against top 4 sides
33% against top 8 sides
27% against former assistants (they know Ken can’t adapt his game plan).
35-3 against North/GC/St Kilda

Think the fans would be happy with a player coach over Ken to be honest.

Probably best for both sides to have a change after over a decade of the same coach, 100+ players having been coached and 15+ assistants with 0 success.
I know I am gonna get panned for this .. . 56 percent won rate in the regular season isn't bad.

41 per cent win record in finals? Ok hard to defend that one. Unless you are North Melbourne that had Brad Scott from 2010 until mid 2019.

0 percent wins in preliminary finals. Yeah it should of been at least one. Either 2014 or 2020. I say 2020 was the golden chance for port to win the flag.

They would of got cats in that 2020 grand final in a neutral Gabba. That's the best chance of the 3 preliminary finals.

You could make an argument about 2014 vs the swans. But 2021 vs the demons? Nah. No one was beating the demons in 2021.

Ken's a good coach who has ran his course at Port Power.
Time for a move to somewhere like WC, and time for the Power to get a new young coach and realize that it wasn't Ken's fault.
I don't know why I rate ken Hinkley.

If Justin Longmuir wasn't our coach and Freo wasn't doing well this season in 2024, I would love ken Hinkley.

Yeah I know Freo hasn't won a flag. I would love Justin Longmuir to get Freo to their 1st ever flag. But if Freo has made 4 or 5 years in a row and had 1 or 2 shots for the flag and falls short, so be it.

But looking back at Ken Hinkley and his coaching stint at Port... If it was that simple for a non Vic side to win a flag, ken Hinkley would of got one already.

Same with Neil Craig at the crows in 2006 and don Pyke in 2017

I don't know why I rate ken Hinkley.

If Justin Longmuir wasn't our coach and Freo wasn't doing well this season in 2024, I would love ken Hinkley.

Yeah I know Freo hasn't won a flag. I would love Justin Longmuir to get Freo to their 1st ever flag. But if Freo has made 4 or 5 years in a row and had 1 or 2 shots for the flag and falls short, so be it.

But looking back at Ken Hinkley and his coaching stint at Port... If it was that simple for a non Vic side to win a flag, ken Hinkley would of got one already.

Same with Neil Craig at the crows in 2006 and don Pyke in 2017
6B970BB0-A6C3-4B27-BEAF-BAB8AC553F49.gif

2001 straight sets finals exit.
2002 and 2003 finish top of the ladder yet fail to make grand final.
2005 dream final against the Crows for 83 point loss.
2006 finished 12th and loving it.
2007 grand final disaster 119 point loss.
2008 and 2009 on field performance decline, accumulating debt, unable to pay players.
2010 losing to winless Richmond in 140th anniversary celebration game.
2011 tarps, crippling debt, struggle to find sponsors, Laidley coaching via Skype.
2012 president and coach sacked, no one interested in becoming the new Port coach.
So 2004?

A season where Port lived up to The Creed written by Fos Williams.
Port have been in the AFL for 28 seasons, and there have been only 7 seasons where you can say Port have done The Creed proud.

All those seasons I listed in the post you quoted, were seasons where Port embarrassed The Creed.
You can't blame your coach for that, and somehow think getting rid of him is going to solve all the problems at Port.

Four years is a long time to look at someone's sack. I hope you've all learned something.
Sack Hinkley thread on the Port board goes back five years.

Even though Ken took Port to within a kick of a grand final in 2020, they still wanted him sacked.
This is despite Ken taking Port to within a kick of a grand final in 2014 as well.

Not bad when you remember how bad Port were when Ken arrived.

Port have been in the AFL for 28 seasons, and there have been only 7 seasons where you can say Port have done The Creed proud.

All those seasons I listed in the post you quoted, were seasons where Port embarrassed The Creed.
You can't blame your coach for that, and somehow think getting rid of him is going to solve all the problems at Port.
Fos would be turning in his grave knowing Port Power now come out to a love song from INXS. The cringe factor from that alone is crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously, you need to go looking at some other clubs apart from obsessing over defending Ken Hinkley.

Sack Hinkley thread on the Port board goes back five years.

Even though Ken took Port to within a kick of a grand final in 2020, they still wanted him sacked.
This is despite Ken taking Port to within a kick of a grand final in 2014 as well.

Not bad when you remember how bad Port were when Ken arrived.
Why do you always bring up the laziest stats possible? Oh, he warrants a lifetime gold pass because we were a kick away from a grand final twice within 10 years. Have we actually ever made it to a grand final under him?

So over the, where were we when he arrived. I've said it a billion times now: Dogs, Demons, and GWS have all been to a grand final, and two of them have won it. The Suns were the only team that year who haven't done anything. At least we've achieved more than the worst team in the AFL, though.

Last edited:
Remember how bad Port were when he arrived?
Great reason to retain a coach on tenure “Hey, we’re not sh*t anymore.”
And the turnaround was as much about moving to Adelaide Oval and reuniting the SANFL and AFL teams under one club.

Yeah, we won a premiership and made a Grand Final in the 8 seasons pre Hinkley.
Had neither in the 12 seasons since.

You’re taking the piss, and my club deserves it for the mess this has become.

Remember how bad Port were when he arrived?
I remember we were ahead on the ladder of GWS (1 GF since), Melbourne (1 GF and 1 premiership since), and the Western Bulldogs (2 GF's and 1 premiership since).

Don't you have something better to do than rehash the same old tired and repeatedly debunked arguments?

I remember we were ahead on the ladder of GWS (1 GF since), Melbourne (1 GF and 1 premiership since), and the Western Bulldogs (2 GF's and 1 premiership since).

Don't you have something better to do than rehash the same old tired and repeatedly debunked arguments?
Melbourne and the Bulldogs never had tarps.
They won premierships thanks to having star power such as Petracca and Bontempelli.

When did Port last have this calibre of star power?
Horne-Francis has the potential but he's not there yet.

Melbourne and the Bulldogs never had tarps.
They won premierships thanks to having star power such as Petracca and Bontempelli.

When did Port last have this calibre of star power?
Horne-Francis has the potential but he's not there yet.
Robbie Gray used to go alright, Wines did win a Brownlow over both of those 2, Butters is one of the better mids in the game currently and Rozee is up there too. Nah port bad list Kenny good right? another lazy point. This doesn’t even include prime Wingard or Boak think you forget how good those two were.

As expected we can add another loss against a top 4 team and ex assistant under Ken.

Those number just keep getting worse.
More unfair disrespect from the Port faithful.
Ken you star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Ken Hinkley sack watch

Back