Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to give a very honest answer, instead of the trolling I normally go with.

Hinkley is a very good coach. In Hinkley's reign, there's really only been a handful of good draft picks, and a couple of good trade/fa signings.

He has consistently taken an extremely average list and developed it into a contender. There's massive holes in his list, but he's always at the top.

And the players love him.

He's getting the same results as Fagan with less talent.
He was getting the same results as Scott with less talent.

The best thing for Port to do is to keep him around, because then they might nab a premiership like Geelong did in 2022 by exploiting a week season across the league without a standout powerhouse.

You lose Hinkley, the culture goes down the drain, and the fact they have 6 good players (Though with current development, you might be able to argue 8) and a team of duds. The collapse begins. There's no depth (as seen with their SANFL Wooden spoon this year).

Hinkley may not be the hero Port Adelaide fans want, but he's the hero they need.

I'm going to give a very honest answer, instead of the trolling I normally go with.

Hinkley is a very good coach. In Hinkley's reign, there's really only been a handful of good draft picks, and a couple of good trade/fa signings.

He has consistently taken an extremely average list and developed it into a contender. There's massive holes in his list, but he's always at the top.

And the players love him.

He's getting the same results as Fagan with less talent.
He was getting the same results as Scott with less talent.

The best thing for Port to do is to keep him around, because then they might nab a premiership like Geelong did in 2022 by exploiting a week season across the league without a standout powerhouse.

You lose Hinkley, the culture goes down the drain, and the fact they have 6 good players (Though with current development, you might be able to argue 8) and a team of duds. The collapse begins. There's no depth (as seen with their SANFL Wooden spoon this year).

Hinkley may not be the hero Port Adelaide fans want, but he's the hero they need.

Little off topic, but that’s very harsh on the 2022 Cats, they were the standout powerhouse.

That year in the top four was the reigning premiers, a Swans team that was building to being minor premiers this season, a Pies team that peaked in finals and went on the win the flag the following year and a Lions team that has now made 4 of the last 5 prelims.

There were plenty of decent sides and the cats were head and shoulders above the rest that year. It was hardly a “right place at the right time” flag.

As a neutral the Hinkley roller coaster is just too good to pass up.

Euphoric wins and unexpected finals charges when he’s out of contract then spectacular finals implosions and did seasons when he’s safe.

The game needs Hinkley. Apologies to Port fans.
I think even if port sack him we still get Hinkley but at the eagles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back