Kewell the best "Australian" footballer ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
In todays Age! What a joke Kewell dosent even play "Australian Football" but the imported pommie game Soccer!

Harry Kewell has been named Australia's greatest ever footballer at a gala ceremony in Sydney.
Kewell was awarded the honour following a long-running process involving fans, players and pundits.
The Greatest Ever Australian Footballer awards also named the nation's greatest players by position and Kewell was joined by several team-mates of the Socceroos' 'golden generation' in the greatest ever Australian team.

The Greatest Ever Australian Footballer awards also named the nation's greatest players by position and Kewell was joined by several team-mates of the Socceroos' 'golden generation' in the greatest ever Australian team.

Schwarzer would be my guess for the ruck.

In todays Age! What a joke Kewell dosent even play "Australian Football" but the imported pommie game Soccer!

Harry Kewell has been named Australia's greatest ever footballer at a gala ceremony in Sydney.
Kewell was awarded the honour following a long-running process involving fans, players and pundits.

Yawn.

I sincerely hope that somebody calling soccer 'football' isn't one of your major concerns.

He's not even the best, I'd say Schwarzer or Cahill, maybe even Johnny Warren.
We just have to learn to deal with this now, but we truly not what is 'Australian Football'

sucks13.jpg

FFS build a bridge and get over it.

He's an Australian and he plays football.

As hard as that is for some to accept, it's a fact.

Sorry Alex, its political correctness at its most transparent.

A group of backroom types, decided soccer was to be called football & these PC twerps (the journalism grouping) continue to srve it up to us. I've lived in 5 capital cities & soccer is not footy, not football, its soccer.

Not sure Harry is a greater soccer player than Johnno ... best footballer, no chance.

You can cower to political correctness all you like, but not me !!!

I sincerely hope that somebody calling soccer 'football' isn't one of your major concerns.
I Australia, it's soccer. It's majority rules here. In Sydney and Qld League is "football". In southern states AFL is "football".

Rugby Union is "Rugby" anywhere you go and Fed football is soccer.

Soccer Australia or whatever they call themselves are making massive tools of themselves insisting we call their game football. Reeks of part arrogance and part sour grapes at the same time. Embarassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soccer has been around longer than Aussie Rules. Get over it.
No it hasn't. First rules of Australian football codified in 1859, soccer not until 1863.

I recently returnmed from 8 weeks in Europe, mostly Spain and Italy where I watched a number of Euro cup matches and got to talk soccer (and a bit about our own game) with the locals. What surprised me was that in talking to soccer fans in both Spain and Italy, none of them - not one single one - had even heard of Harry Kewell, nor could they name any other Australian soccer player.

Isn't Melbourne the oldest club of any football code?
No: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_football_clubs

It's all much of a muchness, the oldest codified football code is Rugby Union.

Rugby and soccer basically split over the using your hands rule.

People have played versions of football for ages, but they were all codified around the same time - mid 19th century. No single code can really lay claim to being the first as the games were all played using "house rules", a bit like playing pool today, except more varied than two shots or one shot after a foul.

They're all footballs, and if the soccer people want to use the term good luck to them, but I personally think they would gain more traction in Australia if they used the term soccer.

A group of backroom types, decided soccer was to be called football & these PC twerps (the journalism grouping) continue to srve it up to us. I've lived in 5 capital cities & soccer is not footy, not football, its soccer.

Not sure Harry is a greater soccer player than Johnno ... best footballer, no chance.

Yep - Soccer Australia just can't understand why they can't crack the Australian market. On one hand they belittle our major codes but on the other they can't grow the domestic. Not before, not now, and not ever. And they are pissed about it. From memory they went to court to try and force everyone to call soccer "football"

Laughable.

In my experience it is soccer fans (invariably wogs) who get offended when we call Aussie Rules "football" or even "footy", they're the ones who need to grow up!
Racially stereotyping a whole fanbase... nice. Do you really think going down to that level, by getting worked up about the name of a game, is the solution?

In Australia, it's soccer. It's majority rules here. In Sydney and Qld League is "football". In southern states AFL is "football". Rugby Union is "Rugby" anywhere you go
So?

Fed football is soccer.
It's called football, fútbol, fußball, etc, everywhere but USA and Aus.

Soccer Australia or whatever they call themselves are making massive tools of themselves insisting we call their game football. Reeks of part arrogance and part sour grapes at the same time. Embarassing.
How is that arrogant or embarrassing? You're just as bad as them.

How is that political correctness?

All they have done is shift the sports paradgym and change the sports branding to align them self to the rest of the world.

They had an awards night and announced that Harry Kewell is the best Australia footballer. They have not tried to compare Harry Kewell to any AFL player.

I hope you're not struggling to differentiated the 2 sports.

It is a bit sad that he is considered the best we have ever produced.

He had some good years for Liverpool but was largely restricted by injury. Gifted no doubt but never reached the heights he could have.

So?

It's called football, fútbol, fußball, etc, everywhere but USA and Aus.
So?

See what I did there? Knob'ead.

How is that arrogant or embarrassing? You're just as bad as them.
Not sure if srs.

People here call it soccer. Why? A pretty simple reason: because depending on what city/state you live in, you call the main code in your area "football". This pissed soccer off so bad they had to go to court and try force people to call their code football.

Seriously, what a bunch of massive losers.

I like soccer, but I have no time for resentful soccer fans who just can't accept that we prefer different codes and an NSL will never work here. Seriously, suck my baws you soccer loving fairy.

Yawn, get a life and stop worrying about such non issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back