Kewell the best "Australian" footballer ever!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So?

See what I did there? Knob'ead.

Not sure if srs.

People here call it soccer. Why? A pretty simple reason: because depending on what city/state you live in, you call the main code in your area "football". This pissed soccer off so bad they had to go to court and try force people to call their code football.

Seriously, what a bunch of massive losers.

I like soccer, but I have no time for resentful soccer fans who just can't accept that we prefer different codes and an NSL will never work here. Seriously, suck my baws you soccer loving fairy.

Wah, wah, wah, wah, wha.

Dey wanta call they're game football too mummie!!!!

Seriously, It really isn't an issue.

...It's called football, fútbol, fußball, etc, everywhere but USA and Aus...
... and Canada, NZ and ... still quite widely in England, where the word "soccer" (short for Association) was invented in the 1860's shortly after its codification. Case in point - the store 'Soccer Scene' (as featured in the English movie 'Bend it like Beckham'). Still in doubt - try googling 'Soccer and England' and look at all the sites that come up!

What surprised me was that in talking to soccer fans in both Spain and Italy, none of them - not one single one - had even heard of Harry Kewell, nor could they name any other Australian soccer player.

But I bet anyone who follows EPL could name Tim Cahill - he's the star of the side that finished 6th - and Mark Schwarzer. those guys more than likely followed their own countries leagues, where I'm pretty sure you find less Australians.

That's my problem with this, who was actually named the Greatest Australian footballer ever. In my opinion, Schwarzer should have been named. Kewell is probably the better pure footballer Australia's had, but his career has been decimated by injury. Schwarzer has guided us to two consecutive world cups, one of which was very successful. Not a massive soccer/football follower though, and not sure if they took international and club into it, but that's just my opinion.

But I bet anyone who follows EPL could name Tim Cahill - he's the star of the side that finished 6th - and Mark Schwarzer. those guys more than likely followed their own countries leagues, where I'm pretty sure you find less Australians.

That's my problem with this, who was actually named the Greatest Australian footballer ever. In my opinion, Schwarzer should have been named. Kewell is probably the better pure footballer Australia's had, but his career has been decimated by injury. Schwarzer has guided us to two consecutive world cups, one of which was very successful. Not a massive soccer/football follower though, and not sure if they took international and club into it, but that's just my opinion.
Kewell's the best ever full stop. Not sure why anyone is even entertaining that it's not the case. Schwarzer? That's like saying Corey Enright is a better player than Marc Murphy. He's not. He never will be.

I recently returnmed from 8 weeks in Europe, mostly Spain and Italy where I watched a number of Euro cup matches and got to talk soccer (and a bit about our own game) with the locals. What surprised me was that in talking to soccer fans in both Spain and Italy, none of them - not one single one - had even heard of Harry Kewell, nor could they name any other Australian soccer player.

I think that says more about your Spanish and Italians friends football knowledge than that of Harry Kewell or any Australian players popularity.

H Kewell, T Cahill, M Viduka, M Swartzer would be house hold names for football fans in Europe, so i think you have spoken to a few duds.

Saying that, I'm sure I can find a few AFL supporters who have no idea who Buddy Franklin is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that says more about your Spanish and Italians friends football knowledge than that of Harry Kewell or any Australian players popularity.

H Kewell, T Cahill, M Viduka, M Swartzer would be house hold names for football fans in Europe, so i think you have spoken to a few duds.

Saying that, I'm sure I can find a few AFL supporters who have no idea who Buddy Franklin is.

Exactly, I've lived in Europe for 6 years, love both footballs and, like Aussie rules in Melbourne, there are some people that are into it more than others. My mates here whether they be Italian or English, if they know their soccer they know all the Aussie players you mentioned and more. Like anything, a lot of people watch football casually so wouldn't know/keep up with all of the players and the vast majority of Europeans, even if they don't like soccer much, will make sure they watch the Euros and the World Cup.

One thing you realise when you live anywhere else in the world where soccer is like Aussie Rules is in Melbourne (king) is that people laugh at us and the yanks for calling football soccer (yes, someone pointed out that the English invented the term soccer but they still think we are stupid for calling it that: doesn't make sesne but is just the way it is). Of course then the Australian soccer federation, working in a global environment, know this and realised that if they wanted to be respected globally they needed to drop soccer from the title of our federation. It isn't that hard to work out when you think about it and makes good sense but for some unknown reason, many fellow Australians froth at the mouth over this issue.

Kewell's the best ever full stop. Not sure why anyone is even entertaining that it's not the case. Schwarzer? That's like saying Corey Enright is a better player than Marc Murphy. He's not. He never will be.

Like I said, not the biggest follower. But my opinion was largely based around less talent/skill/pure football but more actual performances in events like world cups.

One thing you realise when you live anywhere else in the world where soccer is like Aussie Rules is in Melbourne (king) is that people laugh at us and the yanks for calling football soccer (yes, someone pointed out that the English invented the term soccer but they still think we are stupid for calling it that: doesn't make sesne.

Considering Australian Football has always been called football up an until it was needed to differentiate between other codes. Why didn't they just go with the European standard and call it Fussball.

Exactly, I've lived in Europe for 6 years, love both footballs and, like Aussie rules in Melbourne, there are some people that are into it more than others. My mates here whether they be Italian or English, if they know their soccer they know all the Aussie players you mentioned and more. Like anything, a lot of people watch football casually so wouldn't know keep up with all of the players and the vast majority of Europeans, even if they don't like soccer much, will make sure they watch the Euros and the World Cup.

One thing you realise when you live anywhere else in the world where soccer is like Aussie Rules is in Melbourne (king) is that people laugh at us and the yanks for calling football soccer (yes, someone pointed out that the English invented the term soccer but they still think we are stupid for calling it that: doesn't make sesne but is just the way it is). Of course then the Australian soccer federation, working in a global environment, know this and realised that if they wanted to be respected globally they needed to drop soccer from the title of our federation. It isn't that hard to work out when you think about it and makes good sense but for some unknown reason, many fellow Australians froth at the mouth over this issue.

My objection is to the way it was done ... the way the term football was re invented behind closed doors.

Is the hypocrisy better illustrated by than by the continued use of the Socceroos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back