Votes: 0 0.0%
  • King

• not sure

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm quoting myself from the afl board, as i can't rewrite all of this, but here are my thoughts:

Re: Neil Balme confirms: King in, Blake out
Quote:
Originally Posted by philhawk
Just comparing stats, what is it that King has over Blake?

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/f...d2=10&pid2=240

ok, to start with, the stats in the link are wrong, particularly in terms of body mass. see the gfc website for confirmation - king is 3cm and 5kg larger than blake, which will make a huge difference against the 2 port big men, who absolutely carved him (blake) up in round 21. king's far superior at the stoppages, where they really hurt us last time.

i have no problem with blake - he's played a commendable year as second string ruckman to ottens, but it was always meant to be as a fill in, while king recovered from injury.

far from king being a sentimental pick, geelong have given blake every chance to play, especially the last few weeks with king starring in the vfl, and blake barely holding his own. the only good game blake has really played, since king's been available, was against the 2 whippets from brisbane in round 22, yet the coaches resisted bringing back king despite the building case for his return.

this has been for 2 reasons -1, because they didn't want to mess with the team dynamic; and 2, blake's early season form, which has unfortunately now run own of puff. his game against north was ordinary, and last week he was attrocious - a damning stat from the game:

As for Blake, read this from The Australian today:
"The most damaging statistic against Blake is that in the 74 minutes he spent on the bench on Friday night, Geelong outscored Collingwood by 74 points to 40 points. In the 47 minutes he spent on the field, Geelong fell 29 points in arrears."

That means 34 points plus while he's on pine, and minus 29 points while he's bumbling around the ground = total impact of 63 points!

Bomber himself admitted during the match that we were getting smashed every time ottens moved out of the ruck - and this was against collingwood's 2 second string muppets!

people have been so quick to write king off, but fail to recognise that he's still only 28, the prime age for a ruckman. and he's not just any ruckman - steven king's a 2 time club best and fairest, former captain and an all australian STAR ruckman.

sure, he's had an ordinary run with injuries for the last 2 or 3 years, but a major reason for that was the club's desperation to always have him playing, rushing him back from injury each time, and always needing him to shoulder the king's share of the ruck work. it wasn't until last year that ottens started to stand up as the second ruckman, despite his own struggles with injury. before that, we'd have cameron mooney trying his undersized heart out, and the truly useless paul chambers, who proved himself even worse at sydney before they finally put the sword to him.

and the biggest thing king's got going for him is his proven finals form. in our last finals campaign, 2005 s/f vs sydney he was single handledly dominating the ruck, until the final quarter, when he unfortunately succumbed to injury, and without him the match turned, and the rest is history.

and before anyone points to injury concerns, bear in mind that he's been back for 3months now, rucking out almost the whole vfl game each time, and most importantly, will be back up for ottens, rather than shouldering the whole load.

at the end of the day, the ruck choice was/is clear:

Talent + Experience + Size + Form + (finally..!) Fitness = STEVEN KING!!

c'mon people, get on board :thumbsu:

oh, and don't worry about blake - he's a talented kid, who will have his day..!

Lets all take a deep breath.

Ottens is our major ruckman. It will be on his performance that our game will mainly rest. Why?
He controls the centre bounces, he palms the ball and contributes to clearances.When out of the ruck , he then can offer a realistic option that can create miss matches on the forwardline.IMO this is critical.

What can King do? Well for mine he struggles to win meaningful taps in the centre of the ground but he is very good at denying the other ruckmen their chance to clear the ball. He can nullify.He can ensure it becomes a tight contested centre ball. This could be hand if we believe we are better at the tight ball. Around the ground he is a solid contributer , he can mark the ball well when in form and is a more than a handy kick for goal within the 50M. He is a big strong tough competitor who's only weakness is his lack of spring and the fragility of his body.When he is fit , he s better than a 2nd string ruckman.

Blake on the other hand is a leaping , get hands to the ball ruckman and when on he can contribute to more clearances than King in the middle. However on every other count Blake still has plenty to improve on. Around the ground he mainly gets the ball from a team mates streaming out of the half backline and once he has it , he then looks for a runner to give it to. Mark is not a forward option. As much as his scoring contribution earlier in the year was acclaimed , would anyone on this board serious want the ball in his hands 20M out from goal , for an after the siren kick for goal?

Mark has come a long way this year , he has played a significant part in us being here but that doesn't mean you pick him now if one believes there is a better option for this super important match. ITS ALL ABOUT THE TEAM ! Now there will be supreme disappointment but wouldn't Egan be disappointed. What about Varcoe or Prismall looking one or two of our mids , I'm sure they would think they could do the job. NathanA in way is lucky , he has no real legit replacement running around in the two's. TommyH is still raw, and the others have been given up as not being up to it.

Its a bit of shame its come out via his mum , it sort of makes him sound like a mummys boy. What he must realise is that not only has King paid his dues and is due this chance , he has earned it thru performance. Mark MUST improve his other skills or there will be more disappointment.The game is evolving and mobile , 200cm midfielders are what is expected. He must suck it up , it must harden him enough so he works harder , to ensure he never feels this disappointment again.

For us the GFC, its a tough choice.In the end those in charge will have their own destiny's painted by this choice. Their butts are on the line with their choice and they know it.

Kinda like what I said but better :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Well written Dadonis. Pretty much what I've been thinking, especially the "Blake will have his day bit"!

Good luck to all the boys.

I believe time will tell that this was a good decision. It will be in the stoppages, rather than centre square bounces, that we will see King's real benefit to the team. He is a bigger body, with far more experience, who lets face it, if he had been fully match fit this year would have been picked well ahead of Blake. Besides Blakes form has dropped off considerably in the past month.

As has been mentioned, King's inclusion allows greater options up forward, particularly if Nathan is having a bad day. Kingy has shown useful form in the VFL the past few weeks and will be primed to show his inclusion was warranted. He is a very good finals player as evidenced in recent finals against Melbourne (where he killed White - literally!!) and Essendon. Until he was injured against Sydney a couple of years ago we had that game won as well. Port now will not see our 2nd ruck as a potential weakness which they would have otherwise.

Can't say I am surprised to see this change. Blakey will be shattered, of course, especially if we get up, but I think they decided that King's experience would be more valuable. I really didn't Blakey was that bad last week, but Kingy has been knocking on the door for a couple of weeks and it was bound to happen.

But that means if we win King gets to win TWO premierships and Blake gets none :(
That's the only thing that I don't like, I wish the VFL grand final was on the same weekend as the AFL one so then Blake could have a shot at one premiership.
:(

blakey is tuff to miss out, but what can you do? king is obv a better choice since blake got smashed in the ruck against 2nd string pies!
king will be more of a utility, but i wouldnt be suprised if we saw otto play much more game time and be totally buggered at the end of the game, and king play only a small amount as cover..

just hope the boys get up cause blakey is "the heart and soul" of the club (directed at the port tools re. wilson)

go cats

I feel like crying, that is SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Not fair that Blake missed out on 2 grand finals. That is ridiculous! I'm really angry.

Haha me too.
Also because I don't have Grand Final tickets.
I have spent money on competitions trying to win..
haha my dad even entered 36 times at his work to ge tickets.
We find out tomorrow.
King better play good or else!
*shakes fist*

Yeah at the veyr least they could have bought King in for the Prelim and had Blake play in the VFL grand Final. Now King plays in 2, and Blake gets squat except a pat on the head saying he did a good job throughout the season.

I feel like crying, that is SO UNFAIR!!!!!!!!! :eek:
Not fair that Blake missed out on 2 grand finals. That is ridiculous! I'm really angry.

I'm sorry but there is no room for sentimentality. I want a premiership, and if King is the slighlty better option, go with it. There have been unluckier blokes than Blake to miss GF's, blokes who have actually played well the week before (see Jaymie Graham last year)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blake was just way too much of a liability on Friday to get a second chance on the big stage when we have a seasoned in form ruckman waiting in the wings.

For a guy who probably averages 8 posessions a game this season and has useless field kicking skills he is getting a little bit too much support to keep his place in the team.

I can just picture him making a weak attack on the ball or some sort of clanger that costs team morale and costs us the flag.

"
As for Blake, read this from The Australian today:
"The most damaging statistic against Blake is that in the 74 minutes he spent on the bench on Friday night, Geelong outscored Collingwood by 74 points to 40 points. In the 47 minutes he spent on the field, Geelong fell 29 points in arrears."

That means 34 points plus while he's on pine, and minus 29 points while he's bumbling around the ground = total impact of 63 points!

"

No offence, but we all know stats only tell half the story at best.

I was at the game Friday night, and we definitely noticed it when Ottens went off. But there aren't a lot of clubs that have two top level ruckman (unfortunately Port do!!).

I'll pick two specific instances during the game, and acknowledge upfront it is quite likely that Ottens was actually rucking at the time, but its just irrelevant.

Third quarter we peppered the goals and couldn't kick straight. e.g. James Kelly from 40m out on a slight angle, running into goal, misses. That's a point instead of a goal. How is it relevant whether Ottens or Blake were in the ruck at that time?

Wocjinski runs through the centre of the ground, chased by O'Brien, and absolutely scrubs his kick instead of slotting an inspirational goal. Again, how does it matter if Ottens or Blake were in the ruck.

Point is, those two players made skill errors, that directly affected how many points up or down we were for a particular part of the game.

If the guys made a couple more skill errors when Ottens was rucking, and a couple less skill errors when Blake was on the ground, we'd be arguing that although Ottens dominated the ruck and Blake struggled, we were 11 points positive while Ottens was on, and 6 points negative while Blake was on.

Bad luck to Blakey, I really do hope the move pays off. Desperately unlucky, but he's tapered since he kicked those goals. Personally, King didn't do a lot on the weekend, most taps hit the deck and were in close, before the excellent work of Byrne, Prismall, etc. got it out.

Our midfielders will have a lot more influence on Saturday than the rucks, lets hope they are all on song.

I'm sorry but there is no room for sentimentality. I want a premiership, and if King is the slighlty better option, go with it. There have been unluckier blokes than Blake to miss GF's, blokes who have actually played well the week before (see Jaymie Graham last year)

But surelyyyyyy they could at least give Blakey the chance of playing in a VFL premiership. I think it is cruel having him miss both. I do also want whats best for the team and I know that they club is doing it's best but I just don't understand why they didn't play Blakey in the VFL granny then...

But surelyyyyyy they could at least give Blakey the chance of playing in a VFL premiership. I think it is cruel having him miss both. I do also want whats best for the team and I know that they club is doing it's best but I just don't understand why they didn't play Blakey in the VFL granny then...

Exactly.
The poor guy had to sit in the crowd and watch King win it.. and has to do it again on Saturday.
Poor little.. I mean Big guy.

His form until the Prelim was just enough to keep him selected. Essentialy, his soft effort on Friday night has dug his own grave.

bottom line is we want a flag.

King has the experience and Blake will develop into a star.

after the GF I reckon King will retire, Blake still has 10 years ahead of him and im sure our team will win flag another before he retires. Its nature that the young bucks have to step aside in front of the experienced players especially a former captain.

enough of the what if's - the positive is that we have 2 of the leagues best rucks when they are on their game.

The drought will be over soon.....

what soft effort?

no afl footballer is soft intentionally

There was a few, the most notable being when he was under the ball and though there was pressure coming and dropped a sitter with no one around.

I never said he was soft intentionally, but its an act like that which could majorly drop team morale on Saturday and cost us dearly.

There was a few, the most notable being when he was under the ball and though there was pressure coming and dropped a sitter with no one around.

I never said he was soft intentionally, but its an act like that which could majorly drop team morale on Saturday and cost us dearly.

Must have been that Meat Pie and bottle of V I saw him with the day before at Deakin Uni. ;)

Nah but in all seriousness he is really stiff to miss the GF but the coaching staff have done so well already this year so ya just gotta trust them.

Remove this Banner Ad

King In, Blake out...Balme confirmed

Back