Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting if true. Would be a very good fit in any case.

Would be interested in seeing the article if online.

Here

And as the most unique draft day in AFL history approaches on November 18 on the Gold Coast, raging uncertainty continues with just which talented youngsters will fill the cherished top picks.

Brisbane is believed to have wavered on taking gritty Victorian country midfielder Dyson Heppell.

The Lions now appear more likely to pick classy Woodville-West Torrens on-baller Jared Polec with their first choice and number five overall.

Thanks for that. If Polec went at 5. We might be looking at:
6. Heppell
7. Lynch

Will wait for another source to confirm this for the time being. Interesting news in any case.

Yeah, I'd hardly take SNF as gospel, but I'd personally prefer Polec to Heppell as a fit for the lions.

Love your work Knight (and even your Freddy Kruger avatar:D)
If for some reason Lamb was gone b4 hawks @ 19 (Nth is a whisper), who do you think would fit the same mould? Really like his type for our first selection. Cheers

Love your work Knight (and even your Freddy Kruger avatar:D)
If for some reason Lamb was gone b4 hawks @ 19 (Nth is a whisper), who do you think would fit the same mould? Really like his type for our first selection. Cheers

Kieran Harper and Billie Smedts are the more talented possibilities and they are Hawthorn's best case scenarios, but chances are they are both long gone.

If Lamb is gone before 19 there is a possibility Jayden Pitt falls. Pitt is an outside mid who if given space and time is as good as anyone by foot. He isn't a pure forward like Lamb, but could play either wing/half forward flank and would be the best option at 19 if available.

So maybe Matthew Rankine could be a small forward option a little later if you take Pitt early as a possible way to fill that void up forward left my Hooper. A fair bit of talent to work with there and possibly at 55 might be a reasonable option if you do miss out on Lamb early.

Hey Knight

been thinking about this all morning but, I feel Billi Smedts would be the perfect pick for Essendon.

Small (ish) defender who could flourish into an onballer, whilst the ability to push forward could see him turn into a Brendon Goddard type if he was to grown and develop a few more centrementers.

Thoughts?

That would throw a spanner into the works, but hey, just me speculating any ways..

Hey Knight

been thinking about this all morning but, I feel Billi Smedts would be the perfect pick for Essendon.

Small (ish) defender who could flourish into an onballer, whilst the ability to push forward could see him turn into a Brendon Goddard type if he was to grown and develop a few more centrementers.

Thoughts?

That would throw a spanner into the works, but hey, just me speculating any ways..

Smedts would be a very good selection. Smedts will be the most talented option available at 8. Just looks so good in any position and there is no reason to suggest he couldn't eventually develop into a midfielder. Would not be a bad selection at all.

It's hard to say how it will changes the selections to follow, I don't think the Gold Coast selections would change at all, but perhaps Atley falls to 12.

Good effort knightmare.

I like the last two selections for the bulldogs, fits our needs pretty well. A medium defender to replace Hargrave and someone to replace Harbrow sounds good. Not sure about Schroder though, I like him as a player and I think he's a bargain this late but the last thing we need is more inside mids. We have Cross, Boyd, Ward, Reid, Addison and now Libba and Wallis. Don't think Schroder would get much of a look in.

I think it would be more beneficial if we looked at a genuine small crumbing forward (still don't think we have anyone on the list of this description maybe Veszpremi), another fast outside type even with the recruitment of Sherman or a tall defender to replace Lake. Just looking at your list and i think Crocker, Milera, Ninyette and Hartigan would be a good fit. Hopefully we could get one in the rookie draft.

Interested to hear your thoughts on Ben Reid also?

By the way I believe it's Paul Puopolo not Peter.

Hey Knightmare, great read. Just interested in St Kilda's first pick in particular, I can't really see us passing up Darling, Green and Prestia with that pick. I think all three of those players could address some of our deficiencies sooner rather than later, and I just can't see us passing them up. What are your thoughts regarding that pick?

Good effort knightmare.

I like the last two selections for the bulldogs, fits our needs pretty well. A medium defender to replace Hargrave and someone to replace Harbrow sounds good. Not sure about Schroder though, I like him as a player and I think he's a bargain this late but the last thing we need is more inside mids. We have Cross, Boyd, Ward, Reid, Addison and now Libba and Wallis. Don't think Schroder would get much of a look in.

I think it would be more beneficial if we looked at a genuine small crumbing forward (still don't think we have anyone on the list of this description maybe Veszpremi), another fast outside type even with the recruitment of Sherman or a tall defender to replace Lake. Just looking at your list and i think Crocker, Milera, Ninyette and Hartigan would be a good fit. Hopefully we could get one in the rookie draft.

Interested to hear your thoughts on Ben Reid also?

By the way I believe it's Paul Puopolo not Peter.

Thanks for the Paul Puopolo pickup.

I see the Ben Reid commention and he might get a look. Is a late-rookie type selection so he might be available late.

Reid is more of a forward flanker/midfielder rather than a crumbing forward. My criticisms are that he probably doesn't have enough hurt factor on his kick and doesn't have incredible speed. But very agile and has some footy smarts.

Would be a dream draft to walk away with I.Smith, B.Smith and Tape. I can only wish. From what I have read over the past couple of days Tape is climbing the draft order and is more likely to be a late first or early second round pick at worst.

Yes. Next time I update I have him moving up to 21. I had both Cripps and Tape pretty much inseparable at that selection, but I think next time I update it Tape will go a bit higher. So most likely I'll go with best available defender at 36.

Hey Knightmare, great read. Just interested in St Kilda's first pick in particular, I can't really see us passing up Darling, Green and Prestia with that pick. I think all three of those players could address some of our deficiencies sooner rather than later, and I just can't see us passing them up. What are your thoughts regarding that pick?

The St Kilda selection is an interesting one and I think is far from set in stone.

The alternative I'm thinking of is Dion Prestia because he has that speed, but is also strong and ready made. Has inside/outside ability and big kick on him. St Kilda have so many defencive midfielders, so Prestia I feel would be a really natural fit because he sshould be able to play from season one. So I think he would be the other great fit who I might move up to 24.

Karnezis why I have him in at the moment is because St Kilda really lack any medium size forwards. You have 2/3 tall targets up forward at a time, then a couple of really handy smalls, but you don't have that medium player to compliment them. Karnezis is on the tall side, but he is a creative tall who I view as more of a 3rd tall forward who could play as a high half forward who pushes back towards goal and finds space.

Both are very handy players in any case so you shouldn't lose any sleep over either of them.

Hey Knight,

What are the potential Full Forward types, seems like there are a few CHF types.

Sadly for Essendon we already have a few of these types (Gumbleton, Carlise, Hurley when forward).

Have Barden as one, anyone else?

Of the main notables:

Many of the top KPFs I think will look best as CHFs.
Day I think will be suited to playing higher.
Darling is a really natural CHF in the way J.Brown is.
Lynch is so mobile for a big and I think he long term is best a bit higher.

As full forward options amongst the better options:
Ben Brown although also can play as ruckman looks really natural at full forward.
Lucas Cook can play forward/back, but looks best as a leading full forward.
Jamie Solly is slightly undersized though very strong, like Cook can play both ends. Looks like a slightly undersized Alistair Lynch at full forward.

Mitchell could play either long term but I think he will look best as a CHF long term.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't want to be looking for a full forward in this draft.

Steinberg and von Bertouch would be the pick of the leading forwards for mine. But neither one of them will provide a real big target up front. Whereas the likes of Day and Cook are better suited to playing higher up the ground.

Darling and Mitchell are the only two genuine forwards I see as offering a real presence deep in the goal square. And even then, Darling would be wasted stuck that deep.

Hamp would offer the best of both worlds, and is a very underrated prospect.

And well, I don't rate Barden.

Why do you not rate Barden, Chris?

As for the other's mentioned, Essendon do have Carlise who looks like a more comfortable CHF but looks like he could be a useful FF.

As for the better FF, how would you rate them this year?

1. Steinberg
2. Van Bertouch
3. Lucas Cook
4. Ben Brown

Would love to hear your thoughts guys.

Just on Tom Lynch to Knight, read an article recently that he stated he struggles to kick long goals, would this put him into a more FF role, or would he just not be much of a goal kicking CHF?

I wouldn't want to be looking for a full forward in this draft.

Steinberg and von Bertouch would be the pick of the leading forwards for mine. But neither one of them will provide a real big target up front. Whereas the likes of Day and Cook are better suited to playing higher up the ground.

Darling and Mitchell are the only two genuine forwards I see as offering a real presence deep in the goal square. And even then, Darling would be wasted stuck that deep.

Hamp would offer the best of both worlds, and is a very underrated prospect.

And well, I don't rate Barden.

Steinberg is a little undersized as a full forward. Von Bertouch same.

Hamp I think might go higher than expected. Possibly as high as WC at 29.

Cook I like as a full forward because he is such an accurate goal kicker. But can play any KPP.

Barden I think will go lower. He should get onto an AFL list whether it be late/rookie. But I don't see him as much more than a solid depth guy.

Why do you not rate Barden, Chris?

As for the other's mentioned, Essendon do have Carlise who looks like a more comfortable CHF but looks like he could be a useful FF.

As for the better FF, how would you rate them this year?

1. Steinberg
2. Van Bertouch
3. Lucas Cook
4. Ben Brown

Would love to hear your thoughts guys.

Just on Tom Lynch to Knight, read an article recently that he stated he struggles to kick long goals, would this put him into a more FF role, or would he just not be much of a goal kicking CHF?

Penetration is something which could be built up. Collingwood's Ben Reid when drafted struggled to kick 40m when drafted. Now he is a beautiful kick over 55m pin pointing passes out of defence. With his late growth I think physically he still has allot of growth left in him so finding those extra 10-15m I think is certainly possible for him. Still might develop into a full forward and I don't think he would look out of place at all there, but at this stage I think he has the ability to play a bit higher because he does still have some midfieldish attributes.

Of those four (chances of making it at AFL level as a full forward):
1. Ben Brown (worth a 2nd rounder for mine and the most natural full forward of the lot but also very good in the ruck)
(the others I'm not super high on. though of these Cook is the only true KPP left)
2. Cook (range = 1st round - 3rd round. can play forward or back)
3. Steinberg (will go 2nd round - late. but I feel he is more of a guy who from 3rd round should come into consideration based on what i've seen. 3rd tall not full forward at afl level)
4. Von Bertouch (more of a late-rookie selection but very worthy of getting taken late. 3rd tall not full forward at afl level)

nice work i think angus litherland will end up as the pies second pick
#47 (Richmond) - Angus Litherland (WA)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 12/10/1992
Recruited from: Claremont
Style: Simon Prestigiacomo (half back flank version)
Range: 23-59
Why: Very much a defender first, attack second defender. Closing speed and spoiling are his strengths. Very good one on one and doesn’t seem to even give his direct opposition much space. Some really big wraps on the kid in WA and could prove to be a good value selection. Half back flanker who plays his position in an almost Prestigiacomo type way. Should be developed eventually into a key position defender once he fills out with a bit of luck. But seems a little undersized which is my main concern. None the less represents some really nice value here. Probably on draft day will go a little higher than this.

Fantastic job knightmare, you put the so called pro's to shame IMO. The thoughtful detail is superb and it's really a great read.

Caddy is the kid i'm hoping we get, but thinking Prestia will be the one. Looks a man amongst boys at junior level, so it will be interesting to see if that translates in the AFL. Think we may have a look at a KPF to replace Neagle, so if Cook or Mitchell were available i think we would take with either 31 or 48.

Great effort
Cheers :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Great job Knightmare. I really like the bolters in the first round.:thumbsu: Would like to see Sam Crocker get to us at 48.

Certainly would be one of the better options. Certainly need a few more elite kicks but I expect first some midfielders might be taken.

Fantastic job knightmare, you put the so called pro's to shame IMO. The thoughtful detail is superb and it's really a great read.

Caddy is the kid i'm hoping we get, but thinking Prestia will be the one. Looks a man amongst boys at junior level, so it will be interesting to see if that translates in the AFL. Think we may have a look at a KPF to replace Neagle, so if Cook or Mitchell were available i think we would take with either 31 or 48.

Great effort
Cheers :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Some of the professional efforts have been a little disappointing this year. Was hoping like everyone else there would be allot more detail and inside information but unfortunately we aren't so lucky.

Not many think Caddy will get through to 8 but i've heard a few conflicting messages which indicate that he isn't the only player being considered at 7. The Gold Coast are from what I hear very interested in Prestia which makes me think he is the other player under careful consideration. Whether they are interested enough to use pick 7 on him remains to be seen, but with Prestia as one of the leading choices for Essendon there is the possibility they take him a little earlier than expected.

There is really so little between any of the top 35 that anyone could get taken anywhere, which is why this is such an interesting draft.

LOL at you redoing the order Knight to give all the bargains to Melbourne! Very cheeky :D (and won't happen that way tonight).

If it pans out how you suggest, much as we need a tall defender, we could not overlook Brodie Smith or Jacobs at 23, we would absolutely have to take one of them and then find whichever tall is left at 37. Ditto 15 really...while I am super hoping for Isaac Smith to be the one we read out, if Atley or Heppell slid that far we'd pretty much have to take them.

LOL at you redoing the order Knight to give all the bargains to Melbourne! Very cheeky :D (and won't happen that way tonight).

If it pans out how you suggest, much as we need a tall defender, we could not overlook Brodie Smith or Jacobs at 23, we would absolutely have to take one of them and then find whichever tall is left at 37. Ditto 15 really...while I am super hoping for Isaac Smith to be the one we read out, if Atley or Heppell slid that far we'd pretty much have to take them.

In the early editions Geelong and Essendon from memory had some of the fantastic selections.

I never set it out so that there are "winners" and "losers" but all drafts appear on the surface to work out like that.

If this is how it works out for Melbourne then it would be a fantastic draft result for them. Unfortunately the players I have sliding I don't see sliding any further and it just happens to work out this way.

The feeling with the draft is that the top 13 is fairly set (not the order, but the players who will be selected). Three or four of: Jacobs, Smedts, Pitt, I.Smith and B.Smith should be available at 15. In any case it leaves Geelong with some great options to choose from which is a big win considering the names of the quality left, many of those players are better than those in the top 13.

Jacobs, Pitt and Smedts I expect will be amongst the other considerations at 15. Brodie Smith I think will slide and possibly be available at 23 so he could be an option there.

Why I have Isaac Smith is because Geelong have liked going with the risky mature age player early and the links have been so strong that I simply couldn't overlook it even if there is better talent available. McCarthy I settled on because since Geelong fans are so adamant that another KPD is needed and after McCarthy and Watson there simply are not any others of who really project to be good - very good KPDs. So if you want one and McCarthy is available at 23 you should take him even with some better talent available.

If I was picking for Geelong I'd probably take Ben Jacobs at 15. Just represents outstanding value and I think he will have an immediate impact. Has the flexibility to play back, forward or midfield and I think he will have a big immediate impact. No doubt he will be a consideration, but with Menzel being added last year and Duncan up forward I think I.Smith is the guy Geelong might settle on and might just be the selection to keep Geelong up the top of the ladder which is what makes him such an intriguing selection.

Where is Reece Conca??? We are confirmed to be taking him at 6 and you do not even have him in your top 50!!!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back