Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Updated so that all clubs have the correct amount of draft selections and in the correct order. Updated all heights + weights. Fixed up just about all minor errors. Adjusted some ranges. Added player comparisons. Edited the order a little more and added a couple more potential rookie bargains.
Also decided against including rookie upgrades in this.

Will add my player power rankings to this draft once the bigfooty phantom draft is complete. But certainly can ask questions as to where abouts I rate a player + why.

I don't consider him so much as a ruck option as a KP prospect. I personally think there is alot to like in Chalwell and as a KPP that may fall to later picks one of the few that I think offers value. His combination of having a great contested mark, good positional sense, strong endurance for a big guy (beep of 14.6) which is important in modern KPP, a tidy kick, the right size and that bit of mongrel. Plenty to like with Chalwell.

Quicky you are spot on- Chalwell is not a ruckman but him getting in the colts team of the year in that spot shows his versitility. He played great on the wing in the colts last year, CHB CHF and FF for the colts this year he was a pinch hitter but still dominated the ruck in the colts averaging 20 possessions and kicking over 20 goals in his limited time up forward, At 193 and growing, a 14.6 beep and 88 cc running leap there is a lot to like. His decion making is good, skills on both sides great and reads the game well. I think he is an excellent prospect

Hey Knight, what are the chances of Larry Owen (KPD, Tassie) getting Drafted? Who would be looking into him, in your mind?

Might be a rookie possibility. Showed a bit during the champs. A nice size for a KPD and not a bad athlete.

Any side in the market for a KPD through the rookie draft would be having a look.

The Gold Coast have enough rookie selections so they might look at him as a possibility. Could do with a couple of young KPD prospects since Bock and Coad are on the oldish side.

Being the right height and having a bit of athleticism he does have upside so they are the type of team who could give Owen a shot.

Confirms my thoughts that Hibberd will be a bargain somewhere later in the draft.

Hibbard should be good value. I expect he will go later in the draft, but he is pretty ready to go player and I don't see many issues with his play translating to AFL level. Still young and turns 21 next year so plenty of time for a very good career as an attacking defender/ midfielder.

I think some of the state league guys are still a fairly underrated commodity, but it is harder to gauge how their careers will go in comparison to u18 talent which is why they can sometimes go a little later than they should. Hibbard is one of the 4/5 from this years crop who think can become a very good player at AFL level. Possibly sooner rather than later.

good draft for a bomber point of view, i highly rate atley and hallahan, wouldnt mind viv michie at pick 48 rate him slightly higher then browne but i cant complain great draft.

Michie is more of an outside player. Certainly if you elect to add a skillful outside player Michie would be one of the better choices. No doubt.

Browne I think could develop into a very powerful inside midfielder. He might go a little later in the draft, but there are a couple who rate Browne much higher than I have him. I feel he is a good fit in any case because with Atley the more athletic mid earlier I think a more powerful inside mid might also be a nice addition.

Michie is more of an outside player. Certainly if you elect to add a skillful outside player Michie would be one of the better choices. No doubt.

Browne I think could develop into a very powerful inside midfielder. He might go a little later in the draft, but there are a couple who rate Browne much higher than I have him. I feel he is a good fit in any case because with Atley the more athletic mid earlier I think a more powerful inside mid might also be a nice addition.

yeah if we get hallahan then thats our inside mid, atley can play both inside and outside, i like michie because of his versatility to play through the middle and also make an impact forward which essendon lacks, i like browne but i see him as more of a half back which essendon have plenty of.

Thanks knightmare. A great effort :thumbsu:

Brisbane will be creaming there pants if Darling was to slide as far as 25. If he could slide one more pick i'd be creaming more :D

Like the look of West Coast's draft selections and the style of players we are drafting except maybe pick 28 i'd go with a smaller player like a Josh Green not Chalwell

Gaff is my man for pick 4. Strong rumours coming out that West Coast will go with him. As long as its one of Gaff, Heppell or Polec i will be well pleased. Cant draft tall with first pick unless its Sam Day. Simple as that

Mitchell's the man with pick 26 unless Darling slips. At almost 200 cm could maybe MAYBE ruck in the future to. Dont know if his rucked in juniors but i'd certainly look to him as a KPF to begin with. Risky not to take him at 26 and to wait for 29 as North or Birsbane coupld pounce.

Pick 29 i'm on Josh Green if or Jed Lamb. Green the more likely to be available. If Conca slips to 29 i'd bring him into calculation also Daniel Farmer from Oakleigh.

Cripps will be an interesting one. Will come into consideration to if available at 29 but might be passed up on because of the father son Jacob Brennan. Similar defensive types

Thats pretty much our last live pick as we have Brennan and then the rookie elevations

Just added my personal draft rankings (top 50). Feel free to question why I have a players so high, so low, or not in there at all.

Will update draft order over the weekend with a bit of luck.

Noticed you rated Gaff at 10. Got a bit of a shock at first because i thought that was your draft order and there's no way he'd be available at 10. I'd certainly hope his not available come pick 5

Any obvious reasoning for the lower ranking. Not injured of late or anything is he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks knightmare. A great effort :thumbsu:

Brisbane will be creaming there pants if Darling was to slide as far as 25. If he could slide one more pick i'd be creaming more :D

Like the look of West Coast's draft selections and the style of players we are drafting except maybe pick 28 i'd go with a smaller player like a Josh Green not Chalwell

Gaff is my man for pick 4. Strong rumours coming out that West Coast will go with him. As long as its one of Gaff, Heppell or Polec i will be well pleased. Cant draft tall with first pick unless its Sam Day. Simple as that

Mitchell's the man with pick 26 unless Darling slips. At almost 200 cm could maybe MAYBE ruck in the future to. Dont know if his rucked in juniors but i'd certainly look to him as a KPF to begin with. Risky not to take him at 26 and to wait for 29 as North or Birsbane coupld pounce.

Pick 29 i'm on Josh Green if or Jed Lamb. Green the more likely to be available. If Conca slips to 29 i'd bring him into calculation also Daniel Farmer from Oakleigh.

Cripps will be an interesting one. Will come into consideration to if available at 29 but might be passed up on because of the father son Jacob Brennan. Similar defensive types

Thats pretty much our last live pick as we have Brennan and then the rookie elevations

I think there are certainly holes at KPP both ends while the midfield isn't really aweful with some of the young talent developing in there. Glass is the only established KPP I really like to any extent in this side, but he isn't young. Also worth noting is next years draft is pretty limited in terms of quality KPPs, so if you put it off this year you might have to wait till 2012 for a quality option to come along which is why I think it might be possible that both 26 + 29 could be KPPs.

Then maybe a small forward might be possible in the rookie draft. An Ozgur Uysal or Tim Milera might slip through into the rookie draft. Also a ruckman in the rookie draft is a must. At 26/29 unless Lycett falls through there are no other appropriate options, so maybe looking at a Russell Gabriel who has been good at VFL level might be a nice investment.

At 4 it will be one of Gaff/Heppell/Polec I have no doubt. My feeling is Gaff. Had a great draft combine and is very much deserving of going at 4 after having a great season. Good outside option to compliment some of your inside options.

Some good names you have put up there.

I have Chalwell so high based on what I have been hearing from a number of WA recruiters. Really highly rated. Don't know what AFL clubs think of him, but with a bit of luck we might hear something over the coming days.

Darling if he falls to 26 would be great wouldn't he? Likewise Lamb.

Conca + Cripps I have going a little early and think both are a good chance to go 1st round.

Farmer might be an interesting option at 29 if some of the WA boys are gone. Talented forward flanker with some versatility to play a variety of positions.

Noticed you rated Gaff at 10. Got a bit of a shock at first because i thought that was your draft order and there's no way he'd be available at 10. I'd certainly hope his not available come pick 5

Any obvious reasoning for the lower ranking. Not injured of late or anything is he?

If it makes you feel better I rate him ahead of Harley Bennell. :cool:

My numbering isn't so much appropriate to where they should be selected on draft day, but more so where I think they will end up over their careers.

Gaff is actually one of the players I have watched the closest in this draft class. I think from season one Heppell and Jacobs in particular from later selections will have a much more significant immediate impact than Gaff. Gaff is a hard one to place because while he does have a great work ethic and his improvements this season were fantastic I'm not sure if I can see him developing into an out and out star. I'm still a little divided on whether he will be a good, very good, or outstanding player because his upside is just so hard to get a good gauge on.

But there is nothing to suggest there is anything wrong with taking Gaff at 4 and if he does become a top 10 guy from pick 4, that isn't exactly a bad return.

Hey Knight, can you give me your reasoning for why the Swans would take Cripps over someone like Seb Tape. I had heard we would be going Tape if he was available at 21.

That wouldn't surprise me at all and for mine it was a real toss up between the pair for Sydney at pick 21. Really not a whole lot seperating the pair in my books but I think Tape will be a bit more of a project player. Just depends on whether you want another line breaking outside player or a 3rd tall defender who might be an eventual replacement for Craig Bolton. Neither are bad options. Tape would be a very good fit also.

One of the picks I might change before the draft if I hear something.

I'd certainly be over the moon if the draft worked out this way for the Lions - Heppell, Darling, Green and GHS....but I'm not getting my hopes up. :)

Hey Knight

Back again, been doing a little research, Thomas Ruggles, what can you tell me about him?

A 180cm midfielder/ back flanker, tough as naills and can win his own footy.

Obviously being looked at later in the draft, but what can you tell me?

Would love to know some strengths/weakness'/upside/development then a little bit on his skills and well.. you get the picture :cool:

I just wished I had the time to go out and watch these guys each week like you guys on here do.

Great read mate, I haven't had a chance to check out the talent this year as I've been too busy, but you've given me a good review on each player.

On a Collingwood perspective would be over the moon with Farmar and Sewell at the end.

How does everyone rate the depth of this draft out of interest? Compared with last year and 01?

Hey Knight

Back again, been doing a little research, Thomas Ruggles, what can you tell me about him?

A 180cm midfielder/ back flanker, tough as naills and can win his own footy.

Obviously being looked at later in the draft, but what can you tell me?

Would love to know some strengths/weakness'/upside/development then a little bit on his skills and well.. you get the picture :cool:

I just wished I had the time to go out and watch these guys each week like you guys on here do.

Very agile defender. Versatile. Hard at the footy. Much more inside than outside.

Foot skills are pretty ordinary. Need lots of work which is why I'd use him as more of an inside player. Bombs away at every opportunity but struggles at times pin pointing passes to team mates.

Best case scenario: He develops into a combo backman/ inside mid which is the only role I really see for him.

If he goes it is likely to be with a rookie selection.

Great read mate, I haven't had a chance to check out the talent this year as I've been too busy, but you've given me a good review on each player.

On a Collingwood perspective would be over the moon with Farmar and Sewell at the end.

How does everyone rate the depth of this draft out of interest? Compared with last year and 01?

I wouldn't be surprised to see Sewell slip into the rookie draft. Not a great athlete and not big for an inside player. But I think he will certainly be able to have a fairly immediate impact and at worst is a quality depth midfielder. We are in danger of losing a quality mid to GWS with so many out of contract next year, so Sewell if available late is one I'd jump on.

In terms of our list we now have big KPP depth problems, Ben Brown is the guy I'd take without hesitation because I think he has the upside to develop into an AFL quality player but otherwise I'd try and add to that area with 2-3 of our 4 rookie selections and hope for the best because at 45 and beyond odds are against you for adding a KPP who develops into anything fantastic.

The top end strength of this years draft is very, very good. I'd compare it to the Bryce Gibbs year (2006) *this is including those prelisted + zone selections for Gold Coast because there would be just so much KPP strength available early.
If you take away those prelisted + zone selections I think it is a little closer to the Marc Murphy/Dale Thomas draft (2005) which is still very reasonable, but doesn't have the same KPP strength and isn't a super draft. Just a solid one.

The feel of the draft is that the top 4-35 are all pretty similar and that those selections will mostly go based on need. Then after that it is just up to who you like, not a whole lot seperating any of the draftees after that and pretty much anyone could be read out at any time.

OK Knight

A different type of question..

Am getting the vibe that both Brodie Smith and Shaun Atley are both very very similar players in that they are both clearance players who use pace as a major asset to break away from stoppages.

What sets these two players apart?

would love to know.

OK Knight

A different type of question..

Am getting the vibe that both Brodie Smith and Shaun Atley are both very very similar players in that they are both clearance players who use pace as a major asset to break away from stoppages.

What sets these two players apart?

would love to know.

The thing that seems to make Smith look fast is that he is always moving and always seems to hit the ball at pace which makes him able to burst away from packs and allows him to shrug tackles so easy.

Atley is genuinely fast and is the far superior athlete. Also Smith has inconsistant footskills really do make me cringe at times. Really needs allot of work.

Positionally and in terms of roles they can both play pretty similar as backman/mids. Atley genuinely deserves to go top 10. Smith after closer inspection of i've changed my mind about quite significantly and not really as convinced as I used to be with him.

Smith has the potential to become a very good player, but he also might not work out at all.

Atley I'm fairly convinced will develop into a quality player.

For Essendon the question is whether is now Atley or Caddy. Unless Gorringe/ Lynch are available and it is decided that they are more talented.

My recommendation would be Atley over Caddy. Caddy projects as a very good pro and I think he will develop into a powerful inside mid who attacks the ball like a bull, but I think Atley is a much more versatile player with more athleticism and a much less limited game. Caddy is a pure inside player without the outside ability at this stage.

there is an article saying that brisbane have gone cold on heppell and will get polec have you seen it yet?

if so what makes you think they will

if not dont worry then

there is an article saying that brisbane have gone cold on heppell and will get polec have you seen it yet?

if so what makes you think they will

if not dont worry then

Interesting if true. Would be a very good fit in any case.

Would be interested in seeing the article if online.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back