Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
RYAN Gamble will look for a new home in next month's NAB AFL Draft after Geelong decided to delist the 23-year-old utility.

Gamble, selected with pick 47 in the 2005 draft, played 24 matches in his five seasons at Geelong but could only manage two in 2010.

While the Cats are yet to officially announce their final list changes ahead of the November 18 draft, assistant coach Blake Caracella has confirmed Gamble would be among the departures from Skilled Stadium.

"He'll be going into the draft," Caracella told afl.com.au.

Knightmare, do you think Gamble will get picked up by anyone in the Draft?

RYAN Gamble will look for a new home in next month's NAB AFL Draft after Geelong decided to delist the 23-year-old utility.

Gamble, selected with pick 47 in the 2005 draft, played 24 matches in his five seasons at Geelong but could only manage two in 2010.

While the Cats are yet to officially announce their final list changes ahead of the November 18 draft, assistant coach Blake Caracella has confirmed Gamble would be among the departures from Skilled Stadium.

"He'll be going into the draft," Caracella told afl.com.au.

Knightmare, do you think Gamble will get picked up by anyone in the Draft?

Hard to say whether he will but I don't share Caracella's enthusiasm.

Hasn't been super impressive and hasn't really developed after the promising start he had to his career. Didn't expect him to have any currency during trade week and hasn't recently lit it up at AFL level when given the chance.

Might be worth a shot as a rookie for a club, but I wouldn't take him in the national draft. A fair few mature age recruits I'd give a shot before him.

Joel Wilkinson needs to be removed, he's been snapped up by the suns under the zone rule.

This is getting ridiculous.

Yeah. It's been confirmed a couple of days ago. Next time I update it (hopefully Wed/thurs) he will be removed.

Will prove to be a very good pickup. Might have been a late 1st rounder - 2nd rounder had he been in the main draft but I feel he will develop into one of the 10 best players in this draft.

Hey Knight

Here is one for the later rounds, rookie prospects..

Adam Marcon, hear he is a well rounded player, but see him in the latter parts of the draft.

Can you shed some light as to why he is going so low? pro's. con's? upside? downside?

And one last thing before I lay off :p

Do you see any delisted player taken in the main draft? or the new rookie rules will see a lot of reject players taken as 'mature aged rookies'?

Just like the look of a couple, Ranga Ediwickrama (Geelong) and Will Sulivan (West Coast Eagles), would love to know an "experts" thoughts on wheter you could see ANY delisted players make a comeback, and if so, where?

Hi there Knightmare great read mate and effort.On the tigers perspective alot og people are saying we will get Tom Lynch I think otherwise.Our list manager has said we will go best avaible at pick 6 I think Polec,Hepple,or Atley my be the one's your view?.Also on Charlie Riewolt I think this guy is worth a late pick he's got alot of upside I reckon.With the tigers 2 pick at 30 do you think ther will be a good big forward around the range?.Thanks

Knightmare.

Just interested in your thoughts about Tom Ledger from Claremont. There's a fair amount of hype in WA about him, but he doesn't seem to feature in anyone's phantom draft calculations. What do you think?

Hey Knight

Here is one for the later rounds, rookie prospects..

Adam Marcon, hear he is a well rounded player, but see him in the latter parts of the draft.

Can you shed some light as to why he is going so low? pro's. con's? upside? downside?

And one last thing before I lay off :p

Do you see any delisted player taken in the main draft? or the new rookie rules will see a lot of reject players taken as 'mature aged rookies'?

Just like the look of a couple, Ranga Ediwickrama (Geelong) and Will Sulivan (West Coast Eagles), would love to know an "experts" thoughts on wheter you could see ANY delisted players make a comeback, and if so, where?

Adam Marcon is an interesting one. Very good player at u18 level, gets a whole lot of the ball, but doesn't really stand out. No real weapon. Could be in the late-rookie area.

Low risk and immediate value type pick. Would be a good rookie pick for a club.

The delisted player I really like is Jaxson Barham. Richmond are said to be keen. Really like his game personally. His game has really developed in a hurry since he entered the AFL and have really liked his game this year. Probably should have played more games early season, but did drop off slightly towards the end. Not many would want him, and those who haven't followed him all that closely will dismiss the idea completely, but I think he is worth the second chance.

Was a late starter to footy, then his first season was hurt by injury. Came into the side for a couple of games in 2009, and started with a single handed matchwinning performance which kept him in the side for a couple of rounds. Then this year he got one opportunity but unfortunately he was played out of position and because of it suffered.

Really high energy player with a great combination of speed and endurance. Tackles like a machine and can really lift his team. Outside player who's kicking is improving but his decision making is the thing he has been criticised in the past. I think he could be a good role player who while he might always be a slightly limited player he can still play an important role in a team and be a St Kilda style role player who if given a defined role could really thrive. The vast majority will disagree with this but I think he can be a productive player at AFL level.

Ranga I haven't really seen much of but those bits I have seen I wouldn't mind see him get a rookie chance at a club. Has had injuries which seem to have hurt him, but he seems to have the talent, so he is one I'd look at as a rookie midfielder.

Will Sullivan I haven't been all that keen on. Hasn't really been super impressive when given the chance and I think he will have to work his way back up to the top the hard way.

Tony Notte has had the most interest and a number of clubs are looking at him as a late-rookie. Physically very much immature and still a project key position forward. But with time might develop into an AFL quality player.

A few of the Hawthorn boys should get looked at. Maybe someone takes a shot on Peterson as a rookie. Kayler-Thompson while mature age played a few games and might be another rookie chance.

Will closer to the draft have a closer look at the recycled players and have a closer look to see if there are any others I like.

Hi there Knightmare great read mate and effort.On the tigers perspective alot og people are saying we will get Tom Lynch I think otherwise.Our list manager has said we will go best avaible at pick 6 I think Polec,Hepple,or Atley my be the one's your view?.Also on Charlie Riewolt I think this guy is worth a late pick he's got alot of upside I reckon.With the tigers 2 pick at 30 do you think ther will be a good big forward around the range?.Thanks

Tom Lynch might just be deemed best available and I agree, with a top 10 pick you want to go best available. Lynch was a late riser this season but really from the U18 champs went from strength to strength. As a key position player he won't have the immediate impact of a midfielder but on talent and upside might be valued ahead of Polec which is more why I have Lynch ahead of Polec at this point in time.
Polec, Atley and Gorringe will be amongst those looked at with that selection.
Will be interesting in any case what Richmond do.
The reason I do favour going tall is that I think a really nice midfielder might be available at 29. Maybe a Parker or Hallahan slides.
Really like Crocker at 29, speedy HFF/wing with a really nice long kick. Could be a bit of a Chris Knights.

If Richmond elect to go midfielder at 6, then maybe at 29 Luke Mitchell might be looked at as a KPF option. Though I feel he too similar to Griffiths in terms of size + type which again makes me favour going for the tall earlier.

Charlie Riewoldt is a late-rookie. I'm probably one of the few that see any upside in the kid. Right now physically he is very immature. Doesn't have standout speed and not very strong either. So my hope is he develops late like Jack did (which would be the hope with taking him). He is a small-medium forward. Very strong overhead for his size and a nice kick at goal. I'd take a shot at him as a rookie, but I don't know if AFL clubs feel the same or see the same development in him that I do, he maybe he slides through both drafts and has to work his way up the hard way. Started the u18 champs slowly, but seemed with every game to develop and by the end started to put things together which was encouraging. I hope he gets a chance as a long term prospect. I think there is something to work with.

Knightmare.

Just interested in your thoughts about Tom Ledger from Claremont. There's a fair amount of hype in WA about him, but he doesn't seem to feature in anyone's phantom draft calculations. What do you think?

Haven't seen a whole lot of him being Victorian based but during the U18 champs he showed a bit at times.

Allot of speed and skills seem fairly sound. Could get some consideration late, but as a rookie could be a nice pickup.

Adam Marcon is an interesting one. Very good player at u18 level, gets a whole lot of the ball, but doesn't really stand out. No real weapon. Could be in the late-rookie area.

Just on Marcon, what are his skills like? pace? what is there to work with? Can you see any development left in him? or what you see is what you get?

Seems like he could start round 1?

Just on Marcon, what are his skills like? pace? what is there to work with? Can you see any development left in him? or what you see is what you get?

Seems like he could start round 1?

Wouldn't start round 1. Not that ready.

Inside player.

Agility is good, endurance not bad. Not super speedy.

Kicking is ok. Doesn't have super penetration. Kicks some goals, but still doesn't have a super dangerous feel.

Solid body without being huge so physically he is probably ahead of most at this stage which is more where the questionable development comes from.

He can develop but doesn't have any real standout qualities so again it's hard to know how good he can become which is the main thing there which again leads to the thinking that his develop might be questionable.

Certainly he can work hard and make a career that way. So still can develop into a solid player, but doesn't really seem to have that star potential.

He can make it and is worth a shot as a late-rookie.

Wouldn't start round 1. Not that ready.

Inside player.

Agility is good, endurance not bad. Not super speedy.

Kicking is ok. Doesn't have super penetration. Kicks some goals, but still doesn't have a super dangerous feel.

Solid body without being huge so physically he is probably ahead of most at this stage which is more where the questionable development comes from.

He can develop but doesn't have any real standout qualities so again it's hard to know how good he can become which is the main thing there which again leads to the thinking that his develop might be questionable.

Certainly he can work hard and make a career that way. So still can develop into a solid player, but doesn't really seem to have that star potential.

He can make it and is worth a shot as a late-rookie.

would you say he is a true midfielder, or could he possibly make it as a defender? doesn't sound like he has enough creativity to make it as a forward.

Sounds like he could be a decent prospect..

Thanks again mate for this :thumbsu:

would you say he is a true midfielder, or could he possibly make it as a defender? doesn't sound like he has enough creativity to make it as a forward.

Sounds like he could be a decent prospect..

Thanks again mate for this :thumbsu:

I think he does play his best footy as a midfielder. Anyone who can rack up 20-25 disposals at U18 level is going well, so I think this is where he should continue to develop his game and hope he can take that productivity to the next level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the Lions will take heppell if the eagles go with Gaff, so we will still be in need for some quick mids with our 25/27 picks. I here Greens name put up on most drafts for the lions, but what other targets will the lions be hoping for with their 2nd round Picks.

I would love a fast outside mid and a inside line breaking mid

I think the Lions will take heppell if the eagles go with Gaff, so we will still be in need for some quick mids with our 25/27 picks. I here Greens name put up on most drafts for the lions, but what other targets will the lions be hoping for with their 2nd round Picks.

I would love a fast outside mid and a inside line breaking mid

Heppell could be the Eagles pick in which case Gaff would still be a good pick, but looks likely to be one of the pair. But Gaff at this stage is the likely pick 4 with Heppell at 5.

Brisbane could even consider Polec as an outside option at 5.

Cripps your new pick 27 in my mock is a nice line breaking mid option.

As an outside option Isaac Smith could be another option in that range who could come into consideration at 25/27/31.

Not sure if you need two outside types after having taking Callum Bartlett last year, but one is certainly a strong possibility.

Green is a real Brisbane type selection. Another of those red head kids in that type of range. Brisbane and Melbourne at 31/32 as I understand it are most interested. Would be a good fit as a forward who could push into the midfield. Once developed will become a full time midfielder.

Lucas Cook has heard from the Gold Coast, St.Kilda, Demons and Bulldogs and they're saying they all want him, Dees as high as their first and Bulldogs at their only pick at 74.. :confused:

Lucas Cook has heard from the Gold Coast, St.Kilda, Demons and Bulldogs and they're saying they all want him, Dees as high as their first and Bulldogs at their only pick at 74.. :confused:

I think Cook is one who could slide a little more than expected. Earlier in the season he was widely considered a 1st rounder. But I think his potential range is larger than many believe.

He could go as late as Collingwood at 44/45. But I expect him to go early 2nd round. WCE+Bris+Melb all could look at him in the 2nd round based on needs. Might surprise and go as high as 12, but I think he might be a bit like Aaron Black and Jake Carlisle last year. They were expected to go at 11/18, felt they probably shouldn't have been rated quite so highly and in the end they both went in the mid 20s which was probably right and more reflective or where they should have gone. Cook might go in a similar range.
I like Cook more than I do Black and Carlisle but this is a much stronger key position player draft so I see a similar eventual draft position in his future and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Melbourne waited for pick 32 to go for the best available key position player, unless Tom Lynch slides to 12 I just don't see it.

The delisted player I really like is Jaxson Barham. Richmond are said to be keen. Really like his game personally. His game has really developed in a hurry since he entered the AFL and have really liked his game this year. Probably should have played more games early season, but did drop off slightly towards the end. Not many would want him, and those who haven't followed him all that closely will dismiss the idea completely, but I think he is worth the second chance.

Was a late starter to footy, then his first season was hurt by injury. Came into the side for a couple of games in 2009, and started with a single handed matchwinning performance which kept him in the side for a couple of rounds. Then this year he got one opportunity but unfortunately he was played out of position and because of it suffered.

Really high energy player with a great combination of speed and endurance. Tackles like a machine and can really lift his team. Outside player who's kicking is improving but his decision making is the thing he has been criticised in the past. I think he could be a good role player who while he might always be a slightly limited player he can still play an important role in a team and be a St Kilda style role player who if given a defined role could really thrive. The vast majority will disagree with this but I think he can be a productive player at AFL level.

Ranga I haven't really seen much of but those bits I have seen I wouldn't mind see him get a rookie chance at a club. Has had injuries which seem to have hurt him, but he seems to have the talent, so he is one I'd look at as a rookie midfielder.

Will Sullivan I haven't been all that keen on. Hasn't really been super impressive when given the chance and I think he will have to work his way back up to the top the hard way.

Tony Notte has had the most interest and a number of clubs are looking at him as a late-rookie. Physically very much immature and still a project key position forward. But with time might develop into an AFL quality player.

A few of the Hawthorn boys should get looked at. Maybe someone takes a shot on Peterson as a rookie. Kayler-Thompson while mature age played a few games and might be another rookie chance.

Will closer to the draft have a closer look at the recycled players and have a closer look to see if there are any others I like.

Tom Lynch might just be deemed best available and I agree, with a top 10 pick you want to go best available. Lynch was a late riser this season but really from the U18 champs went from strength to strength. As a key position player he won't have the immediate impact of a midfielder but on talent and upside might be valued ahead of Polec which is more why I have Lynch ahead of Polec at this point in time.
Polec, Atley and Gorringe will be amongst those looked at with that selection.
Will be interesting in any case what Richmond do.
The reason I do favour going tall is that I think a really nice midfielder might be available at 29. Maybe a Parker or Hallahan slides.
Really like Crocker at 29, speedy HFF/wing with a really nice long kick. Could be a bit of a Chris Knights.

If Richmond elect to go midfielder at 6, then maybe at 29 Luke Mitchell might be looked at as a KPF option. Though I feel he too similar to Griffiths in terms of size + type which again makes me favour going for the tall earlier.

Charlie Riewoldt is a late-rookie. I'm probably one of the few that see any upside in the kid. Right now physically he is very immature. Doesn't have standout speed and not very strong either. So my hope is he develops late like Jack did (which would be the hope with taking him). He is a small-medium forward. Very strong overhead for his size and a nice kick at goal. I'd take a shot at him as a rookie, but I don't know if AFL clubs feel the same or see the same development in him that I do, he maybe he slides through both drafts and has to work his way up the hard way. Started the u18 champs slowly, but seemed with every game to develop and by the end started to put things together which was encouraging. I hope he gets a chance as a long term prospect. I think there is something to work with.

Thanks for the tigers perspective mate great read.I like Lynch to ,but the only worry I have is taken a player at pick 6 who has played only 1 year of footy.I know he has got great upside and would go nicely with Riewolt and Griffths.What a his strengths and weakness?.I think at pick 30 we go key position if we dont go that at 6 maybe Cook or Mitchell or a ruckman.Very interesting as you said there might be great midfielders at 30 to and as of yet we dont know if we will use pick 26 from trade week.If we go for a midfielder who would you take at 6 Polec,Atley or Caddy I think Hepple will be gone.Barham my pies mate said keep away turns it over to much

On Ben Griffths I reckon he has got huge talent and upside very agile ,booming kick and great mark only his shoulders a problem let's hope for the best.Cheers

Thanks for the tigers perspective mate great read.I like Lynch to ,but the only worry I have is taken a player at pick 6 who has played only 1 year of footy.I know he has got great upside and would go nicely with Riewolt and Griffths.What a his strengths and weakness?.I think at pick 30 we go key position if we dont go that at 6 maybe Cook or Mitchell or a ruckman.Very interesting as you said there might be great midfielders at 30 to and as of yet we dont know if we will use pick 26 from trade week.If we go for a midfielder who would you take at 6 Polec,Atley or Caddy I think Hepple will be gone.Barham my pies mate said keep away turns it over to much

On Ben Griffths I reckon he has got huge talent and upside very agile ,booming kick and great mark only his shoulders a problem let's hope for the best.Cheers

Arguement for: Comes from a basketball background so the upside is there and skills are very much transferrable. Athletically very, very good. Can play a variety of roles up forward. Moves really well for someone his size. Very strong mark overhead and can mark at the highest point. Had a bit of a late growth spurt and has gone from around 194cm during the u18 champs up to around 199cm now, so physically I'd say by both his late growth and improvement this season that there is allot of improvement left in him.

Arguement against: Unproven. Can he become a dominant KPF? Really just a potential pick over known output.
Can improve kicking, add size, defensive side of his game, but that isn't so say those aspects of his game are bad either.

Why I say he could be a good fit is that he is a different player to Riewoldt or Griffiths. Griff is a big bodied, strong forward. Jack is your natural forward with a great footy brain and Lynch is interesting as an athletic KPF.
A system could be worked out where in the future all 3 possibly play, and then one of Griffiths or Lynch become backup ruck.
Many possibilities with the combinations.

Best mid at 6, I think Richmond might look at Polec as the other possibility assumed Heppell is taken if they want to go for a mid. Good outside option and with Tambling gone I think he could be a nice addition.

Lots have different views on Barham but I really like him. For Richmond I think he can play from season 1.
His story is that he was a late starter to footy, then in season 1 was out for the season with injury.
Season 2 he looked really promising and made his debut mid season against Brisbane and was B.O.G. He won the game with his tackling pressure and got nearly 30 disposals from memory.
Season 3 (this year), had an fantastic start to the season at VFL level and probably deserved a chance early, but was unfortunate. His 2nd half of the season was ok without being fantastic but he was never a chance because our best 22 pretty much stuck after the mid season break anyway.

On Barham and plan to do a write up:
Strengths: Has an incredible combination of speed and endurance. Has real explosiveness and can run all day, so pretty unique great in both areas. His tackling pressure is first rate and defensively can impact games in the way Dale Thomas has this year with his pressure game. Has a very high work rate. Real energy player and team lifter defensively, so when he is playing well you can really feel he is having a significant influence on the contest.
Weaknesses: Kicking (could only kick on one side, towards the end of the season was learning to become more duel sided and started gaining confidence, not too bad now), decision making is usually his main criticism but it is improving (likely to always be a relative weakness, but no player is perfect), handballing (not always on target so with more practise it can still get better), also has a fairly slight body but he will continue to put on size and is still young so I don't consider this to be a problem at all.
Role: Outside midfielder who can be a St Kilda style role player. He will probably always be a slightly floored player, but that doesn't mean he can't be a highly productive player or a difference maker. Adds some great burst speed offensively, and defensively will tackle like a machine and make all your other midfielders look much better.

Griffiths Richmond have lots of confidence in. Very solid kid and will be interesting to see if he can develop. Injuries are the major problem for him. No guarantee to develop into the monster we hope he will, but certainly if he can keep his body right will be given every chance.

Knightmare.

#54 (Hawthorn) - Tom Hickey (QLD)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 88kg, DOB: 06/03/1991
Recruited from: Morningside
Style: Todd Goldstein/ Josh Fraser
Range: 37-71
Why: Has good mobility and a nice leap. Lays tackles and while an overage kid his upside is very high and has improved very rapidly this year. After Gorringe and Lycett very little separates the next lot of ruckman. Collingwood have had some luck with Queenslanders in recent times and could do with a young project ruckman to have developed by the time Darren Jolly retires to put some added pressure on Cameron Wood to continue his development.

Pick 54 is Hawthorn, but just wondering why you talk about Collingwood and not the Hawks???

#50 (Richmond) - Viv Michie (VIC)
Height: 185cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/02/1992
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Nick Dal Santo
Range: 23-45
Why: Well rounded player who can play midfield or forward well as well as some back if required. Good decision maker. Nice kick of the footy and reads the game well. Strong overhead. More of an outside player, but a very skilful one at that.
Range: 23-45, taken at 50 :eek: Epic Value!

Knightmare.

#54 (Hawthorn) - Tom Hickey (QLD)

Pick 54 is Hawthorn, but just wondering why you talk about Collingwood and not the Hawks???

Thanks for that. Still need to review some of the descriptions. Been playing around with the orders. I'm pretty sure that one was done before trade week when we traded into John Ceglar.

Range: 23-45, taken at 50 :eek: Epic Value!

Some will slide through like this and still need to update many of the ranges. For Michie 2nd-3rd round is closer, just need to update that. His current draft position should be a little closer.

Moral of the story.. Much to update.

OK Knightmare

I'm back :p

Alex Fasoli,

what can you tell me about him?

Seems like a simialr version to Luke Parker? Again, strengths weakness' etc. Just trying to see what we could pick up around our pick 30. Also, do like the sound of cripps.

Has a similar game to Parker.

Parker is the better of the pair and could possibly play 10 games in season 1 and play a more immediate midfield role whereas Fasolo might get one or two games in season 1 and probably start to get a few more opportunities from season 2.

Fasolo:
Strengths: Kick + decision making look good. Strong overhead for his size. Has good pace + agility. Clearance work good. Plays taller than he is.
Weaknesses: Nothing too glaring. Would like to see him add probably a little more to the defensive side of his game.

Cripps I like also. But with Colyer not sure the need is there. Unless Ess really, really like him there are probably others they will have higher on their list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back