Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2010 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading your descriptions (and as a West Coast fan) I think that I would prefer the Eagles to take Fasolo rather than Young. Apart from that I think that you have done a very good job.

#20 (Fremantle) – Jed Lamb (VIC)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 77kg, DOB: 23/08/1992
Recruited from: Dandenong
Style: Marc LeCras/ Amon Buchanan
Range: 9-26
Why: Good at evading, has speed to burn, classy, good overhead, clean, knows where the goals are and probably the best shot on goal from anywhere in this draft, takes pride in it. A guy who just makes you smile to watch. Has the Kyle Reimers boots. Can push into the midfield but looks most comfortable as a forward.

Love this pick would be a great addition to our forward line. I rekon he might be gone by our pick unfortuantly.

Knighta thats a neat draft.

Few interesting ones;

Wilson - you have him pretty high. I just thought his testing results might see him drop a bit. Some clubs dont put so much weight on them so might be up there.

Butcher - I see him as another Mark Hutchings type from last year. I like him a lot and have seen him a few times so hope he goes but form tells me he could struggle!

Gordon - that is a high spot for a kid who didnt test terribly well. In saying that is very versatile and suspect that is why

Well done and look fwd to the other profiles being done.

Reading your descriptions (and as a West Coast fan) I think that I would prefer the Eagles to take Fasolo rather than Young. Apart from that I think that you have done a very good job.

I'm not surprised by this comment at all.

My first round I don't think I will change a great deal, but the WCE picks in the 2nd round along with the Bris picks have been amongst the more difficult to place.

Young previously I had in the top 20 to Hawthorn, still playing around with the selections. He's eventual position in my draft should be somewhere in the 19-39 range.

Love this pick would be a great addition to our forward line. I rekon he might be gone by our pick unfortuantly.

It's hard to say. He very well could go to Hawthorn at 19 now that Rhan Hooper and Carl Peterson are both gone. But if available he is a good one.
Also likely for Fremantle I feel is Reece Conca if Lamb isn't available.

Knighta thats a neat draft.

Few interesting ones;

Wilson - you have him pretty high. I just thought his testing results might see him drop a bit. Some clubs dont put so much weight on them so might be up there.

Butcher - I see him as another Mark Hutchings type from last year. I like him a lot and have seen him a few times so hope he goes but form tells me he could struggle!

Gordon - that is a high spot for a kid who didnt test terribly well. In saying that is very versatile and suspect that is why

Well done and look fwd to the other profiles being done.

Wilson I have been hearing the same. I've been sold on his ability for some time, but from recent reports it has been a little disappointing to hear that he is expected to go late-rookie.

Gordon is an interesting one because I probably rate him slightly ahead of Luke Mitchell. For Geelong I was picking mostly on the basis that he is probably the better of the key position defenders options available and they already have a mid + other, so felt with Scarlett nearing the end with Mooney up forward, that he would be a logical selection.

Just made some pretty significant adjustments to the draft order.

Really starting to pull away from the common bigfooty drafts and giving it a little bit of a different interpretation with a few surprising players a little higher than many think.

Just made some pretty significant adjustments to the draft order.

Really starting to pull away from the common bigfooty drafts and giving it a little bit of a different interpretation with a few surprising players a little higher than many think.
Knightmare what are your thoughts on Tyler Chalwell from WA.I did not notice him in your reviewed list.

#32 (Melbourne) – Cameron Guthrie (VIC)

If this guy had tested a little higher in the beep test, he would almost be a Monty for a top 10 selection. As it stands now, I think you're being a touch harsh on the kid pushing him down to 32.

If that was the case, Melbourne would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Good work Knightmare.

If Smith slips to 23 I will personally start doing cartwheels. Surely he won't?

I'm not big on Lycett, not because he's not good, but because I don't think we'll go a ruckman that early, given Simpson is pretty highly rated by the coaches and West got a 2 year contract last week. If anything, the fact that we've cleared out half the rookie list indicates to me we'll go ruck in the rookie draft, if at all. (or you could just let Sinclair slide to 53 :D)

If pick 15 was traded into with a specific player in mind, I'm fairly confident it's either Watson or McCarthy, not Lycett. More critical need, and if we only take 4 picks (which we will unless we delist more) then we'll want to tie up our key defender early rather than get to 53 and risk having few options.

Knightmare what are your thoughts on Tyler Chalwell from WA.I did not notice him in your reviewed list.

I haven't seen a great deal of him being a Victorian but I have heard good reports.

Should be a late-rookie selection. Really like his game. For someone his size is not a bad kick and just seems to have some good footy smarts. Strong overhead. Has versatility. Not sure of his eventual position but is an interesting player.
When I expand the draft past pick 77 I think i'll find a spot for him late.

If this guy had tested a little higher in the beep test, he would almost be a Monty for a top 10 selection. As it stands now, I think you're being a touch harsh on the kid pushing him down to 32.

If that was the case, Melbourne would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Guthrie I think will be a good one, but for my liking he is still on style too defensive and it really is hard to place those types much higher than the 2nd round. But certainly 32 is the bottom end of his range, no doubt.

Great effort Knightmare, thanks for your contribution.
I'd like to point out a revisement that's needed regarding pick 62: WC have already committed to taking Jacob Brennan as a F/S selection.

Once I know all the rookie promotes and exactly how many selections each club are going to use will edit that.
In my records has it as a later f/s pick. But certainly will go to WCE, with rookie promotes you might be right.

Watson, Prestia and Mitchell! Would be great for Carlton.

Can you provide descriptions for Browne and Ledger?

Will put up more detailed descriptions later, likely when I next update in a week or so.

Browne is very highly rated and some think he might go top 40. Agressive inside mid/ medium backman. Pretty good user of the footy and moves the ball forward. Ready to go sooner rather than later. Very good value as a late selection if available.

Ledger is a WA mid who finds allot of the ball. Had a 2nd half to the season. The knock on him is height, but at 175cm he is a good option.

Good work Knightmare.

If Smith slips to 23 I will personally start doing cartwheels. Surely he won't?

I'm not big on Lycett, not because he's not good, but because I don't think we'll go a ruckman that early, given Simpson is pretty highly rated by the coaches and West got a 2 year contract last week. If anything, the fact that we've cleared out half the rookie list indicates to me we'll go ruck in the rookie draft, if at all. (or you could just let Sinclair slide to 53 :D)

If pick 15 was traded into with a specific player in mind, I'm fairly confident it's either Watson or McCarthy, not Lycett. More critical need, and if we only take 4 picks (which we will unless we delist more) then we'll want to tie up our key defender early rather than get to 53 and risk having few options.

Smith might. The talent is there, but he isn't really a sure thing. He could go to Adelaide at 14, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide.

On talent I like Lycett allot more than I do McCarthy or Watson. Rate him a top 12 talent guy. Watson and McCarthy more top 20ish.
There is more key position deph in this draft than there is ruck depth, so both needs can be adressed. But I'd recommend going for the value early.
Dawson Simpson I like, but with Ottens old, Hawkins clearly not a ruckman and Blake who hasn't developed there is no harm going best available and adding a ruckman who should develop into a quality no.1 ruckman.

Sinclair is better as a key position forward. Not confident enough in his durability to play any role as a ruckman.

It will be interesting when Geelong add a key position defender. My bet is late because the value just isn't available early.

Smith might. The talent is there, but he isn't really a sure thing. He could go to Adelaide at 14, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him slide.

On talent I like Lycett allot more than I do McCarthy or Watson. Rate him a top 12 talent guy. Watson and McCarthy more top 20ish.
There is more key position deph in this draft than there is ruck depth, so both needs can be adressed. But I'd recommend going for the value early.
Dawson Simpson I like, but with Ottens old, Hawkins clearly not a ruckman and Blake who hasn't developed there is no harm going best available and adding a ruckman who should develop into a quality no.1 ruckman.

Sinclair is better as a key position forward. Not confident enough in his durability to play any role as a ruckman.

It will be interesting when Geelong add a key position defender. My bet is late because the value just isn't available early.

What is your knock on Smith? Field kicking? I'd be surprised if he slides, fits Adelaide's needs well and Port would take him if they don't. I'd be quite happy if he's there at 23 though.

On the ruck issue, your points are pretty much valid, I just think that because Simpson (who will play AFL this year) and West are young enough, ruck is a need, but not as critical as our defence, given the age of most of our defenders. If we can address both, sure, but I still reckon defence is priority no1, and it'll be interesting to see which pick we use on it. Maybe you will be right. I'm interested you think Lycett is a top 12 pick....do you rate him as highly as Gorringe?

You're probably right about Sinclair, however I would have thought with the new rule a forward like him, who can take a grab, and pinch hit in the ruck, has value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great mock,agree with 90+% of it,but no way on this earth will Polec drop to pick 9.Have heard Polec has already half got a tiger jumper on

Many on here have equal faith in Richmond going with Polec, but I always enjoy bucking the popular trend.

Polec projects to be a very good pro, but my view is that if you want to be a contendor before GCS + GWS become powers now is the time to make sure your key position stocks are set for the future now. Down back you look set, and Riewoldt based on how he performed this season is an out and out star but Griffiths is injury prone and is far from a certainty to develop into a star, just way too early to know. So I would recommend while you have the opportunity to add a quality key position forward now to have developing and then build around those key position players. Lynch has star potential, so I'd take the risk and give yourself a chance to be a very good team.

What is your knock on Smith? Field kicking? I'd be surprised if he slides, fits Adelaide's needs well and Port would take him if they don't. I'd be quite happy if he's there at 23 though.

On the ruck issue, your points are pretty much valid, I just think that because Simpson (who will play AFL this year) and West are young enough, ruck is a need, but not as critical as our defence, given the age of most of our defenders. If we can address both, sure, but I still reckon defence is priority no1, and it'll be interesting to see which pick we use on it. Maybe you will be right. I'm interested you think Lycett is a top 12 pick....do you rate him as highly as Gorringe?

You're probably right about Sinclair, however I would have thought with the new rule a forward like him, who can take a grab, and pinch hit in the ruck, has value.

I actually really like Smith. He has some outstanding attributes and his ability to shake tackles is second to none and his explosiveness is outstanding. But his ball use is questionable, by foot particularly very inconsistant and I feel he might drop a little further than expected. Smith has the potential to be a star, but has flaws and might never develop into the special player he potentially could be.

Smith fits Adelaide well but I like Smedts more and I think he is a more talented, better rounder player who also has star potential. Smedts has gone a little under the radar on here, but probably shouldn't. If Melbourne pass on Jacobs then I'd put my money on Adelaide taking him above Smith also.

For Geelong, Smith might be an interesting addition to the midfield who along some stars I expect will look really good because Geelong have so many great ball winners. So he can play as an inside receiver and use his burst speed to advantage and really take advantage of that.

I don't rate Lycett all that far behind Gorringe and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him turn out better. Some like Chris25 are buying into the logic that because no team has a great need for a ruckman and that he might drop as far as the 2nd round which is certainly a possibility, but my interpretation is that Lycett is a quality ruckman who in probably any other draft would be a close to top 10 selection, just due to so few clubs demanding ruckman he will drop. Because of the lack of demand from clubs he is not expected to go any higher than 15 or 16. But he is well worth the price at this selection even if it is as a lower order need.

For Geelong the other thing I should mention is that Nathan Vardy is a very similar package to Sinclair. Was a great value selection last year and can play that no.2 role as a forward/ruckman, with a bit of lucky will turn out better than Sinclair.
If Sinclair is available at 53 then he will certainly be considered, but if he isn't I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep.

Hey Knight

What are your thoughts on Jarrad Lyons?

Seems like a decent proposition and one who could be a very useful pick up later in the draft.

Keeps his feet well and is good in traffic (confirm?), skills seem really good.

Could play anywhere at AFL level?

Any ways, would love to know your thoughts on the kid from Sandringham.

Hey Knight

What are your thoughts on Jarrad Lyons?

Seems like a decent proposition and one who could be a very useful pick up later in the draft.

Keeps his feet well and is good in traffic (confirm?), skills seem really good.

Could play anywhere at AFL level?

Any ways, would love to know your thoughts on the kid from Sandringham.

Could possibly go a little higher.

The back end of the draft is just so even that it is very hard to fit everyone you want to, in.

Will be a late-rookie.

The thing I like about Lyon is his awareness and footy smarts. Has good vision and sees targets when they are open.

Skills are ok without being brilliant, but he is a good decision maker which sometimes make him look better than he is (which isn't a bad thing at all).

Has some smarts in trafic. Can win some hard ball. Really an inside mid/ forward.

If anything I'd like to see him continue to improve his kicking, add some more penetration and a little more hurt factor, then he could be a really dangerous player. Also I'd like to see him run and carry a little more. Pace is ok without being brilliant, but the outside aspects he probably needs to add to his game to make it a little more complete.

Certainly on of those late guys who has the potential to be a handy late selection.

My draft is more so based on what I feel clubs will do rather than based on my person rankings. Otherwise I would have Joel Wilkinson going to Brisbane at pick 5 and Jayden Pitt at pick 8 to Essendon.

Sorry if you've already done so, but would you care in putting up your personal rankings!? Who would have to drop for those guys to go up?

I actually really like Smith. He has some outstanding attributes and his ability to shake tackles is second to none and his explosiveness is outstanding. But his ball use is questionable, by foot particularly very inconsistant and I feel he might drop a little further than expected. Smith has the potential to be a star, but has flaws and might never develop into the special player he potentially could be.

Smith fits Adelaide well but I like Smedts more and I think he is a more talented, better rounder player who also has star potential. Smedts has gone a little under the radar on here, but probably shouldn't. If Melbourne pass on Jacobs then I'd put my money on Adelaide taking him above Smith also.

For Geelong, Smith might be an interesting addition to the midfield who along some stars I expect will look really good because Geelong have so many great ball winners. So he can play as an inside receiver and use his burst speed to advantage and really take advantage of that.

I don't rate Lycett all that far behind Gorringe and I wouldn't be all that surprised to see him turn out better. Some like Chris25 are buying into the logic that because no team has a great need for a ruckman and that he might drop as far as the 2nd round which is certainly a possibility, but my interpretation is that Lycett is a quality ruckman who in probably any other draft would be a close to top 10 selection, just due to so few clubs demanding ruckman he will drop. Because of the lack of demand from clubs he is not expected to go any higher than 15 or 16. But he is well worth the price at this selection even if it is as a lower order need.

For Geelong the other thing I should mention is that Nathan Vardy is a very similar package to Sinclair. Was a great value selection last year and can play that no.2 role as a forward/ruckman, with a bit of lucky will turn out better than Sinclair.
If Sinclair is available at 53 then he will certainly be considered, but if he isn't I wouldn't lose a whole lot of sleep.

Smedts will be a gun, and it would be fairly frustrating if he went with the pick before us, having said that, if we got Smith I wouldn't be displeased, as we definitely need guys who have breakaway speed. I really don't think Port will pass on him though.

Lycett looks like a good selection I just wonder, as you say, with the hit and miss nature of ruckmen with high picks, and clubs other needs, whether he'll really go that high. Someone might get a good slider. He might hold some interest for us but we definitely need to nab the best key defender we can ahead of other needs.

I agre re Sinclair, and Vardy. Have watched him this year in the VFL and he is quite a talent...needs to put some weight on though. Pick 53 could be just about anyone really, it will depend on whether we've addressed our key needs by then or not.

Jordon Eades is getting a bit of talk in the Lions forum...he looks like a ripper little forward that the lions could do with for banfield support...whats the chance of him getting drafted? and by the lions?

Sorry if you've already done so, but would you care in putting up your personal rankings!? Who would have to drop for those guys to go up?

I'll have a think about adding some personal rankings. If I do it will probably be after the bigfooty phantom draft. I might do something like my top 30 *but without any of the top 3, zone selections, pre listed and others who have signed with GCS just to give a feel for some of those in the main draft*

Smedts will be a gun, and it would be fairly frustrating if he went with the pick before us, having said that, if we got Smith I wouldn't be displeased, as we definitely need guys who have breakaway speed. I really don't think Port will pass on him though.

Lycett looks like a good selection I just wonder, as you say, with the hit and miss nature of ruckmen with high picks, and clubs other needs, whether he'll really go that high. Someone might get a good slider. He might hold some interest for us but we definitely need to nab the best key defender we can ahead of other needs.

I agre re Sinclair, and Vardy. Have watched him this year in the VFL and he is quite a talent...needs to put some weight on though. Pick 53 could be just about anyone really, it will depend on whether we've addressed our key needs by then or not.

I'm not sure how effective Smith would be for Port Adelaide. Smith I see as someone who will either be an out and out star, or someone who just doesn't reach the expectations people have of him. I think he might be one of those players who needs to be in a really good team to trive, so I'm not 100% certain that Port Adelaide will be the best fit, though at the same time I wouldn't discount it either because he is something different.
For Port Adelaide i've settled on Jed Lamb who I think might be a nice different. To some Lamb is rated a top 10 guy, to others more of a 2nd rounder. But if available at this stage and with Lycett possibly gone I like the fit allot. Daniel Motlop wasn't great this season and Port Adelaide could do with some added talent up forward and with his ability to push into the midfield I think he is the ideal selection.

Lycett I think is more of a sure thing than Gorringe. Gorringe is probably the more talented of the pair, but I feel Lycett might become the more consistant and more pure no.1 ruckman. I'm pretty confident Lycett can develop.

Really both Lycett and Smith are good sliders and value selections and potentially really nice additions.

My feeling with your KPPs is that the value picks won't be available early, so you should take one in the 50s you like. There is plenty of KPD depth late in this draft so I think you will find someone in that range easily enough.

Jordon Eades is getting a bit of talk in the Lions forum...he looks like a ripper little forward that the lions could do with for banfield support...whats the chance of him getting drafted? and by the lions?

Interesting name. I think he might be available as a rookie. Has some nice speed and natural football ability. Really natural crumbing forward.

Probably a little short to go much earlier, not strong overhead and probably doesn't have the endurance to push up into the midfield, but as a pure small crumbing forward he could be a nice rookie option.

Port are VERY unlikely to take a small forward (Lamb) with our first pick given that Hitchcock was a revelation this year and we recruited Phillips (via GC) in the off season.

I know I describe Lamb as more of a small forward. But I see him as a forward who can play midfield comfortably.

Also Port Adelaide's efficiency by foot hasn't been great this year, Lamb is a pin point kick from all over the field (not just infront of goal), so he should also improve that area.

For Port he would likely play 70% forward, 30% wing. And maybe later in his career more of a midfielder.

The other factor in favour of Lamb going early is that he is viewed as good value at this stage by most clubs. Some clubs rate Lamb as a top 10 guy. Not sure where Port Adelaide view him, but considering relative weaknesses I think he is a good fit and other more pure midfielders can be taken in the 30s.

I know I describe Lamb as more of a small forward. But I see him as a forward who can play midfield comfortably.

Also Port Adelaide's efficiency by foot hasn't been great this year, Lamb is a pin point kick from all over the field (not just infront of goal), so he should also improve that area.

For Port he would likely play 70% forward, 30% wing. And maybe later in his career more of a midfielder.

The other factor in favour of Lamb going early is that he is viewed as good value at this stage by most clubs. Some clubs rate Lamb as a top 10 guy. Not sure where Port Adelaide view him, but considering relative weaknesses I think he is a good fit and other more pure midfielders can be taken in the 30s.

70/30 is still a small forward in my book and we have much more pressing needs than that. I willl be very surprised if his name is called at 16.

Hey knight, just interested as to why Brad Harvey didn't make your top 80 odd? With his great testing I would have expected he might get a gig with a club's late picks, or is it still rookie draft for him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back