Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2011 Mock Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not if you listen to Melbourne supporters they seem to think he would go top 3 next year if he wasn't a F/S pick.

With O'Meara + Crouch going minidraft. Probably would. Absolutely machine Viney. Will be an excellent get for Melbourne.

Only Whitfield and possibly Grundy would be higher rated.

Viney even though he is that year younger is already better than Greene and many of those likely to go top 10 this year.

:thumbsu:

#47 Collingwood – Haiden Schlothe (WA - Fwd)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 16/06/1993
Recruited from: South Fremantle Football Club
Style: Mark LeCras
Player comparison:
Range: 40-undrafted
Profile: Really good user of the footy. Looks dangerous whenever he gets near it. Good reader of the play. Has that radar where he just knows exactly where the goals are. Looks incredibly draftable. Has really impressed me and stood out in the couple of games I’ve seen of him. Can play up the field but just love what I’ve seen of him as a forward!
Why:

After Getting Elliot I would not select another player who is Very Simmlar.

I would rather go for going by your mock is:

#54 Melbourne – Tom Curran (VIC – KPF/KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 18/09/1993
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style: Sam Fisher
Player comparison:
Range: 30-60
Profile: Can play both key position forward or back well. The thing that stands out with Tom is his marking ability, very strong mark overhead and on the lead. Good size. Lacks a yard of pace. Was ok during the U18 championships but didn’t stand out as much as I’d hoped. Has since really built his form up and played some really good football to close out the season as a key defender.
Why:

or

#56 Fremantle – Fletcher Roberts (VIC – KPF/Ruck)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 03/06/1993
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 35-rookie
Profile: Athletic key forward who can play in the ruck. Will be best known for his outstanding effort in TAC Cup grand final kicking 5 goals, 3 of which in the final quarter to win the game. Players are made on the big stage and Roberts will get big consideration because we now know that he can lift for the moment in the big games when he has to. Is at a great high and the potential is there for him to develop.
Why:

what players do you see Brisbane target at picks 8 12 29 30 I see us trade 34 for Jordan Lisle this is how i see it
8.Toby Green
12.Jackson Paine
29.Todd Elton
30.Andrew Bosely

I'd look at:
8. Hoskin-Elliot/Buntine/Kavanagh
12. Best available (probably a mid - maybe Greene)
29. Bolger (GWS might take early, but if not might slide), if not available then one of the below KPPs
30. Dobosz/Elton/Frost
*If retain 34 one of these KPPs or Tynan could be an appropriate fit. Also like Waldhuter if available and think he could represent some unique value.

Boseley I wouldn't take so early. Paine, maybe. Greene you could probably get at 12 (GWS have enough mids already so might let him slide since he is more of a pure mid).

May I say, you are spot on with Mitch Brewer I got footage of him from his dad and his kicking is very good for a big man, 19 years of age(I think) and can play forward, he puts pressure on opponents and tackles well. I was really impressed by him I think he will be a late ND pick or rookie pick at the very least.

Have had him fairly high in my power rankings for a while.
Also have the Brewer footage.

I think at his size he has strong potential and brings a fairly unique package. Would like to see him be able to develop some ability to go forward, take strong contested grabs, impact more contest as well as continue to be that big, physical ruckman around the ground. I think this can all develop.

With most clubs likely to only use 2 (if promoting a rookie), 3 or possibly 4 picks in this years draft I see Brewer more likely going in the rookie draft. But I do agree that he is well worth a shot.

Coll + Bris and possibly 2 or 3 others are considering from what I am led to believe.

After Getting Elliot I would not select another player who is Very Simmlar.

I would rather go for going by your mock is:

or

Schlothe is probably more of a unique forward. Currenty we have Elliot, Ugle and Blair who are more the tackling pressure forwards. Schlothe is a different and special forward who is allot more lively with ball in hand and can do a few more special things in the LeCras way - though is slightly limited because he doesn't have that oppositive boot yet.
So Schlothe isn't really just another player similar to what we already have.
If we looked at a similar type on the cheap then a Patrick Rose would be much the same who we could add pretty easily through the rookie draft.

With our earlier pick I'd look at a Lockyer or Kersten (if looking taller), who both while undersized are none the less both solid options as those forwards and fairly immediate relative to other less physically developed options.

Curran I consider to be more of a 3rd rounder. Strong mark, but lacks pace. Didn't have a great finals series so I expect us to pass on him. Much the same as a Darcy Barden of last year.

Fletcher Roberts I expect we will consider. Particularly because he finished the season off with that great grand final performance. But I do question whether he will develop into a proper key forward - has also played allot as an undersized ruck and just not convinced on him as a key forward.

Personally though for the Pies I like Ben Brown, Brett Eddy, Jimmi Savage and Ben Gazzola (as rookies).

Dean Galea also could be a goer if we are looking for that pure depth guy who is good enough to come into the side and play to a Jack Anthony standard.

*This year just probably isn't the year to go after a quality KPF - especially considering where we are picking from. But some of these rookie options I listed while they are that year or so older, I see probably better potential than in many of those KPPs who will probably on in the national draft.

I'd look at:
8. Hoskin-Elliot/Buntine/Kavanagh
12. Best available (probably a mid - maybe Greene)
29. Bolger (GWS might take early, but if not might slide), if not available then one of the below KPPs
30. Dobosz/Elton/Frost
*If retain 34 one of these KPPs or Tynan could be an appropriate fit. Also like Waldhuter if available and think he could represent some unique value.

Boseley I wouldn't take so early. Paine, maybe. Greene you could probably get at 12 (GWS have enough mids already so might let him slide since he is more of a pure mid).

Have had him fairly high in my power rankings for a while.
Also have the Brewer footage.

I think at his size he has strong potential and brings a fairly unique package. Would like to see him be able to develop some ability to go forward, take strong contested grabs, impact more contest as well as continue to be that big, physical ruckman around the ground. I think this can all develop.

With most clubs likely to only use 2 (if promoting a rookie), 3 or possibly 4 picks in this years draft I see Brewer more likely going in the rookie draft. But I do agree that he is well worth a shot.

Coll + Bris and possibly 2 or 3 others are considering from what I am led to believe.

Schlothe is probably more of a unique forward. Currenty we have Elliot, Ugle and Blair who are more the tackling pressure forwards. Schlothe is a different and special forward who is allot more lively with ball in hand and can do a few more special things in the LeCras way - though is slightly limited because he doesn't have that oppositive boot yet.
So Schlothe isn't really just another player similar to what we already have.
If we looked at a similar type on the cheap then a Patrick Rose would be much the same who we could add pretty easily through the rookie draft.

With our earlier pick I'd look at a Lockyer or Kersten (if looking taller), who both while undersized are none the less both solid options as those forwards and fairly immediate relative to other less physically developed options.

Curran I consider to be more of a 3rd rounder. Strong mark, but lacks pace. Didn't have a great finals series so I expect us to pass on him. Much the same as a Darcy Barden of last year.

Fletcher Roberts I expect we will consider. Particularly because he finished the season off with that great grand final performance. But I do question whether he will develop into a proper key forward - has also played allot as an undersized ruck and just not convinced on him as a key forward.

Personally though for the Pies I like Ben Brown, Brett Eddy, Jimmi Savage and Ben Gazzola (as rookies).

Dean Galea also could be a goer if we are looking for that pure depth guy who is good enough to come into the side and play to a Jack Anthony standard.

*This year just probably isn't the year to go after a quality KPF - especially considering where we are picking from. But some of these rookie options I listed while they are that year or so older, I see probably better potential than in many of those KPPs who will probably on in the national draft.

Agree he is more likely to go in the rookie draft, From what I am led to believe
Collingwood, Brisbane and Richmond are interested but I am not sure how reliable the source is.

KM , looks like the Hawks will have piks 29 and 33 at some stage tomorrow , is there enough talent around that mark that would stop you from trading them for Gillies.....??
Can you give me a name or two that would sway you to keep the piks....Does Marley William's have a big enough tank to play full time Mid ??
Cheers Dasher...

KM , looks like the Hawks will have piks 29 and 33 at some stage tomorrow , is there enough talent around that mark that would stop you from trading them for Gillies.....??
Can you give me a name or two that would sway you to keep the piks....Does Marley William's have a big enough tank to play full time Mid ??
Cheers Dasher...

Don't know where pick 29 comes from? I'm assuming this is for Jordan Lisle? I'll probably wait till the end of trade week till I update.

A Sam Frost is worth looking at if available. Daniel Markworth if he slides through. Michael Talia could slide and is worth looking at. Josh Waldhuter. Should be some interesting options around 30.

Marley Williams would look good on a forward flank. Physically built and has his weapons but endurance poor. Will take time to build up to play midfield minutes.

Gillies is worth a pick around 30. Would go for the trade if you can get it to happen. Being that little bit more experienced might be worth a shot as that instant key defender.

Otherwise you could potentially get Tim Mohr via GWS as an alternate mature key defender who can come in and have an impact now.

Don't know where pick 29 comes from? I'm assuming this is for Jordan Lisle? I'll probably wait till the end of trade week till I update.

A Sam Frost is worth looking at if available. Daniel Markworth if he slides through. Michael Talia could slide and is worth looking at. Josh Waldhuter. Should be some interesting options around 30.

Marley Williams would look good on a forward flank. Physically built and has his weapons but endurance poor. Will take time to build up to play midfield minutes.

Gillies is worth a pick around 30. Would go for the trade if you can get it to happen. Being that little bit more experienced might be worth a shot as that instant key defender.

Otherwise you could potentially get Tim Mohr via GWS as an alternate mature key defender who can come in and have an impact now.

Not a Hawks supporter, but would they go for Jarrad Boumann via GWS? And How high could Ellis-Yolmen go?

I would like Ben Brown as a Possible Leigh Brown Replacement.

Savage would be a Very Interesting Prospect

Hey Knight
If the Bomber do trade out #19. is there any chance of us getting Grigg with our second? Caddy and Grigg would add alot of depth to our mids.. thoughts???

Hey Knight
If the Bomber do trade out #19. is there any chance of us getting Grigg with our second? Caddy and Grigg would add alot of depth to our mids.. thoughts???

Don't think Grigg would get past North at 18.

Now that essendon have aquired pick 31 do you see them going early on kerridge or take a clay smith who i think would be a great fit at essendon being an inside midfielder who reads the clearances well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think Grigg would get past North at 18.

Another inside mid would be superflous for you guys, with Ziebell, Cunnington, Swallow, Adams etc.

You need a good HBF to give you some drive out of defence

Not a Hawks supporter, but would they go for Jarrad Boumann via GWS? And How high could Ellis-Yolmen go?

Boumann is not a bad get via GWS. They needed that taller key defender.

Ellis-Yolmen could probably go 2nd round, but at the moment rate him more of a 3rd rounder.

Hey Knight

Grigg could possibly last till 31, but no guarantees so if you want best to take at 19 since you still have the pick.

Now that essendon have aquired pick 31 do you see them going early on kerridge or take a clay smith who i think would be a great fit at essendon being an inside midfielder who reads the clearances well.

Both would be among the options and neither would be bad gets. Grigg, Markworth or Nelson if any of them slide at 31 would be great gets. Sebastian Ross same. Sheridan and Waldhuter would be two others I think Essendon should consider.

Knightmare mate, love your work, have been a regular visitor to this thread however don't usually post much

I've heard from a couple people that had much to do with the player interviewing process that Zyrus (Waylen) Manson didn't interview too well and many clubs seem uninterested now. I guess we won't know much til draft day, but im really hoping the blues look elsewhere.

I'm an admirer of Paine, Markworth, Waldhuter and Talia for the blues, any chance you would know how Markworth would have gone had he elected to be drafted last year ??

Cheers mate

Knightmare, is Brandon Ellis is midfielder? Why has he gone so high to our pick?

Performances throughout the year sensational. Real high production back flanker. Had going mid 20s prior to draft combine but considering he proved his athleticism and was one of the better players to test at the draft combine has rocketing up my ratings because that athleticism was my big question on him.
Real safe bet and I suspect he will be one of the better selections to come out of the draft, even if he probably isn't rated quite so highly by all.

Knightmare mate, love your work, have been a regular visitor to this thread however don't usually post much

I've heard from a couple people that had much to do with the player interviewing process that Zyrus (Waylen) Manson didn't interview too well and many clubs seem uninterested now. I guess we won't know much til draft day, but im really hoping the blues look elsewhere.

I'm an admirer of Paine, Markworth, Waldhuter and Talia for the blues, any chance you would know how Markworth would have gone had he elected to be drafted last year ??

Cheers mate

Doesn't surprise me about how Manson interviewed. Had he interviewed well would have him inside my top 10.

Markworth wasn't really on the AFL map last year and he probably didn't even know he could play football. Has just came on all of a sudden after playing a number of other sports through his schooling. But this year has just improved and come onto the map as quickly as Isaac Smith did last year which is really exciting.

Talia I'm not sure Carlton need. Really liked what Henderson showed late season and I think he will really establish himself now as a very high level key defender to go with Jamison. Then you have Watson and McCarthy developing as further depth developing.

I see that big need for Carlton being the key forward. With Manson I have been trying to be adventurous, but a Dobosz, Paine, Kersten or McInnes could be among those other options.

Waldhuter would be the one mid I would say for Carlton to look at. Your midfield depth is probably the best going around, but Waldhuter is probably the one with the potential to perhaps go past a couple. Has a unique enough game and might be an interesting fit as that inside player because he has that attack on the ball but also the kicking ability and pace a few of your other mids lack.

Hey Knightmare, I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if we've been discussed yet, but who do you think would be a good pick up for Gold Coast at 24? I saw you said Grigg, who's a supposed slider, could fall as low as 31. Is he someone we should look at?
Thanks.

Considering Essendon badly need some run and drive/small defender surely Ellis would give us that?

If he slips to 19.

Could be an option.

But with Winderlich and Dempsey returning next year is it that high on the list?

Certainly on quality would be high on my list if still available at 19 anyway.

Really like Ross for Essendon though. Ball use + decision making just that much better than others and probably more what you are looking at, or should be.

Hey Knightmare, I haven't read through the whole thread, so I don't know if we've been discussed yet, but who do you think would be a good pick up for Gold Coast at 24? I saw you said Grigg, who's a supposed slider, could fall as low as 31. Is he someone we should look at?
Thanks.

For Gold Coast like Sam Frost allot. Kicking can let him down but would be a great option as a long term CHB. Really unique player because of the drive through his incredible running game he can add. A fit I really like for GC.
Talia could also be an option as a key defender if looking for a more traditional type, but since you added Warnock today I thought something a little different in Frost might be the way to go.m
The other player I like for GC is Markworth. Fairly new to the game but great athlete, skill level very good. Still learning the game, but there's allot to like. Could easily play either through the midfield or up forward.

Grigg is a maybe, but I think Gold Coast can add more midfielders at any time. Really best off continuing to develop existing midfield stocks to see what you have and stock up later if necessary. Don't think Grigg has the upside of some of the other options available.

Could be an option.
For Gold Coast like Sam Frost allot. Kicking can let him down but would be a great option as a long term CHB. Really unique player because of the drive through his incredible running game he can add. A fit I really like for GC.
Talia could also be an option as a key defender if looking for a more traditional type, but since you added Warnock today I thought something a little different in Frost might be the way to go.m
The other player I like for GC is Markworth. Fairly new to the game but great athlete, skill level very good. Still learning the game, but there's allot to like. Could easily play either through the midfield or up forward.

Grigg is a maybe, but I think Gold Coast can add more midfielders at any time. Really best off continuing to develop existing midfield stocks to see what you have and stock up later if necessary. Don't think Grigg has the upside of some of the other options available.
Had a look at the development video of both Frost & Talia and both seem alright. Of the two, Talia looks like the type that could develop into a strong KPD, but I do like Frost's attacking run.

We've got a few developing KPD in Thompson, Hutchins & May, but with both Bock & Warnock in the late 20's, I'd agree in saying one of those would be a good pick up for us. :thumbsu:

ok knightmare get cracking on the official mock draft now we know the draft order!!!!

All there mate. Updated after trade week.

Now it's just about finding out how many delistings + rookie upgrades and shaping the draft around that.
*With many clubs still yet to announce delistings will keep the draft at 4 rounds for now, but likely draft doesn't go much beyond 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back