Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2013 phantom draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Knight...on the Lions #7 pick I really want us to pick a player capable of playing from round 1. We need the quality developing in our team and obviously have alot of holes for a youngster to walk into the team if capable. So my question is, if Freeman is this type or is another Polec? for I see Scharenberg and Sheed as lock in round 1 players... I feel more then never the lions need a pick that can make a real impact very early in his career

With all the lost players I'm not surprised you'd like someone round 1 ready.

Freeman is different to Polec. He's more inside. But will take a year or two to establish himself.

Scharenberg I'm not expecting to see in round 1. He can play some year one but I'm not expecting him to become a regular so early.

Crouch and Sheed of those to be available are those I see as round 1 ready given what they've both achieved respectively.

Knightmare, where will Darcy Hourigan go and can you tell us a bit about him?

I expect Hourigan to go somewhere roughly in the pick 30-40 range to narrow it down.

He's a relatively short key forward. Strongly built. Carrying a little bit of weight and really goes all red in the face after a short run and clearly will need to build up that endurance.

That said in the u18s he's one of the dominant key forwards and someone with a presence and the ability to take a mark. Despite the "puppy fat" he's a good mover for his size. Quick on the lead and creates seperation.

Hey Knightmare, I was looking through some of the footage of Billings and thought he looked a bit like Wingard (or maybe that's what I wanted to see...) and was wondering whether you think the comparison is apt. In terms of foot skills, marking ability, ability to go forward or middle and whether you think Billings can have an impact as a more permanent midfielder?

Wingard is the more athletic of the two with Billings not quite so dynamic. But otherwise there are some similar traits with post possessing that real class.

I liken Billings more to a Dal Santo or Bartel.

Billings has the opportunity to develop into a full time midfielder but in those initial years I expect he'll start out more as a small marking forward who for short periods rotates onto the ball until he really establishes himself.

Hi Knight,

I think that Port's list is in much better shape than people realise. It is the benefit of under performing when we didn't have the funds for a strong football program. Obviously our future success is largely dependant on the improvement of Butcher and Mason Shaw, however we also lack a small lock down defender who is predominately defensive. Is there a small defender out there?

Also, I really enjoyed the footage of Charlie Cameron. Surely someone will take him in the draft.

knightmare, do you brisbane will have to use our picks in the nd to get tickner, conway or smith

Hey KM,

Why do you have Aish's draft range as 2-10? Any reason why you think he could slide to pick 10? Is it due to any go-home factor?

Hey Knightmare.
What are your thoughts on Jared Janson and his chances of being in a Hawks jumper next year?

Also...any updates on who the Hawks may be looking at with pick 24?

Hey Knightmare,
Out of the the players you have tipped to go the 1st round, which ones would you class as having 'elite' foot skills?
Thanks, love your work.

Hi Knight,

I think that Port's list is in much better shape than people realise. It is the benefit of under performing when we didn't have the funds for a strong football program. Obviously our future success is largely dependant on the improvement of Butcher and Mason Shaw, however we also lack a small lock down defender who is predominately defensive. Is there a small defender out there?

Also, I really enjoyed the footage of Charlie Cameron. Surely someone will take him in the draft.

Port's list is on the improve. You've certainly nailed those two first round selections these past two seasons with Wingard and Wines.

I also think Port Adelaide are very well coached. I'm a big wrap for Ken Hinkley. I think he will become one of the better coaches in the competition if he isn't already.

The list is in a much better position than it appeared this time last year. I don't have Port in my top 8 but a middle of the ladder finish is roughly where I have Port at this point.

For a small defender a David Mirra or some of the other mature agers could also be worth looking at.
Joel Wilkinson I feel was also let go of a touch early and would as a pure shutdown player be a handy role player.

Charlie Cameron I feel is a strong chance whether it be national or rookie draft. He's got pace so he'll be looked at, at the least.

knightmare, do you brisbane will have to use our picks in the nd to get tickner, conway or smith

Conway and Tickner can probably be had in the rookie draft. With Brisbane not nominating either it's clear Brisbane either aren't massive wraps for them or are ok in taking the chance of him being available in the rookie draft.

Hey knightmare do you think Conlon could last till 45? Or will someone jump earlier for him?

I expect Conlon to still be available at 45. He hasn't played this year and last year while he showed early promise, all it was, was some early glimpses.

Hey KM,

Why do you have Aish's draft range as 2-10? Any reason why you think he could slide to pick 10? Is it due to any go-home factor?

Aish won't fall any further than pick 6. I just haven't narrowed his draft range as far as I perhaps could have.

Hey Knightmare.
What are your thoughts on Jared Janson and his chances of being in a Hawks jumper next year?

Also...any updates on who the Hawks may be looking at with pick 24?

He's someone I can imagine the Hawks growing to like at his size as someone relatively skilled with the ability to play midfield or on a flank.

He probably won't go in the 20s but in the 3rd round could be a good get.

Hey Knightmare,
Out of the the players you have tipped to go the 1st round, which ones would you class as having 'elite' foot skills?
Thanks, love your work.

Elite would be McDonald.

Of still exceptionally high quality: Billings, Aish, Acres, Kelly, Freeman and Salem.

Brilliant work KM - you're a machine with your responses.

Can we get an eta for your updated Phantom?

May update this weekend if I hear any rumblings but more likely next weekend I'll get another update in.

KM, sorry if I keep asking questions.
Could ZaK Jones slide to pick 36 and I herd Geelong are considering drafting him with 16?
C2B

Likely not available that late. I expect him to go top 30.

Elite would be McDonald.

Of still exceptionally high quality: Billings, Aish, Acres, Kelly, Freeman and Salem.

hey KM, where would you put Scharenbergs disposal in this draft class, everywhere ive read it was implied he had one of the better kicks in the draft, is this not the case? watching his vids he does seem to be verygood

hey KM, where would you put Scharenbergs disposal in this draft class, everywhere ive read it was implied he had one of the better kicks in the draft, is this not the case? watching his vids he does seem to be verygood

From what I can see hes good but not amazing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks KM.

Other names that I'm growing to other than Jansen are Patrick Cripps and Eli Templeton. Any chance Cripps lasting to the Hawks first pick at 24 and would he be on their radar given he isn't blessed with pace?

As you can see, I'm taking a liking to taller midfielders as I think this is the way the game may head in the near future.

Of these names, who would you take if you were a Hawk recruiter with our picks if still available and filling our midfield needs?

Patrick Cripps
Eli Templeton
Luke Reynolds
Jarred Jansen
Dayle Garlett

Cheers mate, always appreciate your replies and views....such a well informed read.

Scharenberg is a damaging kick. Just some inconsistencies at times.

hi knightmare, what are your thoughts on Alex Carr (Gippsland Power) and Bryden Squire (Murray Bushrangers)?

You've got a good eye picking out Carr and Squire.

Carr is not a big body. He's a one way running high volume accumulator who doesn't like to handball but can do some damage with his penetrating kick. Very draftable.

Squire takes on the game and in a similar way to Hartung thanks to his excellent endurance he can run harder more often and better than most with his pace also good. Being a forward though when the delivery dries up he can go cold being someone who doesn't win his own footy.

Either could get drafted but probably late/rookie. Neither without their talents.

KM what are your thoughts on Guy Dickson?

I like his game - mostly as a forward as that high flyer. I just haven't heard interest from clubs so he probably goes undrafted.

It's a shame that he hasn't been given the opportunity to be features up forward more because he's got ability and someone I would be prepaired to take late/rookie.

Thanks KM.

Other names that I'm growing to other than Jansen are Patrick Cripps and Eli Templeton. Any chance Cripps lasting to the Hawks first pick at 24 and would he be on their radar given he isn't blessed with pace?

As you can see, I'm taking a liking to taller midfielders as I think this is the way the game may head in the near future.

Of these names, who would you take if you were a Hawk recruiter with our picks if still available and filling our midfield needs?

Patrick Cripps
Eli Templeton
Luke Reynolds
Jarred Jansen
Dayle Garlett

Cheers mate, always appreciate your replies and views....such a well informed read.

Cripps will probably go somewhere around pick 24. He's a fair chance of being available. Hawthorn of those newer generation mids mostly have smaller types so he could potentially be a fit.

I think watching Fremantle and their tall midfielders play such a strong inside game many clubs will be thinking the same with those taller mids.

Reynolds for starters isn't a midfielder, so if you draft him you're getting more a leadup forward. Garlett probably not a person I'd want to bring to my club, early draft anyway. Templeton has been good for a while but I was hoping for more from him this year. Perhaps not for me. Then Jansen is probably available later in the draft. So Cripps of those is probably if looking for a bigger bodied midfielder in the 2nd round the pick.

Any bolters apart from Bontempelly Knighta?

No other obvious major risers at this point.

What are your thoughts on Ben Cavarra?

Small, runs all day. Accumulates well in the TAC.

May make a rookie list but can't see him going in the national draft with so many other quality smalls to go this year.

what sort of players do you think melbourne will go after for their four rookie picks?

Don't be surprised to see some mature talent selectioned. Roos won't want to be playing a bunch of rookies. He's someone who believes men win games so I can't see him wanting to bring too much more youth in.

Hey Knightmare who do think any of the good midfielders will still be around at the hawks first pick 24

Hey Knightmare who do think any of the good midfielders will still be around at the hawks first pick 24

WaverleyWiz said:
Thanks KM.

Patrick Cripps
Eli Templeton
Luke Reynolds
Jarred Jansen
Dayle Garlett

Cheers mate, always appreciate your replies and views....such a well informed read.​
Cripps will probably go somewhere around pick 24. He's a fair chance of being available. Hawthorn of those newer generation mids mostly have smaller types so he could potentially be a fit.

I think watching Fremantle and their tall midfielders play such a strong inside game many clubs will be thinking the same with those taller mids.

Reynolds for starters isn't a midfielder, so if you draft him you're getting more a leadup forward. Garlett probably not a person I'd want to bring to my club, early draft anyway. Templeton has been good for a while but I was hoping for more from him this year. Perhaps not for me. Then Jansen is probably available later in the draft. So Cripps of those is probably if looking for a bigger bodied midfielder in the 2nd round the pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back